Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

whelan1 wrote: »
    22. on 3day week as fulltime was too much for him.
    surly u would be better of with some 1 else if hes 22 and not able for it i doubt he will be any good with a few yrs under him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

worst weekend i think i ever had. welding up calving pens in a lean too and set the f*king hayshed on fire. we lost a pen of bulls that were on dry bedding that were been held in the last two bays. realy never want to witness anything like it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

1chippy wrote: »
    worst weekend i think i ever had. welding up calving pens in a lean too and set the f*king hayshed on fire. we lost a pen of bulls that were on dry bedding that were been held in the last two bays. realy never want to witness anything like it again.

Jaysus Chippy sorry to hear that. You're having some run of it boy. Hope things turn around for you soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Chippy it sounds like your going through the mill .
    Thats absolutely awful . Sorry to hear that brutal news .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

jesus chippy, sorry to hear
    not nice, really not nice

write every thing down now while it is fresh in your head, so you will have it for the insurance co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

jesus thats awful....

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

jesus thats awful....

+1 on that.

Don't even know what to say lad.

Keep the head up.
    These things can bring lads down to deep places, so stay focused and start getting things in order for insurance and powering on.

Look forward, whats done is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

thats awful chippy sorry about your loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭L driver

oh dont get me started.... there are so many jobs i just do myself as i know they are done right then.... my dad says some day i might get some one reliable, but its a pain in the butt training someone in... most annoying thing is getting a text" what will i do next" ffs he is here a few years now if he doesnt have the initiative to see what has to be done it says it all

maybe he sees it as only YOU can do it right.... as you see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Christ chippy but you are having a brutal time of it lately. I hope your luck straightens out a bit soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Jeez that's desperate chippy. Just try keep looking forward. Keep focussing on short term goals or jobs to get u through this difficult time. Don't be afraid to ask for help from family or neighbours.

L driver wrote: »
    maybe he sees it as only YOU can do it right.... as you see it?
    as a previous poster said theres only so many times you can show some one something.... believe you me i am always saying if you dont understand something come back to me and i will show you again... i dont think i am a hard boss, i do alot of the work myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

jeez thats bad. hope things improve for you soon, things like that can get you down.suppose you have to be thankful that your troubles are outside as they say , easy for me to say i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Mother of God chippy, so sorry to hear... I dunno what to say... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Shocking run you're getting. Hope you turn the corner soon.

Thanks for all the replies lads.Theres not much you can say. neighbours and all were great help. lads there at half seven this morning trying to get the other cattle back in and sorted and clean up the yard. the whole place was lit up in less than a minute, you would nearly think they were soaked in petrol how fast it spread.
    we have a line of bulls stretched along in a row for collection tomorrow. very disheartening pulling them out as vet put them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

sorry for your troubles chippy, jesus it can only get better from here on for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭stanflt

Thanks for all the replies lads.Theres not much you can say. neighbours and all were great help. lads there at half seven this morning trying to get the other cattle back in and sorted and clean up the yard. the whole place was lit up in less than a minute, you would nearly think they were soaked in petrol how fast it spread.
    we have a line of bulls stretched along in a row for collection tomorrow. very disheartening pulling them out as vet put them down.

sorry for your loss- keep the chin up and dont be afraid to talk to someone about how your feeling. your mental health is really important at times like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭L driver

terrible stuff. so long as you and yours are ok is the main thing. tough seeing the animals go. bounce back and don't over analyse what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Jez Chippy you're having a rough time. Keep yer chin up man. Things turn, for every down there's an up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sorry to hear that chippy, keep the chin up, as stan says don't be afraid to go talk to someone, you have a lot on your plate at the moment.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes the past few weeks. I hope your run of bad luck turns soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Housed the last few heifers today. All stock in here now. They had one paddock left to bare out, but with all the rain they'd have ploughed the ground.

Looking forward to next spring and seeing how early I can get a few lighter cattle back out again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭case 5150

sorry to hear chippy, that s dreadful to have ta contend with, hold your head up man and take it all as a pinch of salt, i wish you the very best and things will turn the corner for you and go well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Chippy I hope this is the end of your troubles ,things can only improve for you from here on .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

1Chippy, I hope this broke the bad luck and things will turn now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Chippy
    I can't add anything to what others have already said. My heart goes out to you buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

1Chippy, desperate bad luck. I hope your bad run ends soon. Keep your chin up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

Very sorry to read of your loss chippy.

Chin up and keep going through this difficult time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Good loser

Serious losses there Chippy. The darkest hour is just before dawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Suckler

That is rough on top of everything else.

We're having a small lean to put up at the moment and I'll admit it's one thing I forgot to think about. One bay full of straw that'd quickly fuel a fire if a spark from an angle grinder or welder got near it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

jesus chippy, I really hope this is the end of your bad luck, must have been a horrible experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Chippy I cant say anything that hasnt already been said but I hope this is the last of your bad luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

L driver wrote: »
    terrible stuff. so long as you and yours are ok is the main thing. tough seeing the animals go. bounce back and don't over analyse what happened.
    my inlaws had a fire in the house 18 months ago and while it was tough they are in a much better place now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Not much good in what im going to say but I was always told by old boys that a fire on the farm was one of the luckiest things for the future you could have. Dont know the origins of this but we had a barn of hay go maliciously 25yrs ago when we moved here first and it was the first time I heard the saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FarmerWatch

Heart really goes out to you chippy.
    I echo what the rest of the posters have said.
    Take solace in the fact that once you've hit rock bottom the only way is up.
    And seriously man, look after yourself. It's times like that that even the best of men will crack. Don't bottle it up inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Heart really goes out to you chippy.
    I echo what the rest of the posters have said.
    Take solace in the fact that once you've hit rock bottom the only way is up.
    And seriously man, look after yourself. It's times like that that even the best of men will crack. Don't bottle it up inside.

1chippy really sorry to hear your sad news
    I hope all goes well with your insurance guy

Lads if you have a animal found dead/died on your land, is there any compensation for this or just take it on the chin and move on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

saranac1 wrote: »
    Lads if you have a animal found dead/died on your land, is there any compensation for this or just take it on the chin and move on?

I would be anxious to know what caused the demise before I done anything?
    I'm sure you know the protocol for dealing with fallen animals.

Not much good in what im going to say but I was always told by old boys that a fire on the farm was one of the luckiest things for the future you could have. Dont know the origins of this but we had a barn of hay go maliciously 25yrs ago when we moved here first and it was the first time I heard the saying.

What a bizarrely comforting and utterly kind thing to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SoJoMo

sorry to hear about all the bad luck chippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Bizzum wrote: »

I would be anxious to know what caused the demise before I done anything?
    I'm sure you know the protocol for dealing with fallen animals.

So far we have killed 3 foxs but my 1st opinion was travellors letting loose lurcher dogs to train them for hunting. Nov 1st now most farmland is filled with lads shooting.

Yes the animal was disposed off at the knackery and nice crisp 10 euro handed over😪

thanks again everyone. got the whole place cleared and the animals lifted so starting afresh again. insurance was a bit of a joke, basically all we were covered for was public liability.
    Started powerwashing everything and got purlins for the steelwork so hopefully have that on by the weekend. Only issue now is two slipped discs i got dragging gates out. going to see my back lad tonight so hopefully have them sorted tomorrow.
    Going to pick up a few springers as replacements for the bulls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

just want to echo what everyone said chippy, so sorry to hear what you went through.

My ol fella has a saying when something unfortunate happens on the farm..
    as long as the trouble stays outside the family home, things will be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

thanks again everyone. got the whole place cleared and the animals lifted so starting afresh again. insurance was a bit of a joke, basically all we were covered for was public liability.
    Started powerwashing everything and got purlins for the steelwork so hopefully have that on by the weekend. Only issue now is two slipped discs i got dragging gates out. going to see my back lad tonight so hopefully have them sorted tomorrow.

Sorry to here about your bad luck chippy. Did you find out what was causing your animals to die? Would you b better to get to the bottom of that before picking up springers?

Great news.

Maybe shop around for better insurance.

FBD are sending out a lad to quote us. The vet said we could buy away only we have to isolate and stick to a strict vacination program. Bob i told the old man your quote and he loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

FBD are sending out a lad to quote us. The vet said we could buy away only we have to isolate and stick to a strict vacination program. Bob i told the old man your quote and he loved it.
    Sorry to hear of your latest run of bad luck chippy hope thats them end of it for you, positive thinking is all you can do now

who where you with, not much point paying out money if your not covered.... hopefully thats an end to all the bad luck.... been through a very bad patch a few years ago and just when you think it cant get any worse it does ...... time to move on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

time to move on...

Good advice..
    As my auld fella used to say.. "you can't walk forward while looking backwards"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

anyone get any info from dept/mullinahone about orderig the new tags yet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement