Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

nice morning here

cows milked

saws sharpened and lunch box packed off to spend another day thinning ash in the forestry :eek:

I will never complain about dagging sheep again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

snowman707 wrote: »
    nice morning here

cows milked

saws sharpened and lunch box packed off to spend another day thinning ash in the forestry :eek:

Its a strange little country and the weather is very localised..
    Was out with the stock thismorning before work and I got soaked to the skin :(
    Even the roof in the office is leaking !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

woo hoo.... over 5000 replies to the farming chit chat thread:D

whelan1 wrote: »
    woo hoo.... over 5000 replies to the farming chit chat thread:D
    Well, if nothing else farming folk like to talk !

And of course the large chit/chat thread was started by a woman !:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

thought i might start this about daily goings on. last night went to check kids during the night as they are all sick:eek: anyways there was a cow out having a stroll in the yard:rolleyes: lucky enough as the road isnt far away
    Awful idea for a thread Whelan1, sure no one will have any interest in it ;):D

.....(quoted post is the first post in the thread).....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

snowman707 wrote: »
    nice morning here

cows milked

Wasn't too bad a morning here, wouldn't go so far as to say it was nice. But it was dry, so we'll take it ;)

But its LASHING here now, getting some really heavy thunder showers... :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Not a bad mornin here either. At long last I'm down to the last 5 loads of slurry/soiled water. Broke a belt on the topper so that's a job for the next wet day:pac:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

45 mins of heaviest rain I ever saw.!!!! Unreal! Unreal! Unreal! I have dry enough land, but it just can't cope anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Lovely morning here too in south Leitrim.
    Wandering round in shorts putting pour-on onto the calves in the shed.
    Worst thing is trying to keep the airflow through the shed to stop them heating up in the humidity. The fields are in sh**e round here.

• Advertisement

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Lovely morning here too in south Leitrim.
    Wandering round in shorts putting pour-on onto the calves in the shed.
    Worst thing is trying to keep the airflow through the shed to stop them heating up in the humidity. The fields are in sh**e round here.

I'm getting an eveshoot put in at the belt of my trousers, to stop the rain wetting my arse!!

I'm getting an eveshoot put in at the belt of my trousers, to stop the rain wetting my arse!!

Spoke too soon. Went to do the shop and literally couldn't go out the door with the rain. ( Longford-ish) Hailstones and all!! Came back to the house and not a drop at all. It's strange weather.

lovely evening here:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

45 mins of heaviest rain I ever saw.!!!! Unreal! Unreal! Unreal! I have dry enough land, but it just can't cope anymore!

Lovely day in the midlands. Sold a load of hat this morning and played golf in the afternoon. Even got a bit sunburnt in the face.

sea12 wrote: »
    Lovely day in the midlands. Sold a load of hat this morning and played golf in the afternoon. Even got a bit sunburnt in the face.
    do you make hats? should have kept one for when on the golf course- could have stopped the old sunburn:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Early part of the day was OK-ish here, heavy showers at times. Early afternoon wasn't exactly bad. After that it poured, we were gathering lambs :rolleyes: So much heavy dark cloud around right now I can't see anything much else happening besides more heavy showers.

I think after another week of this I'll be able to float my farm to sunnier climes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Just after taking a spin through the cows now and spotted one passing bloody water, she has been a bit off for a few days. She is an 8 year old and one of our own rearing which are normally immune (never ever had a case of redwater here before) will put her in and call the vet in the morning. What I want to know is are there other diseases which cause cattle to pass blood, I would be very very suprised if it is murron because our land is infested with ticks and they would have picked up immunity as calves.

Just after taking a spin through the cows now and spotted one passing bloody water, she has been a bit off for a few days. She is an 8 year old and one of our own rearing which are normally immune (never ever had a case of redwater here before) will put her in and call the vet in the morning. What I want to know is are there other diseases which cause cattle to pass blood, I would be very very suprised if it is murron because our land is infested with ticks and they would have picked up immunity as calves.
    could be a kidney infection... or was she in heat recently

could be a kidney infection... or was she in heat recently

Was thinking it could be a kidney problem myself, didnt see her bulling but its possible. Not a thick bloody slime though, very watery blood all over the back of her and like I said she has seemed off with a few days...

fetch the vet;)

fetch the vet;)

Tis on the cards anyway, just doing a bit of research before the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Tis on the cards anyway, just doing a bit of research before the morning.
    why would you wait till the morning:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

sea12 wrote: »
    do you make hats? should have kept one for when on the golf course- could have stopped the old sunburn:D

That should have said hay not hats. But ure right one on the golf course would have been very handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

hollow sounding heartbeat i think is the giveaway for murren but as you say unlikely in your case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

We used to see a fair bit of redwater, like you say, your own are usually immune, but not unheard of to pick it up just the same. A thin scour used to go hand in hand with the redwater too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 086111

Bizzum wrote: »
    We used to see a fair bit of redwater, like you say, your own are usually immune, but not unheard of to pick it up just the same. A thin scour used to go hand in hand with the redwater too.[/QUOTE

if we ever found redwater down our way we'd try get medecine into dem straightaway not waitin til d morning...

Another brutal day. Head to toe in waterproofs pulling ragfukingwort!

I went out at 7 this morning and she was grazing away grand and was a lot perkier looking but I put her in and stimulated her to pass water anyway, no blood in it this morning. I let her out again and she is sitting down with the rest of the cows chewing the cud away now. Whatever it is she is over the worst of it because there is a big improvement in her today. If it was something we had bought in I would say redwater but not an 8 year old cow we had reared ourselves, she would be dead long before now if that was the case, More often than not im pulling ticks off my own legs after doing the herding.

I went out at 7 this morning and she was grazing away grand and was a lot perkier looking but I put her in and stimulated her to pass water anyway, no blood in it this morning. I let her out again and she is sitting down with the rest of the cows chewing the cud away now. Whatever it is she is over the worst of it because there is a big improvement in her today. If it was something we had bought in I would say redwater but not an 8 year old cow we had reared ourselves, she would be dead long before now if that was the case, More often than not im pulling ticks off my own legs after doing the herding.

Could she have got a puck ?? Do you have any bully cows prone to pucking the others.. I've heard of them passing blood after getting hit but never seen it.. At least she seems to be on the mend..

Picked up six nice heifers for bucket rearing... Got them all settled in on a nice bed of straw... Always nice to see a wee pen of calves sitting back picking at the clean straw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

bbam wrote: »
    Picked up six nice heifers for bucket rearing... Got them all settled in on a nice bed of straw... Always nice to see a wee pen of calves sitting back picking at the clean straw :)

well done and best of luck with them bbam!! what type of calves ,where you buy and if you don't mind me asking how many spuds did you have to part with to land them;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I see JG has closed his account.
    I hope this aint the end of ya John. You're a decent skin, this place would be at a loss without ya!

well done and best of luck with them bbam!! what type of calves ,where you buy and if you don't mind me asking how many spuds did you have to part with to land them;)

Picked them up from a dealer, add was on DD.
    He had eight, one was too rich at €375 for a BB, one had the making of a runt and I've had my share of them. €280 each , six to eight weeks old, five HEX and one Angus. Not real cheap but good strong calves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Odelay

I hope this aint the end of ya John. Your a decent skin, this place would be at a loss without ya!

Ah no! Always enjoyed his posts in farming and also in other areas of boards. He input will be a big loss (guess he will now have more time for spraying:D).

Come back in another form John Galway!

I hope this aint the end of ya John. Your a decent skin, this place would be at a loss without ya!
    +1, I hope it's only temporary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

just do it wrote: »
    +1, I hope it's only temporary

That is a pity John was always "on the ball" and big into boards.ie and BFF etc, he will be missed big time.

I've just burst out laughing and can't stop!!

all set for another "heatwave" later in the week:rolleyes:

If ya don't mind I'll hold off with the suncream until I see the sun :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

just mowing our second cut now so hopefully weather picks up!! don't intend picking up til wednesday at the earliest. so fingers crossed

• Advertisement

Come on Katie! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/3565574

had to laugh at the dog cocking his leg up on the tyre

just do it wrote: »
    Come on Katie! :)
    WOW :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

jesus will it ever stop raining, another awfal day here, land in fair bad shape

nice day here....

Was just going to say the same thing vander, wettest day of the year to date around here :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

nice day here....
    Was just going to say the same thing vander, wettest day of the year to date around here :(

Jaysus - not a bad day here, some heavy thunder showers, but we've had a lot worse. Nice enough eve out now, albeit not very warm...

Why you should never turn your back to a bull lads ;)

Was going to move the cattle this evening, instead I'm going down to put them in again for another few days :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Another heatwave? From Met Eireann on Twitter in the last few minutes (excuse the appalling spelling): Tonite scatred heavy shrws at first.Rain over S Mun, heavy at times/risk thunder.Min 9-12C.Tmrw rain rife in am,heavy at times.Max 17-21C.

Sigh......

Nice day here, out for the day with the girls on the bikes, picnic the works.
    Back home and broke out the BBQ and a few cold beers.
    Light rain for the last two hours though :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement