Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Nothing here yet . I was at a bvd meeting last week and they said they would be sending out the order forms this week and next though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

i wonder will there much of a wait for the tags, i mean if you have calves to tag in the next week or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

i wonder will there much of a wait for the tags, i mean if you have calves to tag in the next week or two

Dont have to bvd test until january so there shouldnt be a big delay on getting tags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

2 hours of torture on the phone:( and still animal things not sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I see the Farmers Journal are publishing a " Standalone Dairy Magazine" called Irish Dairy Farmer. Coming to a shop near you on Nov 22nd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Bizzum wrote: »
    I see the Farmers Journal are publishing a " Standalone Dairy Magazine" called Irish Dairy Farmer. Coming to a shop near you on Nov 22nd.
    Wonder is it a oneoff a weekly or monthly doesnt give anymore info on facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

2 hours of torture on the phone:( and still animal things not sorted.
    2 hours of torture with my daughter at hairdresser getting knots out of her hair, got my shins kicked, my hair pulled and scrapped... give me 2 hours on the phone anyday:cool: then was late getting back to milk .... think she will brush her hair properly in future:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

i got a bvd form, how much per calf? also i got a form for the last 10 calves that were born in may/june. surely they dont have to be done:mad:

kevthegaff wrote: »
    i got a bvd form, how much per calf? also i got a form for the last 10 calves that were born in may/june. surely they dont have to be done:mad:
    enfer charge €3.40 through glanbia to do the test, is that what you are asking?

whelan1 wrote: »
    2 hours of torture with my daughter at hairdresser getting knots out of her hair, got my shins kicked, my hair pulled and scrapped... give me 2 hours on the phone anyday:cool: then was late getting back to milk .... think she will brush her hair properly in future:p
    Our 7 year old stuck a lollipop to her hair and cut it out herself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

moy83 wrote: »
    Nothing here yet . I was at a bvd meeting last week and they said they would be sending out the order forms this week and next though

I got my order forms today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭flat out !!

Did u ever feel like getting a hammer and smashing some tru-test milk metres.? Milk recording with them can be such a pain. Pure torture this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Did u ever feel like getting a hammer and smashing some tru-test milk metres.? Milk recording with them can be such a pain. Pure torture this morning.
    No, but the odd limousin elicits that type of reaction :)

just do it wrote: »
    No, but the odd limousin elicits that type of reaction :)
    Only the odd one???

td5man wrote: »
    Only the odd one???
    Good point, they're nearly all a bit odd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

No but I've entertained thoughts of shoving that stainless steel pipe sticking out of the end of them up a hole it wasn't designed for:eek:. Nothing worse esp if you get stuck doing it on a Fri than tempramental meters. Big step up from those old blue meters though and some of the unreliables the records crowd had doing recordings.

fortunately we still have a lovely lady coming to record here, was here this morning, never had to use the meters thank god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

whelan1 wrote: »
    never had to use the meters thank god

Whenthey work they're grand our recorder usually leaves a couple of spares. Still a pain when one kicks up during milking. Also bought cows from a guy and freeze brands bear no corelation to tags, until we got used to them it was a real pain.

Jeez folks, looks like everyone is having a quiet Saturday night and surfing on the farming forum at the moment :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I had a pb dorset ewe lamb about 3 weeks ago with a set of twin ewe lams and the auld bit*h hadn't a drop of milk in one teat and only a dribble in the other. So i stuck her in a pen with the two lambs and bottled them every day until they settled and didn't really look for their mother. On wednesday i let her out of the pen and put her in a 1 acre square field right in front of my folks house which you can see every inch of from the kitchen window with two tips and a teaser as i was waiting on a new movement book from the dept to take her and the two tips to the fat ring but i saw the gate open on thursday morning when i was out before work. I saw the two tips and teaser but no sign of the ewe and thought to myself, well shes probably gone looking for the lams so i rang the auld fella later and told him to keep an eye out for her. Still no sign of her yesterday and then i went searching for her this morning and couldn't find her. It only clicked with me when i saw a buzzard sitting on the fence rail beside the field and i walked over and there she was standing upright in an old strainer hole full of water drowned. If theres one thing sheep will teach you its that they will find any way possible to commit hari kari.

• Advertisement

Jeez folks, looks like everyone is having a quiet Saturday night and surfing on the farming forum at the moment :D
    Am not just seen skyfall in the cinema and getting something to eat now yous need to get a life..

Any of yiz that want a laugh, and are on facebook, take a look at the photos on the page of "bog memes".

I'd post a link only everyone would know who I am and want to be my friend. I've enough in 11 friends already:D.

Indeed if I knew how to post an odd pic from there I would, but I'm somewhat technological challenged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Ah Bizzum ..!! I'm in the fits of laughter here. Fair play for bringing this to our attention! :D:D:D:D

Good man Muckit.

Thanks. Some great one's alright. Ya can take the man outta the bog but ya cant take the bog outta the man!

I heard them all uttered a thousand times. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I thought this was the best one :D

599604_318767754896776_1052160279_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Bizzum wrote: »
    Any of yiz that want a laugh, and are on facebook, take a look at the photos on the page of "bog memes".

I'd post a link only everyone would know who I am and want to be my friend. I've enough in 11 friends already:D.

Indeed if I knew how to post an odd pic from there I would, but I'm somewhat technological challenged.

Right click on the pic you want bizzum and click copy image url, when you go to post here then click the insert image button and then paste it in the box that pops up on screen, job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Quiet saturday night:D:D i don't think so ...was taking part in a STARS IN THEIR EYES fundraiser for the local GAA club last night .Fcukin ROCKed the house even gave biddy from glenroe(one of the judges) a crotch grinding:D:D:D:D. i'l post a vid as soon as i get it....no one wil recognise me even if u knew me;)

:D552223_320322374741314_685618972_n.jpg
    550145_319963221443896_1564036306_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Was in Ballybay yesterday and quite a few small plain suckled weanlings 4-6 months old went through from €450-€500..

We were talking afterwards... its a poor return after having a cow for the year, most of them cows either broke even or maybe made €50/100 for the year.. Its a serious amount of work for less than €100 for the year !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

bbam wrote: »
    Was in Ballybay yesterday and quite a few small plain suckled weanlings 4-6 months old went through from €450-€500..

We were talking afterwards... its a poor return after having a cow for the year, most of them cows either broke even or maybe made €50/100 for the year.. Its a serious amount of work for less than €100 for the year !!
    Lost money more likely. Probably off a scrub bull too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

td5man wrote: »
    Am not just seen skyfall in the cinema and getting something to eat now yous need to get a life..

tis class isnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Quiet saturday night:D:D i don't think so ...was taking part in a STARS IN THEIR EYES fundraiser for the local GAA club last night .Fcukin ROCKed the house even gave biddy from glenroe(one of the judges) a crotch grinding:D:D:D:D. i'l post a vid as soon as i get it....no one wil recognise me even if u knew me;)

sickened I missed it. saw a video this morning. where did you find the get-up?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

This is where I have issue with the single payment. Its supporting people to do this. Yer man propably thinks he's making good money. How often do you hear it "grass fed weinlings, me own breeding, sure they didn't cost me anthing". They only cost him some of his SFP to keep!!

I can't understand why people are continually encouraged to farm like this.

I sold 5 weinlings over the weekend. April and May born. They ate €150 of meal each since the end of July. 3 bulls, 2 heifers. I have over €5000 in the cheque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

reilig wrote: »
    This is where I have issue with the single payment. Its supporting people to do this. Yer man propably thinks he's making good money. How often do you hear it "grass fed weinlings, me own breeding, sure they didn't cost me anthing". They only cost him some of his SFP to keep!!

I sold 5 weinlings over the weekend. April and May born. They ate €150 of meal each since the end of July. 3 bulls, 2 heifers. I have over €5000 in the cheque.

Indeed... lots of wishful thinking rather than any accounting.

• Advertisement

Not a fear he's using his SFP. These type lads are too cute for that!;)

RE meal feeding. That's some amount of meal your fed there. Would that be the average value of meal you feed to all your weanlings this year Reilig?

Poor return ideed if these were home bred single suckled calves. However there could be a chance that these were bought in and had one or more calves in competition with them for the teat. All milk no meal.

Muckit wrote: »
    Not a fear he's using his SFP. These type lads are too cute for that!;)

RE meal feeding. That's some amount of meal your fed there. Would that be the average value of meal you feed to all your weanlings this year Reilig?

I recon those types are cute enough to spend the sfp - then they will have no tax to pay!

I don't think that's a huge amount of meal. They started on 1.5kg per day at the end of July, moved onto 2kg per day late august and have been on 3kg per head per day since september. Any less meal and it would have little or no impact.

The meal more than paid for itself in the double!!

The meal more than paid for itself in the double!!

More than paid for itself?? Wouldn't it want to! That's in the same wavelength of thinking as that lad selling the poor plain weanlings!

It's keeping another industry a float (millers/ merchants etc) & employment associated with same which is no bad thing, especially in these times.

RE €150/head on meal not being a lot to feed weanlings, I suppose it's all relative. If you don't feed any meal at all, then spending €150/head is a lot! If a lad had 20 cows, that's €3000 tied up in meal. I'd count €3000 a lot of money.

But I suppose you have to spend money to make money ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Wow that is some meal use Relig

To put it in perpestive Our dairy cows are only eating half a ton of meal a year or circa 150 EUR

And there are guys feeding less than us

• Advertisement

I'm feeding less than 20Euro per head to our weanlings. March /April born and bulls around the 375Kg mark at sale in early Nov. I don't think the Irish buyer wants them that well done. You'd want to be sure, they were export grade at that level of feeding. Or am i wrong?

sickened I missed it. saw a video this morning. where did you find the get-up?:D

the mother dipped the aul sewing machine 4 oil and knocked it out:D. btw where the video hav'nt seen it yet!

pakalasa wrote: »
    I'm feeding less than 20Euro per head to our weanlings. March /April born and bulls around the 375Kg mark at sale in early Nov. I don't think the Irish buyer wants them that well done. You'd want to be sure, they were export grade at that level of feeding. Or am i wrong?

we would feed somewhere between 200 and 500 kgs of meal per head depending on sex of calf and time of year he/she was born..very well spent money imo.i reckon reilig is spot on what hes doin and every €1 of meal multiplies its self 2 or 3 times by sale day. headin of to carnaross tomorrow with 5 bulls too. wil report back!

€20 is 2 bags of weinling crunch @ €10 per bag - 50kg of meal :o

I had my weinlings in bunches of 8 and they were getting 1 full bag (25kg per day).

I am feeding for export though - all are BB or CH.

husband slipped on the low loader the other day, was complaining all weekend:rolleyes: anyways went to vhi clinic today and he broke a rib!

€20 is 2 bags of weinling crunch @ €10 per bag - 50kg of meal :o.
    I know. That's how I worked it out. These were never housed but were getting silage towards the end. A lot of milky half-bred cows so quality might not be the best. A few would be around the 900 Euro though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

I know. That's how I worked it out. These were never housed but were getting silage towards the end. A lot of milky half-bred cows so quality might not be the best. A few would be around the 900 Euro though.
    good weights pak considering that amount of meal, ive 2 lads old than that that have plenty eat and dont think they will make 400 kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

we would feed somewhere between 200 and 500 kgs of meal per head depending on sex of calf and time of year he/she was born..very well spent money imo.i reckon reilig is spot on what hes doin and every €1 of meal multiplies its self 2 or 3 times by sale day. headin of to carnaross tomorrow with 5 bulls too. wil report back!
    tis take some photos before they go so we can compare prices down here.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

So, you can get a return on meal feeding of between 200% and 300%:rolleyes:
    Jayzuz, if Larry Goodman were to read this ........................... :eek:

works out the same as rellig then without the hassle of all that extra feeding

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement