Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Waited all day for sky to clear to go spraying but it never happened:mad:, cut 2 trailers of logs instead

had a nice lim heifer supposed to be calving to OZS in FEB but she was in standing heat this evening... really p**sed off with her, will not bull her now as too late... practically a june calf will hold her off to bull her with 3 other year and a halfs to calve down next january, not ideal but she is a nice one and she out of a very good milky cow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

bbam wrote: »
    Nice day here, out for the day with the girls on the bikes, picnic the works.
    Back home and broke out the BBQ and a few cold beers.
    You must be abroad on holidays! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2182958/Police-Vt-farmer-crushed-cop-cars-tractor-revenge-drug-arrest.html

The cops don't know their farming if they think an MX255 is the biggest available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

just do it wrote: »
    Was going to move the cattle this evening, instead I'm going down to put them in again for another few days :(

sickening alright

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Anyone in Elphin yesterday? There was apparently 40 pens of weinlings booked in, any idea what the trade was like?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

iam looking to get a car trailer of timber or two depending on the price what is the best type of wood to get and how much would it be going for??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

sen it before, madness

True, but well executed madness all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

naughto wrote: »
    iam looking to get a car trailer of timber or two depending on the price what is the best type of wood to get and how much would it be going for??
    Ash would definately be the pick of them. not sure on price though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Saw something I haven't seen for ages tonight - a red sky at sunset.

1chippy wrote: »
    Ash would definately be the pick of them. not sure on price though.
    seen this on donedeal what do ye think

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/heating/2790716

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭kerryjack

seen this on donedeal what do ye think

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/heating/2790716

That is a lot of work for 110 euro Cutting ,Choping and than delivering it free of charge Its a hard earned few euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

wouldnt say its a bad price if the majority is hardwood.

i will be burning it with coal this year.just had turf last winter and was not happy it with so going to go half and half this year

i will be burning it with coal this year.just had turf last winter and was not happy it with so going to go half and half this year

What are you burning it in? Open fire or stove?

open fire

open fire
    Wood gives a much nicer smell to the room than turf, particularly if there is any bit of a downdraft. You should have less ashes as well I'd imagine.

My only concern with that ad is the delivery only, no home collection. Will the load be genuine? Could you get to see a load before you buy? For the likes of this I always make a few enquires locally and like to see the few bob going to someone local who comes recommended.

last yr locally it was 80euro a tonne.i will get it localy if i can but i thought it was a bit pricy and i had a load of turf bought so i dident need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

CAN BE HARD TO GET MUCH BUT WHITETHORN IS A GREAT WOOD TOO,IF WELL SEASONED, BURNS HOT AND EFFICIENTLY...sorry for caps.

Looks like we're not the only ones missing JG
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056720926&pp=15&page=1

Let's hope he's reading and comes back in a new guise

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

On a more serious matter...............

Does anyone know a handy way to get the glue and mart sticker off a beasts back?

i bought a few nice bbxlim heifers and want to tidy them up without leavin a hole in the hide.

A couple of days of this weather might melt the glue???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

On a more serious matter...............

Does anyone know a handy way to get the glue and mart sticker off a beasts back?

i bought a few nice bbxlim heifers and want to tidy them up without leavin a hole in the hide.

A couple of days of this weather might melt the glue???

your not thinking of showing them in a mart again in a few days are you:roll eyes:, If you are keeping the animals the stamps will lift off in a week or so if the animal is thriving. Otherwise a animal hair comb and hot water was the way it used to be done. Havnt done it for years mind. Drives me nuts to see some guy after putting a heap of glue on an animals back to hold on the stickers. The new type stickers are a great job.

Ta Bob.
    No Ill be keeping these ladies, but a very nosey chap down the road will hit me with the usual 20 questions on seeing the stickers!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Ta Bob.
    No Ill be keeping these ladies, but a very nosey chap down the road will hit me with the usual 20 questions on seeing the stickers!:o

tell him they were running in the "track and FIELD" in london :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Ta Bob.

I find that with lads like that it's much more fun to spin them one. Wind them up and off they go, see how long it takes to get back to you.

bbam wrote: »
    I find that with lads like that it's much more fun to spin them one. Wind them up and off they go, see how long it takes to get back to you.

Believe me I've told this buck every blatant lie and spun him the most fantastic yarns but you couldnt insult him :rolleyes:

Bought a young charolais bull a couple of years ago that brought all bull calves the first year...of course he was on the case straight away...told him I got the vet to clamp his right stone because the left one was male and this year I needed replacements so I was going to do the opposite....!

Anyone in Elphin yesterday? There was apparently 40 pens of weinlings booked in, any idea what the trade was like?

I didnt hear but last sat week I was in Dowra. 400kg ch bull weanlings very nice yellow types not overpushed 900 to 950e.
    seller was disgusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

SOme amount of silage knocked in the last 18 hours round here. If the weather holds there'll be some amount of stuff wrapped up by Saturday evening.

I know a few lads who are pulling their hair out at this stage, hopefully these few days will ease the pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

22 acres ready if only the weather was:mad:.new grass seeds will now have to be cut have not been in the field since it was set in march, we did spray weeds but more have come back. a well:pac:

• Advertisement

Ta Bob.
    Tell him you bought them from a dealer from N.I. and you know nothing else about them. That'll get him going. As an uncle of mine says about nosey parkers "tell them lies" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

30 acres to cut down myself this evening, please god i get it in by saturday!

I didnt hear but last sat week I was in Dowra. 400kg ch bull weanlings very nice yellow types not overpushed 900 to 950e.
    seller was disgusted.
    sold 2 part bulls on sat in new ross 455kgs 1055euro,i was very happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

leg wax wrote: »

Heard that the previous Saturday, there was a large selection of weanlings there with lots of quality on show too.

Good to hear yours are still breaking the €1,000 mark. I'd a LM bull entered in ennis yesterday but decided to hold him and squeezed him instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Good to hear yours are still breaking the €1,000 mark. I'd a LM bull entered in ennis yesterday but decided to hold him and squeezed him instead

you decided to hold and squeeze him? what did Mrs Do It have to say about that?:D

you decided to hold and squeeze him? what did Mrs Do It have to say about that?:D
    What she doesn't know won't hurt her ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Hay_man

John is still posting on the BFF

http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=72402

Spotted this one today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

I've a few part bulls myself, they wont be that quality though. When were yours born? Eat alot of meal?

johnpawl wrote: »
    I've a few part bulls myself, they wont be that quality though. When were yours born? Eat alot of meal?
    sept 18th and 25th i think,yes they were on add lib finishing what was left in the bin since 16th june

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

sold 4 bb heifers in carnaross last tuesday night all august sept born heres how they went...400kgs €960 435kgs €960 480kgs €1160 435kgs €1030. 1st 3 heifers were wkf last one was an rsw. happy enough but thought we'd get a bit more trade definatly slipping. Btw delighted to hear the good money for the parts we'l have our first bulls for sale in or around november.

on the sudject of the parthenais has anyone calved part heifers yet?? I'm thinking ours look a little narrow in the rump?? Have 7 now so goin to see how they go before using any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Anyone get a letter from the dep of ag stating that they had overclaimed on a land parcel? There's supposed to be a ball of them out in the last week?

I got one. They sent back maps of 2 land parcels which I had spent a lot of money cleaning scrub from last october. My planner had amended the maps yet they sent me back maps which still show the scrub in place and do not show my planner's amendments. They completely ignored the details that he editied in the maps - I'm furious. I paid good money to have those amendments done, and now I have to do it again. Just off the phone with the planner who says that any amendments that planners made to maps were ignored and maps sent back as if the amendments had never been made.

Talk about wasting money!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

reilig wrote: »

Talk about wasting money!!!

Do you know were the ammendments done with red pen on the map or on the new online system?
    Did you not get a copy?

sold 4 bb heifers in carnaross last tuesday night all august sept born heres how they went...400kgs €960 435kgs €960 480kgs €1160 435kgs €1030. 1st 3 heifers were wkf last one was an rsw. happy enough but thought we'd get a bit more trade definatly slipping. Btw delighted to hear the good money for the parts we'l have our first bulls for sale in or around november.

on the sudject of the parthenais has anyone calved part heifers yet?? I'm thinking ours look a little narrow in the rump?? Have 7 now so goin to see how they go before using any more.

they must have been nice heifers to make those prices, fair play

gav86 wrote: »
    Do you know were the ammendments done with red pen on the map or on the new online system?
    Did you not get a copy?

They were done with a red pen on the map. I did an online application, but there was no facility for to make amendments to the map online. He gave the map to me, I took a copy. Then I posted it off to the dep of ag. I got a digital receipt for it from them on my agfood account. Yet they still went and sent me out last years maps again which I have to amend for a second time in 4 months. They completely ignored the amendments made to the maps that I sent in with the application and sent me out more maps as if to ask me "are you sure you actually cleared the scrub from this land". Of course I'm f****ng sure. Isn't that why I sent you the amended map in the first place. These guys are just trying to make work for themselves. I'll bet I won't see any SFP until after christmas because they will have a delay in digitising this or something !!!!

They were done with a red pen on the map. I did an online application, but there was no facility for to make amendments to the map online. He gave the map to me, I took a copy. Then I posted it off to the dep of ag. I got a digital receipt for it from them on my agfood account. Yet they still went and sent me out last years maps again which I have to amend for a second time in 4 months. They completely ignored the amendments made to the maps that I sent in with the application and sent me out more maps as if to ask me "are you sure you actually cleared the scrub from this land". Of course I'm f****ng sure. Isn't that why I sent you the amended map in the first place. These guys are just trying to make work for themselves. I'll bet I won't see any SFP until after christmas because they will have a delay in digitising this or something !!!!

Ah they are a torture alright but nothing stopping you sending in the copy again (or your planner sending it in) with a note saying that this is the change that needs to be made!! No need to red line the map or re-measure again.
    There was a facility online this year for the first year to make amendments to maps but maybe it wasnt available to farmers and was just available to advisers.

Ah they are a torture alright but nothing stopping you sending in the copy again (or your planner sending it in) with a note saying that this is the change that needs to be made!! No need to red line the map or re-measure again.
    There was a facility online this year for the first year to make amendments to maps but maybe it wasnt available to farmers and was just available to advisers.

What I have is just a photocopy of the satelite image map to which the advisor made the changes. its probably easier for me to just draw in the new lines again on the new map and sent it off to them as the photocopy is just black and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I also cleared off scrub last year, which entitled me to amend my maps and claim a bit more.
    However I knew well the system would go into meltdown dealing with a bit of extra work in the office, so I decided to forego the extra few bob, and didn't amend the map.
    At least I might get my money on schedule!

There is no doubt but anything which entails dealing with any government service, comes with pain and punishment for joe citizen.

What I have is just a photocopy of the satelite image map to which the advisor made the changes. its probably easier for me to just draw in the new lines again on the new map and sent it off to them as the photocopy is just black and white.

Probably the best idea, if the copy was colour and visible i'd just send that in but if you don't mind re-doing it then just copy what was done before basically, shouldn't take too long. Would the planner not do it as part of the original deal?

• Advertisement

Probably the best idea, if the copy was colour and visible i'd just send that in but if you don't mind re-doing it then just copy what was done before basically, shouldn't take too long. Would the planner not do it as part of the original deal?

The planner is swamped at the moment and it would be a week before he could get to me. He said that a load of these have come back to him - even the ones that he did online. They also have come back for 2 other planners who dealth with this last april who have now moved on so he has to deal with that too. He says that every planner he knows has had them sent back to them also. The letter that came with it says that there will be no delay in payment if it is returned within 7 days. So I asked the planner what I should do, he said just get out the red pen and do what he did and write a note with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement