Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Miley2

Got the heifers scanned today. 18 from 19 in calf. Delighted as i have a new young bull and its been a rough few months on them.
    The vet was saying numbers are way done this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

we scanned 13 replacements today. four empty. whats the best option for getting rid of these. have 2 cull cows to go aswell. all replacements weighing between 500-700 kgs and 1 cull 600 and another around 750. dont really want to meal on these. any opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Miley2 wrote: »
    Got the heifers scanned today. 18 from 19 in calf. Delighted as i have a new young bull and its been a rough few months on them.
    The vet was saying numbers are way done this year

bet you have your nutrition spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Back....yet again:D

I am sick of hospitals!! I was fasting a day and needed painkillers but was off water as well so needed it in put throughthe cannula in my arm. Bloody nurse brings back a bottle of clear liquid about the size of a betamox bottle and attaches me to it and put it on the trolley yoke. Other half next to me leans over and whispers... (Looks like Magnesium....have you Tetany?)
    I have now the proud honour of being told to leave a ward to stop laughing.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Back....yet again:D

I am sick of hospitals!! I was fasting a day and needed painkillers but was off water as well so needed it in put throughthe cannula in my arm. Bloody nurse brings back a bottle of clear liquid about the size of a betamox bottle and attaches me to it and put it on the trolley yoke. Other half next to me leans over and whispers... (Looks like Magnesium....have you Tetany?)
    I have now the proud honour of being told to leave a ward to stop laughing.:o

Hi
    Looks like we wont be seeing you tomorrow.
    Hope they let you ou soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

thetangler wrote: »
    Hi
    Looks like we wont be seeing you tomorrow.
    Hope they let you ou soon

Pfft, I'll be there! See ya tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Muckit wrote: »
    Just reading my above post and started laughin'.... I'm a bit like the whingy fecker in the snickers ad that turns into Joan Collins! :D:D

On a positive note, off on my stag this weekend!! whoo hoo! Haven't been on the beer in weeks so 'interesting' times ahead! :D
    Have a good 'un Muckit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

simx wrote: »
    does anyone know are the weanling sales started in macroom yet?
    hi simx the sales for the weanlings have been on for the last two months. They had the Autumn show and sale there last saturday forthnight. There is a very good trade for all types of bulls especially the heavier ones, but tough trade for the heifers. The lighter the worse they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

9 Autumn calved weinling heifers for the mart this morning. 4 BB and 5 CH. 300 - 350kg. Being extra careful this year to ensure that none are in calf as I got caught last year with one. Got all scanned yesterday and they are empty. Hopefully the prices will be good. All should be suitable for export!

• Advertisement

reilig wrote: »
    9 Autumn calved weinling heifers for the mart this morning. 4 BB and 5 CH. 300 - 350kg. Being extra careful this year to ensure that none are in calf as I got caught last year with one. Got all scanned yesterday and they are empty. Hopefully the prices will be good. All should be suitable for export!
    May they be lucky for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

best of luck ,tell us how you got on later,what mart are you going too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

hi simx the sales for the weanlings have been on for the last two months. They had the Autumn show and sale there last saturday forthnight. There is a very good trade for all types of bulls especially the heavier ones, but tough trade for the heifers. The lighter the worse they are.

thanks for that,what are the likes of 300 kgs ch/lim heifers making?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

thanks for that,what are the likes of 300 kgs ch/lim heifers making?

400 with the weight depending on quality , saw 2 lighter whites but straight good calves 234kg only making 610

Bodacious wrote: »
    400 with the weight depending on quality , saw 2 lighter whites but straight good calves 234kg only making 610

prices for weanlings have picked up, more so the heifers and most are making double their weight and a good bit more if they are choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Bodacious wrote: »

prices for weanlings have picked up, more so the heifers and most are making double their weight and a good bit more if they are choice

Good man Bob,

Bearer of good news.. I'll be selling first week of October , those prices I quoted were only lastnight though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

Good luck with them. Sold two autumn heifers myself last week.
    Lim @ 320 kg €765. Char @ 300 kg €735. To be honest I was bit disappointed.
    But at same time, glad to see them out the gate with fodder situation. This year, weight is king when selling weanlings. Good forward stock selling well. Lighter stock well back.
    I have weaned all spring calves, big and small. On the best grass and piling in meal. Want to push hard till end Oct and head for the gate with them before winter. SFP money will be in pockets by then, so trade might pick up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cow man

Good luck with them. Sold two autumn heifers myself last week.
    Lim @ 320 kg €765. Char @ 300 kg €735. To be honest I was bit disappointed.
    QUOTE]
    Bit light for their age ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

are people noticing that the land is completely washed looking like there is no fertilty in it.its very difficult to get grass building up this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

keep going wrote: »
    are people noticing that the land is completely washed looking like there is no fertilty in it.its very difficult to get grass building up this year.

yeas very badly affected here

keep going wrote: »

yeas very badly affected here

Plenty P&K will need to be spread if we got a dry spell in the autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

wonder will there be any extension of the fertiliser and slurry spreading deadlines

internet weather says sun is bating down outside, reality it looks like its going to mill it down again. going to put sprayer on and fill with water in anticipation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

How did it go for you Reilig? hope to head to carnaross on tuesday with sept oct born bulls. might just bring a couple to test the water. But if things seem to be on the up with the good forcast might just load them all up!

Clear blue sky here. Hoping to go back to 24hr grazing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Lovely morning in Cork. We have had a few very good days now - yesterday was a real summers day, proper warm.
    The amount of grain that's been cut around me the past 2 days is unreal. Places are really drying up, hope it stays for a while now... :)

How did it go for you Reilig? hope to head to carnaross on tuesday with sept oct born bulls. might just bring a couple to test the water. But if things seem to be on the up with the good forcast might just load them all up!

I broke no records :(

My BB heifers were 360 - 380kg and made €600 with their weight.
    My CH heifers were 340 to 360kg and made just over €2 per kg.
    Brought 4 bulls as well:
    1 CH was 430kg and made €1090
    1 CH was 360kg and made €1040 (youngest and best calf I had)
    1 BB was 390kg and made €1005
    1 LM was 370kg and made €890.

Prices were slightly improved on the week before, but I was still down €100 per head on last year - and remember that this time last year the price increase had not hit, prices were ordinary and didn't rise until mid october 2011.

Calves aren't weighing as well either - I guess its because of all of the rain.

BB bulls or heifers (If they are decent quality) will make €500 to €600 with their weight.
    Continental bulls or heifers suitable for export will have no problem making over €2 per kg.
    Continental bulls or heifers not suitable for export are just under €2 per kg.
    Bucket fed weinlings are a disaster - saw several hereford cross and angus cross heifers that were over 12 months old and weighed 280 - 320 kg and none crossed €500, in fact the majority were brought home after failing to cross €450.

Exporters/dealers put the floor in the prices. There were very few farmers buying. Some of the exporters got together and went around each pen of cattle before the mart started to decide who got what. Then at the sales ring they all stood together!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Great drying yesterday. Baled 5 acres yesterday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Bucket fed weinlings are a disaster - saw several hereford cross and angus cross heifers that were over 12 months old and weighed 280 - 320 kg and none crossed €500, in fact the majority were brought home after failing to cross €450.

Jebus that's not great... were they any way good looking stock or was it just that nobody wanted them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

....Exporters/dealers put the floor in the prices. There were very few farmers buying. Some of the exporters got together and went around each pen of cattle before the mart started to decide who got what. Then at the sales ring they all stood together!....

There's only one way to deal with that - have someone you know bidding on your cattle. Two can play that game.
    I remember a few years back I wanted a good bull weanling to put with the last few cows I had to bull. I bidded on this good BB. I didn't buy him, but I drove up the price with some other bidder. The farmer saw me bidding from the sellers box and he came up to me afterwards. He was amazed at the price he got. It really got me thinking about how handy these dealers were picking up good cattle at cheap prices for export. Once the farmer is out of the bidding, the small group of exporters can divide things up easily between them.

bbam wrote: »
    Jebus that's not great... were they any way good looking stock or was it just that nobody wanted them..

They looked ok. It was just that there were very few farmers buying.

• Advertisement

They looked ok. It was just that there were very few farmers buying.

Thanks..
    We've sold out already and by the looks of it just in time too..
    Maybe when the SFP comes out it will be better..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

pakalasa wrote: »
    There's only one way to deal with that - have someone you know bidding on your cattle. Two can play that game.
    I remember a few years back I wanted a good bull weanling to put with the last few cows I had to bull. I bidded on this good BB. I didn't buy him, but I drove up the price with some other bidder. The farmer saw me bidding from the sellers box and he came up to me afterwards. He was amazed at the price he got. It really got me thinking about how handy these dealers were picking up good cattle at cheap prices for export. Once the farmer is out of the bidding, the small group of exporters can divide things up easily between them.
    but this is what happens ever year at this time because there is enough for all of them,reilig great prices all the same.

Weaned a bunch of calves last week. Stuck the cows in the shed. Opened a bale of silage, saved in early July. Weather was bad, and got no wilt. Cut late evening, after one dry 24 hour period, but little or no sun. Baled 24 hours later, before the next deluge arrived.
    Was happy to see, it preserved very well. Good colour and no waste.

However, cows not too impressed, by the looks of things. Just don't seem to eat it with gusto when you put it under their heads. Lot of scratching around, on picking. Gets eaten, but I suspect it's bit on the sour side:( Anybody else seen this issue with this years silage:confused:

Weaned a bunch of calves last week. Stuck the cows in the shed. Opened a bale of silage, saved in early July. Weather was bad, and got no wilt. Cut late evening, after one dry 24 hour period, but little or no sun. Baled 24 hours later, before the next deluge arrived.

However, cows not too impressed, by the looks of things. Just don't seem to eat it with gusto when you put it under their heads. Lot of scratching around, on picking. Gets eaten, but I suspect it's bit on the sour side:( Anybody else seen this issue with this years silage:confused:

Opened bales last week for weined cows that was baled in mid july, it was baled wet enough. Cows went mad for it. The smell off it would knock you down and its very hard to get it off the hands :D

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Is it gone too late in the year for topping do ye think? Have a few paddocks that should be done and its looking as if ground conditions will be ok this week. Im a bit worried about slowing down any re-growth that may be on it by topping though

Yep.
    Was talking to a fella last week and he had tried the cows with a bale made in July, was down in the rain for a few days before baling. He said it looked grand but smelled sour, cows didn't eat it either. He's worried about the rest.
    Maybe it was too soon to open it, 5-6 weeks?

bbam wrote: »
    Yep.
    Was talking to a fella last week and he had tried the cows with a bale made in July, was down in the rain for a few days before baling. He said it looked grand but smelled sour, cows didn't eat it either. He's worried about the rest.
    Maybe it was too soon to open it, 5-6 weeks?

Mine does not smell bad at all, but still cows are not to mad about it. I guess, they are going to have to get used to it, cause that's what I have.
    I'm going to get it tested, just to satisfy my curiosity, and figure out what I should supplement it with when winter housing time comes around.
    Anybody, care to suggest a good lab to get the test done?
    I'm not in any way involved with Teagasc.

http://www.afbini.gov.uk/index/services/services-diagnostic-and-analytical/forage-analysis.htm

Our Teagasc uses these guys in Northern ireland. I think my planner quoted €15 per sample the other day.

You can go to them direct! If its pit silage you need 2 samples. If its bales, you need samples from at least 4 bales.

Exporters/dealers put the floor in the prices. There were very few farmers buying. Some of the exporters got together and went around each pen of cattle before the mart started to decide who got what. Then at the sales ring they all stood together!

couple of the Exporters standing on each others toes down these parts and are hammering each other on prices. prices were about 150 over current market IMV. one of the lads bought 80% of the calves at a crazy price at sale last week. More power to him. Speaking to one exporter that is in it to make a living;) said it not worth his while shipping at the moment as the money just isn't in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Hope these parts you're refering to Bob include Kilmallock, hoping to have a few weanlings at the show and sale next week;)

couple of the Exporters standing on each others toes down these parts and are hammering each other on prices. prices were about 150 over current market IMV. one of the lads bought 80% of the calves at a crazy price at sale last week. More power to him. Speaking to one exporter that is in it to make a living;) said it not worth his while shipping at the moment as the money just isn't in it.

The rumour around here is that a lot of the heifers are being shipped to the UK where there is a shortage of breeding cattle. There are price differences of between €400 and €500 between there and here. Strong sterling is helping too! This is why heifer prices are almost up on a par with bull prices.

what are cull cow prices like in the marts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

whelan1 wrote: »
    not sure have 10-15 to go in a months time meself, id reckon they cant be great with the price of meal:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭stanflt

sent 5 to the factory on friday-straight out of the parlour

top price of 997 3euro kg
    bottom price 735 only got 2.36/kg.

avg 842.17 after deductions which were nearly 50euro a head:mad:

stanflt wrote: »

was that duleek or dunbia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

were they empty or just incalf?

right , just got a call from a lad who bought culls off me in the spring looking for more- saves me a trip to mart- so heres the question , what do i charge... only have 3 at the minute, 1 fat as fook around 800kg but in calf- was going to factory her, next one empty around 600kg ok looking and last one around 600kg but dodgy feet

kevthegaff wrote: »
    were they empty or just incalf?

didnt calve this season and were empty- some were in milk 460days.

i keep the empties till they drop below 20litres a day- usually 400days or so

was that duleek or dunbia?

duleek

duleek
    my husband is just gone in the lorry to collect a load of cattle in tipperary for the factory in duleek, last week it was kilkenny he got a load from for them, seems a long way to be going for catlle:confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement