Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Had 2 lots of lambs out on Tuesday .
    1st pen of 12 weathers at 48kg made 105eur .
    2nd pen at 44kg weathers made 100eur .

Was just taking notes of prices overall , and was watching a pen of 48kg ram lambs sold at 95eur .
    Certainly pays to get the burdizo out at 10/head differ:cool: .

The brutal summer was plain to be seen out there though . Most of the lambs on offer were stores with only a small number fit for the hook straight away

Was trying to pick out a few lambs for the mart for Wednesday. They were slim picking. Lambs really not thriving this year. Picked our a pen of ram lambs. Not great but as good as they are going to get. Will reduce the stock pressure a little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

sea12 wrote: »
    Was trying to pick out a few lambs for the mart for Wednesday. They were slim picking. Lambs really not thriving this year. Picked our a pen of ram lambs. Not great but as good as they are going to get. Will reduce the stock pressure a little

Any cases of maggots with you this year ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

whelan1 wrote: »
    from listening to the radio this morning there seems to have been serious rain in the midlands with roads closed etc:eek: we just got a bit of drizzle and its really warm here now, offloading small square bales that we brought home on saturday and i am roasting....what the weather like where you are?

Some serious rain here today MT's alert for Galway this evening was spot on. The fields are swiming at the moment.

RTE's 9pm news coverage of the weather was brilliant as usual:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Some serious rain here today MT's alert for Galway this evening was spot on. The fields are swiming at the moment.

RTE's 9pm news coverage of the weather was brilliant as usual:mad:

They spelt occasional wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

sea12 wrote: »

Any cases of maggots with you this year ??

No none thank god but I had them them done with click a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

its going to be a nasty night

from mt page

ALERT for storm force winds with hurricane force gusts in exposed locations and very heavy rainfalls sweeping north tonight and lasting much of tomorrow, with some blustery squalls embedded. Potential for wind gusts to 80 mph in the most exposed coastal and upland locations, 60 mph more widely ... potential for 30-40 mms rainfall with severe flood risk where soils now saturated from previous rainfalls. More details in forecast.

Situation: A very powerful summer storm appears likely to develop explosively tonight as a deep vortex in the upper atmosphere rotates from its current location in the central Atlantic towards Biscay then north towards Valentia. A deep surface low that could reach 968 mbs is likely to develop very rapidly after midnight in response to this vortex (a swirl of colder air) slamming into the warm, humid air mass now present. The track of this low will be approximately due north across Kerry or near Valentia, up the west coast veering more to the northwest after passing Galway Bay mid-day Wednesday. The low will remain intense but will pull rapidly away from Ireland in the afternoon, leaving Mayo in the wake of diminishing southwest gales. Wind speeds should both rise and fall off rather swiftly during various phases of the low's brief rampage. All regions will be exposed to strong gusts although the highest wind speeds could be expected near Cork and various exposed locations. It would be very dangerous to be hiking above sheltered areas anywhere on Wednesday but fortunately this should become obvious before daylight. If you know of anyone with plans to set out today and camp, or anyone who left earlier on such an outing, they should be contacted and warned to return to shelter. Marine areas will see hurricane force wind gusts to force 11-12 and sailing after about 9 p.m. tonight is strongly discouraged. Persons living in hilly areas of the southwest should think back to a similar storm in January 2010 and assess possible wind damage risks from channelling of SSE winds pulled through gaps in the terrain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

thats all we need now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

fepper wrote: »
    thats all we need now!!

For us anyway it may as well be torrential as a light mist at this stage. I have "grazing" ground that could be sucked up with a slurry tank it's so sodden at this stage, it literally can't get any wetter.
    The wind just adds salt to the wounds.

For lads still trying to save fodder this must be like a kick in the nuts. Lad down the road pulled out the baker Saturday lunchtime as they were tracking the died. Has six acres lying now and god knows what will be done with it now.

Yer man MT has it nailed, nothing beats a personal interpretation of the weather, those computer generated forecasts are poor at best. It would serve RTE well if they looked at MT's forecast before giving out their own speel.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

I work in a port and we have a cruise ship in today.When some of passengers heard of hurricane winds coming they decided to go off ship and headed for home .must put up a few picks in pics thread.

hope it passes here as land is soaked......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

jerdee wrote: »
    I work in a port and we have a cruise ship in today.When some of passengers heard of hurricane winds coming they decided to go off ship and headed for home .must put up a few picks in pics thread.

I taught it was a much bigger cruiser, was in your port myself today. Jasus if anyone throws lighting fag around, everywhere within 5 miles will be dry in no time at all with all the coal thats currently sitting dock side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

He never commented on the size of the ship. So why the know all, comment at the start?

He never commented on the size of the ship. So why the know all, comment at the start?

I dono actually, me bad, it just looks much bigger from a distance, and I was disappointed when close up to it. Is that the same cruiser that has come 2 or 3 times this year Jerdee? was the first one not masshuvive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

so is it raining anywhere yet or windy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Smashing evening here so far anyhow . Not a puff of wind yet

moy83 wrote: »
    Smashing evening here so far anyhow . Not a puff of wind yet
    same here, am wondering is it all a fairy tale, had a glass of wine just in case its the last sun we see:)

• Advertisement

this is the thread that ye need to be watching they no there sh1te well most of them do any way

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056724475

you can see it coming in here

http://www.sat24.com/de/eu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭flat out !!

Talk of up to 100 mm of rain to come tomorrow. Fecks sake as if ground wasn't wet enough after yesterday mornings downpours. Borrowed mole plough today and spent few hours draining off surface water that had gathered, was v impressed with the job it did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

unbearably humid here this evening, calm before the storm i guess

must get the fert spreader on so, crops need a shot of heroin. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

must get the fert spreader on so, crops need a shot of heroin. :D
    Do they not look bad enough as they are?

• Advertisement

Talk of up to 100 mm of rain to come tomorrow. Fecks sake as if ground wasn't wet enough after yesterday mornings downpours. Borrowed mole plough today and spent few hours draining off surface water that had gathered, was v impressed with the job it did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Well does today put a cap on the summer? We've a few fields that had standing water before today and were kinda closing them for the year now :(

Was talking to a dairy man earlier and he was hoping for a good back end to the summer. It got me thinking of years where Sept/Oct were good, the summer had been fair enough, I don't remember real bad summers recovering to much of a back end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

bbam wrote: »
    Well does today put a cap on the summer? We've a few fields that had standing water before today and were kinda closing them for the year now :(

Was talking to a dairy man earlier and he was hoping for a good back end to the summer. It got me thinking of years where Sept/Oct were good, the summer had been fair enough, I don't remember real bad summers recovering to much of a back end.

In 2009, we had only 60 bales of silage made by August 12th. We got it all tidied up within 2 weeks after that and had a reasonably good September and October. Its not much beyond that yet. In 1993, I can recall making square bales of hay on September 7th. It was first cut and the land had been too wet to get to up to that.

Don't give up hope yet. It'll work out in the end! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

nature always balances its self out ,we will have a good sept oct nov:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Dozer1

I'm sure loads on here have family getting the leaving cert results today, hope they all got on well and will get the college choices they want.

One of my nieces got great results 570 points, but in fairness to her she studied hard for it.

maybe hard work does pay off:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

reilig wrote: »
    In 2009, we had only 60 bales of silage made by August 12th. We got it all tidied up within 2 weeks after that and had a reasonably good September and October. Its not much beyond that yet. In 1993, I can recall making square bales of hay on September 7th. It was first cut and the land had been too wet to get to up to that.

Don't give up hope yet. It'll work out in the end! ;)

what I don't like about this year is the way the leaves are changing colour so early, we were thinning ash yesterday and noticed a huge change in few days with how loose the branchlets are.

Hopefully it is because of the weather gone by and not a sign of the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

What worries me is that 2009 wasn't that long ago. So are we looking at more wetter summers and should people be planning accordingly, more silage for housing mid-summer etc. Remember the computer models for Global Warning predicted wetter summers for Ireland a few years back. The hard data doesn't lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

pakalasa wrote: »
    What worries me is that 2009 wasn't that long ago. So are we looking at more wetter summers and should people be planning accordingly, more silage for housing mid-summer etc. Remember the computer models for Global Warning predicted wetter summers for Ireland a few years back. The hard data doesn't lie.

I suppose the question is do you change your set up after 1 or 2 bad summers? Was it 85 and 86 that were 2 atrocious summers in a row?

We've had wet summers and summer floods before and going back into the 40's and 50's.

Personally i think you'd want 4 or 5 wet years in a row before you'd do anything too dramatic

Admittedly these year takes the biscuit

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FarmerWatch

Both years, 2009 and this year, there's a whole other cause I think. The El Nino weather system is stirring up over in central america at the moment, the last time it struck badly was 2009. There's drought in Russia, American and parts of Australia at the moment and the Indian monsoons are late... all that rain has to go somewhere and unfortunately it looks like it's here! :( It does mean an unusally warm Sep/Oct for us as the rain will concentrate in Central America for the start of Autumn. But if it's followed by an el Nina we could get a double kick of a very cold January. There's not enough research done on how it affects Europe really to be honest but they are praying it's only going to be a minor incident over there!

jerdee wrote: »

I taught it was a much bigger cruiser, was in your port myself today. Jasus if anyone throws lighting fag around, everywhere within 5 miles will be dry in no time at all with all the coal thats currently sitting dock side

I don t think you were in my port as coal stocks are very low compared to three months ago . SIze wise it's not the biggest mv adonia but I won t like to be swimming out of its way ...mostly grain here .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Hay_man

The weather has gone beyound a joke now :(

It's just sooo depressing to look out a window at that lashing rain :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Hay_man wrote: »
    The weather has gone beyound a joke now :(

It's just sooo depressing to look out a window at that lashing rain :(

And the top it off its not even 9 o clock yet and its getting dark .
    Welcome Autumn :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Hay_man

And the top it off its not even 9 o clock yet and its getting dark .
    Welcome Autumn :rolleyes:

Ahhh that's the iceing on the cake :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Well back today from a week in France without internet or contact with home i.e. only hearing today how bad the weather has been. I'd decided to house the cattle for the week while I was away and am glad now. I haven't had a chance to get down to the farm yet for a walkabout but going by this thread there'll be plenty water waiting for me:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

lately i dont even look at the milk docket as there is nothing i can do about our performance this year and i just find it better for my head to just switch off.

its friday, so who is going where for the weekend

my brother is getting married tomorrow, reception in the shellbourne hotel:eek: my daughter is flower girl , hopefully weather will improve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Double funeral today, championship game this evening, double months mind tomorrow, 50th birthday party tomorrow night and I know there's something else on Sunday but can't think of it right now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

takin the girlfriend for dinner(its her birthday:rolleyes:), soccer match this evening. And watch the tipp match sunday after milking the cows early!

• Advertisement

Emigrating party wife's best friend and partner are heading for Canada .taught it would be like 5hr flight to Toronto but its another 4hrs onwards to fortmc Murray.thats seems like the only parties these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Sitting in the airport waiting for a flight to London. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

reilig wrote: »
    Sitting in the airport waiting for a flight to London. :)

Oh - very nice. Well, enjoy London.

Don't be coming on here now over the weekend, checking that we're all behaving... we'll look after the place just grand ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

feeling sorry for myself swilling vast quatities of exputex mostly.

watch the match sunday and tomorrow we've a reliving our childhood family day out where we're going to the woods for a picnic then on to the beach in the afternoon then a bbq at my sisters afterwards.

or if the weather doesnt play ball we're all bringing ourselves and our childer to the parents house for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Night away and Dinner with d girlfriend tomorrow night followed by few drinks, dinner Sunday at her parents and watch d match also

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Going to check out the cattle trade in the mart, we have stores to sell in the coming weeks so we want to see what sort of stock the demand is for.
    Putting the finishing touches to a new slatted tank we dug out of existing hayshed
    Finding a fault with a mains fencer
    Updating the Bord Bia book
    Championship match on Sunday

• Advertisement

got up this morning to a cow calving, this cow puts jordans bust to shame, has had milk running for about 4 days, thought she's never calve, she was one of the "too posh to push" brigade :rolleyes: so had to bring her in and jack the calf out, a fine big belgian blue heifer out of idb...all well

got up this morning to a cow calving, this cow puts jordans bust to shame, has had milk running for about 4 days, thought she's never calve, she was one of the "too posh to push" brigade :rolleyes: so had to bring her in and jack the calf out, a fine big belgian blue heifer out of idb...all well

how come you don't use Angus on the dairy herd when you have a supply of bulls?

Tipp Man wrote: »
    how come you don't use Angus on the dairy herd when you have a supply of bulls?
    i use the angus bull to clean up at end of the year, the ones that are calving now are ai, this one was a carryover from the spring herd that hadnt gone in calf, decided to have a bit of variety:) have angus bull with heifers after ai also

Variety is the spice of life - or so they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

... a fine big belgian blue heifer out of idb...all well
    Just wondering how long would you typically keep the BB calves before selling. I know these BB calves can be very plain when born, especially if B&W colour. Is it worth your while to keep them for a few weeks till they throw out some shape?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement