Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

A local high-stool graduate reckons its a reaction to the injection that puts some stock agressive..:confused:
    If someone stuck a red hot iron into the side of my head, not just once but twice, I think I've be having a go at them (local our no local)

towzer2010 wrote: »
    I still have some LM cows and all are quiet. I think no matter what breed you have if they are wild its time for the factory.
    Similar story with a cow calving and unfortunately have a dislocated collar bone for my troubles. I'd culled a few wild ones but took a chance on this one as she produced a great calf with no hassles.

I now have a few FL22 heifer weanlings off quiet cows and am trying to build up numbers. Dilemmas dilemmas! The Clash song comes to mind "should I stay our should I go" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

just do it wrote: »
    If someone stuck a red hot iron into the side of my head, not just once but twice, I think I've be having a go at them (local our no local)

We all have the odd wild one. Mostly you can see where it comes, eg the cow/bull, but looking at a couple of different lads dehorning, I've noticed them giving the local anastetic in the wrong place, giving precious little time for it to work and then complaining its worthless.
    Hand on heart I have ploughed on too when I should have given more time perhaps, there's none of us perfect!

Bizzum wrote: »

We all have the odd wild one. Mostly you can see where it comes, eg the cow/bull, but looking at a couple of different lads dehorning, I've noticed them giving the local anastetic in the wrong place, giving precious little time for it to work and then complaining its worthless.
    Hand on heart I have ploughed on too when I should have given more time perhaps, there's none of us perfect!
    I agree completely.

Another thing to ensure is the cow can't get at you. A fella near me got a bad going over from the cow. It was his first year sucking after being in dairing all his life. It won't happen him again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

any one tried this DEHorner appartus yet, had a go at it last year, have to say it was great, calves done after one week in the crate when they are still manageable and it worked on 90% of calves,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

we had a smasher of a bb limo bull calf this yr he was grand but after we taged him every time we went in to the field he would take off.
    then when we got around to dosing him,jesus i have never seen any thing like it got him in to the shed with the rest nice and handly,but lord it took a good hald and hour to get him in to the crush.

when we did get him done (he was about 4 months at this stage)he tried to jump over the barrier in the shed and half hung him self on it,we had to lift him off it all the time he was trying to do us with his head.

my brother went straight on to the site where u register them and deregisterd him and tore up the cert.we usually just bring them to the mart and let some 1 else have him,but we said no better to hang him in case he hurts some 1 he was that mad.
    we where thinking that the cow must have got a puck when in calf and hurt the calf cos he was never right in the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Just when on topic with mental cattle, there was a bull weanling that eith broke his neck or just collapsed with a heart attack in Mohill last night. Poor bugger just hit the gate out of the ring at the wrong angle as he didn't seem to be too wild.
    At home here, most of ours are LimX or purebred LM. We never have a problem with them but as they are handled/halter trained from a young age and see the same people every day, coupled with a radio in the shed so they hear strange voices, we don't have any problems. Although I have noticed that black LMx seem a bit flightier.

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Although I have noticed that black LMx seem a bit flightier.
    The red-heads of the bovine world :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Just when on topic with mental cattle, there was a bull weanling that eith broke his neck or just collapsed with a heart attack in Mohill last night. Poor bugger just hit the gate out of the ring at the wrong angle as he didn't seem to be too wild.

Who would be responsible for paying for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Bizzum wrote: »
    That's just it. No respite from it at all. Even good dry land is saturated.

as far as I know, once his feet touch the mart its there responsibility, could be wrong, or maybe if VET says it was natural causes its different,

neighbour of mine had animal injured in mart and the mart had to pay up, probably got better money than if sold in the ring too

• Advertisement

reilig wrote: »
    Who would be responsible for paying for him?

That would be an ecumenical matter Father :p

Lol, no, I've just noticed it in our own cattle. I'm no longer a redhead myself. *le sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Careful now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

noticed a big purebred char cow i have is showing her bearing when lying down now, why does that happen anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Just back from the solicitors. Signed the paperwork and the farm is now in my name. I feel so grown up! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Just back from the solicitors. Signed the paperwork and the farm is now in my name. I feel so grown up! :D

Well done bogman, the very best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Just had a look at the long term forecast over on YR..
    weatherd.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

I'll take that... cold bright dry days !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭tanko

noticed a big purebred char cow i have is showing her bearing when lying down now, why does that happen anyone know?

Was her last calving a hard one? As long as it doesnt come out of her she should be ok. If it comes out she will need to be stiched. Her next calf (if she is incalf) might be her last as this condition usually keeps getting worse.

Party time, when and where and I'll be there;)

(oh wait a minute, I forgot there for a moment that I'm married with kids, can I've about 6 weeks notice and a really really really good excuse!!!)

Party time, when and where and I'll be there;)

(oh wait a minute, I forgot there for a moment that I'm married with kids, can I've about 6 weeks notice and a really really really good excuse!!!)

We'll leave the "farm walk" till the new year Just do it;) (pick up a few bottles on the way!)

• Advertisement

I've seen this quite a bit with older roomy cows how've had a good few calves. Just things are getting a bit looser (vulva in particular) and when they lie down what was normally held in by the vulva flaps out a bit. The vagina has stretched as well with time and all the internal ligaments will have stretched. What you see is the vaginal wall. If it gets bad it can get infected but most times they get on fine and it causes them no hassle, particularly at this time of year as there are no flies around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

congrats , its a great feeling to be the boss even though the original boss hates to fully let go, around here at least. saying that could not manage without him, he said it was a new lease of life not having to worry anymore

aye I doubt he'll ever fully let go but the old head knows a bit (even if I find it hard to admitt it) We're lucky that the two of us get on very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

bbam wrote: »
    Just had a look at the long term forecast over on YR..
    weatherd.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

I'll take that... cold bright dry days !!

Ah dont tell the world, I have a contractor booked hopefully for the end of next, dont want everyone shouting at him when the fine day comes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You hoping to pull beet Bob?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

aye I doubt he'll ever fully let go but the old head knows a bit (even if I find it hard to admitt it) We're lucky that the two of us get on very well
    Happy days, great to hear ye get on well. Obviously a good sign too when he took the big leap and signed the place over. I'd love to have "d'auld fella" around to "keep an eye".

Best of luck and, like a lot of people on here feel, make the most of it for the few years that you are the custodian until you pass it on again:).

Ah dont tell the world, I have a contractor booked hopefully for the end of next, dont want everyone shouting at him when the fine day comes
    I got a roll of plastic last week for the straw bales I was going to keep outside (managed to find space for them in the shed, thankfully). Michael asked what I was at and I told him I was only getting around to the 1st cut. You could see he wasn't sure whether to believe me or not! I left him with the thought:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

blue5000 wrote: »
    You hoping to pull beet Bob?

hoping, father hasnt yet launched the idea of "sure we will pull a bit by hand" its seriously screwing up my feed situation not having beet as i using way too much maize and wholecrop. I will finish up having plenty of beet and no forage to go with it. Sugar beet this year has some value if I put a for sale sign on it considering Magnum fodder beet is trading €50+,

So when she gets up all looks normal?
    Is she incalf?

We had one with a prolapsing vagina, a big PB CH too (By NWK), horrid looking job, it got progressively worse the heavier incalf she became, when she got sick to calve it dissappeared and we calved her as normal. We didnt chance her back incalf though. I'm led to believe there's a genetic link with it.

• Advertisement

The very best of good luck!

We're all only minding it for the next generation.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

just do it and bizzum
    she calved there about a mth ago, calved herself, no bother, never noticed it before she calved either, i have another little cow thats heavy in calf and she is starting to show it now as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

congrats bogman let me know when that "field walk" is on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

briliant:)

A bullock of mine had his penis stood on last week by another bullock in the pen, I took him out and gave penstrip. I noticed a bit of blood tonight but nothing serious although there is a swollen ball appearing on the tip of his penis and it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all, however I would be open to suggestions on what to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4194288

Anyone ever do a deal with these sellers? Seem to have some nice stock on occasions..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

saranac1 wrote: »
    A bullock of mine had his penis stood on last week by another bullock in the pen, I took him out and gave penstrip. I noticed a bit of blood tonight but nothing serious although there is a swollen ball appearing on the tip of his penis and it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all, however I would be open to suggestions on what to do
    Only in the Farming forum could you ask a question like that.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

a hand job :):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

pakalasa wrote: »
    Only in the Farming forum could you ask a question like that.:D
    Bring back LC :D

Well if yours was stood on by a bullock, what would you do? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Well if yours was stood on by a bullock, what would you do? :rolleyes:

Whenever I get a growth on mine I dip it in Jeyes fluid and give it a scrub of the wire brush:D. Works wonders.

Whenever I get a growth on mine I dip it in Jeyes fluid and give it a scrub of the wire brush:D. Works wonders.

....................and I wonder why I'm single in the farming world...:p

....................and I wonder why I'm single in the farming world...:p

You're better off I think. . . . what with growths and all

No harm in a bit of banter on a late wintery Thursday night

I think I'll invest in an upgrade and get myself a BVD tag :P

No harm in a bit of banter on a late wintery Thursday night

I'm starting to think I'm in a lonely hearts website

Pics or GTFO:D:D:D

I'm starting to think I'm in a lonely hearts website
    A mate of mine had his penis stood on last week by a woman in the club, I took him out and gave penstrip. I noticed a bit of blood tonight but nothing serious although there is a swollen ball appearing on the tip of his penis and it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all, however I would be open to suggestions on what to do

Any better?

:D

Any better?

Haahaa agghhhh hear leave it out

Any better?

Considerably