Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

The Parthenais society are pickin up a bull weanling of ours at the weekend for the ploughing stand. Love the calves we have just going to use part slowly until i know the heifers are wide enough and capable of calving blue. got another 25 straws of LRY last week he worth a try lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

The Parthenais society are pickin up a bull weanling of ours at the weekend for the ploughing stand. Love the calves we have just going to use part slowly until i know the heifers are wide enough and capable of calving blue. got another 25 straws of LRY last week he worth a try lads.

Whats the dam of the calf? Any chance of a pic of him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What's the story with the fukkin ad in every few posts when we are signed in?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

separator.gifboards have to make a bit of money some way blue!

Fair play tismesotis! must be a mighty animal if hes going to the ploughing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Tipp Man wrote: »
    The problem is Bob that guys are pumping nuts and fodder into bulls at huge rates and huge costs and are left with feck all - they then need a large turnover of animals to make any kind of money. Its a vicious circle.

Darragh is doing 200 because i would imagine he is spending hardly anything only silage and vetinary on them and not much else. In fact if he has silage to buy back cattle this autumn he'll do a whole lot better than 200

We are making 180 on small store cattle buying in the spring and selling in the autumn - zero fertiliser spread (apart from reseed) - only costs are mart fees, transport (our own) 2 doses and TB test. No sheds needed, no silage needed, definately no nuts needed, feck all in costs and feck all work. Admittedly it could be a very tough year this year as the arse has fallen out of the market - but this is the first year in 10 we have gotten caught - and we haven't sold an animal yet so we haven't actually been caught yet but with the arse after falling out of the market we more than likely won't make much

Fellas would be better off with less animals, less turnover of animals and making more per animal IMO

As I always say if you own land and money you can make plenty of money in dry cattle. unfortunatly as of now I rent most of the land and borrow all the money. If I keep a €1000 animal for a year there is €60 of interest and €60 again of a land rent on top of their head. On my owned ground I alway include an opportunity cost as well as a cost as we could get that without any work. So you lads will be €120 better off with the same animal than poor me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Tipp Man wrote: »
    The problem is Bob that guys are pumping nuts and fodder into bulls at huge rates and huge costs and are left with feck all - they then need a large turnover of animals to make any kind of money. Its a vicious circle.

Darragh is doing 200 because i would imagine he is spending hardly anything only silage and vetinary on them and not much else. In fact if he has silage to buy back cattle this autumn he'll do a whole lot better than 200

We are making 180 on small store cattle buying in the spring and selling in the autumn - zero fertiliser spread (apart from reseed) - only costs are mart fees, transport (our own) 2 doses and TB test. No sheds needed, no silage needed, definately no nuts needed, feck all in costs and feck all work. Admittedly it could be a very tough year this year as the arse has fallen out of the market - but this is the first year in 10 we have gotten caught - and we haven't sold an animal yet so we haven't actually been caught yet but with the arse after falling out of the market we more than likely won't make much

Fellas would be better off with less animals, less turnover of animals and making more per animal IMO

As I always say if you own land and money you can make plenty of money in dry cattle. unfortunatly as of now I rent most of the land and borrow all the money. If I keep a €1000 animal for a year there is €60 of interest and €60 again of a land rent on top of their head. On my owned ground I alway include an opportunity cost as well as a cost as we could get that without any work. So you lads will be €120 better off with the same animal than poor me
    Ahh but Bob, would you be happy doing anything else? Somethings you can't put a price on ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

Muckit wrote: »
    SFA..? Sound Financial Acumen? :D

Thats a new one for SFA for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Glad to hear this! Just took a chance on crossing Millbrook Dartagnan with a lovely sim second calver for next year. Any idea what his calves are like?

He has poor calving figures. In our discussion group, 2 people had sections on heifers that he was used on. On the other hand, I had a pedigree cow calve a heifer off him last year and she has turned into a smashing heifer. PL is very fond of putting on Dartangan straws - just be careful if the cow is a hard calver. However, anything that comes out of the Millbrook herd is pretty good in my reconing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

bob Charles said
    As I always say if you own land and money you can make plenty of money in dry cattle. unfortunatly as of now I rent most of the land and borrow all the money. If I keep a €1000 animal for a year there is €60 of interest and €60 again of a land rent on top of their head. On my owned ground I alway include an opportunity cost as well as a cost as we could get that without any work. So you lads will be €120 better off with the same animal than poor me[/Quote]

I suppose we are in a very good starting position for our finishing system. We got out of milking cows in 2004, sold a 110 herd plus heifers.
    The farm was set up to a very good standard. All the land we farm is owned. We used to do our own silage till 2004, now we mow, and put into the pit ourselves and just get the contractor with the wagon (53 euro per acre first cut). Grass is top quality, never go for quantity. The father won the silage awards in our area 3 of 4 years he entered (he doesn't do it any more, to much hassle). The land is good grass growing land, with an excellent road network. All buildings ate there since the dairy cows, and require some maintenance every year, but is averaging les than 18 euro per head per year. We carry about 120 animals per year, and in the past we have been closer to 150. This allows us to alway finish over 90% off of grass.... We haven't finished less than 90% before housing in over 4 years.
    It may be suggested that we are under.stocked, but its easier on man and beast (and fertilizer bill). We have deck all SFP, less than 1000 euro. And are no longer in reps (thaks to a dopey farm adviser)
    So in reality, we have to aim for 200, we may as well walk away of we don't........... And of course sell it all to you Bob . winks

johnpawl wrote: »
    Whats the dam of the calf? Any chance of a pic of him
    Black lim out of a holstein /fr cow who was sired by the 100% holstein bull Eblack(EBK). I'l try have a pic up b4 the day is out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I was without internet there for a few days. I was reduced to reading a book in my spare time. There is something nice about reading a book as opposed to reading stuff off a screen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Bizzum wrote: »
    I was without internet there for a few days. I was reduced to reading a book in my spare time. There is something nice about reading a book as opposed to reading stuff off a screen!

What were you reading d'ya mind me asking? I've my auld fellas head broke with the amount of books I have. Over 500 at last count:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

What were you reading d'ya mind me asking? I've my auld fellas head broke with the amount of books I have. Over 500 at last count:eek:

You need a Kindle:p Great job. You could hold the town library on it! Very easy on the eye when reading it. Just like reading a paper book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

was at this this morning... very informative well worth the visit, opened my eyes big time, think its one of the first ones to be held locally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

well done on getting a weanling into the ploughing,he must be red in colour, did they pay for all vacinations for pneumonia as its a very stressfull time on them,last year on the blue stand bottles were on the go,and i was in the part stand and there was concern about animals blowing in there aswell ,i did not see any bottles on the go but they were talking about getting a vet at one stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

fair play to him

Meet the farmer who sold his land for €1.5m seven years ago - and bought it back for €60,000

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/meet-the-farmer-who-sold-his-land-for-15m-seven-years-ago-and-bought-it-back-for-60000-3235798.html

You need a Kindle:p Great job. You could hold the town library on it! Very easy on the eye when reading it. Just like reading a paper book.

But it doesn't smell like a book:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

leg wax wrote: »
    well done on getting a weanling into the ploughing,he must be red in colour, did they pay for all vacinations for pneumonia as its a very stressfull time on them,last year on the blue stand bottles were on the go,and i was in the part stand and there was concern about animals blowing in there aswell ,i did not see any bottles on the go but they were talking about getting a vet at one stage.

Had a ram on a stand too that ended up
    1 with pnuemonia
    2 going from being a quite sheep to being a looney from the mawling he got, wouldn't do it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Thats a great achievement in itself , well done on that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

50 shades of Grey I bet :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Someone gave that book to the wife for her birthday . Talk about sh*te:D
    Fair play to whoever wrote it though she is coining it in for throwing together a few dirty thoughts she had .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

What were you reading d'ya mind me asking?

War and Peace by Tolstoy:D

(Ah no it wasn't.......It was Darragh, My Life. Middling enough read!)

leg wax wrote: »
    Thanks Legs we giving them all their boosters tomorrow but no they not payin.gettin tickets off them. tbh chuffed to have one they see fit to want! He very very easy going so think he'l be ok.sending down a bucket of the meal he's on to try limit upset

Yup, can't wait til I go to the cinema to watch that sh*te:D

Ah War and Peace, my favourite bit of light reading.
    I'm after seeing the strangest occurance outside, it was like a line of lights going through the sky and then fading out, almost like a comet breaking up and burning out, roughly nine lights in a line. Its baffling!!:eek::confused:

I'm after seeing the strangest occurance outside, it was like a line of lights going through the sky and then fading out, almost like a comet breaking up and burning out, roughly nine lights in a line. Its baffling!!:eek::confused:
    Chinese lanterns. They're like miniture hot air baloons that are let off for occassions like weddings. Should be banned in my opinion. They have a paper mache ball which is hung from a ring which is about 15" in diameter. The mache disappears to nothing but the ring which it all hangs from could get wrapped around a beast's leg and cause damage.

• Advertisement

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSO6IjD_mSjpo2YzoURIpWDJbHHIk9xcUMhjwK4hM5KxHCgdCXPrL6docr

just do it wrote: »
    Chinese lanterns. They're like miniture hot air baloons that are let off for occassions like weddings. Should be banned in my opinion. They have a paper mache ball which is hung from a ring which is about 15" in diameter. The mache disappears to nothing but the ring which it all hangs from could get wrapped around a beast's leg and cause damage.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056761402

NOPE! It's national news now!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Just after lookin at the other posts on that link there. I was outside at that time too . Missed it :confused:

Slightly more dramatic than chinese lanterns!!! Seen from Scotland, Liverpool, Dublin and Leitrim!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 salmonkat

that was spectacular! we were in town at culture night. we thought of fireworks too. we saw over the liffey from parliament street. amazing! never seen anything like that. it was so slow and serene.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Cold one folks.
    Just back in, 1c and a hard white frost, had to get hot water to defrost the window of the jeep.

Track machine left the farm yesterday after nearly 7 full days:eek:. About 5 days of that was for me. He's a great lad so I'm happy to see him pick up a few other bits for neighbours just because they saw him in my place.

The downside - a load of fencing to put back up:rolleyes:. I'll post a few photos in due course....

Track machine left the farm yesterday after nearly 7 full days:eek:. About 5 days of that was for me. He's a great lad so I'm happy to see him pick up a few other bits for neighbours just because they saw him in my place.

The downside - a load of fencing to put back up:rolleyes:. I'll post a few photos in due course....
    did ya get the bill, i nearly had a heart attack when i got mine, he was here for 10 days:eek::eek: in tracks machine... but did a great job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Should be banned :rolleyes:

Yup, can't wait til I go to the cinema to watch that sh*te:D

Ah War and Peace, my favourite bit of light reading.

Don't worry about them lights. They are just the disadvantage area payments flying into our accounts. Curious how they are so heavily concentrated in the east of the country -:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Fair play ... Good job I hope.

That's the way it is here too .. Machine in the village and everyone has small jobs for doing that they wouldn't purposely order in a track machine but no prob giving the lad E100 if he here anyway :-)

whelan1 wrote: »
    did ya get the bill, i nearly had a heart attack when i got mine, he was here for 10 days:eek::eek: in tracks machine... but did a great job

Usually give a local boy with a 12t a months work, being doing it for the last 5 yrs or so, promised him the same again this year but with the weather we have done absolutely nothing.

If you want to know what expense is, you should hire a dozer. I was nearly crying filling up the 600ltr tank every day and a half last summer but the output of work is immense. Had it on self drive and drove it for a day while my driver was away. Serious fun to drive, the power and sound the machine is amazing even though the one we had was only 25t, cant even imagine the stuff you could shift with a big girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPDAUNN4F-8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Are anyone's bulls as mad as these?

Bottlified or nursed, it makes no difference!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Pat the lad

If you want to know what expense is, you should hire a dozer. I was nearly crying filling up the 600ltr tank every day and a half last summer but the output of work is immense. Had it on self drive and drove it for a day while my driver was away. Serious fun to drive, the power and sound the machine is amazing even though the one we had was only 25t, cant even imagine the stuff you could shift with a big girl[/Quote]

drove a D65 for a few hours one time. serious power. joy stick controls were class. Foot throttle took a little bit of getting used to- push down to slow down/stop and release to give power/ speed up. great fun though, get some work done in a short space of time

• Advertisement

Lads, whatever else ye bring up, don't mention rats! It could be a straight red -:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

We have a 6 tonne international dozer for years , the father is a dinger at taking out the humps of a field with it and leveling out the clay again , I am brutal on it though I would be just wasting diesel :D

drove a D65 for a few hours one time. serious power. joy stick controls were class. Foot throttle took a little bit of getting used to- push down to slow down/stop and release to give power/ speed up. great fun though, get some work done in a short space of time

yeah it was a D65 I was hiring, once you can get a good bite on the surface you can do serious shoving. the guy I had driving it make it look like childsplay. He said the CAT with the high tracks was the dogs as you can see the lip of the blade easily from the seat. Many poor guys suffered down through the years pulling and pushing levelers on the old girls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

cant even imagine the stuff you could shift with a big girl

TMI bob.... TMI :D

Muckit wrote: »
    TMI bob.... TMI :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

whelan1 wrote: »
    i think its around 35-40 euros an hour for a 13 tonnes, i have to get a lad meself in for a couple of days. Often thought about buying one myself

€600 per day:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

kevthegaff wrote: »
    i think its around 35-40 euros an hour for a 13 tonnes, i have to get a lad meself in for a couple of days. Often thought about buying one myself
    What about hiring a self drive digger, should get one for less than grand a week, achieve two things, get the job done and show you whether you'd want one of your own, I've seen lads put 100 hrs on them on a weeks hire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Odelay

Well worth trying once, even just for the crack.

However what one lad can do in 100hrs an experienced operator who knows how to plan his work will do it in 30-40hrs. Diesel is expensive! we have one machine munching through 35lts per hr and that is on economy setting. Moves mountains though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I got my reseeding finished and rolled in there this evening ... A little late maybe ?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement