Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell at Blake's Cross

Options
  • 12-02-2011 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭

Anyone know why it's always so smelly between Blake's Cross and the M1?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Peckham wrote: »
    Anyone know why it's always so smelly between Blake's Cross and the M1?

What type of smell? Is it a type of rotten smell? If so its most likely whats left of the winter crops rotting in the fields after all the frost/snow damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

I blame my wife when she's with me in the car :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Corsendonk wrote: »
    What type of smell? Is it a type of rotten smell? If so its most likely whats left of the winter crops rotting in the fields after all the frost/snow damage.

It kind of smells like rotting veg alright, but I'm sure it's there all year round

Peckham wrote: »
    It kind of smells like rotting veg alright, but I'm sure it's there all year round

Can't say I have noticed that! If its that constant surprised it hasnt been reported to the EPA by residents around the area. It could be the recycling facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

If I was to say which crop it was I'd say it was onions but it is rotting/ripe crops alright. There is a recycling yard in the general area but they are very strictly controlled and I've never noticed the smell coming from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I was always getting the blame for this, so Im going to show the kids this thread.Is it turnips?? Or else all the residence have been eating my
    homemade veg soup:pac:...

Onions would be usually lifted and dried in autumn. If its any vegetable crop its most likely Brassica family(cabbages, sprouts and cauliflowers) or whats left of them after the pigeons and harsh winter. The farmers are looking compensation for winter crop damage so rather than ploughing into the ground they may hangon to evidence until a decision is made by this government or the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I always notice it just before new Tesco roundabout. It's somewhere between a bad fart and rotting veg.

Unfortunately for me it's always too late to turn off the air in the car when I am reminded of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

If you happen down by the Estuary in Swords there's a fair hum off the waste water plant thats there opposite Fins Gaa. It all depends on the wind. AFAIK the wind could blow the smell up across the m1 but I would be surprised if it was that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

No, it's only at the Tesco distribution roundabout there, on the r132. It smells like rotting crops, but it's there all year round, so I'm not sure if that's it. At least, it's been there the last couple of years, it was never there before that.The only other thing I can think of is that it might be some sort of sewage problem, though I've no idea how or whereabouts there.Or maybe a wastewater treatment...but then, there isn't one there, I don't think....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I noticed it too. I think it's due to the works opposite Tesco. There must be something in the soil that they've unearth. It's terrible:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Is it not coming from Ballealy dump? That's what I would always have blamed it on - it has that rotten land-fill kind of quality to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Don't think so - I've lived out here all my life and that smell has only appeared in the past year or so.

The dump's been there a lot longer (obviously!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I cycle through there twice a day and have never noticed any odd smells.

Re: Comments abouts onions - Leeks which are grown in much larger quantities in the area than onions and leave an onion-like odour after harvesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 penguin00

that Tesco place is huge it must have their own Waste Water Treatment Plant..Could that be it?

Advertisement