Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

whelan1 wrote: »
    afair 400kg, hereford making from 650 -800 , aa up to 1000... didnt write anything down but it was very noticable the price difference

the ones at 650 mustnt of been great? saw some last week making 350-400+kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

simx wrote: »
    the ones at 650 mustnt of been great? saw some last week making 350-400+kg
    i would say a bit of meal would have worked wonders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Adne : Meant to ring today and forgot, going to call them in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Anyone ever lose an animal after eating bale wrap?! My calves go mad for it, they done a bit of tearing today while i was at work and pulled out bale wrap plastic and pulled it around the place and one heifer in particular had it in her mouth .. Half worried about them now... All plastic tidied up now .

I saw a cow waste away before that ate a plastic feed bag Totally blocked, went down and drifted off in like 4 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Bodacious wrote: »
    Anyone ever lose an animal after eating bale wrap?! My calves go mad for it, they done a bit of tearing today while i was at work and pulled out bale wrap plastic and pulled it around the place and one heifer in particular had it in her mouth .. Half worried about them now... All plastic tidied up now .

I saw a cow waste away before that ate a plastic feed bag Totally blocked, went down and drifted off in like 4 days
    Reminded me of the joke Tommy Teirnan told about the donkey on the aran islands that ate the black plastic :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

1chippy wrote: »
    Adne : Meant to ring today and forgot, going to call them in the morning.

Let us know how it goes. Would be very interested to see what root cause is

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭getupthatyard

Isn't eating plastic a sign of phosphorus deficiency? Vaguely remember readin something about it once, if you've cow minerals then through dem a bit an should stop dem eatin the plastic! Maybe someone else will correct me on this if I'm wrong :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Well lads and lassies. in carnaross last night and tbh not a great night at d office at all!! was hoping for 2.40 -2.50 avg ended up just over 2.25:(.cattle weighed well the same. 1st lad stq bb born 27.12.11 520 kgs €1200 next lry pt born 22.2.12( was at ploughing) 445kgs €1075. 3rd lad lry pt born 27.2.12 460kgs €1060. 4th lad kyr bb born 10.1.12 490kgs €1075 and finally a poor lim x by stock bull we were thinking of keeping as teaser 440kgs €920.
    overall a poor sale guy from tlt (garravalli) only going as far as 2.50 on the very best of bb cattle juniors reiligs and leg's type of stock:confused::confused:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

was the first lad too heavy for the boat do you think?

they wer'nt the fanciest cattle so think the factory feedlots and finishers were more in line for them.in saying that saw shippers picking up cattle 500kgs +. just an odd night stock back at least €50 / head on last week!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Just back in from a meeting to oppose a National Park in our area, haven't seen such a good turnout of farmers to oppose something or voice their opinion in a long while. There must have been about 7-800 there and all expecting a good nights politician bashing, but the cowardly little sh1teof an environment minister hadn't even the manners to turn up and present his case. He had the cheek to send an email asking for the number of people who would be attending and their names!!!! The ufu had put on a good opposition show, bringing in speakers from the Breacon Beacons who talked about their experiences farming in one. all i can say is that God help anyone trying to farm in a national park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Just back in from a meeting to oppose a National Park in our area, haven't seen such a good turnout of farmers to oppose something or voice their opinion in a long while. There must have been about 7-800 there and all expecting a good nights politician bashing, but the cowardly little sh1teof an environment minister hadn't even the manners to turn up and present his case. He had the cheek to send an email asking for the number of people who would be attending and their names!!!! The ufu had put on a good opposition show, bringing in speakers from the Breacon Beacons who talked about their experiences farming in one. all i can say is that God help anyone trying to farm in a national park
    Farming in one here and I don't see what's so bad about it, we have one of the best environmental schemes in europe too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Well lads and lassies. in carnaross last night and tbh not a great night at d office at all!! was hoping for 2.40 -2.50 avg ended up just over 2.25:(.cattle weighed well the same. 1st lad stq bb born 27.12.11 520 kgs €1200 next lry pt born 22.2.12( was at ploughing) 445kgs €1075. 3rd lad lry pt born 27.2.12 460kgs €1060. 4th lad kyr bb born 10.1.12 490kgs €1075 and finally a poor lim x by stock bull we were thinking of keeping as teaser 440kgs €920.

Don't mean to sound mean but shouldn't buyers names be kept a bit more subtle mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I refused €2.60/kilo tonight for a heifers calf, 300kg, €815. He's only young so we'll see who loses out in Spring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

pakalasa wrote: »
    There was a programme on bullying last night on RTE. Sad really. The internet opens up a whole new world for this sort of thing.
    I watched it last night and I couln't help but think of a guy in our secondry school who got bullied so bad, the whole year was spoken to about it. He was mad into computers, so all the usual 'computer nerd' name calling stuff. He ended up going to the same uiversity as myself. At graduation, he was the last person to be called up. He got an award for the highest points across all the courses. He also had a PhD lined up in Oxford University. This was before computers really took off. I often wonder what all the little sh1ts that were teasing him are at now.

Just googled him. :) He's on Wikipedia now :)

What was the programme btw?

gozunda wrote: »
    What was the programme btw?
    "bullyproof" on rte , david coleman presents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Well lads and lassies. in carnaross last night and tbh not a great night at d office at all....
    Couldn't help but notice that they are a bit big in the bellies. Mine were like that this year too. I put it down to the watery grass they were eating all year. Any one else find this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

any one ever have to shoot a roaming dog, caught the neighbours collie chasing me calves up and down the field yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

Couldn't help but notice that they are a bit big in the bellies. Mine were like that this year too. I put it down to the watery grass they were eating all year. Any one else find this?

I find the same this year, also. I thought it was just me:o

Anyway, (and this is just my opinion, and I'm wrong most of the time), the cattle in the pictures posted last night, would represent something like my own calves, from a conformation point of view.
    I just believe, these cattle don't suit heavy meal feeding. Ok, they go into the mart, a good bit heavier, but from the general sales I see, the price per kg, gets cut:( In my opinion, these cattle could be up to 50kgs lighter, and make €2.50 / €2.60 per kg. They certainly would in Ennis, these past few weeks.
    Reilig, quoted having got well over €3 per kg. €3.13 if I remember correctly.
    That is a MASSIVE difference, and one where meal feeding is truely reflected in the price.
    I would love to see pics of Reilig's cattle, just to compare and contrast, and see which kind of stock, buyers actually are willing to reward the meal input, by way of premium price per kilo.

Exactly, that was my reason for not heavy meal feeding. Just enough to have them looking good, not 'overdone', as they say down in Clare. It can actually put off buyers. Just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

overall a poor sale guy from tlt (garravalli) only going as far as 2.50 on the very best of bb cattle juniors reiligs and leg's type of stock:confused::confused:.

I think that's the price of those cattle. You prob would have done as well to sell them 8 weeks ago. Average cattle pushed too far!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Well lads and lassies. in carnaross last night and tbh not a great night at d office at all!!

1st lad stq bb born 27.12.11 520 kgs €1200 next lry pt born 22.2.12( was at ploughing) 445kgs €1075. 3rd lad lry pt born 27.2.12 460kgs €1060. 4th lad kyr bb born 10.1.12 490kgs €1075 and finally a poor lim x by stock bull we were thinking of keeping as teaser 440kgs €920.

Nothing wrong with them prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

went to ball weanling sale for first time on tuesday and thought it was the best sale i was at this year, especially for anyone selling decent blues.
    3euro/kg for quality.

i'll definitely be there again.

I would love to see pics of Reilig's cattle, just to compare and contrast, and see which kind of stock, buyers actually are willing to reward the meal input, by way of premium price per kilo.

+1. It's an area I could be educated in myself.

hugo29 wrote: »
    any one ever have to shoot a roaming dog, caught the neighbours collie chasing me calves up and down the field yesterday
    yup, ring dog warden and guards and shoot on sight on your land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Another option is to catch dog and ring neighbours - give them the option of you shooting or them putting it down. I have found where it is an otherwise good neighbour this is a better option.

good neighbour is debateable

not the first time it has done it, chased other neighbours last year

i went up after i seen it happen and the dog had bolted, i found the dog sitting on doorstep wagging his tail at me

Owner was out so I explained what happened to his wife and asked her to get him to contact me, I found him 2 hours later at my yard shining lights of his car in and looking at calves, when i arrived first thing he said "them calves look ok to me" needless to say i patted him on the back and invited him for a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GoodMan55985

good neighbour is debateable

not the first time it has done it, chased other neighbours last year

i went up after i seen it happen and the dog had bolted, i found the dog sitting on doorstep wagging his tail at me

Owner was out so I explained what happened to his wife and asked her to get him to contact me, I found him 2 hours later at my yard shining lights of his car in and looking at calves, when i arrived first thing he said "them calves look ok to me" needless to say i patted him on the back and invited him for a pint

Typical no respect for your property at all. Not even a sorry. So brazen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

hes not good enough for the boat and yet he still got paid good money for him,he looks like he was getting more than his share at the trough, the others did not look overfed just nice in my books . compare lims v part bulls are they the same for growth and shape for age, anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Watched that earlier.
    Interesting engineering exercise but that lad is either a half wit or has a death wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

bbam wrote: »
    Watched that earlier.
    Interesting engineering exercise but that lad is either a half wit or has a death wish.

She'd be some yoke on a long draw.

She'd be some yoke on a long draw.
    Or just going for a pint of milk.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

That lad must work for a contractor the way he digs up the field :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I had a few cattle in Mohill last night. They were the ones that I took the pics of last july and posted on here. One was the red bb that some people pointed out would not be a good seller for the export market because of his colour. He was born on may 20th and weighed 305kg and made €920. I had another bb bull that was off SFL and a limousin cow, born on June 10th. He had a great end and was quite well fed. He was 265kg and made €840. Had 6 bb bulls that were April calves and had not ate as much meal and they were 290kg to 315kg and they averaged €2.90 per kg with the exception of 1 that had a belly and was down at €2.50/kg.

Had 3 Ch Bulls born in April. 1 was an exceptional looking animal (In my mind anyway) and at 305kg he made €880. I thought he would cross the ton, but maybe he wasn't heavy enough for shipping and perhaps too well done for farmers. Had a second guy that had a slight belly and weighed 290kg and he sold for €840. I really thought that there was far more than €40 in the difference of them.

Had 5 heifers in it and was extremely disappointed to only get a litle more than €2 per kg. They went anyway with the best one coming home to a neighbour's farm - 280kg = €620. She was early may born and off my best breeding cow. He got a good deal.

Sorry lads, its a bit late asking for pics now that they are gone! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

So Relig on a scale of 1-10 for happiness with your prices received where abouts are ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

I lost a calf two years ago. Lovely ch bull about three months old. He ate silage wrap and it basically smothered him. He was dead when I got home from work but I sent him to the lab and that was the verdict.

Tipp Man wrote: »
    So Relig on a scale of 1-10 for happiness with your prices received where abouts are ya?

I bet he is up above 8. Lads farming in heavy wet land, have to keep positive, or else the "bush", would take over:o

reilig wrote: »
    Sorry lads, its a bit late asking for pics now that they are gone! ;)

Ah do we really have to askin' ??! :D:p

Muckit wrote: »
    Ah do we really have to askin' ??! :D:p

If I hade a few of them kind of calves, I would have a framed picture on the mantlepiece:P Not looking good this year, I'm afraid. But the thing about farming, is there is always next year:cool:

• Advertisement

Tipp Man wrote: »

Happy with the bulls. My average price per KG is up on last year a little bit. Not very happy with the heifers. I just about broke even with them.

I'm going to be absolutely ruthless with my cows this winter. Anything that had a bad calf last year is being culled. Have 7 to go in the next few weeks. In the long term, its better to keep heifers off my good cows as replacements!!

reilig

do you use any other marts around, I have 4 bb heifers booked into ballymote tomorrow, i find in ballymote that the bb are hard to sell, have you found this
    was going to try leitrim and might do if prices dont stack up

ye d black n white in particular but he d stamp of his mammy all belly!!

adne wrote: »
    I think that's the price of those cattle. You prob would have done as well to sell them 8 weeks ago. Average cattle pushed too far!!!

in fairness the same type of weanling at 100 kgs lighter was making the same per kg as these lads on tuesday night. for the last month they were averaging 1.62kgs per day gain with meal and silage costs of €1.48 per day that left us making over €2 per head clear profit each day over the last month. So my thought is not that they were "pushed too far" but maybe i should have kept them longer and aim for more weight. normally i see cattle at 350kgs averaging more per kg than 500kg+ cattle but not so the other night. Thoughts welcome!!

leg wax wrote: »
    hes not good enough for the boat and yet he still got paid good money for him,he looks like he was getting more than his share at the trough, the others did not look overfed just nice in my books . compare lims v part bulls are they the same for growth and shape for age, anyone.
    parts way ahead for growth rate similar shape imo legs

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

Neighbour told me a while back that he was losing calves at a shocking rate.
    Ended up getting a post mortem done on one of them. Stomach was full of wrap.
    Think he put the loss of 8-9 of them down to it.
    His place wouldnt be the tidiest. Only realised they had access to the plastic when he went looking himself.
    There was a load of plactic buried in the middle of a load of spoil dumped in the corner of a field.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GoodMan55985

Hugo29 on the marts. Dowra on the Cavan\Leitrim border is good. It on a Saturday too handy when working. It is 40-45 mins from Sligo. I find them good to deal with and get fair price based on quality of your stock. Just if you not happy in other place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

I have in a bad way

thanks goodman. i have heard good things about dowra

reilig

do you use any other marts around, I have 4 bb heifers booked into ballymote tomorrow, i find in ballymote that the bb are hard to sell, have you found this
    was going to try leitrim and might do if prices dont stack up

I've never sold an animal in ballymote, but i think they do have some good export buyers who shop there ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement