Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

ye thats what i think and do goose eggs take 35 days? the duck eggs will only be in 3 weeks on monday , we got them off a neighbour ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

reilig wrote: »
    My mother in law hatched 2 turkey eggs under a small hen last year and both hatched. She minded them for a couple of months until they got too big for her and they started taking bullying her and taking her food.
    Your poor mother in law:D

Just finished shearing the sheeps so in topping form and hoping to go for a few scoops tonight and check out the match and see how the other 95% of the population live.

And not a maggot in sight:D:D. Happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

whelan1 wrote: »
    ye thats what i think and do goose eggs take 35 days? the duck eggs will only be in 3 weeks on monday , we got them off a neighbour ..
    goose eggs are around 35 days but it can change by a few days for different breeds i think geese are the easyiest things to mind once they hatched they grow rapid compared to hens or ducks . I had a few last year the had nothing but grass and fattened mighty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

stanflt wrote: »
    alls the oh was going on about was her summer holidays-lucky teachers is all i say

'walk a day in my shoes'..........

went away for an hour to come back to feathers everywhere 3 fooking dogs got our hens stll missing some . kids devastated , have the dogs locked in a shed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

went away for an hour to come back to feathers everywhere 3 fooking dogs got our hens stll missing some . kids devastated , have the dogs locked in a shed

Your dogs or someone elses?

we have no dogs since dd was savaged by a dog last year... i have the 3 dogs locked in a shed ... have rang the guards and dog warden- not much use as its a bank holiday weekend, dh wants to shoot them but i want to find out the owners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

we have no dogs since dd was savaged by a dog last year... i have the 3 dogs locked in a shed ... have rang the guards and dog warden- not much use as its a bank holiday weekend, dh wants to shoot them but i want to find out the owners
    the dh is right shoot them and no more trouble.you have to feed and water the dogs and clean the shed after them.thats why i got out of sheep savaged by dogs had 10 down to two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

5live wrote: »
    Just finished shearing the sheeps so in topping form and hoping to go for a few scoops tonight and check out the match and see how the other 95% of the population live.

And not a maggot in sight:D:D. Happy days

get any quotes for the wool ?

best I could get is €1.30/kg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Give a heads up to the local garda so they know what's happening. Take a note of the time of the call and name and rank of the garda
    Seems your husband has done this already

If the dogs reappear shot them dead.
    If you catch them in the act, shot them dead and try to trace them to the owner for compensation

Public liability insurance would cover this

Keep the local garda aware anyway
    If your husband shots the dog the owner may be straight to the gardaí. So you need to keep updating the local garda so they know the score.
    Get your story in first so to speak.

Again, always take a note of times and dates and name & rank when you make a call

thanks rang the guards last night... kids had nightmares , dd that was attacked last year wont go out of the house .... why do people have dogs if they wont look after them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

.... why do people have dogs if they wont look after them

Indeed - if someone can't be bothered to ensure their dogs don't stray in rural areas then they usually can't be bothered to do basic things like neuter their pet, which is why Ireland has some of the worst figures in Western Europe when it comes to the sheer number of strays destroyed every year:mad: :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056289825

Shocking stuff for June!! - Surely we can't be looking at a 6th poor summer in a row??:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Birdnuts wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056289825

Shocking stuff for June!! - Surely we can't be looking at a 6th poor summer in a row??:(

ya fairly cold here this morning, rain just about to kick off

got a good days rain yesterday, was badly needed .... the triticale just shot out of it yesterday...make sure ye have the hi mag buckets with the sucklers lads , real tetany weather if there is going to be frost or snow:eek:

snowman707 wrote: »
    get any quotes for the wool ?

best I could get is €1.30/kg
    Havent looked yet. Just glad to be shorn. Off for 2 weeks as have to have op on wednesday morning so not able to stir for a week. But will get bored after a day or 2 and will start ringing around. But first a bit of fencing and fert spreading. What bank holiday:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭stanflt

Milked the cows at 4this morning cause the cows were been judged for the herds competition at 4this evening-they looked great, had them all washed and tails clipped. a lot of work but enjoyable:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

took delivery of a second hand version of this there saturday evening. Was planning to be in and watching telly by 8 after milking but couldnt resist going out and givin her a test drive across 4 acres.

http://www.fastline.com/flimages/internet/033/007/4003042_2.jpg

Brother went down to waterford there the other day to buy it, sneaky hoore never told me he got a handler and all. New McHale bale handler, fairly sweet now. Wouldnt really be big bale men or anything but contractor was looking for 40/hr to draw in a few bales, well have it covered id say with this season and half next years.

• Advertisement

what the story now did you get the hens that are missing.

all accounted for 4 dead and 1 in a bad way... he only has 18 hens , so he is devastated ... he has a maron breeding pair and they are ok and a hen that was laying on eggs is fine too , so thats something at least... there was 1 hen that would sneak in to the porch and lay her egg and go off again, she is dead.... no sign of the dogs, they got out of the shed we had them in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

all accounted for 4 dead and 1 in a bad way... he only has 18 hens , so he is devastated ... he has a maron breeding pair and they are ok and a hen that was laying on eggs is fine too , so thats something at least... there was 1 hen that would sneak in to the porch and lay her egg and go off again, she is dead.... no sign of the dogs, they got out of the shed we had them in

Should have listened to your boss, and shot them when you had the chance.:)

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Should have listened to your boss, and shot them when you had the chance.:)
    the reason they got away was him:rolleyes::(:mad: they would still be in the shed if it wasnt for him

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

the reason they got away was him:rolleyes::(:mad: they would still be in the shed if it wasnt for him
    He let them out? :eek:

Oh dear, I wouldn't want to be him :o

• Advertisement

yes , he's in my bad books and when dd heard they where gone she wouldn't leave the house.... dog warden rang me this morning -2 days after the event , useless is an understatement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

That's bloody terrible Whelan. We were plagued for years with dogs chasing our sheep - its one of the main reasons why we only keep 20 ewes now.
    It was the Gardai in the end who helped us - after several failed attempts with the county dog pound.

On several occasions, we caught the dogs in the act. Held them for several days while putting the word around neighbours that we had found dogs with the hope that they would come looking for them and that we would be able to hit them for compensation. They were never claimed so we would bring them to the dog pound assuming thet they would be put down.
    Now the county vet (CoCo) lived in the next parish to us. I never knew him personally, but I had the chance to sit at a table beside him at a conference a few years back. It was a couple of weeks after we had 9 ewes killed by 11 gun dogs - and no owner claimed them. The vet didn't know who I was at this conference and at lunch time he proceeded to talk about the county dog pound. He was very full of himself, and almost gloated about the fact that a farmer had brought in 11 dogs belonging to his neighbour that were lost during a fox hunt. He proudly said that he returned them to his neighbour.

I lodged a complaint with the county council at the time, but he denied ever having said anything. His neighbour, the owner, claimed to have rescued the dogs from the pound - we had a good idea at the start that they belonged to him. Its was total corruption.

A week later the same 11 dogs were back chasing our sheep.

Along with neighbours, we had several meetings with local Gardai following this. We expressed our dissatisfaction with the service being given to us by the county council's dog pound. Luckily, the Garda Seargent that we were dealing with was a farmer and knew the story. He pushed local newspapers to publish warnings to dog owners - warning that dogs caught chasing sheep would be shot on sight. He asked us to act responsibly with the way that we controlled dogs, but he effectively told us to shoot them if we found them chasing our sheep.

Now people can say that what we do is cruel, but what dogs do to our sheep is more cruel. Our local dog pound has not just let sheep farmers down by going behind our backs. It has also let dog owners in the area down because now instead of us bringing sheep chasers to the pound and allowing the owner to claim them and pay compensation for the damaged sheep, the dog arrives dead because of teh irresponsibility of the pound.

reilig wrote: »
    That's bloody terrible Whelan. We were plagued for years with dogs chasing our sheep - its one of the main reasons why we only keep 20 ewes now.
    It was the Gardai in the end who helped us - after several failed attempts with the county dog pound.

On several occasions, we caught the dogs in the act. Held them for several days while putting the word around neighbours that we had found dogs with the hope that they would come looking for them and that we would be able to hit them for compensation. They were never claimed so we would bring them to the dog pound assuming thet they would be put down.
    Now the county vet (CoCo) lived in the next parish to us. I never knew him personally, but I had the chance to sit at a table beside him at a conference a few years back. It was a couple of weeks after we had 9 ewes killed by 11 gun dogs - and no owner claimed them. The vet didn't know who I was at this conference and at lunch time he proceeded to talk about the county dog pound. He was very full of himself, and almost gloated about the fact that a farmer had brought in 11 dogs belonging to his neighbour that were lost during a fox hunt. He proudly said that he returned them to his neighbour.

I lodged a complaint with the county council at the time, but he denied ever having said anything. His neighbour, the owner, claimed to have rescued the dogs from the pound - we had a good idea at the start that they belonged to him. Its was total corruption.

A week later the same 11 dogs were back chasing our sheep.

Along with neighbours, we had several meetings with local Gardai following this. We expressed our dissatisfaction with the service being given to us by the county council's dog pound. Luckily, the Garda Seargent that we were dealing with was a farmer and knew the story. He pushed local newspapers to publish warnings to dog owners - warning that dogs caught chasing sheep would be shot on sight. He asked us to act responsibly with the way that we controlled dogs, but he effectively told us to shoot them if we found them chasing our sheep.

Now people can say that what we do is cruel, but what dogs do to our sheep is more cruel. Our local dog pound has not just let sheep farmers down by going behind our backs. It has also let dog owners in the area down because now instead of us bringing sheep chasers to the pound and allowing the owner to claim them and pay compensation for the damaged sheep, the dog arrives dead because of teh irresponsibility of the pound.
    Bloody good summary of the attitude to dogs in Kerry by the dog warden here too. Stone f*****g useless shower. And he arrives at my door looking for dog licences 2 weeks after i report an attack on my ewes telling me there had been a report of dog attacks in the area. FFS i am the only sheep farmer in the area:mad:

had a water leak under the concrete for a while now , was trying to ignore it , but we decided to go at it today... the water was bubbling up at the joinings of the concrete. we got a consaw and started to dig where we thought the leak was 4 hours later we got the leak , a tree root had nipped through the inch piping just outside the pumphouse ... had a joiner ready but there was one of the plastic rings missing out of it. had to go to hardware shop and get another, then we decided to move the root with the back arm of the digger and it snapped the power cable going to the pump house... fun times ... anyways leak is fixed now and power cable is fixed too. Just have to fill the massive hole back in tomorrow:D

Bloody good summary of the attitude to dogs in Kerry by the dog warden here too. Stone f*****g useless shower. And he arrives at my door looking for dog licences 2 weeks after i report an attack on my ewes telling me there had been a report of dog attacks in the area. FFS i am the only sheep farmer in the area:mad:

Suppose Jackie H Rea, got him the job.:D

• Advertisement

what the feck did he do that for:eek: that terrible them dogs will come back and kill the rest.

had a water leak under the concrete for a while now , was trying to ignore it , but we decided to go at it today... the water was bubbling up at the joinings of the concrete. we got a consaw and started to dig where we thought the leak was 4 hours later we got the leak , a tree root had nipped through the inch piping just outside the pumphouse ... had a joiner ready but there was one of the plastic rings missing out of it. had to go to hardware shop and get another, then we decided to move the root with the back arm of the digger and it snapped the power cable going to the pump house... fun times ... anyways leak is fixed now and power cable is fixed too. Just have to fill the massive hole back in tomorrow:D
    the brother was helping a man three days last week laying new double gauge 3/4 piping in his double slatted house. the man though the leaks were at joint elbows coming out of the concrete to the drinkers.they dug down and found they were okay.the double gauge piping was leaking:eek: the frost had it flat.they had to cut the floors with the consaw and kango out the trenches.some job and mess.the slatted house was built grant aided in 1993 and the man said all new double gauge piping was used and he seen it before it was laid.whelan was it double gauge inch piping that the tree root nipped. did anyone see frost burst double gauge piping before.

the brother was helping a man three days last week laying new double gauge 3/4 piping in his double slatted house. the man though the leaks were at joint elbows coming out of the concrete to the drinkers.they dug down and found they were okay.the double gauge piping was leaking:eek: the frost had it flat.they had to cut the floors with the consaw and kango out the trenches.some job and mess.the slatted house was built grant aided in 1993 and the man said all new double gauge piping was used and he seen it before it was laid.whelan was it double gauge inch piping that the tree root nipped. did anyone see frost burst double gauge piping before.
    this was normal gauge

I never, ever thought I'd hear the story I heard on Newstalk this morning. You name it, and it get's stolen off farms. But, A man was on from the ICSFA (I think it was the president) saying how his wool had been robbed, the ewes had been sheared that day but they couldn't finish them and decided to do the rest the next day. Overnight, poof, the wool was taken, about €700 worth. He had also heard of another farm this had happened on.

Some people will rob anything!

johngalway wrote: »
    I never, ever thought I'd hear the story I heard on Newstalk this morning. You name it, and it get's stolen off farms. But, A man was on from the ICSFA (I think it was the president) saying how his wool had been robbed, the ewes had been sheared that day but they couldn't finish them and decided to do the rest the next day. Overnight, poof, the wool was taken, about €700 worth. He had also heard of another farm this had happened on.

Some people will rob anything!
    ffs thats unreal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I saw that in the paper today sure it would be easier to rob that than the sheep i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

listening to the weather... temps close to 0 C on Thurs and Fri night :eek: What the hell!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Reading TB test tomorrow Thursday. One cow, has big bottom lump, with nothing at all on top! Is that a reactor? Could that change between now and tomorrow afternoon? I could do without that kind of problem.

Reading TB test tomorrow Thursday. One cow, has big bottom lump, with nothing at all on top! Is that a reactor? Could that change between now and tomorrow afternoon? I could do without that kind of problem.
    i have learnt not to bother looking for lumps , you will only loose sleep over nothing, the one you saw could have a lump on top under the skin ... good luck tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

in fairness atila i think you're screwed. anyway i dont think lizardmoon would approve of testing on bank holidays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Sold my spare tractor cab last night, and the lad buying it was telling me he's had over €700 worth of diesel stolen from his tank, all his tools taken and someone was interrupted while trying to steal something else, all in the last six months.

The guy stealing the diesel was walking in across the fields with a few 5 gallon drums, filling from the tank and walking back to the road again. the drums were left in a drain by the side of the road and collected later.

he was taking a little, but often. He reckons it must have been a neighbour. the guy was interupted in the act too, but not caught, at least he hasnt been back since.

scary scary stuff.

Bloody chainsaw :mad:

Great little machine, except when I want to use it :rolleyes: Have a few old logs to chop up for the stove.

Think there's something going wrong between the drive wheel and brake. Runs for a minute or two, cuts great, slows, stops, cuts out, smoke from under the drive wheel/brake cover.

Emailed the company that made it, had enough problems with it last year, doesn't owe us anything but still, what's the point in having the thing if it's not working.

F r u s t r a t i n g !

That's my rant of the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

huey1975 wrote: »
    in fairness atila i think you're screwed. anyway i dont think lizardmoon would approve of testing on bank holidays

FFS. Bit obsessed aren't we huey1975??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

FFS. Bit obsessed aren't we huey1975??

You know, I laughed out loud when Huey posted.
    There he was keeping his powder dry all along.

just finished covering the pit, happy days as its just started raining, contractor said it was really heavy , pit is massive ... said some of the cuts they where doing earlier where like lawn cuttings, really small pits

just finished covering the pit, happy days as its just started raining, contractor said it was really heavy , pit is massive ... said some of the cuts they where doing earlier where like lawn cuttings, really small pits

Tis the advice you are getting here from the men folk that is keeping you on the straight and narrow. :cool:

Just wondering did you graze before closing whelan1?

Just wondering did you graze before closing whelan1?
    ye i grazed it in march... we have heavy ground around here so turn out is later than alot of other farms ... looks good quality too

ye i grazed it in march... we have heavy ground around here so turn out is later than alot of other farms ... looks good quality too
    I was just wondering because i know you winter milk and the quality would be poor enough if not grazed.

• Advertisement

I was just wondering because i know you winter milk and the quality would be poor enough if not grazed.
    we always cut around the bank holiday weekend... quality is usually very good.... we also have alot of bulk on it ... i am only goin to do a small second cut - 20 acres - and then i have 25 acres of the triticale and lupins and 10 acres of grass to go in on top of that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement