Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

towzer2010 wrote: »
    They are both heifers so I'm going to keep them for cows. They should have loads of milk and that bit more shape to transfer to the calf.... Well that's the hope anyway. I'll give them a LM first and see how they go.

I gave both of them the LM bull MBP this year so I'll see what they turn out like. BB should be good off them as well I think.

I have a small black lim cow, with 25% friesian. Always runs with the stock char bull. Strangely she usually throws a nice red calf, as in limousine red.
    This year she landed this mousey colour heifer, which I'm keeping for replacement. Like you, I think she might make a good dam for a blue in due course. Pic was taken back in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

I have a small black lim cow, with 25% friesian. Always runs with the stock char bull. Strangely she usually throws a nice red calf, as in limousine red.
    This year she landed this mousey colour heifer, which I'm keeping for replacement. Like you, I think she might make a good dam for a blue in due course. Pic was taken back in the summer.

Exactly the same as my two minus the white socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Lovely calf for breeding. Have a number of heifers and cows of a similar breed and colour and they are probably the best all rounders we have. A neighbour, a few years ago, had a cow like her and bred a BB heifer off her. Sold her in the Winter fair in Carrick on Shannon for €5000. A few people that had seen the cow commented that she wouldn't be the type of cow you would expect to breed such an animal. Neighbour replied that the buyer never sees the cows when he brings weinlings to the mart!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

johnpawl wrote: »
    Ya, she's about 16 months in the picture.

I was wondering were you trying to fool us into thinking she was still on that cow!!!! :D:D:D......... they're just grazing together... phew!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Quick question here, If I signed a long term lease on rented land (say 5/10yrs), and that land was sold in the meanwhile, what would happen my lease? Would it only be passed through to the new owners if it was sold on the bases that the lease has to continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Timmaay wrote: »
    Quick question here, If I signed a long term lease on rented land (say 5/10yrs), and that land was sold in the meanwhile, what would happen my lease? Would it only be passed through to the new owners if it was sold on the bases that the lease has to continue.

You have the land leased so you will have to sign out of it. You could be sound and peaceful and look for nothing. Or you could be thick and contrary and take him to the cleaners. I think I am right but I was wrong once before!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ah right, so the landowner would be stupid to sign a lease now if he knew there is a chance that he'll sell before its up? I currently rent land off a chap on a 1year lease at a time, he had it forsale, but now there is talk that he'll hang onto it for the next few years. Makes things v messy for me moving forward, not knowing what I'm at one year to the next!

Meanwhile, found this over on facebook. Looks like a pure deathwish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

thats d plan....what u think?

I'm thinking along the same lines. I'll have part heifers off AA x brfr cows and off chxaa cows, intend keeping them and putting them back in calf to part and BB hoping for quality calves. Have a couple pedigree parts too and will be interested to see how the purebreds compare to the crossbreds for thrive etc. Be curious to see how the purebreds are for milk too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Got straws off Progressive Tuesday afternoon .

Was in the yard when they arrived and i got talking to lad who was delivering them , who is also a breeding advisor .

I got HCA Limo straws for a few maidens . I wanted to use OZS as i used him last year on the heifers and the first one is due tomorrow .

He told me that his stats have changed and is not at all suitable for heifers as some cows are having difficulties calving his calves .

All well and good dodging the bullet and not using him this year , but i have a couple of heifers due from tomorrow .
    Any feedback on him ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

OZS is hard calving alright, according to his figures on ICBF.com. Maybe you'll have heifers and win both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

hugo29 wrote: »
    reilig

do you use any other marts around, I have 4 bb heifers booked into ballymote tomorrow, i find in ballymote that the bb are hard to sell, have you found this
    was going to try leitrim and might do if prices dont stack up
    How did you get an with the heifers ,i have a few next week for ballymote.
    I must post a few pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

so are we all taxed out? income tax due to come out from 15 november, mine hasnt come out yet.... have the princely sum of €12 over the amount of my tax in my account... i am with ub, my dad is with aib and his came out of his account today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭tanko

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Got straws off Progressive Tuesday afternoon .

Was in the yard when they arrived and i got talking to lad who was delivering them , who is also a breeding advisor .

I got HCA Limo straws for a few maidens . I wanted to use OZS as i used him last year on the heifers and the first one is due tomorrow .

He told me that his stats have changed and is not at all suitable for heifers as some cows are having difficulties calving his calves .

All well and good dodging the bullet and not using him this year , but i have a couple of heifers due from tomorrow .
    Any feedback on him ???

Like all heifers, they will need watching but i wouldnt be overly worried. OZS calves are long but wouldnt have a lot of muscle when born. OZS has a calving difficulty of 7.84 at 97% reliability. Milbrook Dartangan MBP has a cd of 7.98 at 98%. I would consider MBP to be a lot harder calved than OZS.

Epson EPN has a cd of 6.46 at 99% while Nesquick NSQ has a cd of 6.26 at 99%. Again i'd consider EPN a fair bit harder calved than NSQ.

These figures arent as accurate as they should be imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

had to pay mine last august as I needed a tax clearance cert and the fookers wouldn't issue 'till the tax was paid, my accountant was out sick and his stand in was useless :mad:
    whelan1 wrote: »
    so are we all taxed out? income tax due to come out from 15 november, mine hasnt come out yet.... have the princely sum of €12 over the amount of my tax in my account... i am with ub, my dad is with aib and his came out of his account today

i paid 600 per month by dd for preliminary tax made a big difference that i didnt have to sramble for the money, well worth it imo, only downfall is it comes out on the 9th of the month which cant be changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

t'would be nice if the Dept of ag paid my leased SFP before their other hand breaks my piggie bank and robs my tax due. fat chance of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Paid mine in sept because I had a few pound gathered , Its a good thing I sorted it then because I havent been paid for any work I've done since then :eek: I'll have a good ould crimbo if everyone pays up before then though .
    Did you make any headway on the bully today Whelan 1

moy83 wrote: »
    Paid mine in sept because I had a few pound gathered , Its a good thing I sorted it then because I havent been paid for any work I've done since then :eek: I'll have a good ould crimbo if everyone pays up before then though .
    Did you make any headway on the bully today Whelan 1
    principal wasnt in today, spoke to vice principal, she was brilliant...my husband drops kids to school every morning and he met the bully's mother heading in the gates of school all guns blazing... shehas the opinion that her son is hard done by in all of this:rolleyes: but i am happy to let the school deal with it now.... i have had my say, truth hurts some people

• Advertisement

fooking scrapers where out of oil again there when i went to check cows, usual crap of beating the box to get float back up, typical friday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

principal wasnt in today, spoke to vice principal, she was brilliant...my husband drops kids to school every morning and he met the bully's mother heading in the gates of school all guns blazing... shehas the opinion that her son is hard done by in all of this:rolleyes: but i am happy to let the school deal with it now.... i have had my say, truth hurts some people
    Hope your son gets over it ok now and it all stops . Its an awful thing to be going on in a childs mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

I'm thinking along the same lines. I'll have part heifers off AA x brfr cows and off chxaa cows, intend keeping them and putting them back in calf to part and BB hoping for quality calves. Have a couple pedigree parts too and will be interested to see how the purebreds compare to the crossbreds for thrive etc. Be curious to see how the purebreds are for milk too.

jasus JP great minds and all that:D.... we bought 6 part embryos a few weeks back hoping to get a small pedigree herd up and running.how u finding the pedigrees??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

good fun this week,checking the calves last sunday saw there were lads hunting nearby and met one whom i knew and he promised to keep the hounds away from my calves but had other places to be so didnt hang around.didnt check them until tues morning and you guessed it, one missing.So after much searching cant find anything but i can find where animals fell down a cliff on a hill that was near them.it falls into a big ravine of bushs and briars and i cant get in there to search it but i am fairly sure he is in there .i suppose i cant prove anything without a body but any way i cant prove anything but that puts a stop to any hunting on my run which considering i have land in 9 or 10 bits ties up half the parish.starting to think it should be banned alltogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

keep going wrote: »
    good fun this week,checking the calves last sunday saw there were lads hunting nearby and met one whom i knew and he promised to keep the hounds away from my calves but had other places to be so didnt hang around.didnt check them until tues morning and you guessed it, one missing.So after much searching cant find anything but i can find where animals fell down a cliff on a hill that was near them.it falls into a big ravine of bushs and briars and i cant get in there to search it but i am fairly sure he is in there .i suppose i cant prove anything without a body but any way i cant prove anything but that puts a stop to any hunting on my run which considering i have land in 9 or 10 bits ties up half the parish.starting to think it should be banned alltogether
    Stopped them hunting here last year. Sick of broken fences and stock frightened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

When's the eurovision on again lads? Id give this lad the nod anyway, got a great laugh at it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

keep going wrote: »

Snap. Had a calf vanish for a few days - found in among bushes - got in one of the lads from hunt to help / he brought a dog and found it. was lame and has possible pneumonia from lying down. In now hopefully it will be ok.

I leave the hunt in and do a bit. They are generaly quite obliging when I ask. - if there is any suspected problems / accidents with livestock they should normally compensate. - give them a call and tell them.

jasus JP great minds and all that:D.... we bought 6 part embryos a few weeks back hoping to get a small pedigree herd up and running.how u finding the pedigrees??

Well they're very quiet anyway, you'd have to push them out of your way. They're only 18 months old yet, but they're as big as the rest of my cows already.They'll be put in calf to bourvil and bzb soon so hoping things will go right.
    Are they the embryos advertised on donedeal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Just back there from one of the Porsche experiences at Mondello park, we had a great time.. Tis some buzz, years ago I did the rally school experience in Monaghan.. Think Mondello is the better.. Was a nice one to get for the 40th :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

had a cow calf there an hr ago, calf has spent the last 20 mins sucking the cows neck or the wall of the shed, anywhere but the tit:rolleyes:
    cow is very wicked cant go near her after calving, typical if she was quiet he would suck himself :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

had a cow calf there an hr ago, calf has spent the last 20 mins sucking the cows neck or the wall of the shed, anywhere but the tit:rolleyes:
    cow is very wicked cant go near her after calving, typical if she was quiet he would suck himself :mad:

leave it to nature :), only intervene at last resort. I would never bother trying to suckle a calf only an hour old. the mother will put him/her into position for suckling. when your not looking just to wind you up:D

Off out welding to try and accommodate todays animals, was supposed to have a guy here today welding but he had other things to do :(, pity fool here hasnt other things to do

• Advertisement

Well they're very quiet anyway, you'd have to push them out of your way. They're only 18 months old yet, but they're as big as the rest of my cows already.They'll be put in calf to bourvil and bzb soon so hoping things will go right.
    Are they the embryos advertised on donedeal?

yeh they the ones. 3 of each cross.hopefully it'l go well!

yeh they the ones. 3 of each cross.hopefully it'l go well!

what are the crosses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

bbam wrote: »
    Just back there from one of the Porsche experiences at Mondello park, we had a great time.. Tis some buzz, years ago I did the rally school experience in Monaghan.. Think Mondello is the better.. Was a nice one to get for the 40th :):)
    Now there's an idea, mine is in a few months time :rolleyes:

Do you get to drive the car for long?

what are the crosses?
    aioli x rugissant and ursul x acrobat saw both mothers on the farm.. impressive stock!! good to hear ur ladies are growthy... no bother calving part crosses close to 2yrs old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

leave it to nature :), only intervene at last resort. I would never bother trying to suckle a calf only an hour old. the mother will put him/her into position for suckling. when your not looking just to wind you up:D

Off out welding to try and accommodate todays animals, was supposed to have a guy here today welding but he had other things to do :(, pity fool here hasnt other things to do

oh your probably right but the calf lied down there and i hate to see calf lying down without sucking after that initial burst of energy, no patience sure ;)
    put the cow out of the pen with my 3 pronged friend, gave the calf 1L of that volustrom stuff, it gave her a good burst again so let lunatic back in and after another 10 mins on the neck she finally found a tit so can forget about her for the night

just do it wrote: »

Hour and a half between the practice car and the Porsche.
    If there wasn't a limit I'd still be there trying to better my times..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

bbam wrote: »

How many laps did you get in it? Also out of curiosity, what kind of laptime do those Porsches do??

How many laps did you get in it? Also out of curiosity, what kind of laptime do those Porsches do??

Got the laptime down to 1:18, not race winner time but 5 seconds ahead of the brother so mission aclompished, us auld fellas got some fight after all. Just because we have a seven seater doesn't mean I can't drive.

Fair play! Some adrenaline rush getting out on track isn't it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

just do it wrote: »

A lot of people seem to be thinking of this! I got a Ferrari for 2 hours for my brother for Christmas:D

(Also if anyone is handy with flatpacks I have a need for help with another present:P)

• Advertisement

reilig wrote: »
    I had a few cattle in Mohill last night. They were the ones that I took the pics of last july and posted on here. One was the red bb that some people pointed out would not be a good seller for the export market because of his colour. He was born on may 20th and weighed 305kg and made €920. I had another bb bull that was off SFL and a limousin cow, born on June 10th. He had a great end and was quite well fed. He was 265kg and made €840. Had 6 bb bulls that were April calves and had not ate as much meal and they were 290kg to 315kg and they averaged €2.90 per kg with the exception of 1 that had a belly and was down at €2.50/kg.

Had 3 Ch Bulls born in April. 1 was an exceptional looking animal (In my mind anyway) and at 305kg he made €880. I thought he would cross the ton, but maybe he wasn't heavy enough for shipping and perhaps too well done for farmers. Had a second guy that had a slight belly and weighed 290kg and he sold for €840. I really thought that there was far more than €40 in the difference of them.

Had 5 heifers in it and was extremely disappointed to only get a litle more than €2 per kg. They went anyway with the best one coming home to a neighbour's farm - 280kg = €620. She was early may born and off my best breeding cow. He got a good deal.

Sorry lads, its a bit late asking for pics now that they are gone! ;)

I seen them alright, I know the lad who bought the red fellow if you want to be updated on how he does:pac:

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    (Also if anyone is handy with flatpacks I have a need for help with another present:P)

I've an Ikea flat pack kitchen (Toy) to put together for our young lady (2 yrs). That'll stretch me to my limit!!

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    I seen them alright, I know the lad who bought the red fellow if you want to be updated on how he does:pac:

I was in there on thursday morning to pick up my heifer for my neighbour and saw him in the pen waiting to be collected, along with 3 or 4 more of my BB bulls.

reilig wrote: »
    I was in there on thursday morning to pick up my heifer for my neighbour and saw him in the pen waiting to be collected, along with 3 or 4 more of my BB bulls.

I think I seen you.....I was picking up a bull myself! Mr Buyer was collecting them that morning, think he had 10 altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

i was in tullow mart yesterday and someone had a few bb bulls that were brought in from romania and ended bringing them all home,i felt like running around as he came out and going haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

1chippy wrote: »
    Adne : Meant to ring today and forgot, going to call them in the morning.

Any feedback chippy1. Would be interested to know what the root cause was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

No wonder people die on farms, how stupid could you be.

No wonder people die on farms, how stupid could you be.

Apart from the obvious stupidity, the big question i have is how did they get the teleporter down into the tank?!?!

Apart from the obvious stupidity, the big question i have is how did they get the teleporter down into the tank?!?!
    was thinking that also and no mask or anything on your man in the pit.... seems to be in england looking at the reg plates

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

leg wax wrote: »
    i was in tullow mart yesterday and someone had a few bb bulls that were brought in from romania and ended bringing them all home,i felt like running around as he came out and going haha.
    Were these purebred BB breeding bulls?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement