Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I sold my suck calves that I posted about last week - CH heifer, of BB cow, 6 weeks old made €420. BB bull off CH cow, 8 weeks old, but a little under fed because the cow hadn't much milk made €480. CH bull off limousin cow - 4 weeks old made €400.

Sold 2 of the above cows as well. The CH cow was 16 years old, had only 2 milk quarters and was 660kg and made €990. The BB cow was 8 years old, a miser on milk and year after year produced the worst calf. She was 870kg and made €1500. Thought I did well. At least the load is a bit lighter with grass being scarce.

Bodacious wrote: »
    What's the story with lads pulling plant out of boards?! They starting up a splinter group or something?!

One or 2 people were disciplined (not by this forum) for posts that they wrote and they seem to have just got the huff and deregistered.

The others, I don't know.

Perhaps they will come back under a different username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

J DEERE wrote: »
    just do it wrote: »
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/3788821

Anyone fancy putting a value on these?

They yours just do it? Lovely animals
    Not mine or no connection. Thinking this might be the way to go though, AAxBF cows using a CH terminal sire.

Not mine or no connection. Thinking this might be the way to go though, AAxBF cows using a CH terminal sire.

I got away from this in recent years. You'll have great milking cows that are easy fed, but calves off a CH bull will come a brown mousey colour. Exporters won't want them, and if they are over done, finishers won't like them either.

I'd be aiming for the calves off these heifers - Limousin if possible. This would take away the narrow bone and tight skin - you' still have a history of milk in them, but you'd also have a good bit of continental in them. They would breed serious calves off a CH, Part, Lim or BB bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Hay_man

bbam wrote: »
    Are they moving over to BFF or something?

Yes I know muckit is another one who has gone very quiet here in the last while to,

I have both the forum4farming open here and boards,

F4F has 18 members online now :eek:

and boards has 9 :eek:

Whats going on :confused::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Some showers going over here today. Got caught out in one earlier, in two minutes it looked like I was dipped into a barrel of water!
    Have been talking to a few lads who are weaning spring born weanlings this week to house the cows.

Anyone see the inventions section at Tullamore Show? They did an article about it in today's indo. I was looking at the hydraulic crush that won in the flesh in Tullamore. It was a good invention, but god help us the welding on it was similar to the welding of mine that my father described as "spit" welding when I was 10 years old.

I'm guessing the prize is for the idea or invention as opposed to the quality of the build ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Good idea but wondered about the head scoop in front gate as you can t feel the pressure you are putting on stock.bit like slaughter houses for halal meat.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

reilig wrote: »
    Anyone see the inventions section at Tullamore Show? They did an article about it in today's indo. I was looking at the hydraulic crush that won in the flesh in Tullamore. It was a good invention, but god help us the welding on it was similar to the welding of mine that my father described as "spit" welding when I was 10 years old.

I'm guessing the prize is for the idea or invention as opposed to the quality of the build ;)

was this not invented already, im sure there are similar products available in either UK or definitely NZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

had a little health scare a couple of months ago, any how went for tests and was on treatment, went for my follow up tests this morn.

all clear, come back in 18 months .. I can live with that, afraid you guys will have to put up with me for a little longer ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Some showers going over here today. Got caught out in one earlier, in two minutes it looked like I was dipped into a barrel of water!
    Have been talking to a few lads who are weaning spring born weanlings this week to house the cows.

Took action myself last week and weaned the spring calves. 3 months earlier than last year. All settled down now, on good after grass and getting a bit of meal. Can't see how they could be doing any better in the sheds or having the cows eat the best of the grass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

I'm back early from Carnaross. it was absolutely sick to see the prices tonight. Reilig you done well on the calves. cows with four month old calves selling for 1100. big springing charlaois heifer made the best money at 1400.
    Heifer weanlings over 300kg making less than 600. The only animals selling were export quality blue bulls between 350-450 kgs. Anyone that says you will make as much on limo or charlaois are dreaming. we have mainly limo this year and bloody lucky we are not under pressure to sell.

snowman707 wrote: »
    had a little health scare a couple of months ago, any how went for tests and was on treatment, went for my follow up tests this morn.

all clear, come back in 18 months .. I can live with that, afraid you guys will have to put up with me for a little longer ;)
    I'm glad to hear it snowman, salads and mineral water from here on in and you'll be grand;)

1chippy wrote: »
    I'm back early from Carnaross. it was absolutely sick to see the prices tonight. Reilig you done well on the calves. cows with four month old calves selling for 1100. big springing charlaois heifer made the best money at 1400.
    Heifer weanlings over 300kg making less than 600. The only animals selling were export quality blue bulls between 350-450 kgs. Anyone that says you will make as much on limo or charlaois are dreaming. we have mainly limo this year and bloody lucky we are not under pressure to sell.

Had a quick look in at the weanling sale in Ennis today, saw about 5 bulls and 5 heifers go through. I thought prices were good, but well back, all considering. All made €2.10/kg with some nice stock making €2.30/€2.40. Two bulls around 400kg suitable for export made a bit more around €2.75/kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

have 8 stores to sell on thrusday in castlerea around 340-390kgs. 18months, mostly blacks and 2 mountbeliarde bullocks. Hopefully they'l go ok. 1 lovely peachy coloured char heifer out of MO cow with white face, perfect for breeding.

Finno59 wrote: »
    have 8 stores to sell on thrusday in castlerea around 340-390kgs. 18months, mostly blacks and 2 mountbeliarde bullocks. Hopefully they'l go ok. 1 lovely peachy coloured char heifer out of MO cow with white face, perfect for breeding.
    Good luck Finno and make sure to report back;)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Stick on BBC 4, good programme on the history of beef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

1chippy wrote: »
    I'm back early from Carnaross. it was absolutely
    sick to see the prices tonight. Reilig you done well on the calves. cows with four month old calves selling for 1100. big springing charlaois heifer made the best money at 1400.

were these big mature cows or light first calvers either way twas small money for them roughly what weight were they ??
    what sort of calves had they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Hay_man wrote: »
    Yes I know muckit is another one who has gone very quiet here in the last while

I'm still here! :D I thought ye were sick of listening to me!!

I was gettin' a little addicted to the F&F forum has to be said and other things weren't gettin' done.

Getting things sorted before my wedding the start of October ;)
    Boards I can live without (for a while), but I'd be lost without the missus ;) (ahh!)

was this not invented already, im sure there are similar products available in either UK or definitely NZ

I agree with you Bob 100%. That 'inventions' stand is a pure joke in Tullamore. They're not inventions. Most of them are invented already, they're just variations on the idea. A lot of the exhibitions are made by lads with too much time on their hands IMO.

• Advertisement

Jeez it will be quiet on here come October due to lads going on honeymoon. Make sure to send us an ePostcard if there is such a thing :)

ellewood wrote: »
    were these big mature cows or light first calvers either way twas small money for them roughly what weight were they ??
    what sort of calves had they?
    calves were ok quality, i'll admit a lot were (running with bull but not sure) so seemed a bit iffy. cows ranged from light to big frames, majority were fairly empty and would take a fair bit of feeding if they were to be killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

have 20 cows and heifers calved in last 2 weeks.. lost 2 calves 1 was born with cleanings over face- i was away at a wedding- and the other was born early... also had a suckler cow calved yesterday- a surprise- she had calved last november and bull was out from 1st december, went to tag calf, the cows always go mental when we go to tag them and the bvd tag broke- typical- the needle part snapped when iwent to apply it:eek: had to run and get a new set of tags for the calf, luckily i always use the bvd tag first. anyways have 9 friesian heifer calves, 2 bb heifers and the rest friesian bulls

whelan1 wrote: »
    have 20 cows and heifers calved in last 2 weeks.. lost 2 calves 1 was born with cleanings over face- i was away at a wedding- and the other was born early... also had a suckler cow calved yesterday- a surprise- she had calved last november and bull was out from 1st december, went to tag calf, the cows always go mental when we go to tag them and the bvd tag broke- typical- the needle part snapped when iwent to apply it:eek: had to run and get a new set of tags for the calf, luckily i always use the bvd tag first. anyways have 9 friesian heifer calves, 2 bb heifers and the rest friesian bulls

Good going Whelan1. Hopefully you'I have few if any more losses.
    RE tagging... you've tagged more calves than I have had hot dinners I'm sure, but might be an idea to check the tip of the needle on the tagger aswel. If even a little bit is missing off it, it won't support the bullet of the tag and it'I go to one side rather than go through hole when you go to tag.;)

Interesting point from one of the better farmers in today's comic. None of his top 20% of calves based on weight gain came from his top 20% heaviest cows.

Interesting point from one of the better farmers in today's comic. None of his top 20% of calves based on weight gain came from his top 20% heaviest cows.

Heavy cows are heavy for a reason. They put feeding on their back instead of into milk. A good cow will lose condition over the summer as she puts it all into producing milk to feed her calf. Calves that get the most milk will have the best weight gain.

Muckit wrote: »
    Good going Whelan1. Hopefully you'I have few if any more losses.
    RE tagging... you've tagged more calves than I have had hot dinners I'm sure, but might be an idea to check the tip of the needle on the tagger aswel. If even a little bit is missing off it, it won't support the bullet of the tag and it'I go to one side rather than go through hole when you go to tag.;)
    i'd say it was more of my fault as i was rushing as the cow was going mad for the calf, i had 3 sets of taggers and i'd say it wasnt lined up right:cool:

big local tillage farmer got a few of the big combines at combines for charity to cut his winter barley on their way home, apparently the combines wheren't set right and most of the grain stayed on the straw, dont know what he is going to do with the straw, its on the ground since then, would they have to get it through the combine again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

big local tillage farmer got a few of the big combines at combines for charity to cut his winter barley on their way home, apparently the combines wheren't set right and most of the grain stayed on the straw, dont know what he is going to do with the straw, its on the ground since then, would they have to get it through the combine again?

that sounds like a pub tale, could put it through combine again but it would be a pain in the arse. was the idiot not checking over the back losses in field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

that sounds like a pub tale, could put it through combine again but it would be a pain in the arse. was the idiot not checking over the back losses in field
    +1 i thought it would or should be standard practice to walk behind combine for 1st 10 mins or so checking under swards of straw for lost grain...not doing this is like going milking without checking if the milk pipe is in the bulk tank.

no one could understand why it hadnt been baled, the field owner would be a very percise man, everything done right by the book, guy that told me would know his stuff.... surely the longer its on the ground the worse it will get?

+1 i thought it would or should be standard practice to walk behind combine for 1st 10 mins or so checking under swards of straw for lost grain...not doing this is like going milking without checking if the milk pipe is in the bulk tank.
    i think this was cut after the combines for charity event , the big combines where heading back north afaik... i am not a cereal person so know nothing about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Hi Whelan ,

Could that cow be bulled before bull went out on December 1st, even of he bulled her dec 5th she shouldnt be due until mid sept?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

...not doing this is like going milking without checking if the milk pipe is in the bulk tank.

Not many dairy men could deny this happens.. :D

Not many dairy men could deny this happens.. :D
    only happens once though ... after that you recheck:)

• Advertisement

Bodacious wrote: »
    Hi Whelan ,

Could that cow be bulled before bull went out on December 1st, even of he bulled her dec 5th she shouldnt be due until mid sept?!
    just went to register calf online , computer kept saying she was calving within 300 days was i sure i wanted to proceed, calf is full term, very hairy- the cow must be a bit of a slapper- yes imean the bull came away from them on 1 december

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Well done Whelan :) , do you ever use sexed semen on the friesians??

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Well done Whelan :) , do you ever use sexed semen on the friesians??
    used it about 5 years ago found it a total waste between low conception rates and bull calves, so just stick to normal now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

how long will it take 12 calves to graze 3 acres of 2 month old lush grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

only happens once though ... after that you recheck:)

when we were milking the drain from the dairy returned through the pit so WHEN we for got to put the pipe in the tank we only lost a couple of gallons before we noticed:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I'm back! (For a couple of weeks at least)
    I've given enough blood every day to bring the dodo back to life:P

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    I'm back! (For a couple of weeks at least)
    I've given enough blood every day to bring the dodo back to life:P[/QUOTE

WB Karen Glad you're ok

when we were milking the drain from the dairy returned through the pit so WHEN we for got to put the pipe in the tank we only lost a couple of gallons before we noticed:o:o
    we have that too, but before we did it did happen

Bit the bullet today and rented 40 acres of grass. It was that or let the cows in on the grass for the second cut, house some of the others and open this year's silage. Its good grass which hasn't been eaten since April. Ground is as dry as a bone - some comparison with what we have. Lucky to get it i suppose. Its 30 miles away but I pass it on the way to work every day!

Was talking to a guy who works for born na mona today, He recons that they pay a load of money to weather forecasters because their job is so weather dependent. Anyway, their advisors recon that all the signs are in place that we are going to have a good month of september. I hope they are right. Its nice to a glimmer of hope, it raises the spirits a little and if they are wrong, at least we will have someone to blame!! :D

reilig wrote: »
    Bit the bullet today and rented 40 acres of grass. It was that or let the cows in on the grass for the second cut, house some of the others and open this year's silage. Its good grass which hasn't been eaten since April. Ground is as dry as a bone - some comparison with what we have. Lucky to get it i suppose. Its 30 miles away but I pass it on the way to work every day!

Was talking to a guy who works for born na mona today, He recons that they pay a load of money to weather forecasters because their job is so weather dependent. Anyway, their advisors recon that all the signs are in place that we are going to have a good month of september. I hope they are right. Its nice to a glimmer of hope, it raises the spirits a little and if they are wrong, at least we will have someone to blame!! :D
    good luck with the land... hope the forecasters are right, will probably have to rehouse my cows tomorrow night, disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I went herding today to find a january born Simm heifer bulling.... at 8 months of age....:eek:.... Big panic then to seperate.

had a cow with sunstroke to day, ..

can't ever remember a case before, she's fairly off form,

any body any experience of it?

pakalasa wrote: »
    I went herding today to find a january born Simm heifer bulling.... at 8 months of age....:eek:.... Big panic then to seperate.
    we had a heifer that got bulled at 6 months. calved down last dec with a serious pull. fine heifer calf, now. reckon another month or two and she will be a lot bigger than her mother. She isnt worth selling, as no one would be interested with her size and appearance so we said we would chance her another year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

snowman707 wrote: »
    had a cow with sunstroke to day, ..

can't ever remember a case before, she's fairly off form,

any body any experience of it?

Is it photosensitization? I had a cow with it before. Usually caused by eating a plant such as ragwort. UV light then sets off a reaction.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Is it photosensitization? I had a cow with it before. Usually caused by eating a plant such as ragwort. UV light then sets off a reaction.

don't know, wasn't here when the vet came, she's is on fairly clean pasture, and definitely no ragwort.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement