Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

leg wax wrote: »
    so if you had known their weight would you have kept them for longer?
    Not this year. I'd to get rid of a few to make the silage last. Otherwise I would have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Cow-heifer for killing that's getting 4 saucepans of nuts a day stopped eating them today. Build up of acid or her stomach off sorts? She's getting plenty of silage ad-lib too. Gave her a good heap of ivy there now to see if it may be mineral lacking. Any ideas?

Ivy? Can you elaborate on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Charlaois cow calved yesterday at lunch time .
    The first Crossmolina Euro CSQ calf ive had .
    Decent size heifer calf but nothing extreme .

Checked both of them at around 4ish and realised calf still hadnt sucked .
    Got both of them into shed and gave cow a handful of meal in bucket , although she that quiet she would stand regardless .

Got the calf sucking and after about two minutes i heard a sort of hissing noise .
    Looked to see was it the cow pis*ing but her tail wasnt raised .
    It was the calf's navel spraying blood . It was pumping out that fast it was making a noise as it hit the straw on the floor of the shed .
    Luckily there was two of us there and i clamped it wit my hand while we tied it up.

Iv had cows in the past that have pulled the cord out of the calf while cleaning them off , and the calves had bled out .
    But never have i seen it happen with no warning such as yesterday .
    Any one else ever expierence this ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Today's Irishman's Diary is about the unique style of farming in the Burren http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/1026/1224325734721.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Some weather we're having eh? Must be well over a week since it rained here. Ideal weather for weaning calves. Once the first two nights were over, they all settled down. Can't beat cold dry crispy weather to keep pneumonia at bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

l'm back!
    thanks for all the well wishes guys n gals.on herselves I phone on bus back from airport. Will reply better once I get my hands on a laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Muckit wrote: »
    l'm back!
    thanks for all the well wishes guys n gals.on herselves I phone on bus back from airport. Will reply better once I get my hands on a laptop

ah b*****ks, taugh you wouldnt be back for ages yet:D. are you wrecked from all the going, bet the lady has drastically changed already for the lady you married

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

l'm back!

Welcome back Mr Muckit! The place wasn't the same without you :)

gozunda wrote: »

An old cure. A sick animal that won't eat anything else will often eat ivy. They say if she eats it she'll live, if not.......

l'm back!
    Well had you a good time? Your just back in time to get the slurry out before the extended deadline of Oct 31st ;)

• Advertisement

Now that I've mentioned slurry, I've just emptied a half tank yesterday. It was fully emptied during the summer so it just indicates the amount of time the cattle have been in the last 3 months :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

just do it wrote: »
    An old cure. A sick animal that won't eat anything else will often eat ivy. They say if she eats it she'll live, if not.......

Interesting stuff. I always took that ivy was poisoness to animals. But if they eat it as a form of purge I can understand that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Got back aswell today. got off the plane and home to stick in the last of the cows. found nearly all the weanlings coughing badly so dosed a share of them and i'll get the rest on Monday.

1chippy wrote: »
    Got back aswell today. got off the plane and home to stick in the last of the cows. found nearly all the weanlings coughing badly so dosed a share of them and i'll get the rest on Monday.
    Nothing like farming to "ground" you! Welcome back and hope you'd a great time :)

Saw a trailer load of freshly made silage bales on the road today. Sad thing is it may be better than some of the stuff made during the summer

lovely morning back today. arrived into yard to find a super u grading bull weanling stretched out cold. thats 6 of this years calves gone this year. hopefully i will get him in to be tested up north tomorrow.

lovely morning back today. arrived into yard to find a super u grading bull weanling stretched out cold.

That's a balls chippy. As you say be good to know what happened him... timber tongue?

That's a balls chippy. As you say be good to know what happened him... timber tongue?
    whats timber tongue? how did the honeymoon go or where did you head?

Well had you a good time? Your just back in time to get the slurry out before the extended deadline of Oct 31st ;)

Great time now thanks. Back to reality now with a bang :D

Got slurry out there in Sept just do it, thank God. Would be some tracks if left it til now.

Have a few yearling heifers still out on drier ground. They are making a good job of cleaning up with almost zero poaching, rotating around on 6 paddocks. Will be brought in next Saturday- 3 Nov... not bad for our land.

I was very surprised at all the fields of baled silage made when coming down through Meath from Dublin. It'I all be needed I hear if the postman is correct.

• Advertisement

whats timber tongue?

http://cattletoday.info/wooden_tongue.htm

thinking about it again, it's more likely blackleg! ;)
    http://cattletoday.info/blackleg.htm

But it's all speculation and guesswork until you get a lab onto it. I (and I'm sure others here) will be interested to hear what the cause was.

Richk2012 wrote: »

It was the calf's navel spraying blood . It was pumping out that fast it was making a noise as it hit the straw on the floor of the shed .
    Luckily there was two of us there and i clamped it wit my hand while we tied it up.
    QUOTE]

Never seen this happen Rich. Lucky calf is right! He's be a goner otherwise!

Dont think its blackleg. seems to be no swelling above normal for a dead animal. seen him last night and no bother on him at all. noticed a couple of the other weanlings snotting at the nose this morning aswell. all were vaccinated in september so ay call vet out just to be on the safe side. we went extreme on dosing and vaccinating this year, so i'm hoping theres no serious underlying problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

QUOTE]

a clothes peg will stop the bleeding, not a wooden one , a plastic one is normally cleaner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭L driver

lovely morning back today. arrived into yard to find a super u grading bull weanling stretched out cold. thats 6 of this years calves gone this year. hopefully i will get him in to be tested up north tomorrow.

too tired to get up?

L driver wrote: »
    too tired to get up?

what?

• Advertisement

what?

6 calves? perhaps the op is too tired to get up? might be reading it wrong.

maybe you shouldnt jump to conclusions. thats 6 out of 45 this year. i'm up at anytime between 5.30 and 6.30 at anytime of the week.
    two cases were pneumonia (both on twins), one bvd, one blackleg and the last two i dont know. do you really think you have the right to put it down to laziness when you dont have a notion how i work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

tidied up our computer cabinet this morning( hence all the posts),g wizz its grand to be tidy every now and again

maybe you shouldnt jump to conclusions. thats 6 out of 45 this year. i'm up at anytime between 5.30 and 6.30 at anytime of the week.
    two cases were pneumonia (both on twins), one bvd, one blackleg and the last two i dont know. do you really think you have the right to put it down to laziness when you dont have a notion how i work.

how do you train the cows to calve from 5.30 on? I suppose 14% ain't too bad.

you really dont have a clue l driver do you. where did i state any deaths at calving?
    14% is way too high especially the fact they were on the ground alive.

does anyone have the contact details for the lab in omagh or do you know if they have to be booked in prior to dropping off?

• Advertisement

QUOTE]

I know , suppose ya have to to be due odd bit of luck now and again :cool:

Sorry to hear bout the bad luck your havin this year chippy ..
    Did the dam of the bvd calf get tested when it showed up positive??

are you wrecked from all the going, bet the lady has drastically changed already for the lady you married

Wrecked from 'all the goin' ?... that could be read a few ways!! :D
    Travelling, airports etc always wreckin'. Plus when I go away I always want to be on the move and trying to see it all.

RE 'the lady drastically changin'.... no bob, no :D God your very cynical! Hang in there, and if you spend as much time out 'chasing tail' as you do around the ring you'I eventually find a young one willing to wash your socks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Welcome back Muckit & Chippy.

I'm reminded of a quote from Oscar Wilde of marriage:

"Damn it,sir,it is your duty to get married. You can't be always living for pleasure."

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

how do you train the cows to calve from 5.30 on? I suppose 14% ain't too bad.

1Chippy thats a bad run. I had 5 and a cow from 26 when I was keeping sucklers and it put me away from them eventually.
    Similar stuff but mostly illness/complications from calves born weak. Some of them struggled on for weeks. All the tests in the world carried out showed up clear. One cow then dropped dead with a weak heart to top it off.
    Like yourself I missed no calvings either. That was 2009 and bad trade at the marts put me well into the red. Still you have to battle on. That buck above is a winderupper methinks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Lads Best way to remember your anniversary is .......... forget it once!

Bizzum wrote: »
    Welcome back Muckit & Chippy.

I'm reminded of a quote from Oscar Wilde of marriage:

"Damn it,sir,it is your duty to get married. You can't be always living for pleasure."

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

gozunda wrote: »

As was previously said, ivy contains a lot of nutrients and cattle naturally go for it. Easiest thing to train cattle to walk for a show with;)
    Who told you it was acid buid-up, your vet? Bicarbonate is good to neutralise acid i.e. dose her with bread soda and even if it does nothing for her, it won't do her any harm;)

I sweetened her nuts with sugar and she ate them, slowly but she's coming round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

jimmy G M wrote: »
    done that, not the best of moves
    however herself forgot this year, so i how hold a very special get out of jail free card

jimmy G M wrote: »

12-10-12 is mine. Not too hard to remember.

If I had my way I'd have got married the 18th of June.... 18-6-12 !! :D

Kovu Murr wrote: »

I sweetened her nuts with sugar and she ate them, slowly but she's coming round.

That's more '50 shades' than Oscar Wilde !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

That's more '50 shades' than Oscar Wilde !

I.......have no smart answer.

Fair play sir:p

p.s.- smart answer= 'then'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I don't know how herself will take it if I suggest 10-10-20 for a wedding date........

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bradachu

My dad alway used a good smear of marking fluid on the breastbone of the ram as raddle. I bought a harness and block raddle. Any opinions on which lasts longest? ( I know I'll find out soon enough, but outside info never goes amiss!):confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

6 calves? perhaps the op is too tired to get up? might be reading it wrong.

F*ckin cheek of ya:mad:

A statement like that when you literally know nothing about the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

Friend of mine's no. for the leaving cert was 10-10-20.

He ran around the hall looking for a desk with 18-6-12 on it the day of the 1st exam:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

He ran around the hall looking for a desk with 18-6-12 on it the day of the 1st exam:D

Of course he did. Not projecting in any way?;)

We couldnt get the calf into lab this morning so we still headed north and got levafas diamond and multi trace boluses

weanlings were dosed for worms with panacur around 6 weeks back
    everything was dosed for fluke with tribex around 5 weeks back
    everything got vacinations 4 weeks back ibr,bvd, etc
    everything was dosed with levafas diamond for rumen fluke today

we are going to give everything a multi trace bolus next week.

Now whats missing at this stage or what are other peoples opinions, am i wasting my time here, overdoing or under doing anywhere.

i was thinking of maybe giving the whole lot an ivermectin in a couple of weeks.

some of the weanlings have actually failed since i was away, some were very skittery around the back end. most of the cows seem tight enough but like that the ones that are bad are bad. all the weanlings are coughing badly and we put in another one thats failing today.
    any opinions. cheers chippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

would your vet not do a pm?

whelan1 wrote: »
    would your vet not do a pm?
    and a full herd investigation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

1Chippy,
    Are the weanlings scoury, with a bad smell of it? It could be Rumen Fluke. Despite all the dosing and vaccinating you have done, you haven't covered stomach fluke. It could be anything really, who knows? Next step might be to wait on the PM results and talk with your vet. Let us know how you get on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement