Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Barça, Champions league Last 16 1st leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Fúcking lol at all the 4-0 Barca predictions tonight.

Have some of that.

There were quite a few Arsenal fans on here who were posting along them lines too tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

To think some Arsenal fans were saying Kosc wasn't fit to play for us not to long ago. Stunning performance from him, Clichy and Wilshere in particular.

Pique missing next leg, Sagna back for ours.

I will probably get an infraction if i stay on tonight with the amount of " Barca threw that away " trolls. To think so many people were so sure we could see a 7-0 pasting over two legs. HAVE THAT.

COME ON YOU GUNNERS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Terrific game of football. Congrats to Arsenal.

Glad I put a bet on Arsenal @ 3/1 now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fair play to Arsenal. It will be very difficult in the second leg certainly but at least they have given themselves a chance now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I will probably get an infraction if i stay on tonight with the amount of " Barca threw that away " trolls.

tbf they did throw it away. They never showed up in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I love how hardly anyone seems to think Messi's wrongly ruled-out goal is worthy of comment. I look forward to it not even being mentioned in tomorrow's papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The big test of character for Arsenal will have to be proven at the Nou Camp. Fantastic result tonight which is a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Arsenal deserved the win. Barcelona were retarded, trying to hold onto a 1-0 win instead of playing to your strengths. Valdes was RETARDED for the RVP goal, Messi was muck. Barca should be chastised for the manner in which they played the 2nd half after some of the things they did in the first.

Fair play arsenal, good value for the win. Hope we destroy you in the Camp Nou though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

So proud of Arsenal tonight. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Obaraten wrote: »
    Congrats Arsenal,you done london proud tonight

That's of course if they are actually from London.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Get the Fu*k in. Great win, sets up the second leg well and gives us a chance! So proud of this team tonight, cant stop smiling. Props out to Kos and Jack Wilshere tonight. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

Very proud of them tonight. Kozzer in my opinion was motm. Put pressure on player in position, kept his cool, didn't dive in. Closely followed by Jack W.

Would say Ronnie Whelan is sick.

Epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

shotamoose wrote: »
    I love how hardly anyone seems to think Messi's wrongly ruled-out goal is worthy of comment. I look forward to it not even being mentioned in tomorrow's papers.

Disallowed goal aside, Barca never really got going in the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

If the other team being better than you in the second half is throwing it away, then yeah, they threw it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Must be joking.

Not in the slightest. Barca were relatively poor, Arsenal took advantage. Deserved the win. Bet you won't find Pep claiming otherwise either.
    It's a massive task to get a result in the Nou Camp. Personally I don't think they can do it, but they were worth their win tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I saw a hammering coming on first half. Fair fkn play. Good luck for the return leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Is it 2 or 3 weeks to the 2nd leg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Frisbee wrote: »
    tbf they did throw it away. They never showed up in the second half.

Meeeh. I suppose when i look at the game tomorrow i will agree with you, euphoria at the moment.

It's why your the mod Laura :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Liam O wrote: »
    no, Arsenal just outplayed them.

your having a laugh right. game should have been over at half time about 3 nil. Barca lost concentration and Arsenal seized on that on fair play to them in getting back into it. Arsenal will definitly have to score in Barcelona cuase no way they will keep a clean sheet with the amount of chances they gifted to Barca and no way will Messi play that poor again. If he gets those chances in 2nd leg he will bury them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

shotamoose wrote: »

Doesn't matter, Djorou handled the ball in the box in that play too, Arshavin handled the ball at the end. Doesn't matter, Barcelona didn't deserve to win with that kind of attitude in the 2nd half. Arsenal should be given great credit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Barca were as bad as I have ever seen this team play in that 2nd half....credit to Arsenal for playing with great energy and effort.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A pretty poor performance from Iniesta, Pedro, Alves, not great from Messi. What I said was a 6 or 7 performance at 0-1 is probably now a 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Strange second half. Barca didn't seemed too bothered at all to get things going even when they had the opportunity to do so.

Arsenal were good for their win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Fair play Arsenal, I was cheering for ye the whole time -- don't wanna have to play against Barca ourselves! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Well done Arsenal, Barca still favourites to go through though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Well deserved by Arsenal, the team is really starting to mature.

Knew well it wouldn't be a rout today. I got hammered last year when I said I thought predicted Inter would win, but that was easier to call, Arsenal beat Barca at their own game tonight (which I didn't see coming).

Thought Wilshere was immense today, not just on the ball but off it as well, relentless pressure, love to see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Barca were a bit guilty of taking the foot off the pedal but take absolutely nothing away from that Arsenal performance, that goal was sublime, they gave Barca a taste of their own medicine and they sliced through them like a hot knife through butter. What a goal....

Pep made a huge blunder taking Villa off and fair play to Arsene for making a bold but brilliant sub with Arshavin, it was sensible but also dangerous.

This is coming from a utd supporter. Kudos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

sometimes i have to turn off the tv when giles wont shut up out of pure embarassment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

eZe^ wrote: »
    Doesn't matter, Djorou handled the ball in the box in that play too, Arshavin handled the ball at the end. Doesn't matter, Barcelona didn't deserve to win with that kind of attitude in the 2nd half. Arsenal should be given great credit.

He didn't mention anything about deserving to win - he's talking about the disallowed goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I think barca will be happy enough. Away from the emirates with an away goal and look like they can cut arse open at will. Messi should have had a hat trick, suprising he missed the first half one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

your having a laugh right. game should have been over at half time about 3 nil. Barca lost concentration and Arsenal seized on that on fair play to them in getting back into it. Arsenal will definitly have to score in Barcelona cuase no way they will keep a clean sheet with the amount of chances they gifted to Barca and no way will Messi play that poor again. If he gets those chances in 2nd leg he will bury them
    forgot only the first half of football games count

It's been a while since Barca played against a decent defense and the Arsenal defenders were great in the second half, if they play like that again they will go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

nuxxx wrote: »
    sometimes i have to turn off the tv when giles wont shut up out of pure embarassment
    shocked.gif

How dare you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

That_Guy wrote: »
    The big test of character for Arsenal will have to be proven at the Nou Camp.

And they have time to get Nasri fully fit too, he was below par and didn't look up to the pace at times.Excellent result for Arsenal and they should be of the thinking that they can go there and score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Unbelievable finish to the match there. This is why football is the best game in the world. Arsenal showed real character coming back there. Good to see Barca punished for some poor tactics in the second half. No need to go and hold on, they should have picked Arsenal off and killed the tie tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

That's pretty much spot on. I was shouting for Arsenal tonight, but Barca had a lot of very good chances. I'd still put my house on Barca to get through.

#15 wrote: »
    Not in the slightest. Barca were relatively poor, Arsenal took advantage. Deserved the win. Bet you won't find Pep claiming otherwise either.
    It's a massive task to get a result in the Nou Camp. Personally I don't think they can do it, but they were worth their win tonight.

Game should have been over at half time only for Messi's misses and good goalkeeping. But credit where credit is due, Arsenal took advantage of Barca's complacency. Massive defensive effort needed with no mistakes is needed in Barcelona to come through the leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Eamo always makes me laugh
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

depends on how they set it up. If they have plenty of attacking outlets I can't see them not scoring, Barca are very suspect at the back.

That's true I guess. Not the defensive grit set-up though ;)

I dunno. Great result for the gunners but if I was punting on who goes through my money would still be slightly on Barca as much as I'd prefer Arsenal (not only to remove Barca from the CL but also to possibly distract their league charge)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Dunphy saying fabregas didnt show any heart, what a load of crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Just goes to show the mighty Barca arent unbeatable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Paparazzo wrote: »
    That's pretty much spot on. I was shouting for Arsenal tonight, but Barca had a lot of very good chances. I'd still put my house on Barca to get through.

At what odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I am so ****ing happy right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Dunphy on Arsenal's defense....''..........it's a shambles''.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

SDTimeout wrote: »
    To think some Arsenal fans were saying Kosc wasn't fit to play for us not to long ago. Stunning performance from him, Clichy and Wilshere in particular.

Pique missing next leg, Sagna back for ours.

I will probably get an infraction if i stay on tonight with the amount of " Barca threw that away " trolls. To think so many people were so sure we could see a 7-0 pasting over two legs. HAVE THAT.

COME ON YOU GUNNERS.

Good point about them missing Piqué and possibly Puyol. Maybe B52 will reign some terror! Will be glad to see Sagna back. Thought Eboue was muck at times tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What is the story with Vermaelen, when is he back ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Colinboy wrote: »
    Just goes to show the mighty Barca arent unbeatable!

They have lost already this season.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Jack Wilshere put in one of the best midfield performances iv seen in an Arsenal shirt for quality and effort. Take a bow.

Up The Arsenal.

forgot only the first half of football games count

It's been a while since Barca played against a decent defense and the Arsenal defenders were great in the second half, if they play like that again they will go through.

No it doesnt. but if yee are 3 down at half time do you think yee would have got back into that game. I dont think so somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

When song went off and nasri went to midfield they looked better. With wiltshire, nasri and fabregas they held the ball better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Mister men wrote: »
    Barca were as bad as I have ever seen this team play in that 2nd half....credit to Arsenal for playing with great energy and effort.

You're a good luck charm MM.

Every match thread that you appear in (this one, Spurs last night, every Utd comeback) you seem to spur on those teams to victory.

On behalf of Utd, Arsenal and Spurs fans everywhere, may your low-level trolling continue for many years to come.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement