Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

was working for a lad who is sending 90% of his cattle to donegal. being picked up and reckoned he was getting far better prices. finishes a lot and actually passes the factory in ballyjamesduff on his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

just do it wrote: »
    Clear blue sky here. Hoping to go back to 24hr grazing :)
    Spoke too soon, cows back in. And they ran back in :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

i go to meadow meets rathdowney, find them pretty good so far:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

kevthegaff wrote: »
    i go to meadow meets rathdowney, find them pretty good so far:)
    Do you still have to wait a week for a cheque there?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

blue5000 wrote: »
    Do you still have to wait a week for a cheque there?
    ya it alwats seems to take awhile there:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Is anyone else having a lot of cows breaking at 5-6 weeks? Second PB Lm in heat there this morning. Not for lack of a lick bucket either:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Is anyone else having a lot of cows breaking at 5-6 weeks? Second PB Lm in heat there this morning. Not for lack of a lick bucket either:confused:

Talk round here is that there are huge numbers of sucker cows empty this year. I've hears of up to 50% of some suckler herds being idle. Not sure if this is being seen in dairy herds too.
    Out vet was saying that the effects of this summer haven't been seen yet , she reckoned the spring will tell the tale with high cow and calf mortality rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Yes

Bad year, even had one scanned incalf at 42 days and bulling at 59!

I had a great year last year at Ai all cows inseminated in 1 week= record, watched them tight , 1 broke on 3 weeks then held but no gig out of 2 particular cows yet on six weeks both broke, they kept then like but they both definitely had some sort of pregnancy at 3 weeks as no movement whatsoever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Had a milker yesterday that was due to calve jan/feb and another a couple of weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

We did with all-trace bullets when letting them out last spring. We had significantly less repeats this year compared to other years. Have 1 PB Lim that repeated, but she had a hard calving so its probably to be expected.

• Advertisement

reilig wrote: »
    We did with all-trace bullets when letting them out last spring. We had significantly less repeats this year compared to other years. Have 1 PB Lim that repeated, but she had a hard calving so its probably to be expected.

To be fair to the cow, this lass was sectioned, but we have had a few others break at the 5 week mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

INot for lack of a lick bucket either:confused:

in years like the present one a couple of pounds of a high energy ration/nut is often of benefit, one extra calf or even earlier calvings more than offset the cost

(good to see you back in action BTW)

snowman707 wrote: »
    INot for lack of a lick bucket either:confused:

in years like the present one a couple of pounds of a high energy ration/nut is often of benefit, one extra calf or even earlier calvings more than offset the cost

(good to see you back in action BTW)
    Agree with this point. I've been putting the cows in at night for around the last fortnight and giving them a lb of nuts each. The cost is justified in my opinion as it's saving a lot of poaching, allowing easy creep feeding of calves and getting them used to being separated, and warding off grass tetany which is a serious concern at this time of year and especially given the weather.

I agree Snowman & Justdoit, but our cattle are a bit overdone at the minute so trying to cut back on their high ration. They have good grass cover and changed fairly regular with the lick, two different ones with them.

Edit- Thanks Snow, good to be out of the f**king place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

as i said before, energy is going to be the big problem in all cows this autumn/winter, with probable bad silage they will need energy to prevent problems at and after calving

I got two bags of weanling ration at the weekend and think it's off. Anyone else experience this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Hay_man

I got two bags of weanling ration at the weekend and think it's off. Anyone else experience this?

Bulk Bags or 25KG bags?

if it was the 25kg bags I'd probably cut my loss, Bulk bags would be different story though,

What makes you think it's gone off, does the label not have a best before date on it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

I bought 4 25kg bags of Lakelands beefnuts to keep me goin before the delivery arrived two weeks ago , and the nuts were heating inside the bags . And were a greyish colour with a sour smell of them when opened . Are the cereals being processed into the nuts at too high moisture levels???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

just back from carnaross. brought out just 2 of the heaviest lads. serious trade for heavy cattle. Our 2 did as follows 13/10/11 495 kgs by STQ €1240 and 31/8/11 465kgs twin by KYR €1240 they were good square cattle but not exactly pushin out massive back ends. Lighter cattle are through the floor saw a fella from nearby with plainish charolais bulls 300 - 350 kgs took as little as €550 for them:eek:

• Advertisement

Richk2012 wrote: »
    And were a greyish colour with a sour smell of them when opened.
    Yeah that's the same as mine. I'll ring my supplier in the morning to see what he has to say about them. It will be a tough winter if the quality of meal is also affected, never mind the price :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Yeah that's the same as mine. I'll ring my supplier in the morning to see what he has to say about them. It will be a tough winter if the quality of meal is also affected, never mind the price :rolleyes:

Let me know the excuses ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Was at the young farmer of the future awards last night. Great to talk to lads that are so possitive about farming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Was at the young farmer of the future awards last night. Great to talk to lads that are so possitive about farming.

who and from where got the honors this year?

Dermot O’Connor from Shanagolden, Co. Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭stanflt

how did ardcath macra do. did he make the final six. hes a great example of the future of irish farmers

• Advertisement

stanflt wrote: »
    how did ardcath macra do. did he make the final six. hes a great example of the future of irish farmers

and one very nice lad too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭stanflt

it must be his blood:)

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Let me know the excuses ;)
    No excuses, replaced the 2 bags. The pallet was off so he had it replaced by the supplier. One of the advantages of buying off the small local guy:).

Macra article on the young farmer of the year awards 2012.

For a lad from the east of the county ;)

No he didnt make the final 6. I was very supprised to be honest but then I dont knbow what the other lads were like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Dermot O’Connor from Shanagolden, Co. Limerick

Strange

"Dermot becomes the third Limerick winner of the competition after Michael Reidy in 2002 and John Macnamara in 2005."

My own opinion about Limerick farmers is very different from what could be perceived from reading the above

Strange

"Dermot becomes the third Limerick winner of the competition after Michael Reidy in 2002 and John Macnamara in 2005."

My own opinion about Limerick farmers is very different from what could be perceived from reading the above

sure they'd stab u if u turned ur back bob:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Dozer1

About time you updated what county you're from BOB so we could have have an idea of where the opinion is from;)

Limerick guys would starve if they had to farm some of the land in their neighboring county men thrive on. Most of the successful Limerick farmers originated from outside the county

was there a flier in the Farmers Journal for nominations for this award. For the laugh I went through the categories with one of the lads here and marker ourselves. he managed a score of 55 out of a 100!:D and I got under 50:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Dozer1

So you're still not sure what county your're from so? or just embarrassed by it....

There's bad land in every county I'm from west Limerick and there are plenty fellas doing there best to keep their farms going on very difficult ground, and no the comic won't be nominating any of them for awards but they're still producing good cattle same as any other countymen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

someone just said to me they could do with some rain ffs:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

point them out to me so I can give them a slap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Does anybody actually care about these kind of awards??

Seems like a load of rubbish to me

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Does anybody actually care about these kind of awards??

Seems like a load of rubbish to me

snap, say if I inherited a pile of land and money Im sure I could be a serious farmer, I would have guys left right and centre having the place looking like Coolmore, bit more stud railing and I will enter next years beauty pageant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

whelan1 wrote: »
    someone just said to me they could do with some rain ffs:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Was it a fireman in the south of Spain:)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

pakalasa wrote: »
    Some fine weather on the way folks;
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/avnpanel1.html]..

I Posted this on 29/8/12, 9 days ago. It really is a very good site for predicting the weather a week and more in advance.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

took three to the mart today.
    one first calved cow, not back in calf 620kg 1220 nice square animal
    two year old heifer 520kg 1065 cost me 1125 last january
    two and a half year old, that calved a dead calf last month, 520kg took her home at 890. paid 1400 springing.

1chippy wrote: »
    two and a half year old, that calved a dead calf last month, 520kg took her home at 890. paid 1400 springing.
    Ouch!

1chippy wrote: »

thats the run of cattle prices at the moment.one animal I think I will never buy again is a springer. Had absolutely no luck with bought in heifers and cows that calved this year.

snap, say if I inherited a pile of land and money Im sure I could be a serious farmer, I would have guys left right and centre having the place looking like Coolmore, bit more stud railing and I will enter next years beauty pageant

its all well and good having a nice farm yard but if you dont know your net margin from your gross profit or have a well thought out 5 year plan your stud railing will win no prizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Ya, it bugs me when I hear people outside of farming commenting that such and such a farmer is a Good Farmer because he has the place looking well with cut stone walls etc. We all know the money is earned outside of the normal day to day farming.

Is the comic incorrect with a couple of prices this week on a certain page or are the pics off too.....:confused:

Is the comic incorrect with a couple of prices this week on a certain page or are the pics off too.....:confused:

no I would say they are right, had a quick scan last night and looked about general if a little on the cheap side given current market conditions

its all well and good having a nice farm yard but if you dont know your net margin from your gross profit or have a well thought out 5 year plan your stud railing will win no prizes.

bollocks, if you started with a heap of money then net profit etc will not make a jot of difference. The best guys around here just dragging along, spend everything they make from farming back into improving the place.

Just one other thing is I don't get this 5 year plan thing people are always on about. Plans are usually miles from reality when the time comes. You have to move with the flow in ag, five years is too long to have a set plan. If the 100ac farm comes up for rent next door and it wasn't included in your 5 year plan you have to just go for it, weather dictates allot of how farming pans out. Only plan type things I ever work out is worst case scenarios for my business bank manager. banks love these

Im just jealous of this guy;), well done anyway to him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I've worked in many industries and yes plans more often than not deviate as time goes on.
    However, I would still say that the best most successful business I've seen have PLANS in place.
    The process of creating a plan is near as important as the plan. It makes you sit down, look at where you are, take stock and allows you to see the bigger picture rather than the day to day picture, they can be very different.
    Creating a plan is important but you need to review it, it will deviate but you'll only know by reviewing the plan against the actual, if it's good change then you have a new plan, if it looks bad then get back to the plan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement