Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alderdeer

Weather has gotten very cold in the last few days there's a real feel of winter now.
    I put the weanlings in on Monday to give them bimectin cos a few had started coughing over the weekend and I had 1 with pneumonia yesterday and 2 today. let's hope that's it for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

100,000 out of 130,000 farmers farm in disadvantaged areas according to Coveney on Pat Kenny's radio programme. I would not have thought the number that high.

I agree to an extent...
    my question is disadvantaged compared to what?? Other irish farms or the best of European farms...

If its onlt internally to Ireland, then I cannot beleive there are only 30,000 farms on prime Irish land..

Look at the numbers of farms per county here, page 10...

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/agriculture/2010/coapre2010.pdf

alderdeer wrote: »
    Weather has gotten very cold in the last few days there's a real feel of winter now.
    I put the weanlings in on Monday to give them bimectin cos a few had started coughing over the weekend and I had 1 with pneumonia yesterday and 2 today. let's hope that's it for now

Can't the sudden death of a heavy burden of lungworm bring on pneumonia.. chatting with the vet one day about stuff in general and she actualy recommended that if an animal is coughing alot then maybe an oral drench might be better as the kill is slower and easier for an animal to cope with..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

bbam wrote: »
    Can't the sudden death of a heavy burden of lungworm bring on pneumonia.. chatting with the vet one day about stuff in general and she actualy recommended that if an animal is coughing alot then maybe an oral drench might be better as the kill is slower and easier for an animal to cope with..

+1 Got similar advice from my vet recently.

Just registered our tank online..
    I noticed that the registration needs to be done every 5 years??
    Why, its not like it will be going anywhere..

So that's €50 every 5 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alderdeer

bbam wrote: »

I've heard something similar myself before but I thought I was pretty on top of it this year I've them dosed 2 times already so thought there shouldn't be any problems.
    Just popped into vet there and he gave me a new injection their trying this year its Zactran has anyone used it yet. Its an antibiotic given under the skin and 1 shot is meant to sort them out. €€€€€€€ of course its an expensive one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

alderdeer wrote: »
    I've heard something similar myself before but I thought I was pretty on top of it this year I've them dosed 2 times already so thought there shouldn't be any problems.
    Just popped into vet there and he gave me a new injection their trying this year its Zactran has anyone used it yet. Its an antibiotic given under the skin and 1 shot is meant to sort them out. €€€€€€€ of course its an expensive one

Gave it to an in calf heifer with pluracy day before yesterday. Vet told me if this doesn't work she will probably die from it. She is carrying a pedigree Belgian Blue embryo and is six months in calf. He tells me that it is fairly common this year. I wouldn't mind but she has been dosed every 6-8 weeks this summer. This lady has cost me massive money to get to this stage so I am p***** off now. The injection was €100 for 30cc. She had had a bottle of Nuflor before this at €70 a bottle and a bottle of pen & strep. Throw in the callout fees as well. Please nobody tell me that where you have livestock you'll have dead stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

saranac1 wrote: »
    they were bulled by a ch/lm bull (DOB 24/3/2010)

I'm guessing he's a half bred bull? ch/lm..?:confused:

keep good notes from the scans re: due dates and/or dates you saw them bulled.
    feed away then ad-lib silage/hay until they 6 mths in calf. dose for fluke/worms and treat for lice at housing.
    invest in a calving jack and proper handling facilities for calving cow.

I suppose youre as well not to make any other big plans until they start to spring a bit..
    what will you do with the other 5 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

we have 15 heifers in total.all were bulled in feb 2012. only scanned them 9th august (stupidly not knowing i should have done it much earlier)and 10 were in calf @ 3/4 months.the other 5 are being bulled by 2 charlaois bulls now and will be scanned nov1st 2012. i intend to house these in calf heifers soon (weather depending) and i have hay,silage and haylage also. what dosing would you recommend ? the heifers were treated with blackjack( tarry stuff applied to their tits to prevent warble flies) back in august also....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Hay_man

I see the IFFPG is at it again :eek:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/farmproduce/3408203

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

I wonder would these be a good breed of cattle?
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/3888963

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

johnpawl wrote: »

The French BelgainBlue . Never seen any of them apart from pictures

saranac1 wrote: »
    we have 15 heifers in total.all were bulled in feb 2012. only scanned them 9th august (stupidly not knowing i should have done it much earlier)and 10 were in calf @ 3/4 months.the other 5 are being bulled by 2 charlaois bulls now and will be scanned nov1st 2012. i intend to house these in calf heifers soon (weather depending) and i have hay,silage and haylage also. what dosing would you recommend ? the heifers were treated with blackjack( tarry stuff applied to their tits to prevent warble flies) back in august also....

Well this last couple of years we drench with levafas diamond about 3/4 weeks after housing plus any of the 10ml lice pourons every 4/6 weeks to keep the lice away. the tar on the teats is a good idea but hateful stuff to handle. some of your heifers will be calving in 6/7 weeks so nearly time to get them on the hay.
    pre-calver bolus' should also be considered but vet will know best about that.
    5 heifers with 2 charolais bulls..........are u kiddin?:rolleyes:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/3888963[/QUOTE]

a neighbour of mine has some. they are lovely cattle, cows are monsters!
    They were introduced into s/horn in the 60s/70s to add power and shape...
    If you see a p.b. s/horn with 10% m.a. then thats what it means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭limo_100

Well this last couple of years we drench with levafas diamond about 3/4 weeks after housing plus any of the 10ml lice pourons every 4/6 weeks to keep the lice away. the tar on the teats is a good idea but hateful stuff to handle. some of your heifers will be calving in 6/7 weeks so nearly time to get them on the hay.
    pre-calver bolus' should also be considered but vet will know best about that.
    5 heifers with 2 charolais bulls..........are u kiddin?:rolleyes:

do you prefer levafas diamond to trodax?? i normally use trodax 4weeks after they are housed and use a drench in the summer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Went out to a farmer tonight that breeds The Best and fanciest weanlings that I've ever seen .. Year after year! I knew going out id fall in love with some of his heifer calves... Had to scull what I'd describe as a horse of a Saler X Ai lim heifer calf afterwards he told me he had hoped I'd have bought her horns n all... I'm gutted I'll have to buy her in Mart now .. Super animal ... As good a cross bred weanling for breeding as you'll see in the country ... Quiet as a lamb, dam is huge powerful cow with oceans of milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

dovea have a bull in their catalogue, they look nice cattle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I wonder would these be a good breed of cattle?[/QUOTE]

speaking of cattle, I was looking back through pics thread and seen that a lof of your pics have been wiped for some reason....?:confused:

Muckit wrote: »
    I wonder would these be a good breed of cattle?[URL="http://[/QUOTE"][/QUOTE[/URL]]

speaking of cattle, I was looking back through pics thread and seen that a lof of your pics have been wiped for some reason....?:confused:

Yes we have 5 running with 2 charlaois bulls (born march 2011). If the heifers are 3/4 months in calf now, how long more will it take for them to calve, 9 months no?????
    Why should I be putting them on hay or haulage now?
    Is it a requirement to give the mother a bolus or helpful for the calf?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Just when you mention Maine Anjou, I seen two breeds last night that I had never seen before, Stabiliser and Speckle Park. Stabiliser looks to be a nice breeding animal.

limo_100 wrote: »
    do you prefer levafas diamond to trodax?? i normally use trodax 4weeks after they are housed and use a drench in the summer

yeah, we did the trodax thing for years but now prefer the drench.
    Trodax is powerful stuff but not so good on rumen fluke. (not to mention what it does to you if u get it on your skin) .
    I wouldnt change from the drench after seeing the results in the stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

alot off topic , but r.i.p. jill meagher there are some sicko's out there... my brother went to school with her, god help her husband and family.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Jeez fencing is a slow slow job. I'd a lad with me today from 12 till 6 so that we could tear into it. Unfortunately I'd a cow that I weaned this morning decide she wasn't happy where she was so fencing came to halt at 4.30. Piddley weather as well which didn't help. We only got about half of what I've to re-fence done after having the track machine in! Having someone with you though is a God-send. It will be piece-meal for the rest of it - early morning and evening time as I can't afford any more time off work:(.

BBC2, Thur @ 8pm

Anyone watch it...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01mmt8t

Havent seen all the episodes but it is both interesting and entertaining... Watching yer man putting the clusters from a bucket plant onto a cow for the first time was class..

Their nettle silage was rough looking stuff too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

saw a bit of it. was pretty good. The stuff going into that pit did look a bit dodge alright!

fantastic day here, long may it last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

was putting up fences in old silage ground today and spotted that those little green beetles were attacking the docks:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

any nerves yet muckit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

keep going wrote: »
    was putting up fences in old silage ground today and spotted that those little green beetles were attacking the docks:):):)

Start breeding them and send me some please

• Advertisement

1chippy wrote: »
    any nerves yet muckit?

Nerves.... cool as a cucumber 1chippy......! :o:D :D

This night two weeks I'I be a married man and dancing me socks off at reception. Paid enough for the band, so might aswel get me moneys worth ;)

Is it you that's getting married soon too?

I got to throw in a bit of a farming theme aswel. Instead of table 1, 2 etc at reception, we're naming them after tractors...! So there's the Fendt table, Massey Ferguson table , Fiat etc.... :D Bit of a talking point if nothing else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

This night two weeks I'I be a married man and dancing me socks off at reception. Paid enough for the band, so might aswel get me moneys worth ;)

I got to throw in a bit of a farming theme aswel. Instead of table 1, 2 etc at reception, we're naming them after tractors...! So there's the Fendt table, Massey Ferguson table , Fiat etc.... :D Bit of a talking point if nothing else!

I spose ye have the bridesmaids wearing wellies and oilers too :D

And they say it's only farmers that are big into GAA......:)

p9280456.jpg

Some photos from Ballinasloe Town....

p9280451.jpg

p9280447.jpg

p9280453.jpg

p9280448.jpg

Next week for me. i was gonna name the tables after cows. short people on the angus table big arses on the blue and so on . it got shot down pretty quick.
    currently wasting my time looking at calving jacks, any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

going to look at ram tomorrow,anyone in dungarvan monday? hows store heifers going?

Chippy, Muckit

Best of luck the pair of ye, it's a great day :)

I'd be interested to see who was picked to sit at the zetor and limousin tables :D

p9290458.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

1chippy wrote: »
    Next week for me. i was gonna name the tables after cows. short people on the angus table big arses on the blue and so on . it got shot down pretty quick.
    currently wasting my time looking at calving jacks, any suggestions?

The auld lad had one of THESE for years and he made a hoop of it one day calving a wicked cow. He bought a technal one after and he said its a c**t of a thing in comparison. Big difference on the money front though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Agree with above. I borrowed a Vink from a neighbour a while back. Easy to use. I then bought a Technal one, from Magenta Direct.
    The Technal is fine, but more akward to use.

• Advertisement

justin mc carthy is taking over from matt dempsey as editor at the farmers journal:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

whelan1 wrote: »
    justin mc carthy is taking over from matt dempsey as editor at the farmers journal:eek:

He might put a nice picture on page 3, to brighten things up in this bad weather.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It does sound more than a bit incredible. Totally aside from the timescale involved- we simply don't have predators around capable of something like this (correct me if I'm wrong!). 'Very worrying'? I'd be more than worried if there was something around capable of this- I'd be downright terrified. Lets see how the story plays out........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

smccarrick wrote: »
    It does sound more than a bit incredible. Totally aside from the timescale involved- we simply don't have predators around capable of something like this (correct me if I'm wrong!). 'Very worrying'? I'd be more than worried if there was something around capable of this- I'd be downright terrified. Lets see how the story plays out........

A red stag maybe.. They starting to rutt here at the moment ... They can be vicious ... It had to be something bigger than a dog to break rib cage

yeh i'm inclined to lean towards the vink. have had a technal and it has started to slip. they are just not that great. has anyone the vink beef or is it worth spending that extra few quid? The first cow is due on the day of my wedding so i want something thats going to be that bit faster.

• Advertisement

That is shocking. Some animals get imported illegally, I hope they find out what it was and cull it.

Edit - and prosecute the culprit (if that's the cause).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

just do it wrote: »
    That is shocking. Some animals get imported illegally, I hope they find out what it was and cull it.

Edit - and prosecute the culprit (if that's the cause).

I'd say its more likely the calves were killed and butchered by the hand of a criminal gang supplying the black market for meat. There was a similiar case in Tipp last year involving a bullock if I remember rightly and farmers in these parts have told me of other cases involving sheep as well as calves.

what age where the calves? didnt read the links (sorry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

speaking of cattle, I was looking back through pics thread and seen that a lof of your pics have been wiped for some reason....?:confused:[/QUOTE]

That happened unintentionally. I was using imageshack and I thought the pics were permanently on the threads, but when I changed the pictures in my account they disappeared off here

That happened unintentionally. I was using imageshack and I thought the pics were permanently on the threads, but when I changed the pictures in my account they disappeared off here
    Ah sucra I'm disappointed to here that. I was hoping to be able to look back over pictures for a few years :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement