Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Richk2012 wrote: »
    20 Elite Flag Limousin
    15 Elite Forever Limousin
    Both bulls from the one cow, Ardlea Coillte. They must think a lot of her to test two at the same time.

What is the story with the Ardlea and Elite herds. Who owns them? I see a few names associated with them. Not sure of the connection.
    Please don't print full names, initials will do. Thanks.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Ardlea is owned by D.T I think. Don't know about elite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Had the hoofman in yesterday (Gab) to anyone in my area and the cow I bought last harvest that my father scoffed at, has the loveliest hairy LM calf. The hoofman reckoned he was for Elphin in Feb on the show day. Should I? Or will I get pic first?

jimn.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Fierce quiet in here these days... I suppose lads have better things to do... :)

Great weather the past few days down around these parts, nice dry days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

just do it wrote: »
    I got some a few as well:
    • LM bull Elite Flag (EFZ) x12 straws
    • CH bull BALLYLANNON FRANKEY (FYB) x10 straws
    I wonder is a cheap gene ireland straw a false economy? Saving a fiver/straw and possibly ending up with an animal worth €100 less:(. I hope they're selecting them because they feel they will be good bulls!

I've a few due next Spring from the 2011 catalogue to the CH DZP and Simmental APZ. I missed out on the my first two choices from that catalogue so this year I ordered the day after the catalogue arrive ensure I got the ones I wanted;)

I know what you mean .
    Almost false economy , saving a small amount on purchasing the straw and losing a big amount the day of the sale :rolleyes: .
    Im proberly not the type of customer they are looking to do business with , but il try them in a few cows this year . The rest of the straws will stay in the flask until more reliable stats are given

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

This property register site where u can see back as far as Jan 2010 what houses in your area sold for... Is that the same for land ? Or do you guys/girls see this happening in the future in land prices per acre being compulsory published?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Bodacious wrote: »
    This property register site where u can see back as far as Jan 2010 what houses in your area sold for... Is that the same for land ? Or do you guys/girls see this happening in the future in land prices per acre being compulsory published?!

It depends on how the property tax thing works out... If there will be a tax / rates on land, then you might see a similar site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I got some a few as well:
    • LM bull Elite Flag (EFZ) x12 straws
    • CH bull BALLYLANNON FRANKEY (FYB) x10 straws
    I wonder is a cheap gene ireland straw a false economy? Saving a fiver/straw and possibly ending up with an animal worth €100 less:(. I hope they're selecting them because they feel they will be good bulls!

I've a few due next Spring from the 2011 catalogue to the CH DZP and Simmental APZ. I missed out on the my first two choices from that catalogue so this year I ordered the day after the catalogue arrive ensure I got the ones I wanted;)

You would have to think that in their own right they would all be decent bulls, on par or better than many stockbulls out there. I suppose the big thing is just not knowing how each are breeding or what they cross best with. It's more of a gamble, but an educated one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Had the hoofman in yesterday (Gab) to anyone in my area and the cow I bought last harvest that my father scoffed at, has the loveliest hairy LM calf. The hoofman reckoned he was for Elphin in Feb on the show day. Should I? Or will I get pic first?

jimn.jpg

Nice calf. Gay is probably the best hoof man in the country! He knows his stuff with cattle too and you will probably be competing with one of his heifer's if you bring her to elphin that day. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

jimn.jpg

Why not go for it. The worst that will happen is he won't win ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

for any one that uses scissors to cut cows tails , theres a 5 pack of scissors in lidl for €2.99 and they're a great job:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

whelan1 wrote: »
    for any one that uses scissors to cut cows tails , theres a 5 pack of scissors in lidl for €2.99 and they're a great job:)

I got a tin snips at lidl, years ago to do a bit of cutting on some bit of DIY stuff I was doing at the time.
    Been using it since to cut cows tails. Super job. Slices through hair and caked in dirt, with the greatest of ease. No messing with doing little bits at a time. It will snip through, a good handfull in one go. Still as good as ever. Must be ten years plus at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

reilig wrote: »
    Nice calf. Gay is probably the best hoof man in the country! He knows his stuff with cattle too and you will probably be competing with one of his heifer's if you bring her to elphin that day. ;)

Agreed. He's a good fellow surely and not a bit excitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

That's gas I got them sunday evening too for same thing ... I thought it was aldi I got them tho but could be in both

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TMSHope

The weather is to get very cold at the weekend, down to single figures. Think I'll have to put the cows in at the weekend. They are out eating a field of aftergrass.

• Advertisement

Agreed. He's a good fellow surely and not a bit excitable.

Strong as an ox. I've seen farriers with less muscle! Good bit of craic too, me and him like to wind the auld fella up:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Nice calf Kovu.

I reckon every slurry tank in the country is on the move today, hope the nimbys don't get too upset over the country air:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Lovely calf Kovu.

Ya Blue its slurry everywhere the last few days around here.

Nice pungent aroma in the air as I tell my non farming wife:D

I know this was posted before but I advertised something on DoneDeal yesterday. Now I dont know whether it was a full moon or the asylum let people have their monthly phone call, but whatever it was I got loads of calls from what can only be described as lunatics.

One tosser from Cavan even blinded me out of it for not answering his call when I was out of coverage. Crazy stuff. Why do these nutters ring? They really must have no one else to talk to. I'd say only about one in 10 calls were actually genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

towzer2010 wrote: »
    Lovely calf Kovu.

Ya Blue its slurry everywhere the last few days around here.

Nice pungent aroma in the air as I tell my non farming wife:D

I know this was posted before but I advertised something on DoneDeal yesterday. Now I dont know whether it was a full moon or the asylum let people have their monthly phone call, but whatever it was I got loads of calls from what can only be described as lunatics.

One tosser from Cavan even blinded me out of it for not answering his call when I was out of coverage. Crazy stuff. Why do these nutters ring? They really must have no one else to talk to. I'd say only about one in 10 calls were actually genuine.

id say that the norm for donedeal, i sold a bull last year..nothing but tossers called, one genuine caller and he bought him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

towzer2010 wrote: »
    I'd say only about one in 10 calls were actually genuine.

Yes.. we buy/sell through DD a fair bit and there are some very "special" people out there ready to call.

I got a text from one lad offering half the asking price in cash, today "if I was very badly stuck" nice lad !!

• Advertisement

id say that the norm for donedeal, i sold a bull last year..nothing but tossers called, one genuine caller and he bought him

Put one item on DD, few years back. Was nearly driven round the block, with nuts, calling.
    Lesson learned. I now have an old phone, with a pay as you go sim. I use that as my DD phone. Once I sell the item, I switch it off, and let the headbangers, hammer away at it:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Put one item on DD, few years back. Was nearly driven round the block, with nuts, calling.
    Lesson learned. I now have an old phone, with a pay as you go sim. I use that as my DD phone. Once I sell the item, I switch it off, and let the headbangers, hammer away at it:cool:

now thats a good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Or you could put SOLD on the add....:)

pakalasa wrote: »

Doesnt stop them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

pakalasa wrote: »
    Then theyd ring to ask if it was really sold.
    Had a lad arrive once to buy a digger that wasnt for sale it took an hour to convince him that it wasnt for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

eh, ye do realise you can mark an item as sold, and then it is actually removed from the site?

sold a jeep on there a few weeks ago, not a bother with it.

The amount of clowns does vary depending on whats being sold I find but
    Yeah, I do the very same but with a little extra...
    I put it straight to voicemail and it goes like this:
    Hello?........(5 second pause).......Thats right, its sold...beep!

A bit cruel to that genuine 5% of callers but the others will yap away and some of the voicemails are priceless!!

also the amount of people that ring really late at night like wtf:eek::eek::eek: we turn our phones off at 10pm often had missed calls from half 12 at night about ads, so what we do now is ring them back at 6am:D

Indeed! Late night callers are another feature. Probably after coming from the pub.
    The 6am callback is a good one. If you don't get enthusiasism in the morning, then theres no enthusiasism for that day- (ancient Sligo proverb)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

JohnBoy wrote: »
    eh, ye do realise you can mark an item as sold, and then it is actually removed from the site?

sold a jeep on there a few weeks ago, not a bother with it.

I know you can but my add is gone and I'm still getting calls.

Great idea about the second phone. Defo do that for my next add.

• Advertisement

Cow-heifer for killing that's getting 4 saucepans of nuts a day stopped eating them today. Build up of acid or her stomach off sorts? She's getting plenty of silage ad-lib too. Gave her a good heap of ivy there now to see if it may be mineral lacking. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Kevin1150

Cow-heifer for killing that's getting 4 saucepans of nuts a day stopped eating them today. Build up of acid or her stomach off sorts? She's getting plenty of silage ad-lib too. Gave her a good heap of ivy there now to see if it may be mineral lacking. Any ideas?

4 saucepans be roughly 8-10kgs? If so I would try to go another few kilos to adlib meal gradually along with good clean straw adlib and cut the silage out at the same time. Silage and a good bit of meal can cause the acid.

Kevin1150 wrote: »
    4 saucepans be roughly 8-10kgs? If so I would try to go another few kilos to adlib meal gradually along with good clean straw adlib and cut the silage out at the same time. Silage and a good bit of meal can cause the acid.

Sausepans, come in a vast variety of sizes:cool:
    I'm using a saucepan myself, for dishing meal out af a barrell.
    Filled with calf crunch level to the brim, it contains 0.8 kgs.
    Filled with beef nuts level to the brim, it contains, 1.1 kgs.

So the OP, needs to "borrow", the kitchen scales;)

Sausepans, come in a vast variety of sizes:cool:
    I'm using a saucepan myself, for dishing meal out af a barrell.
    Filled with calf crunch level to the brim, it contains 0.8 kgs.
    Filled with beef nuts level to the brim, it contains, 1.1 kgs.

So the OP, needs to "borrow", the kitchen scales;)

I'll rephrase it, 2kg a pan so 8kg. she was weaned onto them gradually in the first place 2 weeks ago and she went off them just now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

bit of hay might be good for her if you have some

Hay we have is last years but a mix of half and half may be better than full silage maybe?:confused:

is she eating otherwise?

is she eating otherwise?

Yea, eating grand at the silage and picked a bit of hay. Horsed into the armful of ivy I threw into her though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭stanflt

is she eating otherwise?

that picture of the crash you shared on fb happened up the road from me the other night- no boby injured tk.

tractor on left(jd) jack knifed and came down the hill sideways, broke the drawbar on trailer and ploughed into the nh who was coming in the other direction- luckily nobody else involved

• Advertisement

Who told you it was acid buid-up, your vet? Bicarbonate is good to neutralise acid i.e. dose her with bread soda and even if it does nothing for her, it won't do her any harm;)

Sold 3 dry cows at mart today.
    1. 6yo CH ready to kill. 725kg made €1,020
    2. 4yo LM 545kg made €920
    3. 2y6m CH who'd the worst weanling this Spring made €825 (470kg).
    All 3 weaned about 5 weeks and on 2kg of meal/day since. First ready to kill, 2nd could do with a small bit more and 3rd needs more, or might have been bought for breeding (I hope not!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Sold 3 dry cows at mart today.
    1. 6yo CH ready to kill. 725kg made €1,020
    2. 4yo LM 545kg made €920
    3. 2y6m CH who'd the worst weanling this Spring made €825 (470kg).
    All 3 weaned about 5 weeks and on 2kg of meal/day since. First ready to kill, 2nd could do with a small bit more and 3rd needs more, or might have been bought for breeding (I hope not!).

a 470 kg ch that had a calf on her all summer. something wrong there me thinks

adne wrote: »
    a 470 kg ch that had a calf on her all summer. something wrong there me thinks
    Not really. She calved at 23m but was only bred as I'm increasing numbers. She was weaned early and not put back in-calf. She calved herself so it can't be said she was too young, small etc. She just isn't good enough quality. Females that calf at 2yo remain behind in weight between 2 and 3yo but by 4yo they have caught up. And if they remain as a cow they've produced one extra weanling over their lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭limo_100

Not really. She calved at 23m but was only bred as I'm increasing numbers. She was weaned early and not put back in-calf. She calved herself so it can't be said she was too young, small etc. She just isn't good enough quality. Females that calf at 2yo remain behind in weight between 2 and 3yo but by 4yo they have caught up. And if they remain as a cow they've produced one each weanling over their lifetime.

i always wait and leave to calf at 3year old. In my experience if they get bulled to young they end up staying small and butty and never catch up. Im not able to get them to grow much once there bulled

limo_100 wrote: »

i always wait and leave to calf at 3year old. In my experience if they get bulled to young they end up staying small and butty and never catch up. Im not able to get them to grow much once there bulled
    Surely that's not a bad thing if they're job in life is to reproduce? They're genetic merit is the same regardless?

• Advertisement

One thing I'd say is I was surprised at their weights. I thought they were all a bit heavier by 50-100kg each. It's pushing me towards getting a weighing scales sooner rather than later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭limo_100

Surely that's not a bad thing if they're job in life is to reproduce? They're genetic merit is the same regardless?

I no what you mean but it never works out like that they'd always have smaller calves and end up getting culled off after a couple of years. dont think any of is gona get it right all the time

limo_100 wrote: »

I no what you mean but it never works out like that they'd always have smaller calves and end up getting culled off after a couple of years. dont think any of is gona get it right all the time
    I decided this year to split the cows calving and have 2 distinct 9wk periods at autumn and spring. One of the advantages of this I see is having springers calf down at 30m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

I decided this year to split the cows calving and have 2 distinct 9wk periods at autumn and spring. One of the advantages of this I see is having springers calf down at 30m.

You will see the merits of this, there can be a big difference in weight and size between a heifer at 23 months and 30 months especially continental heifers they really flex out from 20 months to 30 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

One thing I'd say is I was surprised at their weights. I thought they were all a bit heavier by 50-100kg each. It's pushing me towards getting a weighing scales sooner rather than later
    so if you had known their weight would you have kept them for longer?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement