Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭topgeas

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Just finished the scanning the cows

35 out of 35 heifers
    93 out of 100 cows

Pretty happy with that

13 out of 14 heifers
    67 out of 71 cows.
    very happy too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Muckit wrote: »
    Best of luck with the last of the harvest boys and girls.

I'm afraid I've sown the last of my wild oats.... heading up to aisle tomorrow ;)

Muckit
    Have fun Muckit, enjoy the big day.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

pakalasa wrote: »
    The Irish Salers cattle society will hold its annual Salers X Heifer Sale at Gort Mart Co. Galway. on TONIGHT 11th of October at 8pm.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/3996976

Might be worth a spin over, all going well i will have a report for ye tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Muckit wrote: »
    Best of luck with the last of the harvest boys and girls.

I'm afraid I've sown the last of my wild oats.... heading up to aisle tomorrow ;)

Muckit

Best of luck Muckit and enjoy the day. Got married myself earlier this year and the only advice I'd give is enjoy the day cause its over in a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

Muckit

What ever you do, don't let her eat the cake!

Otherwise the main job goes down the drain!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

topgeas wrote: »
    13 out of 14 heifers
    67 out of 71 cows.
    very happy too
    Good going

I was fearing the worst considering the year was in it but happy now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

towzer2010 wrote: »
    Best of luck Muckit and enjoy the day. Got married myself earlier this year and the only advice I'd give is enjoy the day cause its over in a shot.

Jaysus you're all getting married. I'd better find myself someone soon or there'll be no land left to marry into ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Jaysus you're all getting married. I'd better find myself someone soon or there'll be no land left to marry into ;)

jebus the world is turned on it s head altogether, sure its the woman thats supposed to be bringing more land to the equation..not he other way around ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Might be worth a spin over, all going well i will have a report for ye tomorrow.

do, a few pics would be good too.
    jebus the world is turned on it s head altogether, sure its the woman thats supposed to be bringing more land to the equation..not he other way around ;)

Its the only way to go lads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

No pics I'm afraid but I did post them as youngsters somewhere on the farming thread.
    Crossmolina Euro bull (CH)- 350kg- €920
    Kilmoney Bruce- (BA)- 335kg- €900
    Westside Bob- (BB)- 340kg- €925

Roughly all marchish born calves.
    Very happy with my first blonde too:)
    You're reason to be cheerful:-). Good weight gains too for the year that's in it

• Advertisement

Not when you've an older brother to contend with:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

whelan1 wrote: »
    what did the vet treat him with, never heard of it before

just pen strep for 3 days and the swelling went down and the hardness left him but just want to get him checked out

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Best of luck muckit

Sure ya can t be happy all your life........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

remember it was the second mouse that got the cheese, no need to rush the marriage thing. the aulder the fiddle the sweeter the tune, hey Kovu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

good growth these days:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

had you a high germination % down through the years

Nah, he was at mass every Sunday like the rest of us praying for crop failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

the lim cow that put out her calf bed last year just calved all ok ,she calved on 15 sept last year, so not too bad considering,still dont know what it is a bull or heifer ,as mother says its quite all right i am looking after it.:D:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

leg wax wrote: »
    the lim cow that put out her calf bed last year just calved all ok ,she calved on 15 sept last year, so not too bad considering,still dont know what it is a bull or heifer ,as mother says its quite all right i am looking after it.:D:eek:
    You know you've a mad cow, when you're out in the field with a pair of binoculars trying to see if it is a bull or heifer. Been there - done that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

did you make it over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

Anybody on here go to the walk in Johnstown Castle earlier this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭tanko

Does anyone think that the deadline for slurry spreading will be extended again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

tanko wrote: »
    Does anyone think that the deadline for slurry spreading will be extended again?

I'll be surprised if this happens

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Anyone goin to Eddie lynches springer sale in Elphin this eve, let us know how it goes

remember it was the second mouse that got the cheese, no need to rush the marriage thing. the aulder the fiddle the sweeter the tune, hey Kovu

;):D

did you make it over?

No, got held up in the evening and didnt make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

had an appointment in town at 10 this morning , so got milking done, offloaded kids to school and did few jobs around the yard, went to check dry cows- only have 7 left to calve- could see from a distance one of them was flat out. I thought she was dead but her leg moved as i shouted at her as i running to her:cool: She was calving, head only coming, 2 legs bent back:eek: i got one leg straightened but couldnt get the other, rang my dad , between the 2 of us we got the other leg but it seemed funny ,thought it was a back leg and was afraid to take the calf any further , so rang vet..... half an hour later she came- got jeep stuck in the field in the process- she took the calf with one leg, i was on the jack and there was serious pressure on it, calf was dry, eventually got him out . Massive dead friesian bull:mad: Gave the cow a few shots and she is up now.... think it will take my back a while to recover though

had an appointment in town at 10 this morning , so got milking done, offloaded kids to school and did few jobs around the yard, went to check dry cows- only have 7 left to calve- could see from a distance one of them was flat out. I thought she was dead but her leg moved as i shouted at her as i running to her:cool: She was calving, head only coming, 2 legs bent back:eek: i got one leg straightened but couldnt get the other, rang my dad , between the 2 of us we got the other leg but it seemed funny ,thought it was a back leg and was afraid to take the calf any further , so rang vet..... half an hour later she came- got jeep stuck in the field in the process- she took the calf with one leg, i was on the jack and there was serious pressure on it, calf was dry, eventually got him out . Massive dead friesian bull:mad: Gave the cow a few shots and she is up now.... think it will take my back a while to recover though
    Sorry to hear it. Was the calf dead or deformed to start with? Or just a big brute that spent too long in the process of calving? At least it sounds like the cow should be ok and it's her milk you're after anyway.

Just got a text from 50123 number from the Dep of Ag stating the SFP start next week. The next line gave me a laugh "Pls be patient" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

just do it wrote: »
    Just got a text from 50123 number from the Dep of Ag stating the SFP start next week. The next line gave me a laugh "Pls be patient" :D
    Did they say if i was getting mine!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Thats not good but sure look at the positive , you would be in worse humour if it was a dead fresian heifer calf .

And it would be worse again if the cow couldnt get up and get into the parlour within a week or so .

And yad really have the hump if you didnt get a chance to check her this mornin and come back this evening to have a dead cow on your hands.

Every dark cloud has a silver lining somewhere in it ;)

Sorry to hear it. Was the calf dead or deformed to start with? Or just a big brute that spent too long in the process of calving? At least it sounds like the cow should be ok and it's her milk you're after anyway.
    just a big brute.... glad we where using the vets brand new jack as mine would probably have slipped under the pressure. Got her back to yard and put her into straw bedded shed with another cow, the bitch head butted her and knocked her down:mad::mad: Anyways shes up again now and eating meal and silage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

why didnt i get that text :(

simx wrote: »
    why didnt i get that text :(
    did ya put your mobile number on the sfp application form ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

did ya put your mobile number on the sfp application form ?

90% sure i did,i cant remember:P if some dollars come tuesday i wont be forming a complaint for not getting the text :D

just a big brute.... glad we where using the vets brand new jack as mine would probably have slipped under the pressure. Got her back to yard and put her into straw bedded shed with another cow, the bitch head butted her and knocked her down:mad::mad: Anyways shes up again now and eating meal and silage
    Does a hard calving like that knock a dairy cow's milk yield much?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Has everyone got the disadvantaged yet?

nope, dual claims seems to be the problem

Does a hard calving like that knock a dairy cow's milk yield much?
    sometimes, in this case i am just glad the cow is alive... will give her a wash out and more injections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Not yet should have it this week though due to an over claim of something like 0.0001 ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

sometimes, in this case i am just glad the cow is alive... will give her a wash out and more injections
    had a elderly cow like that last year, took ages to get the calf out bone dry, she never got up killer:(

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »
    had a elderly cow like that last year, took ages to get the calf out bone dry, she never got up killer:(
    backs of my legs are killing me today , so can only imagine how the cow feels:cool: had to lift her this morning as she got herself stuck in the corner of the shed:mad: but shes grand now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

No, they are still processing them. They now have a separate area set up to take phone calls from farmers. I phoned twice yesterday and could not get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Got through yesterday, 3-5 working days i should have it.

backs of my legs are killing me today , so can only imagine how the cow feels:cool: had to lift her this morning as she got herself stuck in the corner of the shed:mad: but shes grand now
    had a elderly cow like that last year, took ages to get the calf out bone dry, she never got up killerfrown.png

Did either of ye consider getting the vet to do a cesarean. Done right it's a good bit easier on the cow than puing with a leg back, even than a really hard pull on a v.big calf. We'd often did two per year. None for the past few years thankfully. If the vet knows their job and are meticuous about hygeine you would expect at least 50% to go back in calf.

If any of ye want a bit of a laugh read the first post in this thread :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81229036#post81229036

Did either of ye consider getting the vet to do a cesarean. Done right it's a good bit easier on the cow than puing with a leg back, even than a really hard pull on a v.big calf. We'd often did two per year. None for the past few years thankfully. If the vet knows their job and are meticuous about hygeine you would expect at least 50% to go back in calf.
    she handled the cow and said she would be able to get it out the normal way

Nuff said so.

If that cow is unsteady and you're leaving her in the loose shed for a few days try feeding her with her own milk if you are taking a bit from her. Stops the energy loss. Lost 3 out of 4 cows who went down on me last year. The one we saved got her own milk. She'd have a go at any bucket that was around the parlour for a couple of weeks after we got her going, mad looking for milk but it didn't become a habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Do you have her back legs tied together???
    We always tie them together to stop her doing the splits , leaving enough slack to walk around .

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Do you have her back legs tied together???
    We always tie them together to stop her doing the splits , leaving enough slack to walk around .
    ye i do, but she keeps lying in the corners of the shed and cant get up, had to lift her again this evening, she is in a well bedded straw shed... too cold to leave her out in a paddock after the ordeal she went through

its bloody impossible win in Ireland nowadays, went out tonight for a drink with a friend, 40 mile round trip, speed van on the way there around midnight clocked me at 103 km on the only 2km of road thats decent, and speed van at different location at 3 am clocked me doing same speed again. **** me, after doing well over a 1000 miles this week its annoying as Im always very conscious of limits.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement