Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

just thinking, the haulage company of the year for 2011 Target Express were completely insolvent within 6 months. So what was said earlier about profit etc goes out the window. Awards are grand but more often than not, knowing the right people and saying the right things are whats needed to get them, but obviously you need to be a a good standard aswell. Reading the piece in the IFJ it seems like you have to push the grass angle and proclaim about NZ practices to collect the gooddies. Right I am starting to sound bitter if I post anymore on the subject. :D

Farming plans would have to be so loose I just don't see much point. How can you plan say something as simple as SFP post 2014 if you rent allot of land. For us boys renting we may have no acres available in 2014 the way the proposals are at the minute. I couldn't say if I will have a 100cattle or 500 cattle in 5 years due to prices/health issues/feed prices/land availability there are just too many variables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

I have a very open ended plan set up for the next three years. I find its better not to have it set in stone as bob says different opportunities and difficulties arise on a daily basis. Like this year how many men are going to have to sell the stock they were going to finish. the cheque that was going to come in next spring. instead they will have to accept what they can now and set up a completly new plan for next year. farming is more efficient if no opportunity is put aside, you just have to adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Good loser

Remember I got a managment plan for my forestry - which has a small bit of oak.
    The plan gave a clearfell date for it in 2125. Didn't specify the month!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

funny-plan-plan-a-quote-stay-cool-Favim.com-276967_large.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Headin for Croke Park in the morning. We'll be up against it but you never know! Put out a few extra round bales today just in case:)

• Advertisement

Best of luck, Jimmy. We'll all be shouting for ye here, in the Co. Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Headin for Croke Park in the morning. We'll be up against it but you never know! Put out a few extra round bales today just in case:)

There does not seem to be any issue with tickets. Just heard Kilkenny returned 3k tickets.

Best of luck to the lads:D 24 years is too long to wait:(

Might chance a few quid on them at 3/1!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

pakalasa wrote: »
    +1 jimmy, give'em welly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Last of the silage baled, wrapped and stacked. It was a tough day and a tough year. About 60 bales below what I think I'll need. Might supplement it with a load of straw - should have been some good quality feeding straw baled up this week.

Good on you Reilig. It was a good week alright and looking at MT Cranium's forecast today was potentially the last day to bale decent stuff for a while, particularly for us guys on the West coast!

• Advertisement

A coincidence or what?! I went to see our Intermediates play this afternoon and ending up sitting in front of my digger man. I had planned to do some digger work this summer (mainly drainage and a few bits and bobs) but due to the weather I never rang him. I'm meeting him Monday morning though to look at a few small jobs, namely putting a few bridges over drains.

I've a farm roadway leading to paddocks on half the farm and have found it to be a God-send with all this bad weather. If I get 3 drain crossings in next week, along with a bit of fencing, I'll have the whole place in paddocks. Each paddock will open onto the farm road which runs straight back to the shed. Well worth it in my opinion, the cattle get used to it very quickly and makes herding very easy. And that's important for a time-starved part-time farmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Us Offaly lads will row in behind ye as well;)

The very best of luck Galway.

Keep an eye out for Lar, he may just sprint out of the stand to try an mark Tommy again :D

just do it wrote: »

I've a farm roadway leading to paddocks on half the farm and have found it to be a God-send with all this bad weather. If I get 3 drain crossings in next week, along with a bit of fencing, I'll have the whole place in paddocks. Each paddock will open onto the farm road which runs straight back to the shed. Well worth it in my opinion, the cattle get used to it very quickly and makes herding very easy. And that's important for a time-starved part-time farmer.

Put in a farm roadway myself last winter and it was a godsend this summer. Money well spent. It gives access to paddocks with slurry and leaves the place very clean.

reilig wrote: »
    Put in a farm roadway myself last winter and it was a godsend this summer. Money well spent. It gives access to paddocks with slurry and leaves the place very clean.
    Did you put gravel down? Except for the first 50m from the shed mine are either clay or grass. The next bit will be across boggy land though so wondering what to do. I'm considering lifting of the peat, dig out the clay/gravel underneath, put back the top soil, and then put the clay/gravel back on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Have a few calves with what the vet thinks is BRSV, never had it before.. We treated ourselves for a few days but made little progress, had the vet out on Friday and she recommended Respichlor 15, and gave 2 a LA antibiotic.
    Really seeing the difference this morning feed, really bouncing back on their appetite.. The Respichlor is handy stuff, mix into the crunch..

Calves have access to outside and ventilated bedded shed with no draughts, sometimes stuff just comes... Vet was saying they are seeing alot of respitory illness in calves and weanlings..

bbam wrote: »
    Have a few calves with what the vet thinks is BRSV, never had it before.. We treated ourselves for a few days but made little progress, had the vet out on Friday and she recommended Respichlor 15, and gave 2 a LA antibiotic.
    Really seeing the difference this morning feed, really bouncing back on their appetite.. The Respichlor is handy stuff, mix into the crunch..

Calves have access to outside and ventilated bedded shed with no draughts, sometimes stuff just comes... Vet was saying they are seeing alot of respitory illness in calves and weanlings..

its called straight RSV fairly normal pneumonia. but it could also be Pi3 without having some tests done. I find Respichlor very good as its a constant amount of antibotic over a few days. Is it not time to start vaccinating for all the main strains of pneumonia. If it was an industry lead scheme it would result in a huge reduction of mortality across the national herd.

its called straight RSV fairly normal pneumonia. but it could also be Pi3 without having some tests done. I find Respichlor very good as its a constant amount of antibotic over a few days. Is it not time to start vaccinating for all the main strains of pneumonia. If it was an industry lead scheme it would result in a huge reduction of mortality across the national herd.

Yea we don't until now vaccinate for the like..
    And will probably talk to the vet about it again...

Anyone vaccinating calves for RSV, IBR and the like... What sort of regime is involved and what sort of costs?

Did you put gravel down? Except for the first 50m from the shed mine are either clay or grass. The next bit will be across boggy land though so wondering what to do. I'm considering lifting of the peat, dig out the clay/gravel underneath, put back the top soil, and then put the clay/gravel back on top.

Put down red rock - its the soft rock from the top of the quarry which can be just dug out. It comes in big enough pieces, but when the digger tracks across it, it breaks into smaller gravel sized pieces.

It cost Eur120 per 20 ton load. However, its not suitable for around a house as water run off from it is red and can cause staining of other stone or concrete. However its perfect for farm roadways.

I just dug out the topsoil (6 inches) and laid the road on top.

Put a membrane between the peat and the gravel. If you could - ask a road engineer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

reilig wrote: »
    Last of the silage baled, wrapped and stacked. It was a tough day and a tough year. About 60 bales below what I think I'll need. Might supplement it with a load of straw - should have been some good quality feeding straw baled up this week.

I got 60 bales of hay baled yesterday in perfect conditions. Had cut it 8 days earlier so was in super conditions. Bought my straw and collected it yesterday. So all set for winter now. Just need to clear all the remaining lambs now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

bbam wrote: »
    Yea we don't until now vaccinate for the like..
    And will probably talk to the vet about it again...

Anyone vaccinating calves for RSV, IBR and the like... What sort of regime is involved and what sort of costs?
    I use live vaccine (bovilis?). Up the nose every 6 months or intramuscular, but nasally has better/quicker antibodies. 3 euro a shot so 6 euro a year but i think it can be given once a year after the first 2 doses but must check back to be sure on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Good loser wrote: »

Put a membrane between the peat and the gravel. If you could - ask a road engineer.
    If its not carrying a huge weight you could put the membrane on top of the peat, sometimes your better off not interfering with boggy ground.

5live wrote: »
    I use live vaccine (bovilis?). Up the nose every 6 months or intramuscular, but nasally has better/quicker antibodies.

nasally isnt as effective but it is the preferred route if there is an outbreak as it provides a much faster cover. Definitely go intramuscular if you have no symptoms present

td5man wrote: »
    If its not carrying a huge weight you could put the membrane on top of the peat, sometimes your better off not interfering with boggy ground.
    Yeah I'm not sure about it myself to be honest. I'll talk with my digger man in the morning and see what he says. It maybe only a few stretches that needs a bit more than a grass roadway. And now that I think of it I know a dairy farmer who's farm is all on bogland - he's worth a call.

Yeah I'm not sure about it myself to be honest. I'll talk with my digger man in the morning and see what he says. It maybe only a few stretches that needs a bit more than a grass roadway. And now that I think of it I know a dairy farmer who's farm is all on bogland - he's worth a call.

Depth of peat matters too. An option is to peel back twice width of road and put gravel on gravel and peat on peat. The resulting peaty area may be a problem though.

Good loser wrote: »

Depth of peat matters too. An option is to peel back twice width of road and put gravel on gravel and peat on peat. The resulting peaty area may be a problem though.
    I'm considering it as I think the peat is only a foot deep. One or two scoops with the track machine will tell us that though ;)

On the way to work thismorning I passed two fields of silage waiting to be baled. I suppose 15acres, I know everybody can't get tied up in the dry weather but it's a shame to see it lying in the pouring rain, on heavy land too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Is it hard to get a decent fat score on belgian blues compared to other breeds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Hey bogman, can you tell me is bourvil in munster ai yet? checked their site there and no sign of him

• Advertisement

Track machine coming at the weekend. He thinks there are 2 pockets of gravel on the farm - I hope he's right :)

I saw beef steaks on special offer in Tesco yesterday. Two in a pack and total weight over 1.5 kgs. They were huge....

I saw beef steaks on special offer in Tesco yesterday. Two in a pack and total weight over 1.5 kgs. They were huge....

must have being specially packed for the Americans in town last week!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

must have being specially packed for the Americans in town last week!!!

I was in south carolina last november. Went in a resturaunt one evening. The tuesday special was a 60oz steak!!! Eat it all and you don't have to pay!!
    Sitting there picking at a bit of chicken and in comes three local police. Fellas with the big hats and brown uniforms. Two of them ordered the big one!!!! Polished it off no bother!!! Mind you, if they happened to sit on you, it would take a fair auld surgeon to put you back together again. -:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

One thing i can't get my head around is this limitation on the size of a cut of meat..... perhaps someone can enlighten me and my ignorance.

If a steak is too big.... am .... can a knife not be used to portion it?

Ya, I've often thought the same, but when you see a full steak, it has a certain shape. Cut it and it just doesn't look right. A bit like shoppers not wanting small blemishes on their fruit and veg, I guess.

60 oz - that's just greedy..:D

• Advertisement

Thanks to the rozzers for doing a couple of boys working for me on the 1.5 miles of Motorway we have to use to avoid the city out of a 60 mile journey, earlier this morning. Yes I know you shouldn't be on a motorway with a tractor but there isn't an alternative route especially as all you need is one scumbag to throw a match or fag butt for their loads to go up in smoke. Happened us 2 yrs ago with and artic of straw in Cork city. Nice easy targets

Couple of massive showers during the night, have taken around a inch of rain in the last 24hrs

...all you need is one scumbag to throw a match or fag butt for their loads to go up in smoke.
    I've seen this myself in Linerick city a few years back.

Couple of massive showers during the night, have taken around a inch of rain in the last 24hrs

Same here..
    Damn cold too... only 5c on the dial in the jeep when i was out feeding earlier and a strong breeze... Really Autumnal morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

what weight would you limit to casterating bulls? myself id say 350kgs be the max,was talking to a lad and he is going to attempt 430kgs,best of luck to him:D

simx wrote: »
    what weight would you limit to casterating bulls? myself id say 350kgs be the max,was talking to a lad and he is going to attempt 430kgs,best of luck to him:D

dont think your legally allowed to do over a certain age? that right?

I have done them allot heavier in the past but would not recommend it. is he going banding them or a bit of the bordisso or however you spell it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

I have done them allot heavier in the past but would not recommend it. is he going banding them or a bit of the bordisso or however you spell it

could be something like that about age now you mention it,hes going squeesing them,did you band them,yeah? why wouldnt you recommend it? what weight were they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

simx wrote: »
    made a mistake a few years back and missed a weanling and did not see him till followingmay.decided to leave him until near winter and we got the vet to castrate him. reckon he was about 650 kgs.vet gave him anastethic and big injection into the bag.he also gave him an epidural and something to stop swelling. castrated with burdizzo. you would not know by bullock next day. vet said his shoulders were sore for three weeks after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I think only a Vet can castrate over 6mths nowadays.

When there were no such regulations I squeezed some hardy bucks betimes.
    I was never a fan of leaving the jaws closed on them for too long, bang, bang, two rapid closures on each side and onto the next one.

Anyone else go to Marty Lenehan's Better Farm Walk in Sligo yesterday?

I thought it was a good display. It just goes to show how much extra revenue a little bit of attention to detail can yield. His gross margin has increased by almost €24000 in 3 years, his total weinling weights have increased by almost 12,000kg and his variable cost per cow has been significantly reduced.

He only ownes 16 acres. The rest is rented (135 acres). It gives me belief that, when he can do this on rented land, suckler farmers who own their own land and can adopt some of the practices being promoted here have a future.

Only 2 criticisms of the day:

1. Bringing us to the 16 acres that he owns - probably some of the finest quality land in the country was like serving take away chips on the family silver. It would be nice to see his "heavy land" in the flesh and see how it is managed.

2. The majority of farmers in this country are part-timers. Teagasc could have a far better attendance if they ran something like this on a saturday. In saying that, I'd estimate that there were over 500 people at the morning session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Ya, I've often thought the same, but when you see a full steak, it has a certain shape. Cut it and it just doesn't look right. A bit like shoppers not wanting small blemishes on their fruit and veg, I guess.

60 oz - that's just greedy..:D

I think spurs restuarant in Liffey valley have eat a 60oz in 60mins for free. (no affliation to mentioned establishment :rolleyes:)

I reckon after a day in the bog or a day at square bales you would ate 60oz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I reckon after a day in the bog or a day at square bales you would ate 60oz

I'd want a helluvalot of asparagus and beer to get all that down me and be well in the morning:eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

What the feck is 30 oz in a real money, gave up on that Imperial yoke in third class.

I knows a hundred weight is 50 Kgs as I loaded enough bags of fertilizer, but have no concept of what 30 Oz is

One imperial measure I do remember was the old Guinness bottle contained one dose for cattle

1Kg is 35 Oz, so 60oz is 1.7 Kgs. A lot of chewing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Question for the wesht cork boys.

I'm looking for a JCB man at short notice for this Saturday, have tried a few but no one's available.

Any suggestions/reccomendations near bandon send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Was at roscommon mart last nite,great trade for bulls with the top bulls over 400kg making from 700 to 1000e with the weight,heifers were generally making from 350-400 with their weight.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement