Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

That luck penny didnt bring too much luck with it so bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

its bloody impossible win in Ireland nowadays, went out tonight for a drink with a friend, 40 mile round trip, speed van on the way there around midnight clocked me at 103 km on the only 2km of road thats decent, and speed van at different location at 3 am clocked me doing same speed again. **** me, after doing well over a 1000 miles this week its annoying as Im always very conscious of limits.

Was it an 80 or 100km limit on the road? Chances are if it were a 100 you'll be fine.

Cousin of my wife got caught dropping her daughter into football. Letter came as per usual within a week, then next day another one came with same road and date on it. So she rings up to explain they have sent the letter on the double. The woman on the other end if the phone was ever so polite ; "no dear, look at the time on the two letters. You were caught twice, in the same spot within 20 minutes, going in each direction"

€180 and four points on the licence. Feckin sick as a pig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

bbam wrote: »
    Was it an 80 or 100km limit on the road? Chances are if it were a 100 you'll be fine.

100 limit, its just like that time of a Saturday night, there are little enough people going out for a social meet up as it is and IMV the consequences will be seen later in the year especially within our industry I fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

there s a fella near us who went up the country to buy a ford 5000.the fella on the phone promised him she was "mint" but when got up there she was wrecked.he was after travelling 4 or 5 hours so instead of getting cross he spotted that he was a bit of a dealer so he started to tell yer man about the grand 4000 he had at home,"mint" he told him.now this tractor was the "scraper"tractor so you can imagine what she was like and yer man came down the next weekend.alot more satisfying than just getting thick about it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

keep going wrote: »
    there s a fella near us who went up the country to buy a ford 5000.the fella on the phone promised him she was "mint" but when got up there she was wrecked.he was after travelling 4 or 5 hours so instead of getting cross he spotted that he was a bit of a dealer so he started to tell yer man about the grand 4000 he had at home,"mint" he told him.now this tractor was the "scraper"tractor so you can imagine what she was like and yer man came down the next weekend.alot more satisfying than just getting thick about it:D

right way to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

If any of ye want a bit of a laugh read the first post in this thread :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81229036#post81229036

Brilliant !!

played along with one or two myself (including one who wanted me to ship a bale handler to nigeria )

however didn't have the patience and usually told them to F.O.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'd be very carefull replying to e-mails like those. A little bit of googling and you can find out a lot about people from the smallest bit of information like mobile phones, e-mail adresses etc. Identify theft is a lot more common than people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

pakalasa wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'd be very carefull replying to e-mails like those. A little bit of googling and you can find out a lot about people from the smallest bit of information like mobile phones, e-mail adresses etc. Identify theft is a lot more common than people think.

I use spamex on open dns server.

http://www.spamex.com/
    http://www.opendns.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

lifted cow this morning and this evening, dont think i will be milking her again, best i can hope for will be a factory job in a few months... eating meal and silage and gave her milk today, she doesnt even try to get up herself, injected her today as i thought it might make her try to get up, she didnt budge

• Advertisement

One reason I hate calving cows indoors is that the newborn calf finds it hard to stand without slipping all over the place. Same for a cow that has been down a while. You need a real deep bed of straw which means it's not going to be the cleanest. I wonder how would a large rubber mat work in a calving pen or for downer cows. No worry then about slipping and you could wash it down easily too. Less straw used too.

the pen she is in has a loadof dung in it, was actually going to clean it out on friday, think she is afraid to try to get up herself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭L driver

anyone try sand and/or woodchip for calving shed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Anyone get SFP today?

reilig wrote: »
    Anyone get SFP today?
    didnt look, but if something is not in your account over the weekend it wont be in it on a monday iykwim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

whelan1 wrote: »
    didnt look, but if something is not in your account over the weekend it wont be in it on a monday iykwim

Actually it can be - if i initiate a transfer to an account of the same bank i am with today then it arrives today - nearly instant actually.

It depends completly on the type of transfer set up and where it is going

• Advertisement

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Actually it can be - if i initiate a transfer to an account of the same bank i am with today then it arrives today - nearly instant actually.

i suppose i am relating to childrens allowance payments, if its a bank holiday weekend it will be in my account on a saturday instead of a tuesday

just checked its not in, wasnt expecting it as they said 16 october is the earliest they can pay it out

not knowing but, with allot of such payments its first paid into a central account and then divvied up to the individual accounts so would take a few days. imagine you lot when the SFP disappears and there will be no money coming :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Tipp Man wrote: »

The funny (ridiculous) thing is, that business internet banking isnt nearly as good as personal internet banking in this regard.

My work bank with BOI and I know they're forever grumbling about the things that will take 24 hours, or overnight, or can't be done after half five on the business banking that they could do with ease on their own internet banking.

JohnBoy wrote: »
    The funny (ridiculous) thing is, that business internet banking isnt nearly as good as personal internet banking in this regard.

My work bank with BOI and I know they're forever grumbling about the things that will take 24 hours, or overnight, or can't be done after half five on the business banking that they could do with ease on their own internet banking.

allot of the personal stuff that you think comes in immediately is actually only shadow posted. so it really isnt in till the following morning. done a transfer from BOI to Ulster bank customer on Friday and he wont see it in his account till wednesday at the earliest. Another thing that really annoys me is that the same fees are charged for online transactions as well as manual.

Compare it to the CMMS I noticed animals came into my herd late yesterday evening, These were bought at a mart on friday and they get a computer literate person to update the live system on a sunday evening, very much a pencil and paper mart:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I wonder how would a large rubber mat work in a calving pen or for downer cows. No worry then about slipping and you could wash it down easily too. Less straw used too.

Between our slats and calving pen there is an area of some 6' with rubber mats. You would think it's grippy enough but it's not really, I have noticed the odd cow struggle to get grip. As you say a dry outdoor paddock is hard to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Interbank times are variable enough, but I've definitely done it on more than one occasion where I moved money between my own accounts, and withdrew it straight away. so to some degree it works anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

If any of ye want a bit of a laugh read the first post in this thread :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81229036#post81229036
    Cheers Redz, that fella could be the next John B Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

Anyone get SFP today

did u fill this out online iam nearly sure my brother got his thurs/fri last week.
    as i dont own a farm myself iam just a go for.:D:D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anyone check the old current ac on line yet?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

blue5000 wrote: »
    Anyone check the old current ac on line yet?

nothing in it :(

simx wrote: »
    nothing in it :(

lots of people this year will reply,

SFP in the bank, nothing still in the account:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

lots of people this year will reply,

SFP in the bank, nothing still in the account:(
    nothin in mine either

• Registered Users Posts: 18 hamletsmoker

No SFP in account yet. Lots of crows waiting on the gate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

When is the dead line for puttin out slurry this year, heard pleas for an extension from IFA but wondered was it confirmed in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Bodacious wrote: »
    When is the dead line for puttin out slurry this year, heard pleas for an extension from IFA but wondered was it confirmed in the end?
    End of this month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

Bodacious wrote: »

Extension was granted to end October.
    IFA, then showed their gratitude, by paying a social call, on the people of Dublin:rolleyes:

My cow can now stand up on her own and dropped her cleanings. Thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Great news whealan 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Suckler

That's good news. Was keepin half an eye on this, had a cow go down similiar before, got the calf out, boney, not necesarily big but it didnt survive long, Cow kept trying to crawl to get back with the others.But couldn't get up. Vet advised to get a pair of hobbles on her if she got up but she only lasted a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 hamletsmoker

Just got a text from dep of ag saying 50% of sfp issued. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Just got it too... wahooo....!

:D:D:D

Just got it too... wahooo....!

:D:D:D

I have some overpriced cattle for sale, great way to spend your SFP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I have some overpriced cattle for sale, great way to spend your SFP

I don't doubt for a second Bob that you have overpriced cattle ;)

But everyone knows that people don't keep cattle for profit, tis sheep you need to look at ;)

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

hello lads, i was wondering would anybody know where i could find the photos of an anti backing bar that a man on these forums made himself it was really good, if it helps i think it was green dont quote me on that tho.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Good to hear . Are you going to dry her off and fatten her or is she sound enough to milk

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    hello lads, i was wondering would anybody know where i could find the photos of an anti backing bar that a man on these forums made himself it was really good, if it helps i think it was green dont quote me on that tho.

thanks

Is this the one? I can put up some other photos of it, if you like.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056212709&page=120

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Not a happy camper today
    Found a fr bull calf of mine gorged to death by either a pack of dogs or foxs, hard to know which done it. Calf was healthy but a bit small and in back field with 30 other fr bull calves @ 9 mth old.
    Never happened to me before

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Good to hear . Are you going to dry her off and fatten her or is she sound enough to milk
    she hasnt been out of the shed since friday, has no springing what so ever , just glad she's alive ... will just fatten her up and factory her

no i cant find the anti backing bar in the link, or dont think i can ee any backing bar in that link, it might have been one of the clare lad who made it? maybe even you? any chance you might have miss linked it, it was a very simple idea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

no i cant find the anti backing bar in the link, or dont think i can ee any backing bar in that link, it might have been one of the clare lad who made it? maybe even you? any chance you might have miss linked it, it was a very simple idea

When I saw your first post looking for this my immediate thought was that Pakalasa had made it.
    Maybe the pic was in the Labour saving and general guntering thread rather than the photo one. I'm sure the man himself will sort ya out:)

Tipp Man is right. I see it in that link alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

I see a green backing bar when i open Paka's link:confused:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/224975/202583.jpg

this was the one i was looking for, sorry if it was in the original link but i couldnt find it, great piece of DIY'ing

id say i have a first calver throwing a calf tonight:(.oh well as long as there is only one

saranac1 wrote: »
    Not a happy camper today
    Found a fr bull calf of mine gorged to death by either a pack of dogs or foxs, hard to know which done it. Calf was healthy but a bit small and in back field with 30 other fr bull calves @ 9 mth old.
    Never happened to me before
    are you he didnt die first and was then eaten,unusual to see a live calf attacked

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement