Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Barça, Champions league Last 16 1st leg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

Good result for the Woolwich Wanderers, Barca thought they had it won, always a dangerous thought before the 90 mins are up. I give the Woolwich half a chance of going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Headshot wrote: »
    What is the story with Vermaelen, when is he back ?

Should only be 2-3 weeks away but hes had a few setbacks this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Match looked great in HD too! This reminds me why football, when played like this, IS The Beautiful Game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

iMuse wrote: »
    Should only be 2-3 weeks away but hes had a few setbacks this season.

damn

He may not be back for the 2nd leg, shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Who gives a **** who deserved it. No reckless tackles, no play acting, chances either end, some wonderful interplay, some great last gasp defending... why can't football always be like this? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

#15 wrote: »
    You're a good luck charm MM.

Every match thread that you appear in (this one, Spurs last night, every Utd comeback) you seem to spur on those teams to victory.

On behalf of Utd, Arsenal and Spurs fans everywhere, may your low-level trolling continue for many years to come.

:pac::pac::pac:

I aim to please many my friend :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

No it doesnt. but if yee are 3 down at half time do you think yee would have got back into that game. I dont think so somehow.
    Obviously if Arsenal were 3 down it would be harder to come back and win :confused:

what's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

What is the story with Vermaelen, when is he back ?

Starting back with the reserves in two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Meh, our 3-2 victory was better. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

efb wrote: »
    Match looked great in HD too! This reminds me why football, when played like this, IS The Beautiful Game.

Tbh the second half was really dull with poor atmosphere until arsenal scored and it was much better.
    And valdes wtf, awful goalkeeper, really awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

When song went off and nasri went to midfield they looked better. With wiltshire, nasri and fabregas they held the ball better

wilted-flower1-copy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

So Barca miss chances first half... should have been 3-0 apparently.

Arsenal miss chances first half... should still have been 3-0. Arsenal's missed chances don't count.

Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Mister men wrote: »
    I aim to please many my friend :D

best of luck tomorrow night in the johnston paints trophy:P

God dang it i enjoyed that game so much my tea is gone cold.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Possession stats interesting Arsenal 47% - 53% Barca - Wonder when the last time Barca's was so low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Best 10 minutes of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

To All the Doubters,

I was right, YOU were wrong :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    So Barca miss chances first half... should have been 3-0 apparently.

Arsenal miss chances first half... should still have been 3-0. Arsenal's missed chances don't count.

Nice.

Barca didn't miss chances.

They had a perfectly good goal disallowed. And in fact could have had a penalty if they had missed that chance instead of the goal being disallowed.

Then they had a clear penalty disallowed when Koshelny made no attempt to play the ball and dragged Pedro down.

And that's apart from the missed chances. The quality of the commentating on ITV was horrendously biased, I'm guessing RTE was the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Liam O wrote: »
    Obviously if Arsenal were 3 down it would be harder to come back and win :confused:

what's your point?

yee were lucky to be only 1 nil down which allowed the players to believe yee could get back into the game. Wenger gave a good half team talk which put the confidence back into his players cause there heads had dropped and as the the 2nd half went along there belief grew. This mainly came from the much better defending in 2nd half....Koschelney MOTM in my opinion and definitly in top 3 signings of the season in premier league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Did Dunphy actually watch the game or did he put a paper bag on his head where he keeps his pre-conceptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Best 10 minutes of my life.

Yeah but what about the game?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Memnoch wrote: »

They had a perfectly good goal disallowed. And in fact could have had a penalty if they had missed that chance instead of the goal being disallowed.

Then they had a clear penalty disallowed when Koshelny made no attempt to play the ball and dragged Pedro down.

And that's apart from the missed chances. The quality of the commentating on ITV was horrendously biased, I'm guessing RTE was the same.

On RTÉ it was pretty much a Barca wankfest until Arsenal equalized..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Two lovely goals. The second one particular reminded me of Spurs ;) Fair play to Arsenal though. Great result and I think they definitely have a chance in the return leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Chiles just said Messi was "magnificent".....does that make Kos and JD "otherworldly"? Does Chiles know that word?F*ck back to your Jeremy Kyle warm up gig ya brum knob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

We have different definitions of dragging someone down . What about Pedro controlling the ball in that same incident with his hand across his body ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

SuprSi wrote: »
    Two lovely goals. The second one particular reminded me of Spurs ;) Fair play to Arsenal though. Great result and I think they definitely have a chance in the return leg.

yeah we could do with them knockin out barca alright:D

Giles and the dunph laying into Walcott.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Chiles just said Messi was "magnificent".....does that make Kos and JD "otherworldly"? Does Chiles know that word?F*ck back to your Jeremy Kyle warm up gig ya brum knob.

Messi was bollix all night. Haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

SDTimeout wrote: »
    We have different definitions of dragging someone down . What about Pedro controlling the ball in that same incident with his hand across his body ?

Never a pen in a million years!!!

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Possession stats interesting Arsenal 47% - 53% Barca - Wonder when the last time Barca's was so low.
    60-40 on UEFA site. Really frustrates me how these stats change from place to place.

Completed over twice the amount of passes that Arsenal did... but as people always say when Arsenal draw despite possession, there's only stat that counts!

Didn't like Fabs first answer.Bit worrying.Robin is a cool motherf*cker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jaysus somebody get Van Persie a strepsil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Didn't like Fabs first answer.Bit worrying.Robin is a cool motherf*cker.

Just being honest, fair play to him!

Goodnight so, that's me out of this argument I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I ****ing hate Houghton

From his advert to his punditry, just wish he **** off

L'prof wrote: »
    Just being honest, fair play to him!

Yea I am probably thinking too much!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

greendom wrote: »
    Did Dunphy actually watch the game or did he put a paper bag on his head where he keeps his pre-conceptions.

At half time he said arsenal had no chances, the ball was never up that end. At full time he said "and arsenal had 3 or 4 great chances in the first half too".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I ****ing hate Houghton

From his advert to his punditry, just wish he **** off

Annoys the sh*t out of me too, last CL campaign he was talking about how fun it'll be watching Alves and Messi link up for Argentina in South Africa, because they have such a deadly partnership at club level. Clueless fool. :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Colinboy wrote: »
    Just goes to show the mighty Barca arent unbeatable!

You can read plenty of opinions from Barcelona fans in the superthread saying the exact same thing for the past few weeks...

If Barcelona don't get through in the second leg, there'll be war. Being 0-1 up in 77 minutes and pretty much got Arsenal on their knees is not a position to be losing 2-1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Excelent game 2 teams i could watch play all day still think arsenal are up against it in the return leg but so much to admire about Arsenal and in Jack Willshire i think they have the superstar of the future. Good Luck to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Seeing all these people talk about decisions etc. Yeah, that is football. Happens all the time. Arsenal probably should of taken the lead first, Van persie should of hit the back of the net with his first chance. Abidal made a fantastic clearance to stop van persie scoring near post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Goodnight so, that's me out of this argument I think.

Yes I can see how that looks. But you know what I meant. i.e. it should have been 3-0 missed chances or not.

Congratulations on arguing semantics rather than substance. Goodnight to you, Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

What a game! I am hoping for Barca to go through but i am delighted for Arsenal, its not often you see teams stick to a proper game plan against Barca and it worked brilliantly.

Iniesta did very little, even though Alves and Messi were not on top of there game there movement was very dangerous, it could easily have finished 3-2 to Barca, i don't think i've ever see Messi miss 2 chances like he did tonight.

The return leg should be another cracker. Barca will miss Pique a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

If Arsenal knock out Barca, can we forget about the whole 'best team of all time' tag... seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Paparazzo wrote: »
    At half time he said arsenal had no chances, the ball was never up that end. At full time he said "and arsenal had 3 or 4 great chances in the first half too".

In fairness he said they have no chance over the two legs but they had a chance tonight, i dont know why im defending him because he is a tit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

B*llocks, if Messi had put in that early chance I would have been 150 euro better off.

Ah well, well done Arsenal. Barca were creaming themself up and having a w*nk while the tie was still very much alive. I'd say things will be different in the Nou Camp though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Great gae of football betwen tow quality sides. Aesenal did very well to get back into it and I was happy for them getting the win. But really Barca could've been out of sight before then. I thought Messi was a tad self indulgent tonight, the early chance he had should been stuck away instead of trying to feint the chip. Dare I say if Ronaldo did that he'd be getting slated?

Wilshire was absolutely class, what a mature performance from such a young guy. Arsenal's second was a thing of beauty.

Barca will still win pretty handily at Camp Nou I think, Arsenal's playing such a high line was exposed a few times and will be decimated if they do it again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

If Arsenal knock out Barca, can we forget about the whole 'best team of all time' tag... seriously?

If Barcelona are knocked out because of those last 13 stupid minutes, then no, no we can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

dfx- wrote: »
    If Barcelona are knocked out because of those last 13 stupid minutes, then no, no we can't.

There's a second leg...

Advertisement