Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Barça, Champions league Last 16 1st leg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

peabutler wrote: »
    How do Spurs have a better chance than Arsenal, Bale out up against a team with an embarresment of talents up top,

pssssttttt harry playing games in relation to bale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

BERBA wrote: »
    pssssttttt harry playing games in relation to bale.

Different between ruling him out and mind-games tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

peabutler wrote: »
    Different between ruling him out and mind-games tbh.

you obviously havent been watching sky sports or reading the guardian today

harry thinks bale will make it for tues night now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

you obviously havent been watching sky sports or reading the guardian today

harry thinks bale will make it for tues night now

Oh Sorry for not watching Sky Sports news all day Sunday. Besides Bale i'd be more worried about there attack then his fitness tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    The CC isn't a real cup anyways.

What do you base that on and why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Must be an eye sight problem. Looks like a cup to me with a lot of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Paully D wrote: »
    What do you base that on and why?

I base it on the sheer pointlessness of it and the contempt Wenger has always treated it with until he actually felt like he needed a trophy, any trophy, to end the drought.

Rubbish tournament, should be done away with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I base it on the sheer pointlessness of it and the contempt Wenger has always treated it with until he actually felt like he needed a trophy, any trophy, to end the drought.

Rubbish tournament, should be done away with.

Contempt??? We've been more consistent in the Carling Cup than most under Wenger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Must be an eye sight problem. Looks like a cup to me with a lot of history.

Which you rate more important than the small matter of a CL last 16 tie against the best team in the world,an important game in which to gage the progression of your team

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

Just because Barcelona have great player's doesn't mean they are going to win. Football is football and anything can happen. I'm going to keep my red tinted glasses on and say Arsenal are going to win and I believe we can do it. Barca who? Yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

craggles wrote: »
    Arsenal fans, stop being delusional and take your beating like men instead of the whiny petulant kids you usually are.

At least let us lose the game first - how can we take a beating before its been handed out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

L'prof wrote: »
    Contempt??? We've been more consistent in the Carling Cup than most under Wenger!

It's like Ronnie O'Sullivan playing left-handed and still winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

not when you have a cup final the week after you play barca and also when you havent won a trophy for 5 years

Even if its a complete Mickey Mouse cup final? The Arsenal players want to win the CL, they'll be going out on the pitch against Barca with every intention of winning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

It's like Ronnie O'Sullivan playing left-handed and still winning.

I've seen Ronnie do that and it was awesome.

So I agree with you....that winning the Carling cup is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

craggles wrote: »
    Arsenal fans, stop being delusional and take your beating like men instead of the whiny petulant kids you usually are.

Ha I can see myself getting a soccer forum ban by the end of wednesday reading some of the most arrogant and smug posts in this thread. Barcelona are favorites for the tie but the way some people are going on you would swear Arsenal are some mickey mouse team. I think this tie will be a better tie than last years as both sides are at full strength more or less. We have a good chance of getting through. I would take a draw in the first leg even a score draw as we are capable of scoring in the Nou Camp. Anyway I dont see clean sheets for either side in both legs.

Come on the Arsenal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Wednesday evening on here should be good fun...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

There's an awful lot of muppetry on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'll be at the game as a Barca fan, but don't share the extreme confidence and arrogance of some of the posters here.

Arsenal are a quality side, and anything can happen in football. I'm hoping Barca will do them in of course, but I can see it being close, probably 2-1 or 2-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Posted this last year as well
    2010-03-22.jpg

I think it'll be tight enough in London a score draw I think most likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Nasri taking fitness tests today and tomorrow to see if he's fit to play on Wednesday night.

It would be great to have him playing but unless he's absolutely 100% I hope we don't risk him, he's far too important to our season to be rushed back, have a setback and then miss two months. I'd rather see a fully fit Nasri at the Nou Camp than a half fit one on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Is Puyol out for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Barca drawing at the weekend is probably the worst result possible for Arsenal. Guardiola's team talk is basically already written.

I expect Barca to comfortably dispose of Arsenal over the two legs. Like last season, the game will probably be still alive come the scond leg, but at Camp Nou they'll absolutely murder that defence.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Barca drawing at the weekend is probably the worst result possible for Arsenal. Guardiola's team talk is basically already written.

I expect Barca to comfortably dispose of Arsenal over the two legs. Like last season, the game will probably be still alive come the scond leg, but at Camp Nou they'll absolutely murder that defence.

Ah here the defence isnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Im not saying its a world class defence by any means but, with Djourou in it we have been keeping clean sheets and rarely conceding more than 1 goal. Statistically in the league this season we have conceded two goals more than Man Utds world class defense. And thats without Vermaelen all season and Djourou being in and out of the side for spells. I think we will concede in both legs but most defenses would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The defence is mediocre, Barca will decimate it. Jesus Newcastle put four past it last week, albeit it with a bit of help from the ref. They look really uncomfortable when they come under pressure and pressure is exactly what they're in from from Messi et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Newcastle put 4 past Squillaci, nothing past Djourou. You may think I'm clutching at straws here but I'm really not. If Squillaci plays in either game then yes Arse will get raped. If Djourou and Koscielny can stay fit then Arse have a shot at keeping the score down. Who knows, Vermaelen could even be back for the second leg should one of the above get injured.

Just remembered Eboue will be playing on Wednesday. Fúck.

• Advertisement

Well Djourou came off when we were 4nil up, we were a man down, two of them were penalties and one was a wonder strike where he would never hit a strike like that again. Our defence with Djourou and Kos together wouldnt have conceded them 4 goals.

Anyway roll on Wednesday, this must be the longest match thread involving Arsenal two days before the match even kicks off. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

We're also unbeaten in 27 games in the league for games that Djourou has played in.

We're also unbeaten in 27 games in the league for games that Djourou has played in.

:eek: Thats an amazing statistic, shows just how important he is to our season. Always rated Djourou but never thought at the beginning of the season that he would be such a key player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Today was the first time Puyol trained outdoors and even at that he did so seperatly so I wouldnt give him much hope. One thing is for sure and that is he certainly wont be match fit after been out for the past 3/4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

redout wrote: »
    Today was the first time Puyol trained outdoors and even at that he did so seperatly so I wouldnt give him much hope. One thing is for sure and that is he certainly wont be match fit after been out for the past 3/4 weeks.

Not good, he would be a massive loss. The closer this game is getting the more concerned i am about it. A score draw would be a great result for Barca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Warper wrote: »
    Not good, he would be a massive loss. The closer this game is getting the more concerned i am about it. A score draw would be a great result for Barca.

Yeah I agree. A couple of away goals would make it difficult for Arsenal I feel come the second leg. Not even to concerned with a single goal loss neither as I reckon Barca should score more than once at Camp Nou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Newcastle put 4 past Squillaci, nothing past Djourou. You may think I'm clutching at straws here but I'm really not. If Squillaci plays in either game then yes Arse will get raped. If Djourou and Koscielny can stay fit then Arse have a shot at keeping the score down. Who knows, Vermaelen could even be back for the second leg should one of the above get injured.

Just remembered Eboue will be playing on Wednesday. Fúck.

But who's Djourou going to mark, Pedro, Messi or Villa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

But who's Djourou going to mark, Pedro, Messi or Villa?

The only person that Arsenal should man mark begins with 'X'.

Song should stick to him like a fly to ****e, limiting his influence is crucial to giving us a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

cson wrote: »
    The only person that Arsenal should man mark begins with 'X'.

Song should stick to him like a fly to ****e, limiting his influence is crucial to giving us a chance.

Man marking one Barca player is a mistake, Xavi is great at dribbling into a tiny bit of space before passing. You have to close down the little pockets of space Messi/ Iniesta/ Xavi run into more than anything. Two disciplined banks for 4 will also make it incredibly difficult for them to score, then utilise Walcott/ Nasri on the break and you win the game. Simples (I should be a manager, it's that easy :p)

Messi anytime goalscorer 10/11 you would have to fancy it. 40 goals in 34 appearances so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The defence is mediocre, Barca will decimate it. Jesus Newcastle put four past it last week, albeit it with a bit of help from the ref. They look really uncomfortable when they come under pressure and pressure is exactly what they're in from from Messi et al.

A The ref will hopefully not be as bad

B There's no way we'll be 4 - 0 up after half an hour. (This led to complacency which even the sending off and withdrawal of Djourou couldm't lift)

What is true though is that in Diaby we lost the main ball winner in our midfield that afternoon and as such we came under severe pressure defensively with very little possession of the ball to relieve it. The defence buckled against a mediocre attack That is the real fear about Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

The defence is mediocre, Barca will decimate it. Jesus Newcastle put four past it last week
    It's been mentioned already but there are two Arsenal defences - one with Djourou and one without him. Forget the ref in the Newcastle game, Djourou going off injured was the biggest blow.

- Djourou + either Koscielny or Squillaci: 11.5 games, 4 goals conceded
    - Koscileny + Squillaci: 10.5 games, 20 goals conceded.

No comparison. We were also without Song in the Newcastle game so you're picking a particularly poor lineup defensively as your point of reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I have never seen a thread where one player has been so ridiculously overhyped it's not even funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I have never seen a thread where one player has been so ridiculously overhyped it's not even funny.

*Looks at sig*

Irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

We're much better defensively when Djourou's in the team. He's not being overhyped, we're just stating that simple fact. If Squillaci plays any part over the 2 legs we could be very badly embarrassed. If Djourou plays 180mins I'll be infinitely more confident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

*Looks at sig*

Irony.

How is my sig ironic?

You only have to look at the play and the facts to see Djourou in the defence makes it much much better. He has been a rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

We're merely stating the statistics which show overwhelmingly that whenever Djourou plays in Arsenals defence, less goals are conceded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Arsenal have only conceded 4 goals when Djourou's been on the pitch in the league this season. That's a total of 14 separate appearances.

Our chances of getting past Barca hinge on Djourou being able to play the 180mins. He's our outstanding player of the season so far, the missing piece of the puzzle as it were.

Could you show the opposition in the games he's played vs. games he's missed, that will tell you whether or not he's being over hyped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Opposition means nothing, Wolves beat United last week but it doesn't mean they are better than them.

Every team has their day, and it's not up to Johan who he plays against each week.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Opposition means nothing, Wolves beat United last week but it doesn't mean they are better than them.

Every team has their day, and it's not up to Johan who he plays against each week.

Sorry but your post makes no sense.

My point was valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

SDTimeout wrote: »

Ehh, it clearly does. Arsenal are much more likely to keep a clean sheet at home to Wolves than away to United.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Could you show the opposition in the games he's played vs. games he's missed, that will tell you whether or not he's being over hyped.

Games he's played in (He wasn't on the pitch for the goal in the Fulham one, though he played around an hour).

BI(H) 2-1 MC(A) 3-0 WW(A) 2-0 EV(A) 2-1 FU(H) 2-1 CH(H) 3-1 BI(A) 3-0 MC(H) 0-0 WH(A) 3-0 WA(H) 3-0 EV(H) 2-1 NU(A) 4-4 WW(H) 2-0

Look at the fantasy.premierleague player history for full details. It wont format right to copy paste here.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    Ehh, it clearly does. Arsenal are much more likely to keep a clean sheet at home to Wolves than away to United.
    Whats that got to do with this game?

Advertisement