Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Brought home 8 weanling heifers from dowra last saturday.
    got the head ate off me by the Senior Man about 2 of them...they were stone mad.
    For the sake of peace I'm going to push them on at another mart but do I need to test them again?
    they are 9mths old . TB tested on 15/5/12...
    I've got differing answers so far from vet and neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

was in ennis mart today briefly, seemed back a good bit from 2 weeks ago when last there, had a mini flood here around 5 o clock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

got the head ate off me by the Senior Man about 2 of them...they were stone mad.
    For the sake of peace I'm going to push them on at another mart but do I need to test them again?
    ring department and ask them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

I thought it was much quieter too. Maybe everybody just busy. I know I have been chasing my tail for the last month but on top of things now.

Reading a tb test tomorrow is the last of the panic. Herding today I noticed no lumps so fingers crossed.

How did the test go junior ???? Safe for another year i hope ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

You don't have to test them if you have had your own test in the last 12 months, or 4 months if any of your contiguous farmers have had more than 2 reactors in the last 4 months. The new regulations are a bit more complicated than before but you should be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

what weights prices wesley?

simx wrote: »
    what weights prices wesley?

2 x red lim 340kg - 760e
    3 x black lim 310kg - 660
    3 x aa 290kg - 605e

not bad I thought. nice well made types- well weaned but 2 of them are like wild deer. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Richk2012 wrote: »
    How did the test go junior ???? Safe for another year i hope ;)

All clear thank god. Two weanling bulls and a store heifer to Carnew on saturday now and maybe 6-8 weanlings to the weanling sale next wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

^^^ Wesley

do you have to hold them for 30 days without a dealer license?

• Advertisement

I'll check 4sure tomorrow but I think that only applies to blooded stock..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

naughto wrote: »
    this is what a ton bag that ill be getting
    40 kg bag of coal.its not your polish coal its called black gold
    i am using it in a open fire.
    153559091.jpg

its important that people are clear... they are getting a ton bag of sticks rather than a ton of sticks.. Its all down to the quality of the sticks and how seasoned they are... Its hard to tell but I'm guessing by the colour of the bark that its spruce/pine and if its not seasoned well it will be disappointing to burn in an open fire and may even spit allot.

As for the coal..
    Proper polish coal is probably the premium product on the market.. I would be very interested to see the country of origeon of the "black gold". Seriously it could be anything..
    "Texan" coal for instance will have a disdingtive brown colour, will light easily, bright lively flame but burns fast and leaves allot of ash similar to turf!.
    "American" coal is very dull black in colour and would need diesel on it to burn and it leaves allot of clinker in the grate..
    "French" coal has a bright black glassy appearence and is as near to Polish as you will get..
    Our native Arigna coal was/is very similar to American coal.. bad and dirty to burn!

Coal is not just coal... and chances are you're getting a blend, hopefully containing a good deal of polish coal.. And remember the "sample" isnt always what comes ito your door the next time, many lads have been caught on that ;)
    No matter how good the sample or the follow up deal I'd be very slow to buy any ammount of a new supplier.. Few bags at a time until your sure its good stuff..

Its a long time since I filled a bag of coal but like many things, its not just black stuff in a bag, same way that you don't just throw cattle in a field and then come back in a few months and bring them to the mart and make a fortune... for €0.30 I could get anything printed on the bag..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

bbam wrote: »
    its important that people are clear... they are getting a ton bag of sticks rather than a ton of sticks.. Its all down to the quality of the sticks and how seasoned they are... Its hard to tell but I'm guessing by the colour of the bark that its spruce/pine and if its not seasoned well it will be disappointing to burn in an open fire and may even spit allot.

Buy a moisture meter, that'll tell you what you're buying. something like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I bought a bag (25kg) of lamb nuts this morning - €9.20 :eek:

The same bag in the Spring was €7.40 - that's almost a 25% increase... :mad:

WTF ! ! !

I bought a bag (25kg) of lamb nuts this morning - €9.20 :eek:

The same bag in the Spring was €7.40 - that's almost a 25% increase... :mad:

WTF ! ! !

Wintering animals well is going to be a costly business, a gamble even :(

Can anyone tell me what day and time is Carnaross Mart weanling sales are on???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭tanko

Tuesday evening, starts at 6pm

tanko wrote: »
    Tuesday evening, starts at 6pm
    sure you will have time to go to the "day of action" and then to carnaross:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

pakalasa wrote: »

What Hourse power would i need to operate a front loader? :D

Nice way to cut out diseal on the farm but seriously can't see many lads hoppy up on black beatuy to heard the cows/sheep in! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

pgodkin wrote: »

CCTV, in the toilets. Fuikin perv -:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

one wonders what they were getting up to in the toilet with a set of sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Good loser

Detaching the seat to search for bugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Some lad getting his silage this morning in kinvara ... Happy out great day for it

hope to cut my spring wheat and lupins later this week:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Doing the last of the bbs today, still have maize to cut and straw to bale. Whatever about the south only getting 33% rainfall in September we got lots of it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

walked my silage this am in thick fog

nothing in it but clover and a serious thick coat of it. Bloody sheep, docks are their fault as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

walked my silage this am in thick fog

nothing in it but clover and a serious thick coat of it. Bloody sheep, docks are their fault as well

Baled the last of mine yesterday.. 8 bales in a small paddock, it is lovely stuff, bit of damage done but managable with the size 10 Welly.
    Manured in Mid-August.. I wonder if I would have been better buying bales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Tightening his nuts of course :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Muckit wrote: »
    Tightening his nuts of course :rolleyes:
    Your own will be tightened next weekend. Best of luck with it.
    finished up my own and off on the funneymoon tomorrow so won't be around for a while.

• Advertisement

1chippy wrote: »
    Your own will be tightened next weekend. Best of luck with it.
    finished up my own and off on the funneymoon tomorrow so won't be around for a while.
    best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Hope all went well with nuptials anywhere nice on funny moon sure there will be better weather than here .....,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

some poor lad is getting an earfull in dovea today. Their €319 EBI bull broke out of a pen and helped himself to w wheelbarrow full of meal. Died of bloat afterwards

some poor lad is getting an earfull in dovea today. Their €319 EBI bull broke out of a pen and helped himself to w wheelbarrow full of meal. Died of bloat afterwards
    must have been some size of a wheelbarrow:D

whelan1 wrote: »
    must have been some size of a wheelbarrow:D

How much meal would this take...
    We were told as kits always close the meal shed door or a cow will get in and kill herself eating meal... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I'm sorry it's terrible but that made me smile. I can just see the young fella with the carcass in the background getting the bol***king of his life all the while ankle deep in spilled meal.

Bought a battery fence there few weeks back. Marked down from €225 to €165. Thought I was getting a good deal.
    I see the same fence on Magenta direct today for €125.:confused:
    Note to self: Pay more attention to online prices from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Bought a battery fence there few weeks back. Marked down from €225 to €165. Thought I was getting a good deal.
    I see the same fence on Magenta direct today for €125.:confused:
    Note to self: Pay more attention to online prices from now on.

Some serious deals to be had on ebay for mains fences from time to time too. Couple of years ago I bought an Elephant mains fence from a company in the uk who were clearing stock for €120 inc postage. Magenta were selling the same one for €260 at the time. There must be some mark up on that kind of stuff!?

How many cheques do you write for the farm each year? Do you know what it costs?
    Just had a look at mine.
    I have a business current account with Bank of Ireland.
    Writing 92 cheques per year. Gave up buying anything on credit at the coop. Now buying at better value independent merchants, but pay on the day.

Anyway, cost of cheque book of 50 cheques €25 (government stamp duty).
    Bank of Ireland process charge per cheque €0.38.
    SO that's a cost of €0.88 per cheque written. That's €80.96 per annum for me.

Now if I get a Visa Debit card on the same account, I can cut down the number of cheques written by 90%. Say to nine cheques per year.
    There is no stamp duty on Debit cards, and bank transactions are cheaper at €0.24.
    This way I get my annual cost down to €7.92 for eight cheques plus €19.92 for 83 debit card tranactions. Total cost €27.84. Annual saving €53.12.

Not a huge amount, but better in my pocket than the banks and the governments. Buys 7 bags of beef nuts:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

How many cheques do you write for the farm each year? Do you know what it costs?
    Just had a look at mine.
    I have a business current account with Bank of Ireland.
    Writing 92 cheques per year. Gave up buying anything on credit at the coop. Now buying at better value independent merchants, but pay on the day.

Anyway, cost of cheque book of 50 cheques €25 (government stamp duty).
    Bank of Ireland process charge per cheque €0.38.
    SO that's a cost of €0.88 per cheque written. That's €80.96 per annum for me.

Now if I get a Visa Debit card on the same account, I can cut down the number of cheques written by 90%. Say to nine cheques per year.
    There is no stamp duty on Debit cards, and bank transactions are cheaper at €0.24.
    This way I get my annual cost down to €7.92 for eight cheques plus €19.92 for 83 debit card tranactions. Total cost €27.84. Annual saving €53.12.

Not a huge amount, but better in my pocket than the banks and the governments. Buys 7 bags of beef nuts:cool:

Just to be pedantic but there is stamp duty on ATM and Laser cards. It's 2.50 for an ATM card, 2.50 for a laser and for a combined card (most cards i belive) it is €5.

but yes you will still save some money

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

Not a huge amount, but better in my pocket than the banks and the governments. Buys 7 bags of beef nuts:cool:[/QUOTE]

You can't tell whoever you're paying to hang on to the card for a week though. Lot to be said for the old cheque book, I for one will be sorry if they go which I hear is in the pipeline for personal accs at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

reilig wrote: »
    Some serious deals to be had on ebay for mains fences from time to time too. Couple of years ago I bought an Elephant mains fence from a company in the uk who were clearing stock for €120 inc postage. Magenta were selling the same one for €260 at the time. There must be some mark up on that kind of stuff!?

I repaired my battery fencer there a while back, ...just corroded coil ends. Anyway, what really struck was how simple the circuit was. Really nothing to it. I reckon, you could make up your own, very cheaply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

jay gatsby wrote: »

You can't tell whoever you're paying to hang on to the card for a week though. Lot to be said for the old cheque book, I for one will be sorry if they go which I hear is in the pipeline for personal accs at least.[/QUOTE]

Yep by 2016 I believe cheque books will be a thing of the past

jay gatsby wrote: »

You can't tell whoever you're paying to hang on to the card for a week though. Lot to be said for the old cheque book, I for one will be sorry if they go which I hear is in the pipeline for personal accs at least.[/QUOTE]
    hate when you ask someone to hold on to the cheque for a week and they lodge it straight away:mad::mad:

scanned cows this morning scanned 90, 10 not in calf, happy enough... was dreading it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

scanned cows this morning scanned 90, 10 not in calf, happy enough... was dreading it
    Good result given the year that's in it

Will you dry off and fatten them or let them off straight away when they finished milking ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

trac1.jpg

trac.jpg
    sold.jpg

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Will you dry off and fatten them or let them off straight away when they finished milking ??
    will bring some of them to the mart and the rest i have a dealer will buy them from me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

just scanned sping calvers all 40 of them incalf ,now they were all covered over 90 days 1st may- 30 july , only 5 bulled in july so very happy,will stop around 20 july next year and so on every year to get a more compact herd:rolleyes::rolleyes:,i have delayed ai now by 10 days so will start at the end of this week for the winter calves.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement