Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Corporate" users posting as regular posters

Options
  • 12-02-2011 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭

This isn't a major issue, but I've noticed it regularly in various forums and threads, so I thought I'd mention it.

I was just reading a thread in the Personal Issues forum, about a girl who is having issues with her "nosey" housemate. Komplett-Tech: Ryan offered his advice on the matter. Now, I have absolutely no problem with the advice given, and I have nothing against Komplett; nothing like that. But I just don't thing that it's right for individuals to be putting their company names to posts which reflect their own individual views, as opposed to the company views.

The way it reads is that this is Komplett's view on the issue. I'm very well aware that this isn't the way it is!! But it's the way it reads. An employee shouldn't be able to post in an online Personal Issues forum in this way, using the company name.

I'm just using this as an example, but I've noticed it happening plenty of times before. I just don't think it's right or appropriate. And there's no need for it - it would only take a minute for the employee to register their own personal username.

I'm not sure how the whole system works. But I don't think it would be a bad idea if "company registered" users could only post in their own specific forums, i.e. the Vodafone or Komplett forums or whatever.

Apologies if this issue has arisen and has been discussed before!!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Thats an issue for the companies to look at not boards.ie imo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I agree chatterpillar, I don't see why someone can't have a rep account to post their work stuff with and a personal account to post their personal stuff with.

As long as they don't abuse the situation (and they'll be found out if they do) then there'll be no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

What if the corporate user has had their "civilian" account sitebanned?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I wouldnt allow reps in any company I worked in to do so (and I'm about to create a "personal" account for myself too in fact!) but its not an issue for Boards.ie.... if their company is cool with it, ok!

I have a major issue with it happening the other way around though :):)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hi chatterpillar.

The PI mods already saw this, had a discussion on it and brought it to the Community managers notice. The thread you refereed to was the second time that account was used in PI and after consultation with the Community Manager that account was banned from PI and it's subforums.

The way it reads is that this is Komplett's view on the issue. I'm very well aware that this isn't the way it is!! But it's the way it reads. An employee shouldn't be able to post in an online Personal Issues forum in this way, using the company name.

I agree that such a REP account has no place in PI and thus far there are no REP accounts which have been given permission to post in PI.
    I'm just using this as an example, but I've noticed it happening plenty of times before. I just don't think it's right or appropriate. And there's no need for it - it would only take a minute for the employee to register their own personal username.

Their personal account had a string of bans from PI and is currently site banned so they can't make personal post, but you are completely right they were out of line to be posting with that professional account in PI.
    I'm not sure how the whole system works. But I don't think it would be a bad idea if "company registered" users could only post in their own specific forums, i.e. the Vodafone or Komplett forums or whatever.

They are allowed post in their own forums and if the mods ok it post in forums which are related to what they do, but in a manner which is helpful and a benefit to the forum rather then just spamming or pimping and that is made clear to them when the account is created.
    Apologies if this issue has arisen and has been discussed before!!

No worries, thanks for starting the thread, nice to know that there are regular contributors who care enough to start a thread and feel the same way about this as the PI mods did.

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    What if the corporate user has had their "civilian" account sitebanned?

Tough shít imho.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, this is a complicated one, and I'm going to have a chat with people and a think about it but the likely answer is "tough sh*t".

If a corporate account is being used to circumvent a forum ban, the forum mods decision has to be stood behind.

You'd have to be bonkers to start using your bosses company account to play sillybuggers, one phonecall later and you probably dont have a job but hey... "tough sh*t" :)

Gonna toss this to the admins/cm's to ensure I havent not-thought-of-something.

DeV.

Oh sitebanned?? hmm trickier again. I think we would have to restrict the company rep account to just their talk-to forum. The equivalent of being forum-banned from every forum so to speak. Again, kicking this to the network-brane for checking.

DeV.

Advertisement