Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Barça, Champions league Last 16 1st leg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Can't wait for this,should be a cracker.Hopefully Arsenal make it a contest this time.The first 20 minutes of the first leg last year was some of the best football I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Barca are clearly the favourites but at least this time arsenal will have centre backs and RvP should be fit, as well as Fabregas, Arshavin and potentially Nasri. Walcott can cause Maxwell plenty of problems as we have seen before. The main concern for Arsenal this time is Eboue playing against Pedro and Villa in the first leg.

While it is of course possible, the Barca fans claiming victories by 7 goals need to get their heads out of their own arses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Jesus do you remember the first half in the home leg last year. Walloped.

Got my tickets this time around. Hope wenger doesnt play an under strength team like some are suggesting. If he does ill want my money back.

People forget the team that went to the nou camp silvestre, denilson, diaby, rosicky, bendtner.

Remember the chance we had to go two up that bendtner missed.

This year, i suppose we will be beaten over the two legs, but with the team we have available we have a far better chance. Hope all stay fit for away leg.

I fear a bit for koscielny. Hes prone to be a bit stupid sometimes. Cant wait for vermaelan djourou combo. Djourou was solid again yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Can't believe what I'm reading about Arsenal here. Yes they do have a stronger unit than last year, but Barca have a much stronger unit too. And had Barca taken their numerous clear-cut chances last year they would have won by 3/4. I will be putting my money where my mouth is and I'll be backing Barca at -2, seems foolish but of the many games I've seen Barca play in this year they have been outstanding, including against - what is widely considered - the second best club side in the world. Barca always produce the goods when it matters, and I fear for any team that tries to play open football against them, and I'd be saying the same thing if Spurs/United/Chelsea were adopting similar tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Hoping for good game. Anyone good enough to keep Barca from winning everything? Maybe so but certainly not Arsenal I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I can understand the optimism from some Arsenal fans as we're going into the game with a much stronger side than last year. But trying to play football against Barca, we'll be slaughtered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Don't think Barca will win this first leg.

2-2 draw I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I'd gladly take a score draw away from this game, then get Puyol back and try and play some good ball at the Camp Nou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

To Arsenal fans who don't watch La Liga or know Barca, Puyol the center back is out and that is a huge blow.

With him out the defence is making elementary mistakes. They were 1-0 down to Sporting Gijon last night and were lucky to get back in. Barca played Real Betis in the Spanish Cup, who are in the 2nd division. Barca won the first leg 5-0, but lost the second 3-1 with Puyol out, going 2-0 down in the first 7 minutes.

IMO it is a distinct possibliity for Arsenal to be 2 goals ahead at some stage in the emirates. I think Barca will go through on aggregrate but I think Arsenal can take the home win.

• Advertisement

Milito won't play CB, Abidal will, meaning we'll be much less error prone in comparison to last night and Betis. Milito looks extremely liable to mind farts, I'm hoping he can sort that out in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I really can't wait for this, it really is going to be a cracking couple of games. Arsenal i reckon are a lot stronger, Nasri is a big loss though, i reckon Barca should get a draw here though and win at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

If we can't shut them out in the emirates, then it'll leave me with absolutely no optimism for the return leg!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

2-1 Barca at the Emirates.
    4-0 At the Nou Camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭sonic85

to have any hope of beating barca a team has to out work them and we wont do that. i remember watching the last years games and seeing two or three barca players hounding one of our players any time we got the ball - it was awesome to watch. i think well be beaten home and away my only hope is we can make a proper game of it

To beat Barca Arsenal will just have to utilise Walcott's pace properly.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal's squad was at pretty much breaking point with regards to injuries (and it broke during the first leg!) so I'd expect a better showing at home this time, but Barca should still win out overall.

Having Walcott fit and on form should make it more difficult/dangerous for Barca to compress the pitch and press like they did for the first half hour at the Emirates last time. We ought to be able to hold onto the ball a bit better with the players we've got now, though it's a pity Nasri is likely to miss the game.

I'm mostly just hoping for a better display this time and no injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I think Barca will spank the Arse home and away. By spank i mean win by 2 or more goals.

eZe^ wrote: »
    To beat Barca Arsenal will just have to utilise Walcott's pace properly.

one player wont win this game for arsenal itll have to be a team effort. walcott has unreal pace and is a good finisher but thats about it IMO. if hes denied space his effectiveness is drastically reduced.

Just watched this, amazing. Against supposedly the 2nd best passing side on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Just watched this, amazing. Against supposedly the 2nd best passing side on the planet.

I think that's a fair assesment. Would you not agree.

• Advertisement

his range of passing is class. so cool and calm on the ball - a class act

Delighted ye won't have a target man like Zlatan against us this season, hopefully we won't be as exposed by ye're pace though!

peabutler wrote: »
    I think that's a fair assesment. Would you not agree.

I'd probably do alright, it was more of a reflection of how Xavi and Barcelona's midfield completely dominated the team who are seen as closest to them when it comes to possession based football.

L'prof wrote: »
    Delighted ye won't have a target man like Zlatan against us this season, hopefully we won't be as exposed by ye're pace though!

Instead you've got a team that's about 25% better. :P

Instead you've got a team that's about 25% better. :P

Yeah, but generally speaking we don't do very well against Zlatanesque players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

People forget all that happened in that first leg last year - Arshavin and Gallas off early, Song back into defence, a 2-2 draw out of nowhere despite all the possession and shots, a one-man exhibition of finishing in the second leg (against a severely weakened Arsenal team). And at the end of it all, Arsenal produced a great (dominant) half-hour or so and could even have nicked a win at home. Avoid the head-start this year and we can be competitive.

I expect Barca to go through but I know Arsenal could do it with some luck and a Barca off-day in the first leg. I rarely get too pushed about what order you play teams in the CL knock-outs but I fully expect Arsenal to go for this properly and give it their best shot. To do anything else would be foolish, I think - there's no guarantee we'll beat Birmingham anyway so give it a go and use the kind FA Cup draw to rest players.

I'm going over for the second leg and I'd love for it to still be up for grabs*. Eboue playing worries me a lot but likewise, Barca without Puyol should give us a chance or two.

* Remember last time it was "up for grabs" when Arsenal had a mammoth task on their hands? Nothing is ever impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Hope arsenal win. Gives them 2 extra fixtures in April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Arsenal have zero hope.

They struggle against physical teams but struggle more against a team that is better than them technically because it is something they were not used to. Barca have better players in every segment of the field. When they give the ball away their players chase and chase and chase to get it back. The Arsenal players saunter around the field waiting to get it back. That was my standout memory from last year. Barca harrasing and tackling without the ball and Arsenal looking lazy. They are proven winners and every time a team is supposed to give to give them are game Barca wipe them out. Arsenal have won nothing in years.

Arsenal fans are in denial if they are forgetting how Barca had 80+ possession in the first leg last year and that was away from home.

Barca will wipe Arsenal out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

They battered us in the first leg last year.

80+% possesion for Barca? Are you sure about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Arsenal should rest players for the CC final in a few weeks as it doesn't matter who they play against barca, only gonna be one outcome all day long.

shano_88 wrote: »

Nah, it was 62% in the first leg and 63% in the 2nd leg, but we won't let that get in the way of his complete dismissal of Arsenal's chances. Not that I think we'll go through or anything, I just think we have slightly more than no chance!

As for resting player for the CC final? Give me a break Berba, in that case Spurs should do the same so that they are better able to fight for champions league qualification for next season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Barca are the favorites. Anyone who thinks Arsenal don't have a chance should stop being silly. Aside from the usual, it's football anything can happen point, Arsenal are in the top 10 teams in Europe, if not the top 5. They've won 7 of the last 8 games, and are in top form. They have Fabregas and Van Persie, who both can claim they are in the top 3 in the world in their position. Yes they have weaknesses, but I wouldn't be utterly shocked to see them win. I think Barca will win, but I won't be massively surprised either way.

For me, the reason Barca will win is not because of Xavi or Messi, but Iniesta. He is the big game player who makes the difference. His injury imo is the reason why they didn't win the CL last year. His talent is what won Spain the world cup and what won Barca the CL the year before. He is the magic man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

BERBA wrote: »
    Arsenal should rest players for the CC final in a few weeks as it doesn't matter who they play against barca, only gonna be one outcome all day long.

Seems a few Arsenal fans here agree with BERBA

As for resting player for the CC final? Give me a break Berba, in that case Spurs should do the same so that they are better able to fight for champions league qualification for next season!

Why would we do that? we got a 50/50 chance of beating AC Milan , cant honestly say ye got the same percentage chance of doing Barca. Be honest with yourself L'prof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

For the first 20mins I think it was about 80% - phenomenal stuff but certainly didnt finish that high.

Arsenal fans are in denial if they are forgetting how Barca had 80+ possession in the first leg last year and that was away from home.

Barca will wipe Arsenal out.

And you seem to be forgetting that despite dominating this game against a severely depleted Arsenal team, they still gave away a two goal lead and were losing on aggregate at one point in the second leg.

Nobody is saying that Arsenal are favourites at all. But to right them off completely is incredibly short sighted. Jesus christ you'd swear Barca were playing Crawley town

redout wrote: »
    For the first 20mins I think it was about 80% - phenomenal stuff but certainly didnt finish that high.

Yeah that first 20 minutes was absolutely incredible from Barca.

Resting players for a Champions league last 16 tie against anyone is just stupid.

Why would we do that? we got a 50/50 chance of beating AC Milan , cant honestly say ye got the same percentage chance of doing Barca. Be honest with yourself L'prof

I see Milan going through that tie is all, same as you with Barca. I don't see us needing to rest players for the CC final, we play in the CL every year and have a squad that's capable of doing so. I said at the start of the season that being in the CL would drop Spurs out of the top 4 this season and I stand by that. Anyway, this is all very OT. Resting players for the game against Barca is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time. While I don't think we'll go through, we always have a chance against anyone. Why should we give up before a ball is kicked? If you've got nothing sensible to say, just refrain from doing so!

Resting players for a Champions league last 16 tie against anyone is just stupid.

not when you have a cup final the week after you play barca and also when you havent won a trophy for 5 years

• Advertisement

I see Milan going through that tie is all, same as you with Barca. I don't see us needing to rest players for the CC final, we play in the CL every year and have a squad that's capable of doing so. I said at the start of the season that being in the CL would drop Spurs out of the top 4 this season and I stand by that. Anyway, this is all very OT. Resting players for the game against Barca is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time. While I don't think we'll go through, we always have a chance against anyone. Why should we give up before a ball is kicked? If you've got nothing sensible to say, just refrain from doing so!

jaysus some of your own crew agree with the idea:rolleyes:

not when you have a cup final the week after you play barca and also when you havent won a trophy for 5 years

Our next match is against Leyton Orient in the cup not the Carling Cup final. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

The CC isn't a real cup anyways.

jaysus some of your own crew agree with the idea:rolleyes:

I've yet to see hear it from any Arsenal fan and if I did I'd be quick to tell them what I thought about it. Why respond to the post if you've nothing meaningful to add?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Don't forget that Barcelona could have easily been 6-0 up in the first half of the first leg last year, that's how bloody dominant they were. It was as though there was a defensive forcefield of jammyness around the Arsenal goalmouch and Zlatan was horrifyingly inaccurate. Also I recall it being 80% possession in the first half and significantly less when they fell asleep after going 2-0 up.

Arsenal fans, stop being delusional and take your beating like men instead of the whiny petulant kids you usually are.

I've yet to see hear it from any Arsenal fan and if I did I'd be quick to tell them what I thought about it. Why respond to the post if you've nothing meaningful to add?

post number 18 on this thread should sort that for you , that meaningful enough for you

• Advertisement

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Have to admit i chuckled a bit at the hypocrisy.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Have to admit i chuckled a bit at the hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy, no. I was making a point about his two previous posts. Both petty and irrelevant, I didn't really feel the need to articulate myself. I probably should have, but he's a waste of my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

It will be a tight game.
    However, MVP have more goals between them than Arsenals 9 top goal scorers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

How do Spurs have a better chance than Arsenal, Bale out up against a team with an embarresment of talents up top, Ibra, Cassano, Pato and Robinho included.

Spurs are hardly defensive kings either.

Oh and BTW I saw a stat that Arsenal have only conceded 3 times in PL with JD20 on the pitch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement