Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

1chippy wrote: »
    Just in from carnaross, heifers were mental money e3 a kilo easily got for what i could only describe as plain heifers, saw 1 330kg make 1100.
    Cows were pretty cheap, picked up a nice dec calver, 2 purebred registered limos in calf to mas de clo made 920 and 1070. you would need to spend the money you saved on building frames to keep them in but.

dont know if limo are that bad, some are, have a purebred limo and she will stand still in the creep while you latch the calf on, last year she lay down cleaning while i latched the calf on and she has never even looked over the ditches

Cialios the commissioner is determined to reform the SFP system in order to make it fairer for poorer farmers in Eastern Europe regardless of the efforts oflarge vested interests in Ireland and western Europe . the historic system in Ireland is biased against young farmers , farmers with poorer land and new entrants.
    ,FF and O Cuiv have spotted this as a vote getter and I expect that a lot of pressure will come to bear on Coveney in the next few weeks.
    Where is the logic of propogating a system so open to abuse ,the trading of entitlements allowed anyone with any cop on to sell their low value entitlements early on and replace them with the highest value possible ,multiply their SFP and get multiple years of returns and the IFA proposes to allow this until 2020 . surely a scam .

speaking of cop on, i just realised last night you could do this, sell the average value ones and buy in the higher value, fcuking asleep at the wheel or what

wonder will it last until 2020, i am tempted to chance it now

anyway lads no point in us arguing, we will bend over and take it from europe like we always do,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

hugo29 wrote: »
    dont know if limo are that bad, some are, have a purebred limo and she will stand still in the creep while you latch the calf on, last year she lay down cleaning while i latched the calf on and she has never even looked over the ditches

I think handling has a lot to do with it. I know years ago our dairy herd was a lot harder to handle because they weren't being handled correctly. My father was the first in his family to run a dairy herd beyond a couple of cows for the house and he got in to relatively large numbers fairly quickly. The were really treated as female cattle in general. I trained in the U.K. for a while and the culture over there was completely different to what I was brought up with at home. Every herd I worked in it was a case of how quite the cows were compared to other places. You would have to fight your way up through the sheds at times they simply wouldn't move out of your way.

I changed the way we handled our stock totally when I came home and within a couple of years we could A.I. heifers standing in the middle of a yard. Most animals seen by a vet are in an open house no need of using the crush. I know sucklers are different but if calves were with quieter cows and more cows were reared where they were going to work I think the payoff in terms of ease of handling would far outweigh the bit of time put into softer handling.

Timmaay wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056186055

Going to pick myself up one from Whites of portadown soon.

timmaay

in terms of sprayer. looking at 300l from Whites €990 delivered, or €1090 for 400l

Additional cost of €150 for self fill, has anyone used the self fill from a 1000l IBC tank,

think will get the 300l with self fill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Just in from carnaross, heifers were mental money e3 a kilo easily got for what i could only describe as plain heifers, saw 1 330kg make 1100.
    Cows were pretty cheap, picked up a nice dec calver, 2 purebred registered limos in calf to mas de clo made 920 and 1070. you would need to spend the money you saved on building frames to keep them in but.

any word back on what the cause of your losses earlier this month were?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

This is exactly the reason the current system was introduced. It was all about the subsidies 15 years ago. Every decision taken was about how much more subsidy you could harvest. The country was full of screw sucklers producing s**t product that was very hard to sell. Guys were making mad decisions around sales rings based on how much premium was left to harvest from a beast, the actual market for that beast as a finished animal was irrelevant.

It had to be changed and those who are looking for a link between SFP and production are deluding themselves if they think it will lead to more money in their pockets. You end up with people renting acres at inflated prices to claim aid on them and cattle being bought simply to fill a quota of subs with no regard for the market conditions. I see plenty of suckler farmers on here and producing quality cattle has become a badge of honour, 15 years ago the nudge around the ring would be "that X got around 400 slaughter subs last year abd would you look at the yokes he's buying" the guy doing his best to produce quality was far less common than today.

The big change that is needed is in relation to the subsidies going to active farmers. Guys renting maps, or having land set for years and still claiming SFP needs to be stopped. As with milk quota use it or lose it. Land for rent should be land for rent, maps and SFP shouldn't come into it. Land for sale I would treat differently entitlements should probably transfer in a land sale.

I think this is pretty much in line with my thoughts.

The issue is how can they prevent large payments going to non active or low production farmers without linking SFP to production?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

timmaay

in terms of sprayer. looking at 300l from Whites €990 delivered, or €1090 for 400l

Additional cost of €150 for self fill, has anyone used the self fill from a 1000l IBC tank,

think will get the 300l with self fill

Depending how big ur fields paddocks are 300ltr is quiet small will do approx 2 to 2.5 acres on a fill. If some of yours r 3 acres Ull be going bck filling again !

Depending how big ur fields paddocks are 300ltr is quiet small will do approx 2 to 2.5 acres on a fill. If some of yours r 3 acres Ull be going bck filling again !

was going to have the ibc tank in field and self fill from that, was assuming 300l would do 3 acres so with IBC tank and full sprayer you could do 12 acres

was going to have the ibc tank in field and self fill from that, was assuming 300l would do 3 acres so with IBC tank and full sprayer you could do 12 acres

You'll be skimping on volume covering 3 acres with it

You'll be skimping on volume covering 3 acres with it

ok i am novice to this spraying, with the weather so bad anytime you get a good spell the contractors are so busy the spraying is last on the agenda so decided to buy me own ,
    so you recommend 300l to 2.5 acres max, and what would 400 cover so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

no need for all the water. I usually spray sub 100l/ha unless serious disease pressure. Down around 60l/ha for the beet

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

no need for all the water. I usually spray sub 100l/ha unless serious disease pressure. Down around 60l/ha for the beet

Agree with Bob here except that if you're spraying grass and stepping it or whatever I'd allow a good bit of overlap but a max of 80 litres per acre should be plenty.

I would say that I think you might regret buying a sprayer this small, if you got up to 600 or 800 litres at least you could head off a few miles and spray a few acres if the opportunity comes up. You'll be crucified filling the small tanks if you have to do any acreage at all.

jay gatsby wrote: »
    Agree with Bob here except that if you're spraying grass and stepping it or whatever I'd allow a good bit of overlap but a max of 80 litres per acre should be plenty.

I would say that I think you might regret buying a sprayer this small, if you got up to 600 or 800 litres at least you could head off a few miles and spray a few acres if the opportunity comes up. You'll be crucified filling the small tanks if you have to do any acreage at all.

yes but there is also costs, for all i would do in a year i dont know if i could justify a 600l sprayer, its mostly for weed control on pasture and silage ground or for re seeding

also i was thinking with auto fill i could use the river as all the land has running water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Have received 16 texts in the last hour from ifa. Same message repeated. My dad is getting the same. Nice to see our money is going to good use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

as far as i no they dont pay for the texs all sent from a computer

naughto wrote: »
    as far as i no they dont pay for the texs all sent from a computer
    just got another 6, tried ringing the number they come from but no answer:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

if its set up like the social welfare system text crap then its an automated number.is there any opt out option on the tex??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

reilig wrote: »
    I never said that this was my view. I was merely reporting what I had read over the past few days. I have my own view of how the money should be paid out. This would most certainly involve the cutting of payments to Larry and the likes. It would also involve the cutting of payments to non active farmers. However, it is clear that the IFA are taking the side of those who get the most money in SFP's. According to yesterday's farming Independent, they don't have major concern for new entrants, nor do they have major concern for smaller farmers. Their goal is to get SFP levels to remain the same. I don't think that this will aid the future development of irish Agriculture. SFP needs to be used to encourage development within the agricultural sector by bringing in young entrants, improving efficiency, and targeting farming practices that have potential for development.

That's my view. Its far from communist!

sorry Reilig but coming out with phrases like "forcing them to downsize" is nothing short of communism

you know its funny listening to farmers talking about the SFP - and how they want it changed to this or that - or done away with completly

Then you go onto the SFP or DAS or REPs payments threads and people are falling over themselves with panic because the money isn't in their account today and how much bother they are in. They are checking the account 10 times a day for 10 days to see if its in

Plenty of lads talk a good game but the simple fact of the matter is that if SFP was done away with in the morning then a huge amount of farmers in this country would go to the wall - starting with suckler farmers as it is the most inefficient form of farming

I have no problem with the SFP being done away with (and a corresponding drop in bull#### rules, regulations and inspections). But i would wager a fair amount that the majority would be in for a rude awakening if it did happen

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    if its set up like the social welfare system text crap then its an automated number.is there any opt out option on the tex??
    no opt out on the text... got 26 in all, they have stopped now.. was funny as i was talking to another farmer and his phone and mine kept going with the texts

yes but there is also costs, for all i would do in a year i dont know if i could justify a 600l sprayer, its mostly for weed control on pasture and silage ground or for re seeding

also i was thinking with auto fill i could use the river as all the land has running water

I have been told that some of the sprays especially for docks require a large amount of water for them to work effectively, I don't do any other spraying myself except for grassland so don't know much about that. Anyway just I think 300 is wee bit small as had one before and always running to refill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

reilig wrote: »
    You are supposed to be making profit from your farm, nor relying solely on the SFP for profit. If you produce more on your farm, then you should be aiming to make more profit from the farm - not from SFP. This should be the encouragement and the reward for working harder.

Thats fair enough Reilig but if a ceiling of 50k comes in, the effect is that farmers will reach this 50k limit by expanding up to it and then stop expanding. It would leave little incentive to expand beyond a level of production which would normally attract a 50k+ SFP.

Maybe a compromise would be a sliding scale of payments after 50k but to introduce a financial cliff at the 50k point would discourage our expanding (and therefore probably our best) farmers.

Im not gonna defend the current system, its a shambles. I've always said that linking SFP to production (maybe partly) is what the industry needs.

By the way, I would be well below your 50k limit so I'm not roaring for me my own corner here. But I accept that there are some excellent farmers out there that farm a lot bigger and better than I do.
    I'm not going to call for a system that cuts them back and gives more to me just because I'm not able to farm the acres or carry the stock that they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

. I've always said that linking SFP to production (maybe partly) is what the industry needs.

We've been there it was a gangf**k which led to a total disconnect between farming and the markets for our produce. It's not a case of don't knock it 'til you've tried it we've been there it doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I think handling has a lot to do with it. I know years ago our dairy herd was a lot harder to handle because they weren't being handled correctly. My father was the first in his family to run a dairy herd beyond a couple of cows for the house and he got in to relatively large numbers fairly quickly. The were really treated as female cattle in general. I trained in the U.K. for a while and the culture over there was completely different to what I was brought up with at home. Every herd I worked in it was a case of how quite the cows were compared to other places. You would have to fight your way up through the sheds at times they simply wouldn't move out of your way.

I changed the way we handled our stock totally when I came home and within a couple of years we could A.I. heifers standing in the middle of a yard. Most animals seen by a vet are in an open house no need of using the crush. I know sucklers are different but if calves were with quieter cows and more cows were reared where they were going to work I think the payoff in terms of ease of handling would far outweigh the bit of time put into softer handling.
    Good on you freedom. It's much harder to achieve with suckers though, particularly as a part-time farmer.

Do you give a beef breed to any of your cows? I'd nearly buy the heifers off you here and now! The benefits of quiet stock are not to be under-estimated :)

All this talk of SFP....... yawn

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The courage to change the things I can,
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

Even though I'm not religious, I always liked this saying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Tipp Man wrote: »
    ...I have no problem with the SFP being done away with (and a corresponding drop in bull#### rules, regulations and inspections). But i would wager a fair amount that the majority would be in for a rude awakening if it did happen
    Likewise, I hear of young Dairy Farmers looking forward to the milk quotas going and how they are gearing up for production. I guess most are not old enough to remember the milk lakes or butter mountains, when Europe was over producing and no market to take it. Be careful what you wish for.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Likewise, I hear of young Dairy Farmers looking forward to the milk quotas going and how they are gearing up for production. I guess most are not old enough to remember the milk lakes or butter mountains, when Europe was over producing and no market to take it. Be careful what you wish for.

Agreed completly pakalasa - was going to mention that in my post but thought it might not be well accepted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

Tipp Man wrote: »
    you know its funny listening to farmers talking about the SFP - and how they want it changed to this or that - or done away with completly

Then you go onto the SFP or DAS or REPs payments threads and people are falling over themselves with panic because the money isn't in their account today and how much bother they are in. They are checking the account 10 times a day for 10 days to see if its in

Plenty of lads talk a good game but the simple fact of the matter is that if SFP was done away with in the morning then a huge amount of farmers in this country would go to the wall - starting with suckler farmers as it is the most inefficient form of farming

I have no problem with the SFP being done away with (and a corresponding drop in bull#### rules, regulations and inspections). But i would wager a fair amount that the majority would be in for a rude awakening if it did happen

The reason people are waiting for these payments to be in there accouts is that these very payments are keeping down the price of produce that we sell. If everbody was forced to live without payments consumers would have to pay more or it simply wouldnt be produced at a loss.

This wont happen because dont forget all those civil servants need to be kept working.

In an Ideal world food would sell at above the cost of production and public money would be used to help the worst off in society to afford this food.

Just spotted Black Smoke has closed his account. Another poster gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

just do it wrote: »
    He'll be back I bet, I have a feeling he had an account before black smoke too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

He'll be back I bet, I have a feeling he had an account before black smoke too ;)

why would people do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Who knows.

mf240 wrote: »

The reason people are waiting for these payments to be in there accouts is that these very payments are keeping down the price of produce that we sell. If everbody was forced to live without payments consumers would have to pay more or it simply wouldnt be produced at a loss.

This wont happen because dont forget all those civil servants need to be kept working.

In an Ideal world food would sell at above the cost of production and public money would be used to help the worst off in society to afford this food.

The increase in prices won't happen in reality or if it did then it would be slow to happen. Too late for most.

Beef, tillage and milk are currently selling at or above world prices, which is where we are selling

People expecting this big increase in prices if SFP went would be sadly mistaken I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

adne wrote: »
    any word back on what the cause of your losses earlier this month were?
    Still waiting, rang and still no conclusive results, i'd say they are getting sick of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Have mainly limos here too, but i wouldnt take these if they were given away, absolutaly lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Have mainly limos here too, but i wouldnt take these if they were given away, absolutaly lethal.

Have a few purebred Limo females here myself. They are as quiet as you'll get but I've experienced the other types too.
    A Lim 1.5 year old heifer (bought in) nailed me a month ago with a kick I never saw coming.. burst a vessel in my lower leg and I still have pain. Another limo bull weanling attacked me in the autumn after dosing him. I rarely hit my stock and am not excitable but.....just like humans....some are just plain nasty!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Have a few purebred Limo females here myself. They are as quiet as you'll get but I've experienced the other types too.
    A Lim 1.5 year old heifer (bought in) nailed me a month ago with a kick I never saw coming.. burst a vessel in my lower leg and I still have pain. Another limo bull weanling attacked me in the autumn after dosing him. I rarely hit my stock and am not excitable but.....just like humans....some are just plain nasty!:mad:

i disbudded 4 strong white char bull calves for a fella one evening, they were like 2 months old but still possible to do with the gas under local anaesthetic, anyways like your lad after dosing and i never saw it coming after i let one lad out he tackled me like a dog.. i had to jump up onto the calf crate to get away from him... he went nuts and for a young calf i couldnt believe it... now the owner had him half excited before going into the crate trying to jamm him in with a big awkward 12ft gate in a small space which didnt help

Still waiting, rang and still no conclusive results, i'd say they are getting sick of me.
    Have they given you a timeline? Nothing worse than being kept waiting, esp when your farm income for the year has been decimated. At least if you had an idea when you'd have a result you could relax til then.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Bodacious wrote: »
    i disbudded 4 strong white char bull calves for a fella one evening, they were like 2 months old but still possible to do with the gas under local anaesthetic, anyways like your lad after dosing and i never saw it coming after i let one lad out he tackled me like a dog.. i had to jump up onto the calf crate to get away from him... he went nuts and for a young calf i couldnt believe it... now the owner had him half excited before going into the crate trying to jamm him in with a big awkward 12ft gate in a small space which didnt help

A local high-stool graduate reckons its a reaction to the injection that puts some stock agressive..:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭flat out !!

Anyone at the dairy conference in mullingar yesterday.? Any exciting news from it.? €60 for tegasc clients is steep enough for it.

• Advertisement

yes some can be crazy, remember at mart one day and this smashing limo second calver arrived in the ring, you could see the natives getting ready for a bidding war, then bang she done her best to jump out of the ring, when they let her back into holding pen she cleared the gate and took off through the mart, needless to say she went home with the original owner,

if she was mine i would have left her in the trailer and bought her a one way ticket to the factory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

I used to have a LM cow that was a bit excitable but one year the calf was coming backwards so I had a bit of trouble bringing him. She went nuts and was that way afterward. Whenever she saw me she would start coming for me.

I decided to get rid of her after the calf was reared but neighbours bull broke in and I chanced her another year. I was always very wary of her but when I had the herd test and the Vet went to give her the jab she turned her head and bit the injector out of his hand and tried her best to get out at us.

He said to me "if you dont get rid of her she will get rid of you". I sent her off to the factory three days later.

I still have some LM cows and all are quiet. I think no matter what breed you have if they are wild its time for the factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

had to go dow town there in galway now, youd think it was 6 o clock in the evening it was so dark outside and lashing rain..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

had to go dow town there in galway now, youd think it was 6 o clock in the evening it was so dark outside and lashing rain..

Just checked earlier and we'd had 18mm of rain in the previous 24 hours. All this rain on top of already saturated ground. I have fields so bad that it's hard to see them dry out at all, even if next spring is dry it mightnt be enough.

bbam wrote: »
    Just checked earlier and we'd had 18mm of rain in the previous 24 hours. All this rain on top of already saturated ground. I have fields so bad that it's hard to see them dry out at all, even if next spring is dry it mightnt be enough.
    just in from bringing in some heifers, ground was so wet, really hard to walk on...

i have 5 april born weanlings left on 9 acres and they are starting to poach, its that wet, will have to try to make room for them in the shed

although yesterday was a great drying day, and then last night the sky opened again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

nows the time to get the rain so dont compain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

just do it wrote: »

More's the pity. His posts were always worth reading. (what ever name he used:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

leg wax wrote: »
    nows the time to get the rain so dont compain

I know, I know.
    But it's just relentless, I have quite a few fields that I could suck up with a slurry tank at this stage. Marginal land in a good year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I know, I know.
    But it's just relentless

That's just it. No respite from it at all. Even good dry land is saturated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement