Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

reilig wrote: »
    Bizzum wrote: »
    I notice a few more departed these fair shores.

Good luck BDee1 Atilathehun and Red menace.

We'll be opening a book on who's next!

I don't think they have gone all that far. One or 2 of them may be still here under a different guise :D
    Ah reilig, now you're teasing us :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I could take a guess at one of the new posters original username aswell but I wont say anything for the minute ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Checkin out Redzers, Just do its (Pak I'm not sure what part of clare you're from!?) neck of the woods this weekend.

Touring weeeest Clare, staying in Liscannor on a Boards.ie deal..... 2nights B&B for 2 +bottle of wine for €80!! Where the f**k would you be going??

Came down from Galway city through kinvara and along the coast by Ballyvaughan/finore/doolin. Ashamed to say first time came down this way. wow! what scenery and some smashing land and cattle (more than a few fields of lovely charolais). Yes the land is hilly, but my God I passed some great fields of grass!! Would that land be designated 'the burren' and 'disadvantaged'???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Muckit wrote: »
    Touring weeeest Clare, staying in Liscannor on a Boards.ie deal..... 2nights B&B for 2 +bottle of wine for €80!! Where the f**k would you be going??

thats cheaper than being at home, great part of the country and luckily for me, my home away from home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Checkin out Redzers, Just do its (Pak I'm not sure what part of clare you're from!?) neck of the woods this weekend.

Came down from Galway city through kinvara and along the coast by Ballyvaughan/finore/doolin. Ashamed to say first time came down this way. wow! what scenery and some smashing land and cattle (more than a few fields of lovely charolais). Yes the land is hilly, but my God I passed some great fields of grass!! Would that land be designated 'the burren' and 'disadvantaged'???

there are more attractions than scenery and livestock , my youngest lad has a set of tyres worn courting a girl from that region

spent the last couple of hours bringing cattle home from the out farm and bringing sheep over there. that's my last trump card used up, if conditions get any worse we will have to house them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Its classed as disadvantaged alright but in the burren life scheme you will only get paid for the ''burren'' land. You had right to call in for the tea when you were passing fanore ;), I hope you arent one of those tourists that stops every 2 minutes taking pictures of the rock on the coast road :rolleyes:. There is some great land from ballyvaughan to kinvara alright and its as dry as a cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

was out and about in the car today, theres a serious amount of corn still to be cut, unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

As if the bad weather wasn't annoying enough,just after seeing one of my best suckler cows AIed since April with about ten bull calves after her.

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    As if the bad weather wasn't annoying enough,just after seeing one of my best suckler cows AIed since April with about ten bull calves after her.

Must be the day thats in it, just seen a heifer that was bulled last may with the bull above on her :mad:

I hope you arent one of those tourists that stops every 2 minutes taking pictures of the rock on the coast road :rolleyes:. There is some great land from ballyvaughan to kinvara alright and its as dry as a cork.

No we didn't stop until we got down! Quick trip to kilkee today. God 'the massey is classy' around these parts and they're not 35X's either! :D

• Advertisement

No we didn't stop until we got down! Quick trip to kilkee today. God 'the massey is classy' around these parts and they're not 35X's either! :D

Whelan has a bit of a monolopy on the tractor front back west as we call it!! All north Clare is zetors and kubota's then....Might help if you get lost, follow the tractors :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Just wondering if covering the eyes with a temporary blindfold is of any use in 'calming' agitated cattle or sheep at all?
    Something I noticed on those Nat Geo shows when they go to capture or relocate wild animals in Africa.

Tried it myself with one cow. I mader the very very silly mistake of going between the bars of the crush. Two cracked ribs later and the b**ch was gone.

Great deal Muckit, and you're getting a nice weekend for it too! Yeah the scenery is great alright, I'd to move away for a few years to appreciate it. Keep coming down the road a bit beyond Liscannor and the dry limestone land thins out;).

To be fair we didn't lock her head till it looked like she would burst out of the little crush type enclosure, there is a skulling gate at the end but i prefer not to use it as cows usually go down when you lock their heads, calf died later on today, disappointing after getting her out alive
    Sorry to hear it vanderbadger

Just wondering if covering the eyes with a temporary blindfold is of any use in 'calming' agitated cattle or sheep at all?
    Something I noticed on those Nat Geo shows when they go to capture or relocate wild animals in Africa.
    A sure-fire way of getting killed I'd say! They normally tranquilize those wild animals as well.

You should have given a wave when you passed my place;)

If we are tagging or dehorning calves I would usually cover the eye on the side that is being done when im holding them for the father . I think its no harm that they cant see the new tag or hot iron coming , and i think it keeps them quieter anyhow .
    Now a cow on the other hand wouldnt fall for that peek a boo craic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Whelan has a bit of a monolopy on the tractor front back west as we call it!! All north Clare is zetors and kubota's then....Might help if you get lost, follow the tractors :D
    Jeez shes everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

td5man wrote: »
    Jeez shes everywhere

Think that's Joe Whelan is it Redz?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

The banner is well represented here in F&F. It's not a county I know at all well. I must make a visit!

jimmy G M wrote: »
    have to laugh - thats my sons name:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Absolutely fukcing fuming .
    Parked the jeep up outside the house this evening when i was goin in for the dinner as i do every evening .
    Just after getting into it there to drive down to check springing heifers , an seen the glove compartment open and the contents pulled all over the place .
    Sat Nav gone , and money . Absolute lowdown scum

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Parked the jeep up outside the house this evening when i was goin in for the dinner as i do every evening .
    Just after getting into it there to drive down to check springing heifers , an seen the glove compartment open and the contents pulled all over the place .

Sickener alright. The lowlife will know where they're going now, and how long it takes to get there. They can even plot a route to avoid tolls. I could be next on their list:mad:

Sorry to hear that rich the same thing happened to me outside a shop one morning . The sad thing is it shows the way things are goin in rural areas :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Richk2012 wrote: »

Absolute bummer. Has happened here a few times to people visiting graves at the local cementry.

Don't suppose anyone saw anything?

• Advertisement

just do it wrote: »
    Great deal Muckit, and you're getting a nice weekend for it too! Yeah the scenery is great alright, I'd to move away for a few years to appreciate it. Keep coming down the road a bit beyond Liscannor and the dry limestone land thins out;).

Poxed with the weather alright! Maybe it's from living inland, but I find that there's nothing like walking along a beach and smelling the sea air that tells my brain 'Your on your holidays!' I've never been so chilled out ;) Everywhere is mobbed down here too, it's like being abroad, great atmosphere! I suppose it is the last weekend before the kids go back to school.

Great part of the country I have to say 'banner boys'. And it's not 100 miles away from me either. I'I definitely be back again ;)

just do it wrote: »
    You should have given a wave when you passed my place;)

You know I passed one flat section along the road (non hilly) from Lahinch to Kilkee and I thought it looked like some of the photos you posted previously ;)

I always had this picture of Clare being full of really tiny farms, but there's plenty of 3 row high stacks of bales I passed and slatted sheds to match!

Passed the odd silage pit too (serious one coming through Ballyvaughan.. I think) How the f**k do ye get a silage harvester up those hills!!?? I'd say a lot of double chop judging by the slope on the pit sides.

You know I passed one flat section along the road (non hilly) from Lahinch to Kilkee and I thought it looked like some of the photos you posted previously ;)

I always had this picture of Clare being full of really tiny farms, but there's plenty of 3 row high stacks of bales I passed and slatted sheds to match!

Passed the odd silage pit too (serious one coming through Ballyvaughan.. I think) How the f**k do ye get a silage harvester up those hills!!?? I'd say a lot of double chop judging by the slope on the pit sides.

Its been a long time since a double chop rolled out in ballyvaughan I can tell ya :)

jimmy G M wrote: »

Tis indeed.

off sick for a few days and hadn't seen one bunch of grazing heifers for 3 days, turned up this morning and the 30 of them were lying inside a 4 acre field of sugar beet for what looks like the last 2 or 3 day and they were in plenty of grass in the field there were in. Most probably dogs drove them in as it a wire gap in the corner of the field. All of them okay but a f*cked field of beet. As we say **** happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭bt12

Passed the odd silage pit too (serious one coming through Ballyvaughan.. I think) How the f**k do ye get a silage harvester up those hills!!?? I'd say a lot of double chop judging by the slope on the pit sides.[/QUOTE]

u should see some of the places they cut silage in east clare, serious steep land...mental stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

off sick for a few days and hadn't seen one bunch of grazing heifers for 3 days, turned up this morning and the 30 of them were lying inside a 4 acre field of sugar beet for what looks like the last 2 or 3 day and they were in plenty of grass in the field there were in. Most probably dogs drove them in as it a wire gap in the corner of the field. All of them okay but a f*cked field of beet. As we say **** happens

And if you were watching them every day they would never stir..might be worse if they got out on road sure

Murphy's law, sorry to hear it Bob.

Its been a long time since a double chop rolled out in ballyvaughan I can tell ya :)

Just in home. Realised comin' home Vander twas finore I seen the silage pit;) :p Ya ye like yer bales in Clare! Spotted a few John Deere 10 series too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

Busy busy day.Cracking weather in Donegal, started combining the winter wheat after lunch,wasn't expecting a bumper yield due to small grains but it did alot better than I thought almost 4 ton/acre.Missed the football match but the result was good!.

Busy busy day.Cracking weather in Donegal, started combining the winter wheat after lunch,wasn't expecting a bumper yield due to small grains but it did alot better than I thought almost 4 ton/acre.Missed the football match but the result was good!.

Hope you've it all tied up before the final. I can't see anyone beating Donegal.

Just been brought up a batch of fresh mackeral.......now time to learn to gut fish...at 8am:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Absolute bummer. Has happened here a few times to people visiting graves at the local cementry.

Don't suppose anyone saw anything?

No ,there was a couple of cars done in the area on sat evening .
    Maybe its a blessing in discuise i didnt catch him in the act , because in the heat of the moment you wouldnt know what could have happened .
    And them lads always retaliate , all it takes is one lit match into a shed full of hay or straw

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Just been brought up a batch of fresh mackeral.......now time to learn to gut fish...at 8am:o

This is the way I do it Karen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Nice quality cattle, must be eating a fair amount to have that kind of condition on them

would he not be better off having a clearance/reduction sale and hope auction fever kicks in?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/3815528

• Advertisement

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Nice quality cattle, must be eating a fair amount to have that kind of condition on them

would he not be better off having a clearance/reduction sale and hope auction fever kicks in?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/3815528
    you would think so, no pics of calves either

This is the way I do it Karen

:eek:

Free Mackerel in Leitrim.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

if he will only sell them as a job lot then he will be selling cheep cows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

part cow went 305 days, big dead calf a smell off him after he came out the side, hope the cow will be alright a bit worried as calf was smelly.

leg wax wrote: »
    part cow went 305 days, big dead calf a smell off him after he came out the side, hope the cow will be alright a bit worried as calf was smelly.

long course of antibiotics as was probably recommended by your vet should keep her right. Nothing worse than the smell of pulling dead calves and lambs, all part of the job unfortunately

smart girl

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/schoolbooks/3810985

she is selling her work too cheap I would think

unreal morning, pissing rain, was a young calf missing so walked the place in lashing rain, no sign, spent over an hour looking for it, then went back to shed and it was there all the time:cool: i had posted 8 bvd tag samples last tuesday and i would normally get the results on friday, no sign so i rang enfer,want to bring some of them to mart tomorrow, they never got them:eek: fookity fook, had visions of having to re order tags for them ... then they rang me back and they had found them:D thank god will have results this evening... then brought kids to town as a treat before going to school, put my hand in my pocket to pay , no visa card:eek::eek: had visions of some scanger going on holidays on my card, was deciding if i would cancel it or not after turning the house upside down when i found it under the keyboard of the computer... phew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Visa card at the keyboard, dangerous mixture.
    Late night online shopping, or maybe paddy power?

Bad morning here too but it has blown into a great afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

smart girl

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/schoolbooks/3810985

she is selling her work too cheap I would think

She'll have no shortage of takers anyway - a lot of lazy young lads heading into 6th year who would pay double to have that and take it handy for the year.
    I "borrowed" a Masters thesis to "look at" many moons ago when I was doing mine.

• Advertisement

bloody hell its after making a flash flood here in a 5 min spell

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement