Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Keep us informed Chippy. A lot of people intrigued by this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

pakalasa wrote: »
    Keep us informed Chippy. A lot of people intrigued by this one.
    If this turns out to have been a bought in problem, I'll definitely proceed with my plan for 100% maternal bull on my cows!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FarmerWatch

1chippy wrote: »
    some answers. started before silage was opened. there is two chicken farmers beside us, one adjoining. tribovax t was used. deaths were happening with some giving notice others none whatso ever. as i said about the last one, he died while i was having a cuppa.

i got a preliminary pm back, where they said the liver and stomach was perfect, they actually said i should be pleased with how good of condition they were in. They also said the lungs were riddled with something which they hope to have an answer to in a few days.
    i have came to a sort of a conclusion, which may be completly wrong but i'm fairly sure what it is and where it came from.
    I bought bulling heifers from a dealer in Roscommon earlier in the year. I then bought springers of another man who, by pure chance told me about how he had bought of the same fella and all the animals he had bought ended up going down on him. we worked out that they had been from the same batch as the ones i bought. anyways what he got that time and what i have now are just too similar to be coincidental. I have been trying to get in touch to see how things panned out for him, but no answer.

Sorry to hear you've been having such a rough time 1chippy. Hopefully now at least you'll get some answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

some answers. started before silage was opened. there is two chicken farmers beside us, one adjoining. tribovax t was used. deaths were happening with some giving notice others none whatso ever. as i said about the last one, he died while i was having a cuppa.

i got a preliminary pm back, where they said the liver and stomach was perfect, they actually said i should be pleased with how good of condition they were in. They also said the lungs were riddled with something which they hope to have an answer to in a few days.
    i have came to a sort of a conclusion, which may be completly wrong but i'm fairly sure what it is and where it came from.
    I bought bulling heifers from a dealer in Roscommon earlier in the year. I then bought springers of another man who, by pure chance told me about how he had bought of the same fella and all the animals he had bought ended up going down on him. we worked out that they had been from the same batch as the ones i bought. anyways what he got that time and what i have now are just too similar to be coincidental. I have been trying to get in touch to see how things panned out for him, but no answer.
    did you contact the mart you bought them from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I bought bulling heifers from a dealer in Roscommon earlier in the year. I then bought springers of another man who, by pure chance told me about how he had bought of the same fella and all the animals he had bought ended up going down on him. we worked out that they had been from the same batch as the ones i bought. anyways what he got that time and what i have now are just too similar to be coincidental.
    Is it only these ones that have been affected? I thought it was younger stock/ weanlings for some reason and was going to ask had you bought-in stock which maybe brought in a virus/ bvd with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

BBC Radio 4's excellent early-morning farming programme had a piece this morning about feeding brassicas to ruminants to reduce e coli. (A Scottish study - http://www.thescottishfarmer.co.uk/business-sales/trendsprices/brassicas-reduce-ecoli-0157-x.18871783 - found that letting sheep graze on turnips and brassicas significantly reduced the level of e coli.)

A longer piece about this: http://www.qmscotland.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1174%3Anew-research-shows-feeding-brassicas-may-reduce-ecoli-o157-in-sheep&catid=34%3Anews-and-events&Itemid=71

And you can listen back to the programme (well worth downloading as a podcast) here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qj8q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

:D

ifjt.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Muckit wrote: »
    :D

ifjt.jpg
    Didn't know you could still get a print edition of the journal thats so old fashioned lol

You mean the Charolais sale date. I never spotted that. I wonder has Justin taken over the editors job yet?:D

• Advertisement

Would it be possible to set up a calender for upcoming farm events? Everything from Breed Society Sales to Teagasc Information nights, etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

You mean the Charolais sale date. I never spotted that. I wonder has Justin taken over the editors job yet?:D

pardon my ignorance but i thought he was going to AIBP?

keep going wrote: »
    pardon my ignorance but i thought he was going to AIBP?
    jeeny mac where have you been:p

Got my hands on my first IFJ in 3weeks yest...I see there's some Mailey lad writing a lot of the beef articles now. Is it still Matt or is Justin at the healm yet?? Never bothered to look inside the front cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Muckit wrote: »
    Got my hands on my first IFJ in 3weeks yest...I see there's some Mailey lad writing a lot of the beef articles now. Is it still Matt or is Justin at the healm yet?? Never bothered to look inside the front cover

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/about/aboutus/staffcontacts.shtml according to the website.

• Advertisement

jeez its freezing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

whelan1 wrote: »
    jeez its freezing
    had too take off the long john's as is a lovely warm day here.:D

leg wax wrote: »

God I used to laugh at the ol lad wearing them, but I'm the same now. Sure I'm an ol' married man now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

jeez its freezing

Terible here in Cavan..
    Cold and raining heavy all day...

Perfect day for the office :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

jomoloney wrote: »
    dont no whats worse the priest blessing the cattle or the singing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Today has been sh*te here all day so been inside and debating a great question I hope one of ye can answer.....

If I planted grass seed into a sheep's fleece....would it grow?:confused:

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    ..If I planted grass seed into a sheep's fleece....would it grow?:confused:
    Keep off those drugs.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Keep off those drugs.:mad:

Lol. Did I take the blue one or the pink one earlier. Oops :P
    No I don't know what put the thought into my head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Lol. Did I take the blue one or the pink one earlier. Oops :P
    No I don't know what put the thought into my head!

One of the last serious questions I was pondering "who was the real McCoy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

just do it wrote: »
    Is it only these ones that have been affected? I thought it was younger stock/ weanlings for some reason and was going to ask had you bought-in stock which maybe brought in a virus/ bvd with them!

it is with younger stock. noticed when i brought home heifers that time that they were snotting round the nose so i got injections of the vet to try keep ahead of it. they cleared up but i'm fairly convinced thats where it started. never had issues like this before. hoping to get full results fairly soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

it is with younger stock. noticed when i brought home heifers that time that they were snotting round the nose so i got injections of the vet to try keep ahead of it. they cleared up but i'm fairly convinced thats where it started. never had issues like this before. hoping to get full results fairly soon.

Sounds like I.B.R.....very infectious and deadly, affects the respiratory tract more than the lungs

rancher wrote: »
    Sounds like I.B.R.....very infectious and deadly, affects the respiratory tract more than the lungs

To look at the lungs it should be clear nearly as mud if it is an IBR infection that has caused the problems with the cattle. I taught chippy said he has them vaccinated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

One of the last serious questions I was pondering "who was the real McCoy"

That would have been me, but I moved on now I'm Batman.

Fffffcekin Ffffffrosty out there folks 😱

bbam wrote: »

you big girls blouse

• Advertisement

it is... also watch your step, nearly landed on my arse:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

As the Yorkshire man I was in college with used to say it's not caud 'til it blows. I knew it was cold one morning when we were heading out to work and he had put on a jumper. It was -9 C and his one concession to the weather was the jumper.

it is... also watch your step, nearly landed on my arse:o
    and would your arse be built for speed or comfort:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

o oh, looking for trouble!!!!!

thats for me to know and you to find out:D

I say your a zippy bit of stuff. :cool:

i will i will ,when you think of a camel,does your camel have 1 hump or 2 :P:P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

I say your a zippy bit of stuff. :cool:

Jez never heard that one before Bob, must be getting old. :eek: I like it tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

yip went for the overalls yesterday evening-
    couldnt figure how come i was so cold last few days,nothing better for keeping the heat in

• Advertisement

Pouring rain here all morning.
    We housed all calves yesterday, 'twas just too wet and cold.
    Opened first bale of silage and it was good, sweet and golden. Might get it tested to be sure for feeding.

When testing bales do you open and sample a few bales or just one at random?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭L driver

Pouring rain here all morning.
    We housed all calves yesterday, 'twas just too wet and cold.
    Opened first bale of silage and it was good, sweet and golden. Might get it tested to be sure for feeding.

When testing bales do you open and sample a few bales or just one at random?

lucky. I'd say everything west of shannon housed for 2 months and feed going to be short.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

We put the big weanling bulls in too, heifers are still out, waiting for kale to grow another couple of inches:o before they go in there. Nothing weaned yet.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    We put the big weanling bulls in too, heifers are still out, waiting for kale to grow another couple of inches:o before they go in there. Nothing weaned yet.
    put heifers on the redstart on wed just started to get going on it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

on my own this morning, milking and feeding, anyways
    part time lad arrived into the parlour this morning just after 8,
    had been up for a few hours and with the heavy rain, knew cows would be in and extra feeding would be needed.

was late in one morning this week, as said he would make up for it by helping out this morning

home for breakfast at 10 rather than the usual 12 this weather

dar31 wrote: »
    on my own this morning, milking and feeding, anyways
    part time lad arrived into the parlour this morning just after 8,
    had been up for a few hours and with the heavy rain, knew cows would be in and extra feeding would be needed.

was late in one morning this week, as said he would make up for it by helping out this morning

home for breakfast at 10 rather than the usual 12 this weather

fair play. MY lad didnt offer anything luke that after sleeping in the other day. Getting fed up now, he left the digger outside on friday night in the frost. Have said it to him numerous times that it goes in shed at night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

fair play. MY lad didnt offer anything luke that after sleeping in the other day. Getting fed up now, he left the digger outside on friday night in the frost. Have said it to him numerous times that it goes in shed at night

rightly annoyes me, having to constantly repeat my self.

have no problem telling lads what and how to do something, if they still struggle with it, i will explain in detail why they are doing it, and how it effect the greater scheme of things, often have to reinforce it a few times
    but telling lads every day to do something, is just taking the piss.

spent 20 min last night at 11 at night looking for the 4 grain fork, that under life or death is to be left in one particular place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭stanflt

dar31 wrote: »
    rightly annoyes me, having to constantly repeat my self.

have no problem telling lads what and how to do something, if they still struggle with it, i will explain in detail why they are doing it, and how it effect the greater scheme of things, often have to reinforce it a few times
    but telling lads every day to do something, is just taking the piss.

spent 20 min last night at 11 at night looking for the 4 grain fork, that under life or death is to be left in one particular place

i have three four grain forks around the yard and each has its own resting place-it drives me mad when theyre not put back in the correct place

oh dont get me started.... there are so many jobs i just do myself as i know they are done right then.... my dad says some day i might get some one reliable, but its a pain in the butt training someone in... most annoying thing is getting a text" what will i do next" ffs he is here a few years now if he doesnt have the initiative to see what has to be done it says it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

oh dont get me started.... there are so many jobs i just do myself as i know they are done right then.... my dad says some day i might get some one reliable, but its a pain in the butt training someone in... most annoying thing is getting a text" what will i do next" ffs he is here a few years now if he doesnt have the initiative to see what has to be done it says it all

what age is he mr mrs whelan??

naughto wrote: »
    what age is he mr mrs whelan??

22. on 3day week as fulltime was too much for him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement