Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gamebox 450 in 1

• 12-02-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Just checked this out on arcademachines.ie, reading reviews on it it seemed to be decent enough, running games as they should be (even marvel v capcom),

anyone got any opinions, good or bad?

http://www.arcademachines.ie/shopping/product_info.php?cPath=40_48&products_id=101

GameBox 450 In 1 Jamma Board €125.00

If you are looking for a game board that is very stable and reliable! Well look no further, the GameBox 450 In 1 Jamma board has everything you need. It is a PC based system with 450 of the greatest games on it. Games include Ghouls & Ghosts, World Hero’s 2, Rainbow Islands, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and that is just to name a few.

To run this board, connect it to your Jamma Harness on your Arcade Cabinet and power it up. In a few seconds a menu screen will appear with all the games that are included on the GameBox 450 In 1 simply scroll down through the list of games till you see the one you want to play, push the Player 1 Button and the game will load up. When you want to exit the game, just hold down the Player 1 Button for a few seconds and it will bring you straight back to the GameBox 450 In 1 menu screen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

found a couple of forums where these were mentioned if anyone's interested ... think I'm gonna get one :D

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=125920

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=169917

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Let us know how you get on. Make sure you take an image of the hard disk using ghost as the disk is IDE. If my experience with the 1069 in 1 is anything to go by you'll thank me later.

The board is looks to be mini atx probably with a Pentium 4 and the old arcade VGA. Nice plug and play but that will not give you 6 buttons for SF2 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

dont think you can image that gamebox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

purplec wrote: »
    dont think you can image that gamebox

If it has its system on a HDD and they don't lock the HDD to the motherboard via IDE commands, you could image it via ghost or DD.

I'd have no idea how to image a hard drive, so I'll probably pass on that suggestion in case I break it.

• Advertisement

LoGiE wrote: »
    The board is looks to be mini atx probably with a Pentium 4 and the old arcade VGA. Nice plug and play but that will not give you 6 buttons for SF2 etc.

Crap, what's the point in selling something with 6 button games and yet you would not be able to play them?? What a catastrophe, another good idea in the toilet :mad: is there any way around this (like buying a bigger jamma loom?)

This is what I currently have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I was thinking of getting one of these gameboxs as well but got put of by the button config.

As far as i can tell it will take six buttons. Button 4 and 5 are connected by adding wires to the two empty pins furthest left in your pic of your harness.
    (pin 25 and 26).
    Button 6 is added by adding wire to pin 27..this is where your ground wire already is. I suppose this means splicing into the ground beside it to replace any thing the ground wire you remove was connected to.
    last post on page explains
    http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=125920

Gamebox manual shows Jamma pin config
    http://www.jammaparts.net/attachment.php?id_attachment=14

Anyone tried this...

I found something that might help at the below link, but I'd never be able to conjure one of these bad boys up!!

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=124888

I remember I had a supergun that had a bigger Jamma Loom than what's currently in my cabinet, I still don't know why that was though. Cos I didn't have Street Fighter 2 at the time to try out on it would a bigger loom have the extra wires needed for 6 button games? (my loom and kick harness currently doesn't allow for the roundhouse kick in SF2 - which is also mentioned in that link I posted).

Correct me if I'm wrong(I could well be as I'm just getting into this cabinet game). But doesn't the Jamma standard dictate that all Jamma cabinets have the standard 56 pin edge connector.
    From this 4 buttons will work automatically for each player pins 22-25.
    the fifth and six button were introduced for street fighter cps boards and mortal kombat
    These two buttons cant be plugged directly into the connector. The two buttons must be connected directly 2 what ever jamma board you are running.For this reason the "kick harness" was created for such games and its was called Jamma+

all Capcom fighter/mortal kombat boards will have a connector on board that handles the extra wires going to the two extra buttons
    All the xxxx in 1 boards also have this to allow six buttons. Its just fecked up that the gamebox doesn't:confused:

Correct me if I'm wrong(I could well be as I'm just getting into this cabinet game). But doesn't the Jamma standard dictate that all Jamma cabinets have the standard 56 pin edge connector.
    From this 4 buttons will work automatically for each player:pins 22-25.
    the fifth and six button were introduced for street fighter cps boards and mortal kombat
    These two buttons cant be plugged directly into the connector. The two buttons must be connected directly 2 what ever jamma board you are running.For this reason the "kick harness" was created for such games and its was called Jamma+

all Capcom fighter/mortal kombat boards will have a connector on board that handles the extra wires going to the two extra buttons
    All the xxxx in 1 boards also have this to allow six buttons. Its just fecked up that the gamebox doesn't:confused:

• Advertisement

From this 4 buttons will work automatically for each player:pins 22-25.

Sh11te sorry WTF. Triple post.I've never had that happen before.
    Sorry again..can mod please delete

That's what I thought as well Unky, what confused me though is that the place I was gonna buy them off told me that the 6 buttons work on the Jamma loom. He said Pin out 26 & d are Button 5 on your Arcade Cab & Pin out 11 & M are Button 6, that is what he uses all the time (he did say though that he'd double check when they arrived in stock in his shop).

Mmmm. Pin 11 ..weird.Was it arcademachines.ie by chance?
    They told me something similar when I inquired.I was unsure and couldn't find any conformation on the interweb so I went with xxxx in 1 board.

If it works please tell me as then a Gamebox is a great and cheaper alternative if my mother board goes tits up

It was them yeah...!!

Price of them has gone up in the shop btw, they were 125, now he's emailed me and said they're 160. Also said he'd check out on Monday if it works and let me know, so when I know, you'll know!!

Fingers crossed it does work! :D

At the very end of the jamma connector there are 2 grnd pins I believe the game box use these 2 pins with the additional 4 buttons to give you the 6.

This alters your cabinet which means no longer jamma standard. Download the manual.

Bye the way the game box sucks your better off with a xxxx in 1 or else building your own.

To build your own just buy a mobo CPU ram bundle from adverts throw in a decent ATI graphics card, mod a VGA cable and buy an ipac. Can be done for less than 150 you'll end up with a dual core mame box

My 2 cents.

do you have a gamebox purplec?

Poirot to the rescue

There you go

e897785e.png

No I don't have a game box but I know that any modification to the os will mean you will have a €160 paper weight. So you cant add games like you can the xxxx in 1 board.

Biased yes

Maybe you should get a cheap blue elf board to tide you over until you do your mame pc?

i've given up on a mame cab, that's why i decided to go with the gamebox. i would never mess with the cpu of it if i got one. i thought that xxxx in 1 boards were terrible? is that not the case? i am worried though that the jamma harness would need to be changed to non standard for the gamebox.

Hygro,

I have a xxxx in 1 in my cabinet and I rate it Highly. 99% of the games run great and all capcom fighters etc have no slowdown or frame issues.

The cpu/ram can be upgraded and roms added aswell. This is the beauty of them,They are fully modifiable and are a hassle free alternative to a PC and mame.
    Only issue you could have is HD/OS crashing. ( same problem you would have with any PC) All you have to do is ghost the HD when you get it and you have a backup.
    http://www.xxxx-in-1.com has all the info you need

• Advertisement

Unky,

Given your recommendation I am now thinking of going with an xxxx in 1 board. I see that Purplec rates them as well.

I saw one on arcademachines.ie that I might go for http://www.arcademachines.ie/shopping/product_info.php?cPath=40_49&products_id=103

I'm right in assuming that there'd be no probs with 6 button games on these boards?

Looks like a good price.All i can go on is my experience and I've had no issues with mine.
    Connecting the extra buttons is easy.Board comes with harness to attach to extra buttons.It's advisable to get a normal PC atx power supply also.Your original Jamma PSU supplies power to controls etc and the ATX just plugs into xxxx in 1 to give it power.

Purplec would know more about the ins and outs

I ended up going for a 450 in 1 :o To be honest I couldn't afford the 1068 in 1, maybe I'll get one in the future :)

well it came this morning, so I'll give my verdict once I get my cabinet up and running again ....

Hey, just an update on this. Purplec helped me out big time with soldering extra wires to my jamma harness, which effectively gives me 6 buttons without the need of a kick harness. I assume that this harness will only work correctly for the gamebox, bu I haven't looked into it further.

I can say that if anyone's looking for a cheaper alternative to an xxxx in 1 board I would recommend a gamebox, the only downside to this would be the fact that it does not have wwf wrestlefest on it, apart from that it's well worth the 160 pricetag.

:D

good stuff
    So how did the buttons work out?what pins did you have to connect to them to

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭whackball

As purplec mentioned, building your own is the best solution as you are not restricted to the CPU of the 450in1 nor even the xxxxin1 boards.

On another note if purplec is offering advice, I'd listen to him as this guy knows his stuff.

The cpu in a xxxx in 1 can be easily upgraded,
    The reason this is interesting is that you can get a pc in a box for 160 and save yourself the crap of getting and configuring a PC.
    hyro..my big question is what is the performance like.
    how do fighters play with regards to frame rate?

Pins 26 and 27 were used for buttons 5 and 6. This was as per the gamebox instruction manual ... I think that this would work for any gameboard which does not have a kick harness though.

I haven't really gone through all of the fighting games unky, but I defo played a game or two of SF Alpha 3 and all looked good to me ... took a bit to load it up, but once I was playing it I couldn't have any complaints. It looked like the real deal to me.

The only thing I would say about it is that I had to basically "tune in" the gamebox to my monitor and after this any other jamma board I've put in doesn't look right, I'd have to change the horizontal hold etc if I wanted to play them again (basically this gamebox kind of has it's own frequency), but to be honest I'm only gonna use this cab for the gamebox so I'm not really bothered.

• Advertisement

I played street fighter alpha 2 on the 450 in 1 and its very laggy. I have recently got 2 broken gamebox 450 in 1s that I have been looking at and the processor is a processor is a pentium 3 and its only 256 ram.

The xxxx in 1 board the processor in my machine is a 2.8ghz Pentium 4 processor and 2 gb of ram. It plays killer instinct 1&2 and the mortal kombats flawlessly.

my 2 cents.

PS .... If you have a problem with the 450 in 1 there is very little support for them as they are linux based and you can say goodbye to it if you try and add a rom

Was that on my gamebox? I'd have to see 2 running side by side, cos it seemed okay to me.

For the average joe soap who wanted to get a lot of games running on their standard jamma cab with little fuss (albiet soldering some wires required) and they were short of a few bob, I'd recommend the gamebox.

As I'd said before I would've gone with the xxxx in 1, as all round I think it's the better board, but I just hadn't got the cash, so for the money I paid for the gamebox (160) I think it's worth every cent. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Bookmarking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

http://www.arcademachines.ie/shopping/product_info.php?cPath=40_50&products_id=104
    So would this be easier than building a PC, well i have a PC ready for mame. just need an ArcadeVGA and a PC to Jamma i think!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Well having both setups I'm going to go with a MAME setup simply because I've had two drives die ;)

Advertisement