Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Barça, Champions league Last 16 1st leg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

redout wrote: »
    Talk about Walcott and pace can be made for practically all defenders bar someone like A.Cole in truth.

Barca back four ain't weak for starters - if was then they would concede far more goals than they do regardless of having the bulk of possession. Abidal at CB is more of a concern than Maxwell making a bollox of things. Adriano and Milito would be considered weak this season but Inlikely either will be starting. It's stereotypical in the sense many are branding him a weak link without even seeing him play on a regular basis same as what happens with Puyol. Notion in someones head about someone else without really having a full knowledge is stereotypical.
    Have many people branded him a weak link, or have they just highlighted that Walcott will be one of the important outlets in attack?

You have a notion in your head that we don't watch Barca, without having full knowledge of whether we do or not.

Does that make that stereotypical :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Defo see Arsh start.

So long as he doesn't have one of his Frustratey McStraterson nights... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Have many people branded him a weak link, or have they just highlighted that Walcott will be one of the important outlets in attack?

You have a notion in your head that we don't watch Barca, without having full knowledge of whether we do or not.

Does that make that stereotypical :P

He is obvioulsy being pertained as a potential weakness otherwise the talk about him and Walcott is nothing more than the same which could be said for Walcott every single week regardless of the opposition and furthermore lets face it, we dont see Walcott tearing up full backs every week now do we? Sure I can just as easily say that Lennon will tear up the opposition FB every week with his blistering pace but in reality he doesnt do it every week and saying it dont make it so.

I can make an educated assertion that many do not watch nor follow Barca regularly judging by the lack of knowledge shown about the club and players on a regular basis. Also to a lesser degree the lack of interest and knowledge of la Liga on this forum is also a helpful indicator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

He is obvioulsy being pertained as a potential weakness otherwise the talk about him and Walcott is nothing more than the same which could be said for Walcott every single week regardless of the opposition and furthermore lets face it, we dont see Walcott tearing up full backs every week now do we? Sure I can just as easily say that Lennon will tear up the opposition FB every week with his blistering pace but in reality he doesnt do it every week and saying it dont make it so.

I can make an educated assertion that many do not watch nor follow Barca regularly judging by the lack of knowledge shown about the club and players on a regular basis. Also to a lesser degree the lack of interest and knowledge of la Liga on this forum is also a helpful indicator.
    Arsenal don't play Barcelona everyweek to be fair, it's not like we're ever watching an Arsenal game just wondering where the goals will come from.

I haven't said that Maxwell is a weak link, but I do think that Walcott will do well tonight, and that if he does, Arsenall will do well.

Just because people don't post in the La Liga threads, or matcj threads, doesn't mean people don't watch them.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Arsenal don't play Barcelona everyweek to be fair, it's not like we're ever watching an Arsenal game just wondering where the goals will come from.

I haven't said that Maxwell is a weak link, but I do think that Walcott will do well tonight, and that if he does, Arsenall will do well.

Just because people don't post in the La Liga threads, or matcj threads, doesn't mean people don't watch them.

We can comment on it more after the game and see if there is anything worth noting.

As regards la Liga you are entitled to your opinions on the matter but I do not believe that many follow it irregardless of postings in a Liga thread. It is not a league that many from these parts do or ever have followed in great numbers in fairness and that would be common knowledge. I dont imagine that their are many who sit down every week and watch Barca for 90mins and even less so do I believe that there are many who watch other la Liga teams. Also someone watching one team is hardly watching la Liga in the proper sense just as watching United only would not really constitute watching the EPL nor give one full and proper depth nor knowledge of the league.

Barça squad: Valdés, Pinto, Adriano, Alves, Piqué, Maxwell, Milito, Abidal, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Keita, Messi, Bojan, Afellay, Pedro, Villa, Mascherano, Thiago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Barça squad: Valdés, Pinto, Adriano, Alves, Piqué, Maxwell, Milito, Abidal, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Keita, Messi, Bojan, Afellay, Pedro, Villa, Mascherano, Thiago

No real surprises. Wonder will Guardiola play Milito (shaky) or just move Abidal in to partner Pique and put Maxwell at LB... 2nd option would make more sense imo, though Maxwell did struggle against Walcott last year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

No way will Milito start. He would be torn to shreds. He has been hopeless on his outings thus far for Barca. Abidal will start. I would even say Busquets is more likely to start at CB than Milito.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

What do you reckon will be the starting line-up? Where to play Abidal is the only real question i think.

On Walcott i reckon he will be the biggest threat to Barcas defence but as said the Barca defence are no mugs, neither Abidal and Maxwell are slow, not as quick as Walcott obviously but they are no slouches, both of them are much stronger than Walcott also. I would be more worried being Arsenal having Pedro and Messi coming up against probably Eboue and Clichy, both defenders can handle the pace but both are prone to the odd mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Mark! wrote: »
    What do you reckon will be the starting line-up? Where to play Abidal is the only real question i think.

Valdes, Alves, Pique, Abidal, Maxwell, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Villa, Pedro.

• Advertisement

Mark! wrote: »

On Walcott i reckon he will be the biggest threat to Barcas defence but as said the Barca defence are no mugs, neither Abidal and Maxwell are slow, not as quick as Walcott obviously but they are no slouches, both of them are much stronger than Walcott also. I would be more worried being Arsenal having Pedro and Messi coming up against probably Eboue and Clichy, both defenders can handle the pace but both are prone to the odd mistake.
    I see it going something like this:

Valdes

Pique
    Abidal

Alves
    Maxwell

Busquets

Xavi

Iniesta

Messi

Pedrito
    Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Lol at people getting their knickers in a twist because others are referring to Maxwell as a weak link.

He is the weakest link in the Barca team. That doesn't make him a weak player. Every single team has one player in the defence who will be weaker than the rest. Going through the centre really isn't an option and Alves will destroy Arshavin on his current form. So people saying that Arsenal have their best chance down Maxwell's side are correct. However that doesn't mean they are guaranteed joy down that side.

The same way Barca will have most joy attacking at Eboué.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

gimmick wrote: »
    No way will Milito start. He would be torn to shreds. He has been hopeless on his outings thus far for Barca. Abidal will start. I would even say Busquets is more likely to start at CB

Would say so myself.. Even Keita would seem about as likely at CB as Milito, unless Pep decides to take a huge gamble. Busquets being played out of position would be a bit of a waste imo, he's probably the best DM in football right about now, havent seen a player blend into play while protecting the back 4 as well as he does since Makelele

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Just seen this on twitter
    OptaJose
    77% - Barcelona averaged 77% possession in matches in the group stages of the Champions League, 10% more than any other side. Greedy

That is crazy, the fact that its only 10% more than the next team is surprising too, wonder who the other team is?

Bayern Munich were the next best team with 67%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Frisbee wrote: »

I think Clichy is just as much a liability at this stage. I think Messi will get alot of joy.

Ush1 wrote: »
    I think Clichy is just as much a liability at this stage. I think Messi will get alot of joy.

Oh undoubtedly.

But if you look at that back 4 Eboué is the one you could most get at.

Same way as if you look at that Barca back 4 Maxwell is the one you could most get at.

Look at Madrid's back 4 and Marcelo is your target.
    Look at United's back 4 and Rafeal is your target.

Also, Clichy has been very dodgy this year, but he's played slightly better in the past month or two. I still expect Messi to sodomise him repeatedly but if I was Pep I'd be throwing the kitchen sink at Eboué.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

How many times will Busquets go down holding his face tonight????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

3-1 Arsenal.

there.

i said it.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

SlickRic wrote: »
    3-1 Arsenal.

there.

i said it.

:D

I hope so!

As a gesture of goodwill I also hope Liverpool win 3-1 tomorrow too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just checked the odds for Arsenal to win tonight. 3/1. Excellent value with PP and I'll be sticking a score on that for sure.

C'MON ARSENAL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Really hope Arsenal go through and we can meet ye at some stage would be epic over two legs or an all London NLD final would be out of this world.

• Advertisement

Really hope Arsenal go through and we can meet ye at some stage would be epic over two legs or an all London NLD final would be out of this world.

Hold your horses lad. Spurs/Milan is only half time. ;)

Lol at people getting their knickers in a twist because others are referring to Maxwell as a weak link.

He is the weakest link in the Barca team. That doesn't make him a weak player. Every single team has one player in the defence who will be weaker than the rest. Going through the centre really isn't an option and Alves will destroy Arshavin on his current form. So people saying that Arsenal have their best chance down Maxwell's side are correct. However that doesn't mean they are guaranteed joy down that side.

But if you look at that back 4 Eboué is the one you could most get at.

Calm down brother. Nobody get anything in a twist. Merely pointing out that the comments could just as easily be applied to every full-back Walcott goes up against truth be told and as I have pointed out and you yourself just said it dont necessarily guarantee success.

As regards Eboue comments I wouldnt be so sure. Barca tend to do more attacking from the right as they do against most opposition. Xavi constantly feeds the ball out right be it to Messi, Pedrito or Alves irregardless of the opposition. Messi will usually drive in towards the box or else take it back central. Alves overlaps and bombs down the wing as does Pedrito who will take it into the box. Can talk about San Andrés, Villa and Maxwell on the left but truth is Barca do more damage from the right. Unless Eboue is having a complete stinker I dont expect that to change dramatically though its not to say they wont possibly score from the left. I dont believe that Barca are the type of team that necessesarily pick out a single player and aim to exploit. I have never known them to do this. They will play there way and nothing else I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Cant believe no one has mentioned Scezhny or whatever way you spell it. Almunia kept Arsenal in the tie in the first leg last year. This keeper has little experience and could be overwhelmed playing the best team in the World. If he starts off nervously it could be very bad for Arsenal. His performance could prove to be the most decisive factor in this match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Calm down brother. Nobody get anything in a twist. Merely pointing out that the comments could just as easily be applied to every full-back Walcott goes up against truth be told and as I have pointed out and you yourself just said it dont necessarily guarantee success.

As regards Eboue comments I wouldnt be so sure. Barca tend to do more attacking from the right as they do against most opposition. Xavi constantly feeds the ball out right be it to Messi, Pedrito or Alves irregardless of the opposition. Messi will usually drive in towards the box or else take it back central. Alves overlaps and bombs down the wing as does Pedrito who will take it into the box. Can talk about San Andrés, Villa and Maxwell on the left but truth is Barca do more damage from the right. Unless Eboue is having a complete stinker I dont expect that to change dramatically though its not to say they wont possibly score from the left. I dont believe that Barca are the type of team that necessesarily pick out a single player and aim to exploit. I have never known them to do this. They will play there way and nothing else I reckon.

Easy on the tongue.

We don't want another sexism row.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I want to say something like this performance will be the decisive moment in his career in the fact he's going to play a blinder .

However we all already rate him that highly :D

Brilliant the faith we all have in Woj and there's been no talk about the fact he's playing against Barca tonight.

COME ON ARSENAL

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

To be fair to Woj, he had a bit of a shaky start against ManU (with his kicking) but after about 10 mins he was fine.

If we lose tonight I don't expect it to be down to him (I hope those words don't come back to haunt me).

I'm going to go for 2-1 to The Gunners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

3-1 Barcelona. Perdo to score first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Arsenal to win by a goal - 5/1
    Fabergas to score anytime - 4/1

Backed both and I am feeling confident!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

3-1 Barcelona. Perdo to score first.

79/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

That_Guy wrote: »
    Hold your horses lad. Spurs/Milan is only half time. ;)
    I know that ;) but if they don't go through then that definetly won't happen if they are in good shape for the return leg it could happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Warper wrote: »
    Cant believe no one has mentioned Scezhny or whatever way you spell it. Almunia kept Arsenal in the tie in the first leg last year. This keeper has little experience and could be overwhelmed playing the best team in the World. If he starts off nervously it could be very bad for Arsenal. His performance could prove to be the most decisive factor in this match.

He did fine in Old Trafford and has been solid whenever he's been called upon. Personally, I'm not overly concerned about his game tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

This is like Christmas Eve when you're 6, I cant wait for this match :D

Arsenal to win by a goal - 5/1
    Fabergas to score anytime - 4/1

Backed both and I am feeling confident!

That with Paddy Power?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Can't see Arsenal's defence holding up.I'd say 3-1 to Barca.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    79/1

Betfair?

Warper wrote: »
    This keeper has little experience and could be overwhelmed playing the best team in the World. If he starts off nervously it could be very bad for Arsenal.

If there's one thing Woj isn't lacking it's confidence. I'm not at all worried about him tonight. He might make a mistake, but he'll shrug it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Arsenal will be schooled if they try to outfootball Barca again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Betfair?

Yeah. 45/1 on Paddy Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Given the choice of starting Almunia or Woj it has to be Woj everytime. As has been said he doesnt lack confidence which I think Almunia does. Granted Almunia pulled off some great saves in the tie last season, however he was shocking for both of Ibrahamovics goals last season IMO.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    That with Paddy Power?

No, betpack.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Big, big test for Song and Wilshire tonight. Both have been excellent this season, but this will obviously prove to be the toughest opposition this season. Song is better than any defensive midfielder at breaking up play that Xavi, etc. will have come up against in La Liga this season, so if he plays well it should cause their midfield problems. I'm just hoping that there won't be any mistakes from the younger players over the 2 legs which will lead to the inevitable "in fairness, the lad was bound to slip up" reactions. I'd be concerned with Arshavin's inability to track back against Alves, and I think this could cause the biggest problem, assuming Nasri doesn't start tonight.

Given the choice of starting Almunia or Woj it has to be Woj everytime. As has been said he doesnt lack confidence which I think Almunia does. Granted Almunia pulled off some great saves in the tie last season, however he was shocking for both of Ibrahamovics goals last season IMO.

As all the other gunners have pointed out Woj is our best keeper hands down at the moment. He is a beast when it comes to 1-on-1's, is a decent shot stopper and his kicking is improving all the time.. Massive test for him tonight. But it is Eboue that I worry about. He is a liability especially on the big stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I remember when Eboue first broke into the first team I though he was gona be one of the best right backs in the world eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Can't wait for the match. I want Arsenal to win simply because Barca scare the **** out of me, and wouldn't fancy facing them later on in the comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

shano_88 wrote: »
    I remember when Eboue first broke into the first team I though he was gona be one of the best right backs in the world eventually.

I was the same, he came in when Lauren got a real long term injury. Lauren had been under appreciated in the invincible's and I remember being very worried, but Eboue did a great job. He's not as good now unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Unless I`v missed any team news, i really hope nasri starts!

This is a much stronger arsenal team than last season

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Nononolan

Although we have a more combative midfield you'd have to worry about Busquets. http://www.sinnacle.com/2010/04/28/i-hate-having-to-defend-this-about-soccer

A nonse of the highest order!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Messi first goal scorer and 2-1 to Arsenal, 75/1. Get your stake back if RVP scores last on PP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Messi first goal scorer and 2-1 to Arsenal, 75/1. Get your stake back if RVP scores last on PP.
    you forgot to add in if the planets all align at half time you get your stake back as well.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Stoner!

• Advertisement
Advertisement