Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

was closing in the cows this morning and was great to stop and listen to them munching away..... happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭metalwood

Got all the sheep sheared yesterday.........great to get ahead of the maggots for once :D

Did the lambs later on with dysect pour on......heavy shower 20 mins after i let them out......I hope it wasnt washed out i suppose time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

The frickin cab we bought for our ford 4600 is from a frickin 6600, it'll fit, but not properly, would be a nightmare getting up and down off it.

And this was discovered after the wings were patched and painted.

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Even if the lad who sold it to me was to agree to give me my money back, it's sod all use to me, he's half a day and a tank of diesel away. off to donedeal it shall go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

metalwood wrote: »
    Got all the sheep sheared yesterday.........great to get ahead of the maggots for once :D

Did the lambs later on with dysect pour on......heavy shower 20 mins after i let them out......I hope it wasnt washed out i suppose time will tell

Are u not worried its a bit cold for the sheep to be sheared. Especially if they have the lambs on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭metalwood

There are alot of sheep sheared around here .....I know the weather has got cooler but my shearers were available and ill take my chances

They are on well shelter ground so should be grand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Do you think its okay for a calf of four weeks old to be drinking complan as a snack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Do you think its okay for a calf of four weeks old to be drinking complan as a snack

A bit young I reckon:rolleyes:

Its only milk,sugar and vitamins really, so its ok I reckon

any one having problems with pnuemonia in suckler calves... had vet out again yesterday to young calves.. bloody weather

thats some wind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

whelan1 wrote: »
    any one having problems with pnuemonia in suckler calves... had vet out again yesterday to young calves.. bloody weather

My calves, are coughing like mad at times. Can't be worms, surely. Only out on the land 6 weeks.
    Had a few of them coughing in the shed earlier on in the year. Injected with something the vet prescribed. Worked fine. But one or two of them picked up the cough again outside. Gave another round of antibiotics. Worked fine again, but looking at them on Saturday, half of them coughing away, like they were smoking 60 woodbine daily:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

My calves, are coughing like mad at times. Can't be worms, surely. Only out on the land 6 weeks.
    Had a few of them coughing in the shed earlier on in the year. Injected with something the vet prescribed. Worked fine. But one or two of them picked up the cough again outside. Gave another round of antibiotics. Worked fine again, but looking at them on Saturday, half of them coughing away, like they were smoking 60 woodbine daily:mad:
    Have you tried niquitin? And take away the cigs; they are too young to smoke:).
    i have 2 angus sucklers and dosed the calves on saturday because they were coughing. They are much improved today so maybe early lungworm?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

thats some wind
    We're having 20/30km hour winds and gusts to 50km... I'm thinking of a few loose sheets of tin praying to god they hang on and I'll stick a few tech screws in them next week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

A neighbour of mine heard from a local Vet (Co. Clare) that there is a lot of pneumonia going around, even in older cows.

I noticed a few suckler calves coughing too. I'm hoping it's only worms. Maybe time to do them with pour-on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

thats some wind

I came through Ballinrobe this morning early and saw few sheep absolutely in pieces from the cold, they had sheep shearing competition there over weekend!! Great timing!!!! I thought it was cruel the wind going through them, even if they kept them in for a week or so!

bbam wrote: »
    We're having 20/30km hour winds and gusts to 50km... I'm thinking of a few loose sheets of tin praying to god they hang on and I'll stick a few tech screws in them next week...
    had to run in cattle earlier , jesus i never saw anything like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

had to run in cattle earlier , jesus i never saw anything like it

indeed... tried chasing down a wendy house but it beat me :( Now I have to convince the girls it's a tree house at the bottom of the hedge :rolleyes:

indeed... tried chasing down a wendy house but it beat me :( Now I have to convince the girls it's a tree house at the bottom of the hedge :rolleyes:
    my dads hat blew away 4 times:D before he gave up and left it off:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭stanflt

:D

:) good advert for armstrong machinery there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Coming home from Galway this morning along the lake west of Maam Cross, some waves on it for a small lake, tops were whipped off and onto cars on the road. But, that was nothing compared to getting home and going to the farm. Road back is along the sea but higher up, I have seen some storms, but I've never seen waves that big out to sea before. Had no camera :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

had lost a sheet of tin on the hayshed roof and was not safe to get up and put it back on.been their done that.lost two more sheets and more to follow the wind has died down thank god i hate the wind:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Had to put 10 cows and 10 calves back into the shed yesterday evening. Ground is just too wet. They were ploughing to their bellies after all the rain on sunday night. They're quite happy eating silage indoors.

Are you that afraid of an inspection, stanflt?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

cows and calves happy out eating silage listening to the wind and rain any cure for a cow with a touch of mastitis in rear tit as calf not strong enough to drink all yet have drawn twice and a little betamox any thing else i can do.

jerry

other half is on the way to the mater eye and ear as he got a bit of steel in his eye when angle grinding , this is the third time in 3 years:mad::mad: i asked him where were the goggles - there are 3 or 4 pairs in the shed , he said they are hanging up:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Us men have the disadvantage of having our brains 4 feet lower down then women.

hope he's ok

other half is on the way to the mater eye and ear as he got a bit of steel in his eye when angle grinding , this is the third time in 3 years:mad::mad: i asked him where were the goggles - there are 3 or 4 pairs in the shed , he said they are hanging up:confused::confused:

That's the place for them alright. I hope that it's not serious and he's let out after a good lecture ;)

Just happened to be looking for my own pair of safety specs earlier, was going to sharpen up a spade, couldn't find them so made do with it as was. Dad got a sliver of rock in his eye years ago breaking a boulder with a sledge, always been wary of flying stuff since then.

they left here at half 12 and they are still waiting to be seen, i would say the humour is fantastic , glad i am at home:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

johngalway wrote: »
    Coming home from Galway this morning along the lake west of Maam Cross, some waves on it for a small lake, tops were whipped off and onto cars on the road. But, that was nothing compared to getting home and going to the farm. Road back is along the sea but higher up, I have seen some storms, but I've never seen waves that big out to sea before. Had no camera :rolleyes:

John - I thought you liked wind:eek:;)

PS: Another day of getting blasted with 20+ knots of wind at my front door - this has got to be the windiest bl**dy May ever:(

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »

PS: Another day of getting blasted with 20+ knots of wind at my front door - this has got to be the windiest bl**dy May ever:(
    my da went to the march in dublin, he was saying alot of lads are feeding silage as there is feck all grass growth, a wet and windy may fills the barns with wheat and hay... we didnt get much rain here at all ,but we did get wind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

got d silage all in yesterday:D started covering it this morning :eek: had to get d cousin and d brother out just to get d plastic spread out and rolled up. thought we were goin to end up in d next parish with some of d gusts. anyway just in now job done and d tanks agitated ready to create a smell;)

they left here at half 12 and they are still waiting to be seen, i would say the humour is fantastic , glad i am at home:D
    he's home , 2 pieces of metal in his eye, he was using the drill and the bit broke and flew into his eye... he was lucky...they gave him drops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

What MPH is Knots??
    I'm not into this nautical speak :D

cut the uncles silage today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Its 1 knot = 1.15 mph, on a fine day ;)

• Advertisement

ye are fairly fond of the new hollands :D

ye are fairly fond of the new hollands :D

theres an old saying- you can choose your friends but not your family:D:D:D

With thistles, furze, and rushes to spray this is no longer funny. I've been doing the odd bit early in the morning or late in the evening, the odd dry day, when the wind dies down.

waiting on a dry day as well to put the second round of vector on the lambs.

I've also got a new batch of bullets to zero.

The great thing is the midges are kept down :D But, at this stage, it's the only advantage!

i got a bit of steel in the eye two years ago very sore and i used eyewash to take it out but took two days.a man not too far from me who fixed tractors and worked at steel had a big horse shoe magnet stuck on a rsj outside the workshop. he used it to take steel out of his eye.

i got a bit of steel in the eye two years ago very sore and i used eyewash to take it out but took two days.a man not too far from me who fixed tractors and worked at steel had a big horse shoe magnet stuck on a rsj outside the workshop. he used it to take steel out of his eye.
    must tell dh that:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

In a lot of factories now, you wont even be let out onto the production floor without safety glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭MfMan

Some of Newcastlewest's finest picked up here (rural Galway) day before yesterday, caught raiding an unoccupied farmyard in daylight hours. Apprehended by the guards in the act. Shows you that they are constantly on the look out for easy pickings and know where to go too. All transients visiting your home or farm should be shown the door immediately and not allowed to look around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

MfMan wrote: »
    Some of Newcastlewest's finest picked up here (rural Galway) day before yesterday, caught raiding an unoccupied farmyard in daylight hours. Apprehended by the guards in the act. Shows you that they are constantly on the look out for easy pickings and know where to go too. All transients visiting your home or farm should be shown the door immediately and not allowed to look around.

any chance was there a fairly respectable looking bloke offering to do gutters and repairs on sheds, a few weeks previous? he is the spotter

they were on patrol in this area also but a few of us got together, and let's say "interviewed" them and they didn't return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭MfMan

snowman707 wrote: »
    any chance was there a fairly respectable looking bloke offering to do gutters and repairs on sheds, a few weeks previous? he is the spotter

they were on patrol in this area also but a few of us got together, and let's say "interviewed" them and they didn't return

Exactly, a lad in a van called in to offer roof painting services, stout boyo, 35ish. Left a flyer which I can't find, was from around Brackernagh, Ballinasloe. Said he'd do a good job, Polish lads working for him, very good, blah blah blah. Gave him short shrift. Gardai are aware of this lad also I believe.

MfMan wrote: »
    Exactly, a lad in a van called in to offer roof painting services, stout boyo, 35ish. Left a flyer which I can't find, was from around Brackernagh, Ballinasloe. Said he'd do a good job, Polish lads working for him, very good, blah blah blah. Gave him short shrift. Gardai are aware of this lad also I believe.
    ya irishbob was on about them they thined the paint with diesel:eek: stay well clear of them.

I was out in the orchard with the strimmer today and couldnt believe the trees. Leaves all burned and very little green left. Looks like my apple crop will now just about make 1 apple tart:mad:

5live wrote: »
    I was out in the orchard with the strimmer today and couldnt believe the trees. Leaves all burned and very little green left. Looks like my apple crop will now just about make 1 apple tart:mad:

I notice some of the bracken in the ould lads place have the top leaves burned by what I guess was salt carried in the wind.

Never thought of that:o. Only a mile from the atlantic as the crow flies, if any of them can fly in this weather. I wonder if i should put a bit of fert on them to give a bit of a boost

5live wrote: »
    Never thought of that:o. Only a mile from the atlantic as the crow flies, if any of them can fly in this weather. I wonder if i should put a bit of fert on them to give a bit of a boost
    its a bit late in the season now but you can put sulphate of potash around them and dig it in.this is for apples trees and other fruits.dont use farmyard manure around apples trees or other fruit bushes it puts up too much soft green growth and will lead to mildew.you will get sulphate of potash in garden centre.

sold 4 angus cross calves today , fine healthy calves , got a call from the person who bought them this evening to say one of the calves had done a runner:) now they live 20 miles from me , the calf in question is only a week old , last seen heading towards dublin... i posted the movement permits this evening.. they are after spending 4 hours looking for the calf , the calf is just off the cow

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement