Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    The export trade is in full flow lads. I'd let go when ye can. Anything 4-500 kgs making 1350/1450.
    where are they makingthat money:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

leg wax wrote: »
    where are they makingthat money:confused:

;)

;)
    ah sure they are making more down here[ feck sake]why the secrets,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

The export trade is in full flow lads. I'd let go when ye can. Anything 4-500 kgs making 1350/1450.

Ok then. You can have the pick of mine for €1100. White Charolais bulls. Make yourself a nice margin!

Ok then. You can have the pick of mine for €1100. White Charolais bulls. Make yourself a nice margin!

Pity I'm not in the export trade Smokes! Seen one gorg heif make over €5.10 a kilo today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Pity I'm not in the export trade Smokes! Seen one gorg heif make over €5.10 a kilo today.

Is it true the farmer had to be helped out of the seller's box?.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

Ballymote today great export trade for the quality animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

these prices are great but just makes it more difficult when you loose one. lost a good 10 week old bb bull last night. had vet with him yesterday evening no temp little draw in one lung empty in himself and lookin miserable treated him for cocsidiosis and pnemonia covered him well or so we thought. stone dead this morning. post mortem showed he inhaled some of his stomach contents:eek: vet said sometimes he saw this when an animal would get stuck in a rut or ditch... but this lad was out in a grand flat field. Just one of those freeky things:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Muckit wrote: »
    Hi Reilig

Did he say was this colostrum from the birthing cow herself, was it from a local dairy farmer or was it one of those manufactured 'colostrums'?

He didn't say. He has a compact calving so I imagine he always has cow colostrum on hand.

Bizzum wrote: »
    Any idea ? Continental bull or what? Or is it AA the first time round?

Always either an angus or an easy calving Limousin for a heifer calving at 24 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

What a difference a dry day makes, finally got to spray 3 fields with rushes coming up. Got fertiliser spread. Weighed all the lambs and picked out lambs for the mart next week and dosed all the rest with cobalt and a worm dose . Got the ewes in and checked them before the ram goes out dosed them too. Tired now but think I might go for a few pints tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Miserable this morning. Heavy rain at 4 am and it's still raining since :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

just do it wrote: »
    i was coming home at half 2 and it wasnt raining but raining at half 6 when i got up:cool: edited to say i am going back to bed now , hurty head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

whelan1 wrote: »
    i was coming home at half 2 and it wasnt raining but raining at half 6 when i got up:cool: edited to say i am going back to bed now , hurty head

Ahhh
    Past the age where the candle can't be burned at both ends. It's fun to try every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

just do it wrote: »

ya last night kinda finished things for me, brought in a good few calves and cows this morning..better off in doors judging by poorly they are thriving outside i reckon

ya last night kinda finished things for me, brought in a good few calves and cows this morning..better off in doors judging by poorly they are thriving outside i reckon
    so will you be keeping them in or will you be selling them
    ?

leg wax wrote: »
    so will you be keeping them in or will you be selling them
    ?

would sell them but most are still pretty young, better hang on them another while, if weather improves they can go back out, not overly optimistic about that though

would sell them but most are still pretty young, better hang on them another while, if weather improves they can go back out, not overly optimistic about that though
    god thats hard going and hard very hard on the pocket how do you do it,can see myself getting to 1 nov unless it gets bad before i start to bring in some of them,my spring born bulls have done very well this year and out of the 12 of them 8 could be sold,the heifers have not done as well for me this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

First 2 cows calved this week . Both BB 3rd calvers .
    First cow calved tuesday morning to BBQ Belgian . Gave her plenty of time but she was struggling . Ended up helping her , and was a hard enough calving but not terrible . She had a great white bull calf with a huge pair of hips . He was a bit slow to get up and suck with the weight of him but hes flying now .

The second was a bad start to the calving . Her time wasnt up until this coming saturday but she started Thursday morning , 9 days early .. Got her in the crush to see what was going on and realised the calf was dead . She was carrying VDV Maserati BB . Let her back into the shed an gave her more time but she wasnt making progress and couldnt pass the head . A shocking rough calving , got caught at the shoulders and then the hips were disasterous . Bent the new calving jack with the goings on , but finally got her out . Couldnt believe the cow was back up within the hour ..

Have taken up some more springers that are carrying BB and put them in the shed this morning on a diet of straw and pre calving minerals hoping this will help . They were on a bare enough sod before this as i am always cautious of their diet within the last six weeks of pregnancy

• Advertisement

caseman wrote: »
    Ballymote today great export trade for the quality animals.

No doubt you saw the heifer I'm on about!
    pakalasa wrote: »
    Is it true the farmer had to be helped out of the seller's box?.....:D

Yup, but I got the bull code and breeding details so I'm happy with trying myself!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Ah Karen! Dont leave us hangin! Share the love (and the bull code)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mrs browns boys

she not the only one with that bull code but i wont share:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

What animal was seen and what breed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Richk2012 wrote: »
    First 2 cows calved this week . Both BB 3rd calvers .
    First cow calved tuesday morning to BBQ Belgian . Gave her plenty of time but she was struggling . Ended up helping her , and was a hard enough calving but not terrible . She had a great white bull calf with a huge pair of hips . He was a bit slow to get up and suck with the weight of him but hes flying now .

The second was a bad start to the calving . Her time wasnt up until this coming saturday but she started Thursday morning , 9 days early .. Got her in the crush to see what was going on and realised the calf was dead . She was carrying VDV Maserati BB . Let her back into the shed an gave her more time but she wasnt making progress and couldnt pass the head . A shocking rough calving , got caught at the shoulders and then the hips were disasterous . Bent the new calving jack with the goings on , but finally got her out . Couldnt believe the cow was back up within the hour ..

Have taken up some more springers that are carrying BB and put them in the shed this morning on a diet of straw and pre calving minerals hoping this will help . They were on a bare enough sod before this as i am always cautious of their diet within the last six weeks of pregnancy
    When feeding straw on its own, aren't you supposed to feed protein to help the digestion, otherwise they get constipated. That's what I always learnt, ... will google it now
    Found it
    ''Impaction, which can result in death, may occur when cattle are consuming low protein low digestible forages such as straw.
    Therefore, a high protein supplement feed such as whole cottonseed, corn gluten feed, distillers
    grains, wet brewers grains, and oilseed meals must be fed. Soybean or cottonseed meal can be
    mixed with a lower protein feed such as soybean hulls or corn in a mixture of two-thirds soybean
    hulls or corn to one-third oilseed meal. Supplements should be a minimum of 18% crude protein''

she not the only one with that bull code but i wont share:D:D

Me? I've only got the one bull code :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We oral drenched our calves yesterday, albidex or something close to that, they're about 12 weeks old and have been in/out on grass for about two weeks..

I was surprised that a few of them have wee coughs thismorning, presumably from dieing parasites in the lungs.. I know they have absolutely no immunity but its amazing how quickly they pick them up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Calf down with pneumonia this eve, brought him to the vet , said he was a goner. so going vaccinating everything tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

reckoned this was the last window of opportunity to reseed a feild I had sprayed of since july. Couldnt get the bseed barrow from the co-op and this perticular feild wouldnt lend itself well to large machines so getting a contractor wasnt an option so myself and the old lad headed off with 2 buckets and 6 stakes and broadcast by hand. Gave it another run with the chain harrow and now we play the waiting game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

1chippy wrote: »
    Calf down with pneumonia this eve, brought him to the vet , said he was a goner. so going vaccinating everything tomorrow.

its a bitch, but as usual a few animals have to be lost before most people decide to start vaccinating animals, thus making the whole job dearer. yes its expensive but there is a serious payback. started vaccinating a couple of weeks ago and must get more done this week.

rancher wrote: »
    When feeding straw on its own, aren't you supposed to feed protein to help the digestion, otherwise they get constipated. That's what I always learnt, ... will google it now
    Found it
    ''Impaction, which can result in death, may occur when cattle are consuming low protein low digestible forages such as straw.
    Therefore, a high protein supplement feed such as whole cottonseed, corn gluten feed, distillers
    grains, wet brewers grains, and oilseed meals must be fed. Soybean or cottonseed meal can be
    mixed with a lower protein feed such as soybean hulls or corn in a mixture of two-thirds soybean
    hulls or corn to one-third oilseed meal. Supplements should be a minimum of 18% crude protein''

Thanks for mentioning this rancher.
    I have never fed straw as a main diet for cattle before .
    Although last winter i was feeding springing heifers straw and haylage mixed. A bale of haylage followed by straw and back to haylage to aid in the calvings and it also it helped save feed . I noticed them last year getting tight in the dung an put it down to the straw they were eating but they were getting mollases and minerals , so i think the mollases aswell as the moist haylage kept them from constipating .
    The frustrating thing about this conversation here is , i called down to my vet Thursday evening to collect a p.o.m , and sat down and told him the scenario, and he advised me to house remaining cows which i think will have an issue calving and put them on a straw only diet . I asked would any other concentrates be required and he said just straw and minerals :mad: .

• Advertisement

Cows should be 'Restricted' in diet 6 weeks before calving. This should be more like ' going on a diet', so you have to be careful not to leave the cow seriously short of energy or an unbalanced diet.

Cows should be 'Restricted' in diet 6 weeks before calving. This should be more like ' going on a diet', so you have to be careful not to leave the cow seriously short of energy or an unbalanced diet.
    yes but cows should also be o a rising plane of nutrition prior to calving... have to get a balance also

whelan1 wrote: »
    yes but cows should also be o a rising plane of nutrition prior to calving... have to get a balance also
    Is that not more so for Dairy cows, where they have a sudden drain of energy, having to produce a huge amount of milk all of a sudden. Problems with milk fever etc.
    I don't know, but it might be different with suckler cows. The main thing with sucklers is to get that big calf out of her as handy as possible. Restricting the diet keeps condition of cow and calf. Milk fever is less of a problem and she only has to produce a drop of milk for the calf.

Is that not more so for Dairy cows, where they have a sudden drain of energy, having to produce a huge amount of milk all of a sudden. Problems with milk fever etc.
    I don't know, but it might be different with suckler cows. The main thing with sucklers is to get that big calf out of her as handy as possible. Restricting the diet keeps condition of cow and calf. Milk fever is less of a problem and she only has to produce a drop of milk for the calf.

From the better farm walk last week, the Vet speaker suggested that the most important thing for spring calving suckler cows is to have them in good enough condition before they go into the shed. He suggested that you introduce a restricted diet gradually from 10 weeks before calving and implement the diet in full from 6 weeks before calving. It is important that this diet has a restricted amount of protein as opposed to quantity. This is why hay or straw is ideal. He also highlighted the importance of giving minerals before calving to ensure calf health and that the cow will go back in calf soon after calving. On the farm that we were on, he gives 2 all trace bullets and 1 copper bullet 8 weeks before calving.

This morning I think I could turn into her :(

reilig wrote: »
    From the better farm walk last week, the Vet speaker suggested that the most important thing for spring calving suckler cows is to have them in good enough condition before they go into the shed. He suggested that you introduce a restricted diet gradually from 10 weeks before calving and implement the diet in full from 6 weeks before calving. It is important that this diet has a restricted amount of protein as opposed to quantity. This is why hay or straw is ideal. He also highlighted the importance of giving minerals before calving to ensure calf health and that the cow will go back in calf soon after calving. On the farm that we were on, he gives 2 all trace bullets and 1 copper bullet 8 weeks before calving.

I would be very slow taking a vets nutrition advice, I know when ever im talking to my vets and an issue crosses over into the feeding of the animals my vets quite rightly say thats not our field. there are plenty of "free" nutrition advice available either on the net or from vested reps. Correction nutrition during the year should mean the restrictive diets arent needed, as restrictive diets are not in the animals interest in the 6 weeks before calving. Its not my place to talk about nutrition for breeding animals so that all I have to say

anyone buy vexcoxan recently, it was 130 euros in kerry coop there at weekend :eek::eek: jebus it used to be 100 euros not so long ago, is 130 the norm now ?

anyone buy vexcoxan recently, it was 130 euros in kerry coop there at weekend :eek::eek: jebus it used to be 100 euros not so long ago, is 130 the norm now ?
    think it was €125 last week... i know its dear but well worth it for what it does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Thanks for mentioning this rancher.
    I have never fed straw as a main diet for cattle before .
    Although last winter i was feeding springing heifers straw and haylage mixed. A bale of haylage followed by straw and back to haylage to aid in the calvings and it also it helped save feed . I noticed them last year getting tight in the dung an put it down to the straw they were eating but they were getting mollases and minerals , so i think the mollases aswell as the moist haylage kept them from constipating .
    The frustrating thing about this conversation here is , i called down to my vet Thursday evening to collect a p.o.m , and sat down and told him the scenario, and he advised me to house remaining cows which i think will have an issue calving and put them on a straw only diet . I asked would any other concentrates be required and he said just straw and minerals :mad: .
    yea haylage would have kept them right. they definitely need protein on a straw only diet,
    used to feed straw and silage myself when I had cows, kept cows fit and calves small. big calves and hard calvings could be iodine defciency,
    are you feeding a good mineral, we often sprayed 10 ml tincture of iodine on the shoulder where they lick every week to rise iodine levels if blood tests show low levels near calving, big necks in the calves can be symptomatic of iodine deficiency.

there are plenty of "free" nutrition advice available either on the net or from vested reps. Correction nutrition during the year should mean the restrictive diets arent needed, as restrictive diets are not in the animals interest in the 6 weeks before calving. Its not my place to talk about nutrition for breeding animals so that all I have to say

Vested Reps? There are too many guys trying to sell stuff that I don't need IMO. If animal nutrition isn't in a vet's "field" of expertise, then what is?

From the Farm walk, it looks like his vet is fairly on the ball with his nutritional advice. Since they completed the whole herd health plan 3 years ago, fertility in cows has shown a major increase, assisted calvings have decreased, retained cleanings, calf scours, pnumonia etc have all gone down. Money invested in minerals has doubled its return according to the farm owner. I can't really argue with that!

• Advertisement

Vested Reps? There are too many guys trying to sell stuff that I don't need IMO. If animal nutrition isn't in a vet's "field" of expertise, then what is?

From the Farm walk, it looks like his vet is fairly on the ball with his nutritional advice. Since they completed the whole herd health plan 3 years ago, fertility in cows has shown a major increase, assisted calvings have decreased, retained cleanings, calf scours, pnumonia etc have all gone down. Money invested in minerals has doubled its return according to the farm owner. I can't really argue with that!

Its a Nutritionists field to be dealing with nutrition. vets deal with the mechanics of the animals. dont think the herd health plan would deal with the nutrition side of things, minerals def's yes. Money invest in needed minerals is money very well spent but unless you operate a closed herd or nearly closed herd its impossible to isolate what minerals are in deficiency. Most suck farmers should talk to their vet about getting some blood samples done to see if there is any serious mineral def.

From the better farm walk last week, the Vet speaker suggested that the most important thing for spring calving suckler cows is to have them in good enough condition before they go into the shed......
    Ya, two different points. 1- Putting condition on the cow well before 6 wks pre-calving and 2 - restricing diet in the final 6 weeks. I was talking to a guy recently who was weaning early so he could put condition back on the cows cheaply with grass before housing.

Ya, two different points. 1- Putting condition on the cow well before 6 wks pre-calving and 2 - restricing diet in the final 6 weeks. I was talking to a guy recently who was weaning early so he could put condition back on the cows cheaply with grass before housing.

I'd definitely agree. The quality of silage isn't going to be spectacular this winter. Its cheaper to put condition on the cows with grass than feeding ration to them in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

bbam wrote: »
    We oral drenched our calves yesterday, albidex or something close to that, they're about 12 weeks old and have been in/out on grass for about two weeks..

I was surprised that a few of them have wee coughs thismorning, presumably from dieing parasites in the lungs.. I know they have absolutely no immunity but its amazing how quickly they pick them up..

Delayed doing the September '11 calves until December last year and ended up with pneumonia in a few after dosing, the worm burden was so high.
    All calves will be done after 2 weeks at grass from now on...

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

1chippy wrote: »

Sorry to hear that!
    Did all the Spring calves with booster last week.
    Autumn '11 ones get theirs this weekend.
    I always try to keep ahead with vaccination. Learned to my cost:(

I dont know how accountants stick their job. Im an hour into doing my accounts and trying to do anything to avoid having to do them.

rancher wrote: »
    yea haylage would have kept them right. they definitely need protein on a straw only diet,
    used to feed straw and silage myself when I had cows, kept cows fit and calves small. big calves and hard calvings could be iodine defciency,
    are you feeding a good mineral, we often sprayed 10 ml tincture of iodine on the shoulder where they lick every week to rise iodine levels if blood tests show low levels near calving, big necks in the calves can be symptomatic of iodine deficiency.

Cows in the field have access to Gain Pre Calving buckets and have for the last 6 weeks .
    Last year i bought dissolvable pre calver mineral tablets from mayo healthcare that are hung in a net dispenser under the water line of the water trough and replaced weekly.
    However i went off to co-op today after getting more information on straw diets and the need for protien to stop "impaction" , and i bought Gain Pre Calver Gold powder along with soya bean meal and will mix it with a small amount of mollasses for energy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

It is important that this diet has a restricted amount of protein as opposed to quantity. This is why hay or straw is ideal. He also highlighted the importance of giving minerals before calving to ensure calf health and that the cow will go back in calf soon after calving. On the farm that we were on, he gives 2 all trace bullets and 1 copper bullet 8 weeks before calving.

That's gas about the protein Reilig. I was at another suckler day (outside of the BETTER scheme), where the underfeeding of protein was NOT recommended.

According to the speaker on the day, he alluded to several studies that showed low protein feeding of the cow in late gestation resulted in decreased calf vigour, delayed uterine involution, increased interval to oestrus and decreased conception rates following calving.

Feeding of hay or haylage only was more apt for AUTUMN suckler calvers.

Recommended spring calving suckler cow diet :

7kgs DM Silage (35kgs fresh weight @20%DM)
    3kgs Hay/Straw
    1kg Rolled Oats
    0.5kg Soyabean meal
    50-80g suitable loose minerals (to incl Phosporous/ Calcium/Magnesium/sodium/copper/zinc/manganese/iodine/cobalt/selenium and vitamins A,D3,E,B12)

It's hard to know who or what to believe sometimes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

When does aftergrass start to lose quality?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

Muckit wrote: »
    It is important that this diet has a restricted amount of protein as opposed to quantity. This is why hay or straw is ideal. He also highlighted the importance of giving minerals before calving to ensure calf health and that the cow will go back in calf soon after calving. On the farm that we were on, he gives 2 all trace bullets and 1 copper bullet 8 weeks before calving.

That's gas about the protein Reilig. I was at another suckler day (outside of the BETTER scheme), where the underfeeding of protein was NOT recommended.

According to the speaker on the day, he alluded to several studies that showed low protein feeding of the cow in late gestation resulted in decreased calf vigour, delayed uterine involution, increased interval to oestrus and decreased conception rates following calving.

Feeding of hay or haylage only was more apt for AUTUMN suckler calvers.

Recommended spring calving suckler cow diet :

7kgs DM Silage (35kgs fresh weight @20%DM)
    3kgs Hay/Straw
    1kg Rolled Oats
    0.5kg Soyabean meal
    50-80g suitable loose minerals (to incl Phosporous/ Calcium/Magnesium/sodium/copper/zinc/manganese/iodine/cobalt/selenium and vitamins A,D3,E,B12)

It's hard to know who or what to believe sometimes!

In all fairness lads, what is wrong with plain simple cop on instead of all this mumbo jumbo academic diet baloney!
    Cow goes in she'd in fairly good condition. No fat not thin. Gets a bit less than ad lib silage of reasonably good quality until month before time up. Then silage cut back by more than fifty percent. Gets hay instead if you have it. Straw if you don't. Mineral bucket as well. She will more than likely calf without help and go back in calf in due course. All feed measurements by eye and experience.
    The farm walk I learned that lesson was when I was ten, running around after the old man!
    I think all this stuff about trace element boluses and stuff, is merely a way to lighten our pockets!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement