Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    ....................and I wonder why I'm single in the farming world...:p

You're probably looking in the wrong places.......... Try here. Ya could get lucky:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

congrats bogman let me know when that "field walk" is on:D

thanks for the good wishes folks! Now I can base my farm management totally on the advice of random strangers on the internet. Cant fail! ;):D

thanks for the good wishes folks! Now I can base my farm management totally on the advice of random strangers on the internet. Cant fail! ;):D

Don't go halfarsed about it anyway:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Bizzum wrote: »
    You're probably looking in the wrong places.......... Try here. Ya could get lucky:D

Now where did you meet my brother?

I hope he doesn't know my username

All or nothing Bizzum!

Now where did you meet my brother?

I hope he doesn't know my username

On the Bog!;)

On the Bog!;)

....must stave temptation of posting toilet pictures.......:pac:

And I just sold two kittens. Ice to an eskimo :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Well if yours was stood on by a bullock, what would you do? :rolleyes:

Had a tb test today, clear thank God, young bull kicked me in the balls as I was putting them in the crush. I wasn't able to kick him back:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    young bull kicked me in the balls as I was putting them in the crush.:(

What in the name of jaysus were ya putting your balls in the crush for?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Where's muckit when you need him. ...... Newly married probably busy ......

ouch! happened me once. I dropped like a sack of spuds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

ouch! happened me once. I dropped like a sack of spuds

Pussy:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

just do it and bizzum
    she calved there about a mth ago, calved herself, no bother, never noticed it before she calved either, i have another little cow thats heavy in calf and she is starting to show it now as well
    Has she had many calves? I culled a good cow 2yrs ago because at 1st AI post calving the AI man said the uterus had stretched and he couldn't reach the cervix. Naturally she was one of the better ones as well :rolleyes:

saranac1 wrote: »

A bullock of mine had his penis stood on last week by another bullock in the pen, I took him out and gave penstrip. I noticed a bit of blood tonight but nothing serious although there is a swollen ball appearing on the tip of his penis and it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all, however I would be open to suggestions on what to do
    Ring Joe Duffy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

just do it wrote: »
    Has she had many calves? I culled a good cow 2yrs ago because at 1st AI post calving the AI man said the uterus had stretched and he couldn't reach the cervix. Naturally she was one of the better ones as well :rolleyes:

this is her 4th calf for me anyway, she is born oct 2004 so she is getting on abit i guess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

went to a table quiz last night- for ms- hadnt been at one in a while... great crack, we didnt win but didnt make a show of ourselves, between the 4 of us we came away with 8 spot prizes, so the 20 euro entry fee was well covered....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

jerdee wrote: »
    Where's muckit when you need him. ...... Newly married probably busy ......

I'm very busy at that hour late now jerdee...

bom chica wah wah ..... :p:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4194288

Anyone ever do a deal with these sellers? Seem to have some nice stock on occasions..
    They are sound ,bought a good few there ,ok to deal with and the stock you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4194288

Anyone ever do a deal with these sellers? Seem to have some nice stock on occasions..

Sound lads.. bought of them a few times with no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

saranac1 wrote: »
    A bullock of mine had his penis stood on last week by another bullock in the pen, I took him out and gave penstrip. I noticed a bit of blood tonight but nothing serious although there is a swollen ball appearing on the tip of his penis and it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all, however I would be open to suggestions on what to do

From my own expierence once he can piss he'll be grand.
    Happens the odd time here with the bulls and all the b*lloxin' they'd be at.

If he's not pissing or starts to lose condition/form its a whole different kettle of fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭tanko

Just wondering does anyone vaccinate their in-calf cows against salmonella?
    If so, when do you do it and what product do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Muckit wrote: »

I'm very busy at that hour late now jerdee...

bom chica wah wah ..... :p:D:p

Make the most of it .... Here in hospital with my five week old decking weather bronchitis but all doing well . I think everybody should pay a visit once in a while to see how lucky to have good health.

jerdee wrote: »
    Make the most of it .... Here in hospital with my five week old decking weather bronchitis but all doing well . I think everybody should pay a visit once in a while to see how lucky to have good health.
    been there done that... best of luck , no matter how bad you think your kid is , it opens your eyes to see some of the other kids there.. the only tip i have is vicks or similar on the soles of their feet- think you can only use "snuggle baby" on young babies apparently it goes through the pores of their feet up to their airways... worked for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

tanko wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone vaccinate their in-calf cows against salmonella?
    If so, when do you do it and what product do you use?

yes

bovivac-s initially you must give 2 shots about 30 days apart & then 1 shot annually which I give about 2 months before calving

Just watching Grand Designs. They're admiring the native flowers that have taken over the green roof.....ragworth :rolleyes:

just do it wrote: »
    Just watching Grand Designs. They're admiring the native flowers that have taken over the green roof.....ragworth :rolleyes:

Yea, and in a few years they'll have a sea of yellow everywhere..

I was in a garden centre a few years ago... Rushes for sale, 99% just common rush... I could be rich :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

bbam wrote: »
    Yea, and in a few years they'll have a sea of yellow everywhere..

I was in a garden centre a few years ago... Rushes for sale, 99% just common rush... I could be rich :rolleyes:

This time next year Rodney..........

chilly out this morning...

whelan1 wrote: »
    chilly out this morning...

Yep.
    Real brass monkey weather. So white it looks like snow at first glance. Fog coming down now too. Had been hoping for a nice bright day.

Love bright frosty weather. Clean and fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Was at a farm walk yesterday for the burren life in carron. The fellow whos farm we were at is only in the scheme with 3 years but the amount of work he had done was unbeliveable and the standard was second to none. He had restored a lot of internal drystone walls, cut a lot of scrub and managed to lay blocks around a few poor springs of water and he had a couple of drinking points around his winterage because of this. On a poor enough winterage he was keeping 15 cows from the middle of October to the middle of March with no feeding whatsoever. I should have taken a few pics but there was a lot of people around and I dindt want to be seen :o , would have done anyone good to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

Was at a farm walk yesterday for the burren life in carron. The fellow whos farm we were at is only in the scheme with 3 years but the amount of work he had done was unbeliveable and the standard was second to none. He had restored a lot of internal drystone walls, cut a lot of scrub and managed to lay blocks around a few poor springs of water and he had a couple of drinking points around his winterage because of this. On a poor enough winterage he was keeping 15 cows from the middle of October to the middle of March with no feeding whatsoever. I should have taken a few pics but there was a lot of people around and I dindt want to be seen :o , would have done anyone good to see it.

i cant understand how he can keep them out all winter is there enough to keep them well fed??

naughto wrote: »
    i cant understand how he can keep them out all winter is there enough to keep them well fed??

They wouldnt be fat coming out of it but they would be fit and healthy, he had all his cows in calf to a charolais and was calving them all outside on the winterage with little difficulty. We normally feed our own cows nuts for a month or 6 weeks depending on condition before they calve but he was getting away without doing it. The winterages wouldnt be grazed all summer so theres usually a good bit of grass when they go into them. Heres a pic of one of our own cows from last spring, only calved a few hours and after 4 months on the winterage, it would give you an idea of how they hold outside.
    DSC00132.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gluckantanks

Anyone milking cows should watch this!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Lads I have 10 limousine & charlaois 1 st time heifers calving in feb march 2013.

They are out on the land now with round feeder of silage

I intend to throw them a bale of oaten straw soon for the calf and stomach

There weights are 450+ kg

I also intend to give them bolus tablets 6 weeks before calving

Is there anything else or ideas I should know about

It is our first time calving as well!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Here's my stab at Sat night humour! Check it out:D (Not suitable for kids!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=m0UDMH9WWRA&NR=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Them sminky shorts are funny Tommy the tortoise is my favourite

very cold this morning, my poor fingers are still numb

• Advertisement

moy83 wrote: »
    Them sminky shorts are funny Tommy the tortoise is my favourite

The awful sad one is very good too, reminds me of nearly every funeral I have been to

I got new seals put on the rams of the loader the other day and the auld lad put them back on yesterday. He made a bit of a hiccup and put the rams on upside down and when he lifted the loader he made ****e of the thread part where the hose goes on both rams, Anyone know can it be fixed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The awful sad one is very good too, reminds me of nearly every funeral I have been to

The Fat Rabbit one has to be the best ha! I certainly know afew people like that ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I got new seals put on the rams of the loader the other day and the auld lad put them back on yesterday. He made a bit of a hiccup and put the rams on upside down and when he lifted the loader he made ****e of the thread part where the hose goes on both rams, Anyone know can it be fixed?
    Ya, you can weld on a new fitting to the ram? I had it done to a ram here recently. It needs to be a decent weld though. MIG welding might be more suitable than arc welding. Welds tend to be cleaner, so no leaks.

Are you sure the male part of the fitting can't be removed from the rams and replaced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

job for martin tierney id say redzer

pakalasa wrote: »
    Ya, you can weld on a new fitting to the ram? I had it done to a ram here recently. It needs to be a decent weld though. MIG welding might be more suitable than arc welding. Welds tend to be cleaner, so no leaks.

Are you sure the male part of the fitting can't be removed from the rams and replaced?
    It will have to be cut off pak, no other way of taking it off.
    job for martin tierney id say redzer

Thanks for that vander, never even thought of him, was going to bring it to tj but he might be better at them kinda jobs.

• Advertisement

Went shooting today with Dad for the first time in a while. Not for rabbits or aout, just for fun. First time I've ever shot with larger pellets, strange, I wasn't ready for it but I still peppered the lid 30mtrs away:D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Hey pak, you must be working really hard these days... Based on your signature! :p
    Salt/grit truck out here this evening, flashing 0c in the van

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hey pak, you must be working really hard these days... Based on your signature! :p
    Salt/grit truck out here this evening, flashing 0c in the van

0 degrees? Where abiuts are you Charlie?

It's lashing rain here with the past few hours, and it rained savage as well early this morning :(

Anyone any experience of having a calf born with a front on him like a bulldog. The shoulders rotating in and out, cant rightly get up or walk about?

Anyone any experience of having a calf born with a front on him like a bulldog. The shoulders rotating in and out, cant rightly get up or walk about?

I had something similar with a dwarf calf last year. If it's the same thing it would look like his 'elbows' are backwards? It took mine 5/6 days of nursing to walk and suck by itself. Anyways I'm off to Carrick for the day:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement