Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

In hosp again. Thank f**k I thought of the laptop this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

bloody hell its after making a flash flood here in a 5 min spell

Mind you dont get swept to lahinch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Mind you dont get swept to lahinch :D

no the flood waters didnt quite make it up the hill, i still got a good soaking though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    In hosp again. Thank f**k I thought of the laptop this time.
    look after yourself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

leg wax wrote: »
    part cow went 305 days, big dead calf a smell off him after he came out the side, hope the cow will be alright a bit worried as calf was smelly.
    Jeez sorry to hear it legs, hope the cow pulls through for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

whelan1 wrote: »
    unreal morning, pissing rain, was a young calf missing so walked the place in lashing rain, no sign, spent over an hour looking for it, then went back to shed and it was there all the time:cool: i had posted 8 bvd tag samples last tuesday and i would normally get the results on friday, no sign so i rang enfer,want to bring some of them to mart tomorrow, they never got them:eek: fookity fook, had visions of having to re order tags for them ... then they rang me back and they had found them:D thank god will have results this evening... then brought kids to town as a treat before going to school, put my hand in my pocket to pay , no visa card:eek::eek: had visions of some scanger going on holidays on my card, was deciding if i would cancel it or not after turning the house upside down when i found it under the keyboard of the computer... phew!

Can I ask how the calves sold or did you make it to the mart. We're there many calves on offer and how we're calf prices in general? I'm in the market and wondering how prices are looking
    Cheers

bbam wrote: »
    Can I ask how the calves sold or did you make it to the mart. We're there many calves on offer and how we're calf prices in general? I'm in the market and wondering how prices are looking
    Cheers
    Bbam
    Is it tricky getting genuine BF crosses with the amount of holstein breeding in the national dairy herd?

just do it wrote: »
    Bbam
    Is it tricky getting genuine BF crosses with the amount of holstein breeding in the national dairy herd?

Yea.
    Everything is called a BF cross until you see it, some lads seem to have very boney BF cows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

the Tipp/Kilkenny area is the palce to go for BF cows. Probably down to being the main catchment area of Dovea

Cheers
    34 calves in the sale, i brought 4, got 150 for 2 and 100 for 2, very hard sold:o a friend was buying calves bought a nice whitehead heifer a month old for €320, a ch heifer for 250 and blue heifer for 300,... most fr bulls around 100, angis heifer around 150

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

the Tipp/Kilkenny area is the palce to go for BF cows. Probably down to being the main catchment area of Dovea

There are hard got, when I was in dairying I tried to avoid holstein breeding, but a lot of my cows would have some holstein blood in them, maybe 5-10% even though they are half angus! This was from using dovea (fr?) bulls always.

I think the only way you'll get genuine british fresians is from someone who had their own bulls and were breeding pedigrees.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

we picked up a good few lim out of bf this year. they were very hard got. the two farmers i bought off were the only two round here with the bf herds. both were more traditional dairy herds. I bought a couple through the mart too and you can really see the diference as they go on. reckon more holstein in them.

Lashing here, sitting in the car waiting for it to pass. Cows in again but hopefully only for 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

just do it wrote: »
    Lashing here, sitting in the car waiting for it to pass. Cows in again but hopefully only for 2 days.

yep a few days fine weather promised but they would want to be fairly good after this morning..

yep a few days fine weather promised but they would want to be fairly good after this morning..
    not raining here yet:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

After having 2 hours of thunder and lightning here as well as a big cloudburst last night :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Some fine weather on the way folks;
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/avnpanel1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Serious serious rain in the West lastnight... and letting it down still ;-(

sun splitting the stones here, unreal, sweat running off me :D please keep the rain down there

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

lashing down here in west cork.and not looking good for tte rest of the weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

http://thestory.ie/2012/08/29/european-commission-review-of-irelands-bailout-programme/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

page 52 onwards if people want to see where the country is heading,

the auld phrase of "tough times don't last, tough people do" comes to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Bob i'm trying to live in my own little bubble and here you come and throw in a heap of politics. I'm not going to even bother giving my opinion on whats written on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

http://thestory.ie/2012/08/29/european-commission-review-of-irelands-bailout-programme/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

page 52 onwards if people want to see where the country is heading,

the auld phrase of "bought times don't last, tough people do" comes to mind

Had a glimse through it. Tough times ahead alright. "Value-Based" property tax....pg 61. Funny how the same people that flooded the country with cheap money, are now the ones telling us to get our house in order. We are no longer a soverign state.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Had a glimse through it. Tough times ahead alright. "Value-Based" property tax....pg 61. Funny how the same people that flooded the country with cheap money, are now the ones telling us to get our house in order. We are no longer a soverign state.

just to add insult to injury

by Dr. Constantin Gurdgiev

http://trueeconomics.blogspot.ie/2012/08/2982012-some-facts-about-irish-average.html

the real headliner is

Weekly earnings in the private sector fell by 0.5% annually, compared with an increase of 2.8% in the public sector (including semi-state organisations) over the year, bringing, average weekly earnings in Q2 2012 to €611.66 and €918.99 respectively.

any one else have kids starting school, youngest lad started this morning:D:D peace and quiet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

any one else have kids starting school, youngest lad started this morning:D:D peace and quiet

No one step better. herself is back to the classroom. Thank god.

Only her 10th day back since Easter after a GAA injury :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Ok how much is a set of tractor weights

I finally sourced a set for a same tractor to suit my weight bar and i want to know the going rate. I know supply and demand aand check donedeal, this dealer (JD) has them at least 6months.

it 6 weights (i say there 45kg each).

Previously i saw 6 for sale for €350 in donegal (may have been in iceland)
    and €250 for 6 in Tullamore (sold within 20 mins of been on donedeal)

So any idea? €35 each €40 each or more?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

just to add insult to injury

by Dr. Constantin Gurdgiev

http://trueeconomics.blogspot.ie/2012/08/2982012-some-facts-about-irish-average.html

the real headliner is

Weekly earnings in the private sector fell by 0.5% annually, compared with an increase of 2.8% in the public sector (including semi-state organisations) over the year, bringing, average weekly earnings in Q2 2012 to €611.66 and €918.99 respectively.

I have had some experience working in the public service and farming -both at the 'foot-soldier' end. The one thing that I have learned (and God knows that that amount is very limited), is that you are always trying to make do just to get by.

I felt for my colleagues still in the public service over the past few years when I would read comments like yours that their wages had gone up in 2012, when I know how tough they are finding things having taken cuts of about 20% in this time, whilst taking on a plethora of new demands from 'Management'.

I find strong parallels when I hear urban commentators talk of our land wealth and 'free' money from Europe for CAPS, REPS etc so the latest move is now to look at our farm asset as a means to cut back on 3rd level grants and not whatever meagre income we make off the land.

We all know that there is a small core of top-brass in the public service who have always done alright, just as there are ranchers amongst us who have done well and always have done so.

We should stop poisoning attitude to other groups in this country as perception is a dangerous thing and I know plenty of dispirited workers (many are our own sons and daughters) in the public service and believe me, we need them just as much as the country needs us as food producers. (Rant over :eek:)

@Whelan1, I do hope they have a great experience, it is so important at their age.

We also need enthusiastic teachers who will fire up their imagination, but by cutting new entrants salaries by €11,000 to those they work alongside is hardly the best way...and then tell them that the PS had a 2.8% rise last year! Be Happy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Jeepers the years are flying , thought it was only a couple of months ago that you had him in a buggy at the ploughing :)

of course you know when the nest is empty,

you can always start a fresh clutch ;)

nice dry morn here but chilly, some rain fell yesterday evening :eek:

• Advertisement

One went back Tuesday and one back Wednesday.. We decidd the youngest lass would have another year at Montasori as she's just four... Both love it and had a great time, it makes getting them out much handier..
    Herself took this week off to be at home to get them settled which is nice.

We had some rain yesterday evening around eight... I couldn't hear myself think it was so bad !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

just after seeing a 45 acre field of hay knocked today and spread out whats wrong with that you may ask well he forgot to pull all the ragworth and it was full of it,and this guy sells hay as a full time jod, he always supplied the boats out of waterford,god help anyone who buys it .

just after seeing a 45 acre field of hay knocked today and spread out whats wrong with that you may ask well he forgot to pull all the ragworth and it was full of it,and this guy sells hay as a full time jod, he always supplied the boats out of waterford,god help anyone who buys it .
    is it for silage or hay, cattle normally dont eat ragworth in hay they eat it in silage asit has been preserved.... its not as if he didnt have time to pick it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

HMMmmmm wonder are the boats of cattle gearing up again? I wonder what sort of money would they be buying plain fr bulls around 550 kg at..... it might put a floor in the market and keep these plain cattle away from factories here;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

One went back Tuesday and one back Wednesday.. We decidd the youngest lass would have another year at Montasori as she's just four... Both love it and had a great time, it makes getting them out much handier..

We had some rain yesterday evening around eight... I couldn't hear myself think it was so bad !
    my lad was only 4 in may but i chanced my arm and put his name down to see what would happen and he got in, he loved it so happy days

my lad was only 4 in may but i chanced my arm and put his name down to see what would happen and he got in, he loved it so happy days

Ahh.
    Truth be told the missus wanted to baby her for another year ;) and I can't complain about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Wonder if they'd take 2 19 month olds they've got worse since the other 2 went back to school

blue5000 wrote: »
    HMMmmmm wonder are the boats of cattle gearing up again? I wonder what sort of money would they be buying plain fr bulls around 550 kg at..... it might put a floor in the market and keep these plain cattle away from factories here;)

€100 with the weight below 400kgs is what I heard, not much good

snap, seen a guy mowing away happy out, was an impressive crop of ragwort I must say

Oh my.
    Our neighbours farm hangs in over ours so it's hard to miss what he's doing ( real drumlin country ).
    He's out topping a field of ragworth, it's great he gets it done before it seeds but I bought at this stage it would seed anyway when down?
    Anyway; he has about 20 sucklers on it as its a good dry field, presuming hell move them.
    How long will they stay toxic? I was always told three weeks but it would make me nervous.

Oh my.
    Our neighbours farm hangs in over ours so it's hard to miss what he's doing ( real drumlin country ).
    He's out topping a field of ragworth, it's great he gets it done before it seeds but I bought at this stage it would seed anyway when down?
    Anyway; he has about 20 sucklers on it as its a good dry field, presuming hell move them.
    How long will they stay toxic? I was always told three weeks but it would make me nervous.

usually not a problem as animal don't eat the dying vegetation of ragwort in a NORMAL year. I know of one case during the last very dry year of 2006 I think when the local Orgasimic farmer lost a couple of dozen animals that were so hungry due to the drought they eat decaying cut ragwort

• Advertisement

its only when the ragworth plant is dying that it is palatable, in hay it is dead so they leave it behind.... in silage its preserved so they eat it- i am the ragworth expert (unwillingly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Would it be doing it any good being tossed around by the haybob? Blessed that don't have any around here. I see there's a lovely picture of a field full of ragworth in the comic this week. It must be an especially big problem this year?

Safety supplement also this week. A lovely big full page pic of a John deere with a young lad up on it with what looks like an instructor, persumably getting a safety lesson....... and not a PTO guard in sight.......lovely. Probably taken off for hitch visibility like in a lot of cases, but still doesn't send out the right message for what's supposed to be a supplement on safety!!

Just reading my above post and started laughin'.... I'm a bit like the whingy fecker in the snickers ad that turns into Joan Collins! :D:D

On a positive note, off on my stag this weekend!! whoo hoo! Haven't been on the beer in weeks so 'interesting' times ahead! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

Muckit wrote: »
    Just reading my above post and started laughin'.... I'm a bit like the whingy fecker in the snickers ad that turns into Joan Collins! :D:D

On a positive note, off on my stag this weekend!! whoo hoo! Haven't been on the beer in weeks so 'interesting' times ahead! :D

Where you off to? I was up in Galway last weekend on one, dont think i'm 100% yet!!!! Dont worry about not been on the beer in weeks, it'll be all the small ones that'll get you:D

KCTK wrote: »
    Where you off to? I was up in Galway last weekend on one, dont think i'm 100% yet!!!! :D

This may sound a bit ridiculous, but I don't know!! I just gave the bro (bestman) a list of all the lads I would like to go on it and himself and the groomsman have organised it all....... well at least I hope they have!

All I know is I've been told to bring old clothes, so I hope it's carting or paintballing and not a trip to the mart!!! :D:D
    I'I have to let ye know after I get back....all going well!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

I'I have to let ye know after I get back....all going well![/QUOTE]

thats if you make it out alive..................handcuffs lampost etc :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

jerdee wrote: »
    I'I have to let ye know after I get back....all going well!

thats if you make it out alive..................handcuffs lampost etc :eek::eek::eek::eek:[/QUOTE]

THey might have one of those midgets planned also to handcuff you to for the weekend....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

does anyone know are the weanling sales started in macroom yet?

Still waiting on this "great" weather people are saying were having from Thursday onwards. It's wet and cold here again today, coat and hat weather!
    I'm hoping to turn out some calves over the weekend so some dry weather would be nice.
    Then there's the three weeks growth on the lawn :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭jfh

Still waiting on this "great" weather people are saying were having from Thursday onwards. It's wet and cold here again today, coat and hat weather!
    (
    patience, most of the schools aren't back till monday!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement