Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

whelan1 wrote: »
    would your vet not do a pm?

no, he always gets them sent away. sending away dung samples ourselves. i thought it would be a waste to send the calf off tomorrow, do they not have to be fairly fresh to get any sort of conclusive results. i'm hoping we have nearly every angle covered at this stage.

levafas diamond should cover the rumen fluke, but it was only done today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

bradachu wrote: »
    My dad alway used a good smear of marking fluid on the breastbone of the ram as raddle. I bought a harness and block raddle. Any opinions on which lasts longest? ( I know I'll find out soon enough, but outside info never goes amiss!):confused:

Harness and raddle better job in my experience. It will mark more sheep and last longer...

Be careful that the harness is on tight enough that it doesn't drop on the ram (if it drops it will rub and he will get blisters on the inside of his legs) you'll prob need to check it again after a few days as it'll work it's way into the wool a bit...

Best o luck, let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

1chippy wrote: »
    We couldnt get the calf into lab this morning so we still headed north and got levafas diamond and multi trace boluses

weanlings were dosed for worms with panacur around 6 weeks back
    everything was dosed for fluke with tribex around 5 weeks back
    everything got vacinations 4 weeks back ibr,bvd, etc
    everything was dosed with levafas diamond for rumen fluke today

we are going to give everything a multi trace bolus next week.

Now whats missing at this stage or what are other peoples opinions, am i wasting my time here, overdoing or under doing anywhere.

i was thinking of maybe giving the whole lot an ivermectin in a couple of weeks.

some of the weanlings have actually failed since i was away, some were very skittery around the back end. most of the cows seem tight enough but like that the ones that are bad are bad. all the weanlings are coughing badly and we put in another one thats failing today.
    any opinions. cheers chippy

Well you certainly have them well dosed.
    As well as the bolus I would give them all a shot of multivit it will help there liver after all the dosing.
    Only other thing I can think of is u said one of the calves you lost had bvd.
    Could there be a bit of transient infection in the cattle? Is the mother of bvd calf around, was she tested aswell?
    Anyway as others have said best of look and keep us posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

If it were me, I'd hold off on the bolusing until you've the other thing diagnosed and sorted.

From what you've described, sounds like it'd be out their backend of a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 FarmerWatch

Winter is really coming in now guys eh? First morning I had to defrost the car. Hope ye are all prepared!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

:D

Sorry Redzer,
    But these pranks annoy me... I don't understand why people think its funny to ring someone up, and make a fool of them? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bradachu

Thanks for that.

Another dead one today and two gone weak. we dropped the fresh one straight to lab and they started straight into him.Vet opened up another one in front of us and all seemed ok. said their seemed to be something slighty off about the stomach lining, but could be from lying up for the day.
    A couple of the others had a slight blow on the lungs, so everything within the age group of animals that are dying (april-june) got draxxin, vit b, blackleg shot and a bolus. on vets recomendation.
    She said to make sure to bolus everything (as in cows and all) in case it was a mineral dificiency. at this stage were just throwing sh1t at a wall and hoping it sticks.
    speakin of above that levafas definatly cures any constipation in cattle. i doubt we will need to agitate the tanks this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

fook, what age are these animals?

• Advertisement

fook, what age are these animals?
    All the late calvers april- june and one random july calf.
    but i was talking to another guy at the labs seems hes callin regular with 1-11/2 yr olds seems like he had a pair every week for the last month or so and still no answers.

What are they eating chippy. silage/grass/ meal?

all are getting some meal, although ones that died lately were only on it a couple of weeks. some are getting silage, small bit of straw and meal, some are on grass and meal (3 different locations).

Jaysus I

whats the silage like? did they get the second blackleg jab?

whats the silage like? did they get the second blackleg jab?[/QUOTE
    some had got it. there was a few i know were missed so we done all of them again from that batch.

they out of the same bull?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

Is there any possibility of lead poisoning? Access to a battery or batteries dumped / stored somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Is there any possibility of lead poisoning? Access to a battery or batteries dumped / stored somewhere!

We had this maybe 12-14 years ago. They were biting paint off an old gate. Turned out it was lead paint. We lost three weanlings the same day from it. I hope it is something easy cured 1chippy.

checked for lead everywhere and cant find anywhere or even suspect problems.
    they are from 3 different bulls, one of the weak ones are from another, only difference is we seen nothing wrong with the last two. the one this morning was grand between 5-7 this morn, went for a cuppa and dead when i got back.

• Advertisement

fook again.. just trying to elliminate things, would rumen fluke affect them so young? pnuemonia, i dont think so , as it was so cold around here last few days... blackleg etc covered... dosed to the hilt... where these overdosed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I was thinking lead-poisoning too. What about water supply? Is it mains or your well?

pakalasa wrote: »
    I was thinking lead-poisoning too. What about water supply? Is it mains or your well?

its well. hope its not that i'm drinking it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

Ragwort? Cut and left in field? Pulled and left in a pile, where they dried and became palatable?
    I know, unlikely, unlikely, but all possibilities should go on the table!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

its well. hope its not that i'm drinking it too.

Did you look in the ring feeders when empty to see that there was any remains of what looks like a battery that was baled up in silage ???

Ragwort? Cut and left in field? Pulled and left in a pile, where they dried and became palatable?
    I know, unlikely, unlikely, but all possibilities should go on the table!

Long , painful, slow death

pit silageprecision chop, there would be some bang if battery went through. all barrier fed. ragworth wouldnt be an option either wouldnt have had access to areas with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭L driver

all are getting some meal, although ones that died lately were only on it a couple of weeks. some are getting silage, small bit of straw and meal, some are on grass and meal (3 different locations).

where do you store the meal? Could that be a cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I dunno what to say to you Chippy. It almost defies logic. Best of luck getting to the bottom of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Got back aswell today. got off the plane and home to stick in the last of the cows. found nearly all the weanlings coughing badly so dosed a share of them and i'll get the rest on Monday.
    Dont think its blackleg. seems to be no swelling above normal for a dead animal. seen him last night and no bother on him at all. noticed a couple of the other weanlings snotting at the nose this morning aswell. all were vaccinated in september so ay call vet out just to be on the safe side. we went extreme on dosing and vaccinating this year, so i'm hoping theres no serious underlying problems.
    maybe you shouldnt jump to conclusions. thats 6 out of 45 this year. i'm up at anytime between 5.30 and 6.30 at anytime of the week.
    two cases were pneumonia (both on twins), one bvd, one blackleg and the last two i dont know. do you really think you have the right to put it down to laziness when you dont have a notion how i work.
    We couldnt get the calf into lab this morning so we still headed north and got levafas diamond and multi trace boluses

weanlings were dosed for worms with panacur around 6 weeks back
    everything was dosed for fluke with tribex around 5 weeks back
    everything got vacinations 4 weeks back ibr,bvd, etc
    everything was dosed with levafas diamond for rumen fluke today

we are going to give everything a multi trace bolus next week.

Now whats missing at this stage or what are other peoples opinions, am i wasting my time here, overdoing or under doing anywhere.

i was thinking of maybe giving the whole lot an ivermectin in a couple of weeks.

some of the weanlings have actually failed since i was away, some were very skittery around the back end. most of the cows seem tight enough but like that the ones that are bad are bad. all the weanlings are coughing badly and we put in another one thats failing today.
    any opinions. cheers chippy
    Another dead one today and two gone weak. we dropped the fresh one straight to lab and they started straight into him.Vet opened up another one in front of us and all seemed ok. said their seemed to be something slighty off about the stomach lining, but could be from lying up for the day.
    A couple of the others had a slight blow on the lungs, so everything within the age group of animals that are dying (april-june) got draxxin, vit b, blackleg shot and a bolus. on vets recomendation.
    She said to make sure to bolus everything (as in cows and all) in case it was a mineral dificiency. at this stage were just throwing sh1t at a wall and hoping it sticks.
    speakin of above that levafas definatly cures any constipation in cattle. i doubt we will need to agitate the tanks this year.
    All the late calvers april- june and one random july calf.
    but i was talking to another guy at the labs seems hes callin regular with 1-11/2 yr olds seems like he had a pair every week for the last month or so and still no answers.
    checked for lead everywhere and cant find anywhere or even suspect problems.
    they are from 3 different bulls, one of the weak ones are from another, only difference is we seen nothing wrong with the last two. the one this morning was grand between 5-7 this morn, went for a cuppa and dead when i got back.
    pit silageprecision chop, there would be some bang if battery went through. all barrier fed. ragworth wouldnt be an option either wouldnt have had access to areas with it.

Chippy
    Just putting all the post here together to see if anything stands out.

My thoughts - there's a possibilty BVD is causing immune suppression. It's a particularly tough year on stock, particularly for the later calves. Did you do a herd follow-up after the BVD+ve earlier in the year?

Sounds like could be severe weanling pneumonia. I know you've vaccinated but if there is BVD lingering in the background, and given the year that's in it, possibly worms and coccidiosis at higher than normal levels, the vaccine is fighting an uphill battle. Maybe the strain that is causing the problem isn't covered that well by the vaccine. Any one of the main causes of pneumonia (RSV, PI3, IBR, pasturella) can cause sudden death.

Have they gotten antibiotics? Brown powder mixed in the meal should help (tetracycline). Bacterial infections always like to jump in on top of other causes.

What's your vet think? Poisoning of some form appears to be ruled out as they are in 3 separate locations.

S**T chippy, my heart goes out to you. You've done everything right and this is what greets you on arrival home from your honeymoon. I hope you've had the last fatality and what ever the f**k is causing it disappears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Mycoplasma? would think it would be strange in a small herd of animals. Maybe this is why your vet has decided to put them on Draxxin. have you seen any of the animals die in front of you? what are the symptoms or anything out of the norm

In cases like this its often best to get a couple of vets to examine the animals and see if they are coming up with anything else. Its a horrible feeling when your afraid to face the yard in the morning not knowing what is going to greet you. Have the T shirt unfortunately.

whats the time frame of the last 3 deaths? within a week of each other?
    Botulism? would presume not as it shows no symptoms just death. Chicken litter spread on lands nearby or chicken houses close by?

Botulism is what i was thinking too... as they are in 3 different groups the lead posioning would be hard to blame, was it actual blackleg vaccine or tribovax t you used?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Jassus chippy reading just do it's post above, you are going through hell.
    Is it only since silage was started that they started dying?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

absolutely hate bad time keeping. lad i have working does 3 day week from 6.50 am til 6pm... has breakfast and lunch hour... anyways no sign at 8.30 am:mad: typical i was going to have a bit of a lie on til 7 as one of the kids has been up every night since last wednesday... his excuse " my alarm didnt go off" now for 3 mornings i dont think it would kill him to be here on time.....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

absolutely hate bad time keeping. lad i have working does 3 day week from 6.50 am til 6pm... has breakfast and lunch hour... anyways no sign at 8.30 am:mad: typical i was going to have a bit of a lie on til 7 as one of the kids has been up every night since last wednesday... his excuse " my alarm didnt go off" now for 3 mornings i dont think it would kill him to be here on time.....:mad:
    Jeez your a hard woman the lad was probably out last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Botulism is what i was thinking too... as they are in 3 different groups the lead posioning would be hard to blame, was it actual blackleg vaccine or tribovax t you used?

We lost two lovely healthy heifers this summer, within two weeks after not loosing an animal in years. The vet suspected botulism and so we did a PM. Both animals went down and died with 2 hours from grazing, stomachs full of fresh grass.
    Results came back as "white muscle disease" in the heart and spleen enlarged, animal not from the same herd.
    Possibly from selenium difficency is what the information came back as. Administered multi vit and have multi vit licks with them since and no problems.

It accounted a 10% stock loss for us after not loosing an animal for years. Feckin madnening.

td5man wrote: »
    Jeez your a hard woman the lad was probably out last night.

I am paying his wages. Whats the point if I have to the wwork myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

I am paying his wages. Whats the point if I have to the wwork myself
    Thought that was the way it worked most of the lads i had working were like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

to lighten the mood in here has any of ye played this
    i ahem downloaded this last night is good craic my laptop is struggling with it tho.if any 1 wants the links to it u will have to pm me as i will get baned for posting links.

ps am i the only 1 that thought whealen 1 WAS A MAN;););)

http://www.farming-simulator.com/

td5man wrote: »
    Thought that was the way it worked most of the lads i had working were like that
    very hard to get a good reliable lad...(that wont break everything in the place and wont back chat you)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

naughto wrote: »
    ps am i the only 1 that thought whealen 1 WAS A MAN;););)

Jaysus Naughto, don't ever go to Thailand lad!! :p

it shows how much i pay attention to peoples posts.so iam in charge this week the boss aka my brother is gone away so does any 1 want to buy my/his cattle:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I was looking through DoneDeal and I came across this lady, lovely tractor :)

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/3989966

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

13spanner wrote: »
    I was looking through DoneDeal and I came across this lady, lovely tractor :)

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/3989966

I'm sure the jumpleads are for starting his other tractor :p

Muckit wrote: »

Ya you could be looking for a hole and find a shovel:D

its amazing what a bit of paint will do

Muckit wrote: »

ive being in thailand a gang of us when a few yrs back it was so hard to know what had a d1ck :eek::eek::eek:and what dident.so the best thing to do was not go near any of them

some answers. started before silage was opened. there is two chicken farmers beside us, one adjoining. tribovax t was used. deaths were happening with some giving notice others none whatso ever. as i said about the last one, he died while i was having a cuppa.

i got a preliminary pm back, where they said the liver and stomach was perfect, they actually said i should be pleased with how good of condition they were in. They also said the lungs were riddled with something which they hope to have an answer to in a few days.
    i have came to a sort of a conclusion, which may be completly wrong but i'm fairly sure what it is and where it came from.
    I bought bulling heifers from a dealer in Roscommon earlier in the year. I then bought springers of another man who, by pure chance told me about how he had bought of the same fella and all the animals he had bought ended up going down on him. we worked out that they had been from the same batch as the ones i bought. anyways what he got that time and what i have now are just too similar to be coincidental. I have been trying to get in touch to see how things panned out for him, but no answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

anyone else doing some last minute accounting:o

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

some answers. started before silage was opened. there is two chicken farmers beside us, one adjoining. tribovax t was used. deaths were happening with some giving notice others none whatso ever. as i said about the last one, he died while i was having a cuppa.

i got a preliminary pm back, where they said the liver and stomach was perfect, they actually said i should be pleased with how good of condition they were in. They also said the lungs were riddled with something which they hope to have an answer to in a few days.
    i have came to a sort of a conclusion, which may be completly wrong but i'm fairly sure what it is and where it came from.
    I bought bulling heifers from a dealer in Roscommon earlier in the year. I then bought springers of another man who, by pure chance told me about how he had bought of the same fella and all the animals he had bought ended up going down on him. we worked out that they had been from the same batch as the ones i bought. anyways what he got that time and what i have now are just too similar to be coincidental. I have been trying to get in touch to see how things panned out for him, but no answer.

Unbelievable. Just goes to show the risk that exists with buying in stock. Like yourself, we have and are buying in heifers for breeding. Its always a fear in the back of your mind that something might come in with them. Im hoping to be working with a closed herd from next year on. Hope ya get to the root of the problem soon Chippy and its easily sorted

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement