Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

will keep it for 2 weeks on the cow... then mart all going well, nice shapely calf, big hips and a big head:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

had my first dbz calf this morn at 3, a heifer,big enough cant tell what she will be like as she has a hairy ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

what are freasin bullocks square enough sorts making in your area,400kgs. . . around me(mid leinster) it can be 300-400 along with kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

after a care free few months

pneumonia in a weanling and a lamb this evening , fecking lamb is dodgy enough,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Funny but tonight I took a real close look at the weanlings for signs of pneumonia. This is the weather for it alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Had today off so was spraying mad all day... i seemed to get no chance to get at it this Summer done bits here and there but not as much as id like

Put MCPA on grassland few rush patches and buttercups/flowers etc to clean up

Grazon 90 on few briars round the perimeter under fences etc

Then in the evening i put out one tank 95ltr of spot spraying asulox on ferns and im sorry to say the "spray window" for the ferns seems to have passed they gone brown so i concentrated on the green and smaller fronds.. its a bitch knowing that ill have to go over some of them again next year:mad:

Hope it all dried in time for the shower at 21.00

wish the rain would just **** off:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I take ye are having one of them summers that made run the feck away from farming as a teenager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I take ye are having one of them summers that made run the feck away from farming as a teenager

Keep running!!! What's the summer like where ever you are?

so long peoples, off to get pissed:D:D:D am actually wearing a dress, going to my brothers wedding, will be:cool: tomorrow

• Advertisement

just do it wrote: »

Not great in London, but operating a desk in air conditioned office I can live with it

Mind you looking after cows as a kid, is great training for dealing with customers.

Not great in London, but operating a desk in air conditioned office I can live with it

Mind you looking after cows as a kid, is great training for dealing with customers.
    Great few weeks with the Olympics I'd say - was the place buzzing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

1/2" water pipe to keep them in line

td5man wrote: »
    1/2" water pipe to keep them in line

some rations rattling in a bucket works better ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

At a wedding yesterday. dying today and trying to get ssuits organised for my own.

1chippy wrote: »
    At a wedding yesterday. dying today and trying to get ssuits organised for my own.
    Fair duece chippy, and yesterday's wedding hasn't deterred you! ;)

Best of luck, when's the big day?

start of Oct. same week cows start calving, wasnt great planning on my part.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Got hitched around then myself, after the wheat and before the maize:D
    Where are you headed for the honeymoon?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Sure you were only doing what you were told!!!!

• Advertisement

Vietnam for three weeks. seen a wee bit before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I took off fishing yesterday evening and had a great evening at it, caught 12 big pollock for myself. When I was walking back to the jeep i noticed a bmw just after pulling in behind me and thought nothing of it and unlocked the jeep so I could put my rod and things back in but I looked back and noticed your man bursting his arse off laughing and I figured then that his woman was taking a slash so I waited a minute before I heard her getting back in and I walked around then, the look of embarassment on her face was priceless and she gave a little salute, with a little grin on my face I gave her a wink and your man nearly fell out of the car laughing and she just put her face into her hand. Might not sound awful funny but it was hilarious at the time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Thanks Redz, just what I wanted to hear...:mad:
    I was back at the Lighhouse in Ballyvaughan myself yesterday. The first chance I got all year to do some. I was there early, about 2 but caught feck all. I lost al lot of feathers too. I was rightly fed up leaving. I always catch something. There was some foreigners near me and they caught a few mackeral.
    Where did you go and were you using feathers? I take it you caught the Pollock in near the shore. I love Pollock...

pakalasa wrote: »
    Thanks Redz, just what I wanted to hear...:mad:
    I was back at the Lighhouse in Ballyvaughan myself yesterday. The first chance I got all year to do some. I was there early, about 2 but caught feck all. I lost al lot of feathers too. I was rightly fed up leaving. I always catch something. There was some foreigners near me and they caught a few mackeral.
    Where did you go and were you using feathers? I take it you caught the Pollock in near the shore. I love Pollock...

I was over near ballyreen but not in ballyreen, Its a kind of a bit off the beaten track and not many people know about but it is full of pollock. Only brought 2 home but they wouldnt fit across the fridge whole they were so big. No I was using rubber sandeels on a very light rod and just flick them along the bottom slowly. Was getting bites most casts but they are finicky and never took the lure until it was under my feet. Casting no more then 20 yards on my little twig of a rod so they were in very close. Black head is like a desert, there is too many fishing there day in day out taking everything they catch!!

photo-173.jpg

came home earlier from wedding- best day ever! mental prices €6 for a bottle of corona:eek: €11 for a double tia maria. €200 for room for the night and if you are not a resident €32 for breakfast:eek::eek::eek: now i would have slept on a bench on stephens green i was wrecked, even though room was fab it was wasted on us... also valet parking only at €25 per night... honestly we are in the wrong job:)

The best time to do it, it's just about the only excuse you'll get away with for missing calving time! Sure if you get a camera that will communicate with your smartphone you can keep an eye on them and pass on instructions while slugging magaritas by the pool;)

• Advertisement

I was over near ballyreen but not in ballyreen, Its a kind of a bit off the beaten track and not many people know about but it is full of pollock. Only brought 2 home but they wouldnt fit across the fridge whole they were so big. No I was using rubber sandeels on a very light rod and just flick them along the bottom slowly. Was getting bites most casts but they are finicky and never took the lure until it was under my feet. Casting no more then 20 yards on my little twig of a rod so they were in very close. Black head is like a desert, there is too many fishing there day in day out taking everything they catch!!

photo-173.jpg
    So that's what a pollock looks like! Even though I'm from a fishing area I've done little to none of it myself. What are they like to eat? I must ask the locals for some to try them out....

whelan1 wrote: »
    came home earlier from wedding- best day ever! mental prices €6 for a bottle of corona:eek: €11 for a double tia maria. €200 for room for the night and if you are not a resident €32 for breakfast:eek::eek::eek: now i would have slept on a bench on stephens green i was wrecked, even though room was fab it was wasted on us... also valet parking only at €25 per night... honestly we are in the wrong job:)
    Yeah the hotel room for a wedding is a complete waste because it's the one night where it doesn't really matter how good a room or bed it is. As for breakfast, it's definitely the one morning you need a good fry!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I'm off for a few days, hospital wants me in :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Hope it's not too serious. best of luck:)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Kovu Murr wrote: »

Jeez K, sorry to hear it. Nothing too serious I hope. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Jeez K, sorry to hear it. Nothing too serious I hope. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery;)

Spent the day at Mohill Show to keep me going during the week! Ah well, I'll just have to get the nurses used of hair dye & white pillows! haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

Vietnam for three weeks. seen a wee bit before.

went there in dec 06 for our honeymoon. Also went to Cambodia. Best holiday ever.

Done the same journey as yer boys on top gear on their bikes, I took the bus and plane instead!

Cambodia shocking poor, no running water, toilets etc, but they all have mobile phones!

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Heavy squawley shower here around seven... got soaked and frozen :mad:
    Can't wait now till the kids go back to school next week so the weather takes up !!
    Theyre back next wednesday... that was one quick summer break..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

do you know how people do house swaps for holidays-could we do the same with farms. im sure theres lads in america would love our rain we certainly love some sun:)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

anyone know what would be the best thing to do. he's almost 18 months a bit taller than a weanling but hes well muscled and wide. his weight would be around 300 id say.

So that's what a pollock looks like! Even though I'm from a fishing area I've done little to none of it myself. What are they like to eat? I must ask the locals for some to try them out....

I dont eat fish :D..but the auld lad does and he loves them, I think he said it tastes a bit like cod or something, he even prefers it to seabass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I dont eat fish :D..but the auld lad does and he loves them, I think he said it tastes a bit like cod or something, he even prefers it to seabass.

Whats the Mackeral run like in Ballyvaughan??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

A lot of people that bought "Cod" and chips know what Pollock taste like. It's good eating.

I was away a while myself too and I notice Tora Bora has left the building! Who next I wonder.
    Best of luck TB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Finno59 wrote: »
    anyone know what would be the best thing to do. he's almost 18 months a bit taller than a weanling but hes well muscled and wide. his weight would be around 300 id say.

ideal for the freezer or the circus i would say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Bizzum wrote: »

A lot of people that bought "Cod" and chips know what Pollock taste like. It's good eating.

I was away a while myself too and I notice Tora Bora has left the building! Who next I wonder.
    Best of luck TB.

What's the story with lads pulling plant out of boards?! They starting up a splinter group or something?!

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Whats the Mackeral run like in Ballyvaughan??
    It was very good in May before there was many really fishing for them, I have the freezer full since then so havnt tried for them really since but from what i hear there are a lot of joeys in but the good sized ones are scarce enough.
    Bodacious wrote: »
    What's the story with lads pulling plant out of boards?! They starting up a splinter group or something?!

Ya I noticed a good few have left in the last few weeks too, thought it a bit strange to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Bodacious wrote: »

Are they moving over to BFF or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Finno59 wrote: »

we have a heifer the same 10mts old and only about 150kgs again a bb. we going to put her in the freezer as said here earlier!! by the way what is her sire?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

neighbours stock bull! sorry should of put CH before the BB. his mother was BBxFR. ya either freezer or factory

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/3788821

Anyone fancy putting a value on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

They yours just do it? Lovely animals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

less than if they weren't in-calf, thousand, if you can find a man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

less than if they weren't in-calf, thousand, if you can find a man

Why, whats wrong with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

johnpawl wrote: »
    Why, whats wrong with them?

nothing, in calf animals are not in demand and with even less money or fodder about, hence the current live animal prices

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

the likes of them were making 1000/1200 in carnew 2 weeks ago

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement