Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

whelan1 wrote: »
    sold 4 angus cross calves today , fine healthy calves , got a call from the person who bought them this evening to say one of the calves had done a runner:) now they live 20 miles from me , the calf in question is only a week old , last seen heading towards dublin... i posted the movement permits this evening.. they are after spending 4 hours looking for the calf , the calf is just off the cow
    i never knew them angus were wild:D the man will be looking for money back:p hopefully the calf will turn up what sort of money did they make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

this person has bought 18 so far off me this year... and knows once the calf leaves here it not my problem, they let it get away... i am going to ring bandon this morning just to clarify that they had signed the movement permit yesterday and that it is now their animal... i am charging 175 each - i could get more but they have bought so many off me i want to keep them happy

phew! they found the calf this evening... thank god.... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

anyone going to this dairy farm walk on tuesday in killimor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Finno59 wrote: »

hopefully if we get the slurry out to morro and monday

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

Finno59 wrote: »
    yes,wouldnt miss it!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

phew! they found the calf this evening... thank god.... :cool:
    How far did he get? :p

well she was a few miles up the road but turned and went back to a neighbours field.. think the guards saw her on the road ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Busy weekend
    Got up at 6 thursday and went on 4 hour trip and brought 10 heifer calves
    got up at 5 on friday and got a new baby son
    up at 7 saturday and dug out old hedging and trees in garden around 30 tractor trailer loads to surprise her and new arrival when they get home
    Long day again today cooking cleaning milking gardening feeding and farming
    tired now going to bed:o

• Advertisement

djmc wrote: »
    Busy weekend
    Got up at 6 thursday and went on 4 hour trip and brought 10 heifer calves
    got up at 5 on friday and got a new baby son
    up at 7 saturday and dug out old hedging and trees in garden around 30 tractor trailer loads to surprise her and new arrival when they get home
    Long day again today cooking cleaning milking gardening feeding and farming
    tired now going to bed:o
    congrats .... fun starts now:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Spent the day spraying rushes and some low furze. Had to make a decision on the weather, big grey clouds with rain written on them, went ahead and got away with it :D Tipping it down now...

johngalway wrote: »
    Spent the day spraying rushes and some low furze. Had to make a decision on the weather, big grey clouds with rain written on them, went ahead and got away with it :D Tipping it down now...
    ya making that decision on the weather friday morning to spray docks and nettles or not took the chance put on two knapsack sprayer fulls and two hours later it rained all day.i see today it worked looks like i am going to get a great kill:D

That's the second day I've gotten away with it lately, so I reckon I'll hold off now until this supposed good weather arrives mid week. Plenty other jobs to be done in the mean time :)

i love spraying weeds ;) love to see them dying a day or 2 after spraying .. off now to spray some more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

i love spraying weeds ;) love to see them dying a day or 2 after spraying .. off now to spray some more

God, you're a monster:D I like it:cool:

• Advertisement

God, you're a monster:D I like it:cool:
    :D jesus the thistles are unreal, cant wait ti see them dying... i did 3 knapsacks this morning... nice day here

does anyone know were i could get a molasses pto pump.

is that the tanker complete with the pump or just the pump? victor whyte in dromiskin county louth used to have 100's of these, my oh works for him now drawing gutters so i could ask him . i know there are none of the actual tankers left there.

is that the tanker complete with the pump or just the pump? victor whyte in dromiskin county louth used to have 100's of these, my oh works for him now drawing gutters so i could ask him . i know there are none of the actual tankers left there.
    no its just the pump thanks.

does anyone know were i could get a molasses pto pump.
    spoke with victor whyte.... a company called farm fabrications from castlebellingham used to make them , mc kweon was the name of the man , he will see if he knows of any around , is it just parts you want or a complete pump?

• Advertisement

bloody crow after coming down the chimney again ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

havent lit the sitting room fire in weeks cos they built a nest in it .I hear the chicks going on now so hopefully they will fly the nest shortly . They can get their b + b elsewhere next year ill have a cowl to keep them at bay

moy83 wrote: »
    havent lit the sitting room fire in weeks cos they built a nest in it .I hear the chicks going on now so hopefully they will fly the nest shortly . They can get their b + b elsewhere next year ill have a cowl to keep them at bay
    we have a mesh thingy over it but it seems to have moved:mad:

wonder would smoked crow taste nice :D

wonder would smoked crow taste nice :D
    i hate crows and also this evening we had bloody flies in the milking parlour, the first evening this year

spoke with victor whyte.... a company called farm fabrications from castlebellingham used to make them , mc kweon was the name of the man , he will see if he knows of any around , is it just parts you want or a complete pump?
    no just the complete pto pump thanks.

another crow in living room this morning.... i have lit the fire and will send oh up on the roof later:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

have seen a cs130 pulling a fusion 2 just outside galway, have seen it a few times, last year as well. would have thought you would need a bigger machine to drive fusion??

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭westlander

have seen a cs130 pulling a fusion 2 just outside galway, have seen it a few times, last year as well. would have thought you would need a bigger machine to drive fusion??

Theres a guy in Cork that uses a TM120 on a fusion. They must have the pump turned up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hER3-g4OZDs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The dad has an Izuzu Trooper for the farm.
    Says they have a terrible name and hard to sell on but very happy with it.

But reckons there are corrosion issues with the chassis caused by salt air. Was bought off a lad in Wexford so by the coast.

Any posters here by the sea? Is that common that the salt in sea air causes damage?
    I'm in the mid west and just never realy thought about this at all

• Advertisement

a neighbour had the same issue with a trooper he bought from the north , they use alot of salt on the road and the underneath was badly corroded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

a neighbour had the same issue with a trooper he bought from the north , they use alot of salt on the road and the underneath was badly corroded

The Aunt had the same issue with a Fiat 126, but she still moved six kids and the odd calf around in it for yonks

The Aunt had the same issue with a Fiat 126, but she still moved six kids and the odd calf around in it for yonks
    we where just making a comment today when i was bringing my son to a school football game when we where young you would have 7 or 8 other kids in the car with you going to a school game now its all seatbelts etc and a lot more hassle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

we where just making a comment today when i was bringing my son to a school football game when we where young you would have 7 or 8 other kids in the car with you going to a school game now its all seatbelts etc and a lot more hassle

two cars for the under 12 gaa teams, if I remember correctly

Old fella moved 15 kids in a beetle once ages 18 months to 10 years

great excitement here we got a lend of an incubator 3 weeks ago and we put eggs in it , we have 10 chicks so far and 2 more on their way out, happy days... we also have 6 duck eggs in it which will take longer, amazing to think that out of an egg comes the chick !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

great excitement here we got a lend of an incubator 3 weeks ago and we put eggs in it , we have 10 chicks so far and 2 more on their way out, happy days... we also have 6 duck eggs in it which will take longer, amazing to think that out of an egg comes the chick !

My mother in law hatched 2 turkey eggs under a small hen last year and both hatched. She minded them for a couple of months until they got too big for her and they started taking bullying her and taking her food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

reilig wrote: »
    My mother in law hatched 2 turkey eggs under a small hen last year and both hatched. She minded them for a couple of months until they got too big for her and they started taking bullying her and taking her food.

Like humans:eek:

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Like humans:eek:
    the 10 we have hatched so far are 5 marons(which are black) and the others are hyliners , last night all the black ones where all lying together and the white ones where all over in the other corner :rolleyes:

the 10 we have hatched so far are 5 marons(which are black) and the others are hyliners , last night all the black ones where all lying together and the white ones where all over in the other corner :rolleyes:
    You have hatched a bunch of racist chickens there . :D

• Advertisement

You have hatched a bunch of racist chickens there . :D
    yup , how do you reply to a 3 year old when they ask why they aren't together?

yup , how do you reply to a 3 year old when they ask why they aren't together?

They're getting ready for a game of hurling/football, and look, they both have their own strips too :D

another question. we put the eggs in 21 days ago , the ones that havent hatched by now do we assume they are not going to hatch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

another question. we put the eggs in 21 days ago , the ones that havent hatched by now do we assume they are not going to hatch?

Those ones make exceptionally good omelettes.:D You have both ateing and drinking in them.:cool: First thing in the morning after a feed of drink, the night before. You would foot ten hoppers of turf in a hour.

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Those ones make exceptionally good omelettes.:D You have both ateing and drinking in them.:cool: First thing in the morning after a feed of drink, the night before. You would foot ten hoppers of turf in a hour.
    :D lol at that one, might crack one open tomorrow just to see what its like , will let ye know

throw in another splash of water into the incubator in case the last few eggs have dried out (the water will soften the shell and make it easier for the chick to pick its way out) and give them two or three days . You might be lucky and a few more might pop out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭stanflt

was looking forward to a few beers in the sun with the oh this evening-didnt happen, was clipping the cows tails(herds comp next week) when i dropped the clippers with only 14left to do-took an hour to fix it and just as i was washing up i noticed the slats were full up. spent an hour and a half pumping into the overground tank. got home at 8.30 wrecked tired and alls the oh was going on about was her summer holidays-lucky teachers is all i say

throw in another splash of water into the incubator in case the last few eggs have dried out (the water will soften the shell and make it easier for the chick to pick its way out) and give them two or three days . You might be lucky and a few more might pop out
    got 2 more this morning:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

got 2 more this morning:)
    Torabora will be dissappointed so:D

No hangover cure

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

we opened 4 of the eggs just there, rotten stuff:eek: no chicks in them ... there are still 6 duck eggs and 6 hen eggs in there

the duck eggs take 28 days i think

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement