Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vent lets water into house

• 12-02-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

My house sits on top of a hill in an estate. The gable end faces into the prevailing wind. When there is wind and rain, water runs down the side of the house(as it should) but then the wind blows the water in through a vent in the wall where it runs down the inside of the wall and onto my wood floor. I have to set up a ridiculous collection method where I tape a bin bag to the wall and leave the end hang into a bin. I have collected up to half a gallon per day.

The thing is, this will not happen if it is just raining. The has to be blowing strong as well.

I would be delighted if anyone out there has any solutions to this problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

You have two options as I see it.

1. Have the opening remade so that the pipe from outside to inside is at a sufficient angle (dropping towards the outside) to prevent teh wind being able to blow the water in.

or

2. seal up the vent altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Millennium bug

Thanks for your reply, Avns1s.

Sealing the vent would be the easiest, but would that not have implications for carbon monoxide etc. Or is sealing one vent (albeit in the kitchen) not really a big issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

Any chance of a picture of the grille on the outside. There may be a chance its been fitted upside down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

I am with you on that C eng

Advertisement