Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

first autumn calver calved this morning a tsk heifer calf from a 2000 gallon cow:)

had a sick cow yesterday morning... got the vet:eek:.. not eating and back arched:confused: vet said he thought it was some sort of a perforation in the stomach.... so rather than treating her we decided to factory her. Vet wrote out a letter that he had examined her at 10am and that she had got no drugs etc... my husband brought her to the factory, 2 factory vets looked at her, 1 said shes fine work away the other says detain her. The factory- not the usual one we go to as that wasnt killing- rang the vets yesterday evening looking for a cert from the vet , then rang back saying they didnt need it and then rang back 5 minutes later saying they did need it:confused: will be interesting to see if i get a cheque or a bill for her:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭flat out !!

Wahoo, well done katie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Suckler

Great fight, trailing heading in to the 3rd round. Great footwork, I wouldnt fancy being stuck in the ring with the russian one meself!

could've gone either way, well done katie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

whelan1 wrote: »
    first autumn calver calved this morning a tsk heifer calf from a 2000 gallon cow:)

only dried off the first off ours last week!!

dar31 wrote: »
    only dried off the first off ours last week!!
    good to have some milk coming in for when the price increases:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Hay_man

Silage question

Contractor finished bailing at half 7 this evening, but said he will not be able to wrap the bales till tomorrow morning.

I'm wondering will this effect the quality of the silage?

I though I read some where that bales should be wrapped within four hours of bailing.......

Hay_man wrote: »
    Silage question

Contractor finished bailing at half 7 this evening, but said he will not be able to wrap the bales till tomorrow morning.

I though I read some where that bales should be wrapped within four hours of bailing.......
    at this stage iwould just be happy to get them wrapped at any time, never had an issue of a span of time between baling and wrapping , normally 2 machines would be in field at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

Silage question

No effect at all in our experience.

With a long contrary draw we often do it this way and it suits our contractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

they must have been nice heifers to make those prices, fair play

Thanks vander.they were the pick of 9 in fairness 3 are plainer(1 byu 1stq and a kyr ) and 2 real good edj heifers that are a bit younger than the rest so we'l keep the 5 another month or 2. they were very well shaped thick square heifers but had'nt the pedigree b blue type doudle muscle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Oh the agony, decisions, decisions, decisions, can't decide whether to head to the beach or fix the topper and finish off a few thistles:o

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Silage question

The only isssue with them will be if they sag a little bit over night. Slightly our of shape bales don't turn as well on the wrapper and he won't be able to turn them on the table as fast as freshly made bales. It will be the contractor's own problem, he'll just have to take his time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

blue5000 wrote: »
    Oh the agony, decisions, decisions, decisions, can't decide whether to head to the beach or fix the topper and finish off a few thistles:o
    if you have a young family then go to the beech as the thistles will be there in years to come when kids are gone with memories of playing with dad on the beech.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jpos

Today's line includes, reading off after TB test, a round of golf (hopefully) and on to Puck Fair in the evening/next three days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

jpos wrote: »
    Today's line includes, reading off after TB test, a round of golf (hopefully) and on to Puck Fair in the evening/next three days.

Christ is it that time of year already

Evening/Early Morning would be more apt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

leg wax wrote: »
    if you have a young family then go to the beech as the thistles will be there in years to come when kids are gone with memories of playing with dad on the beech.:rolleyes:

thistles, nothing worse than trying to towel of sand from the craic of your ass when a tunder shower comes along. also taking kids to the beach would cost serious wedge I would imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I'm only a mile from the beach ....... but I still have two more fields of ragwort looking at me. Easy decision. Ragwort. Sad but true. Looking at the stuff absolutely wrecks my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jpos

Christ is it that time of year already

Evening/Early Morning would be more apt

Afraid so. The wallet will be getting a serious exercising over the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Afraid so. The wallet will be getting a serious exercising over the next few days.
    Fair pi""ing off trying to get a contractor to do work for me, im on hilly land and have 4 acres to bale, jes sick of begging lads:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

So will the liver:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Herd test done and dusted today, all clear thanks be to god *sigh of relief* :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Final three meadows of ours being mowed today, then off to do some bloody photography work for my brother. And I could be getting some nice sun on the lawn instead:p

sitting out in the back yard-chilling;)- and a heifer walked out from behind a trailer, my son who is 4 says " hold on i will play some music for her " grabs a mouth organ and walks over to her... hillarious:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

am i doing something seriously wrong or just the only (idiot) farmer that doesnt get time to sit down in the sun?
    sorry rough day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Nope your not....I spent whole day in jeep moving cattle,took advantage of weather to get some rushes sprayed and was moving stock to fresh grass....roaster of a day to be moving cattle:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

well a great day here silage finished home to a barbee with my wife and her friends from clare pissed now and good night:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭stanflt

-what a cracker of a day-got the last of silage bales in before 9this morning then picked up 35acres of silage and in between that got the straw baled and hay saved-didnt bale either myself:)
    got a phone call at 10pm from land lordond on the out farm to say a cow had calved- a bull by tsk- she wasnt due for 17days, thats the oman blood for you-will have to have her home for 8 in the morning for the end of milking and the outfarm is 14km away- hard to believe were calving again only eighty days break

stanflt wrote: »
    -what a cracker of a day-got the last of silage bales in before 9this morning then picked up 35acres of silage and in between that got the straw baled and hay saved-didnt bale either myself:)
    got a phone call at 10pm from land lordond on the out farm to say a cow had calved- a bull by tsk- she wasnt due for 17days, thats the oman blood for you-will have to have her home for 8 in the morning for the end of milking and the outfarm is 14km away- hard to believe were calving again only eighty days break
    another calf this morning and 2 more will calve during the day... the one that was born this morning is a njo bull cow was served 11/11/11 so the exact 9 months, very big calf

• Advertisement

second cut silage in and covered , round bales of silage done and in... barley straw in... cheers.... come on john joe:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

second cut silage in and covered , round bales of silage done and in... barley straw in... cheers.... come on john joe:)

any harm asking whats barley straw making ??

come on john joe is right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

any harm asking whats barley straw making ??

come on john joe is right!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i dont pay until i get my sfp, i buy it off my godfather so he goes easy on me

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭topgeas

is the ploughing match in doubt. heard they cant get in to cut the corn.

topgeas wrote: »
    is the ploughing match in doubt. heard they cant get in to cut the corn.

Rumour mill out again :rolleyes:

They'll get in alright.

nashmach wrote: »
    Rumour mill out again :rolleyes:

They'll get in alright.

its over 6 weeks off yet, FFS time to take a chill.

• Advertisement

its over 6 weeks off yet, FFS time to take a chill.

Agreed with you Bob :D

Site works started a few weeks back but harvest down here (I'm not far from the site) is no more than a week later than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

got me second cut in thank god, rest of the slurry out in the coming weeks and things should slaken, gona head off on an all dayer session in 4 weeks!:D

Walked an outfarm yesterday which hadnt been grazed in 6 weeks and pulled 8 ticks off myself with a tweezers last night after it, funny thing is I walked it last week and didnt have one on me. I reckon this warm weather must have brought them to the top of the grass so a word of warning to any of ye grazing strong old grass, keep an eye out for redwater because the ticks seem to have become very active over the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Walked an outfarm yesterday which hadnt been grazed in 6 weeks and pulled 8 ticks off myself with a tweezers last night after it, funny thing is I walked it last week and didnt have one on me. I reckon this warm weather must have brought them to the top of the grass so a word of warning to any of ye grazing strong old grass, keep an eye out for redwater because the ticks seem to have become very active over the last few days.

Their making the most of this brief dose of heat and humidity - had to take nearly a dozen off the hounds in recent days:(

Anyone know how much a solicitor charges to send out a simple warning letter?

Background:

A contractor crossed my property withour permission and caused a lot of damage. I asked him to repair it and after months and months of asking him he came back several months later and did a half arsed job, leaving drains filled in which has caused flooding, damage to laneways, drains blocked etc.

He has got thick about it and refuses to do anything more. I want to send him a little reminder, but I don't want to be out a fortune for it as I know I'll never recover it.

Thankfully I have no experience with legal matters.

• Advertisement

for a single consultation about an hour with letter sent €100- but did the job

reilig wrote: »
    Anyone know how much a solicitor charges to send out a simple warning letter?

Background:

A contractor crossed my property withour permission and caused a lot of damage. I asked him to repair it and after months and months of asking him he came back several months later and did a half arsed job, leaving drains filled in which has caused flooding, damage to laneways, drains blocked etc.

He has got thick about it and refuses to do anything more. I want to send him a little reminder, but I don't want to be out a fortune for it as I know I'll never recover it.

Thankfully I have no experience with legal matters.

should you not be taking it up with whoever the contractor was working for. Before pictures are essential when this type of arrangement has to take place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Had 2 lots of lambs out on Tuesday .
    1st pen of 12 weathers at 48kg made 105eur .
    2nd pen at 44kg weathers made 100eur .

Was just taking notes of prices overall , and was watching a pen of 48kg ram lambs sold at 95eur .
    Certainly pays to get the burdizo out at 10/head differ:cool: .

The brutal summer was plain to be seen out there though . Most of the lambs on offer were stores with only a small number fit for the hook straight away

from listening to the radio this morning there seems to have been serious rain in the midlands with roads closed etc:eek: we just got a bit of drizzle and its really warm here now, offloading small square bales that we brought home on saturday and i am roasting....what the weather like where you are?

from listening to the radio this morning there seems to have been serious rain in the midlands with roads closed etc:eek: we just got a bit of drizzle and its really warm here now, offloading small square bales that we brought home on saturday and i am roasting....what the weather like where you are?

Bright, breezy and dry at the moment, the night wasnt so good though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Dry right now, but went to top a paddock this morning and had to abandon it, land is seriously wet here after the weekend.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Look at what's coming on wednesday. Its not good to see yellow on a weather chart!

web_irl_rainfall_2012081512.gif?h=1344859200000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Alternating between fierce heavy down pours and very hot spells. Steam rising off the tar and concrete yard! Made deluge last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

.75in in the rain gauge when we got up at 7oc in the midlands, emptied it and then another.75in by 8oc... horrendous thunder and lightning

anyone notice the honeysuckle, seems to have come twice this year, was out in may and is out again now, love the smell, my dad says he never saw the likes of it before

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement