Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

mother of jayus,

the council want fcuking 1500 euro for a water connection, am setting up paddocks

764 for administration and plumbing and fitting charges, 715 for the privilage of providing me the water

what a shower of you know what

you know what they then send a list of approved contractors to find the main and dig the road for another 700 euro, are these fellas out of the boom times at all yet,

i am awful tempted to tap on and say fcuk all, my man can bore under the road,

and while i am moaning

whats the story with this weather

i thought it was cold dry frosty days, its showery here at moment although in fairness it has been good all weekend

crikes is the pub open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

hugo29 wrote: »
    and while i am moaning

whats the story with this weather

i thought it was cold dry frosty days, its showery here at moment although in fairness it has been good all weekend

crikes is the pub open
    ah now, drink never solved anything, just eases the pain for a while.:D sfp should be in next week so happy days- for a few days- have santa letters to fulfill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

whelan1 wrote: »
    ah now, drink never solved anything, just eases the pain for a while.:D sfp should be in next week so happy days- for a few days- have santa letters to fulfill

SFP

Santas
    Final
    Payment

i will have to tell the kids that santy cant come, had to pay the council for a water connection

just to finish myself off altogether, i rang the Suckler sections today about payments for Welfare Scheme, seen on journal that payments were to commence next week, checked status of my calves on line and none were approved yet, called to see what was happening, "apparantly the good old systems are being checked" i wonder how these fellas can keep a straight face when they say that

i wonder have the americans any of those bunker busters going spare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

bbam wrote: »
    SFP

Santas
    Final
    Payment

:D:D

mother of jayus,

the council want fcuking 1500 euro for a water connection, am setting up paddocks

764 for administration and plumbing and fitting charges, 715 for the privilage of providing me the water

you know what they then send a list of approved contractors to find the main and dig the road for another 700 euro, are these fellas out of the boom times at all yet,

It doesn't sound too bad compared to boring your own well. How much per m3 are they going to charge you for the supply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

mother of jayus,

say nothing untill you hear more.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    I had something similar with a dwarf calf last year. If it's the same thing it would look like his 'elbows' are backwards? It took mine 5/6 days of nursing to walk and suck by itself. Anyways I'm off to Carrick for the day:D

I was planning to splash out there today for some fancy little sim/hrd heifers but got sidetracked and wont make it...
    Will you let us know what the trade was like later?;)

It doesn't sound too bad compared to boring your own well. How much per m3 are they going to charge you for the supply?
    dont know have to check with Veoila on that one as well as the quarterly rates

this country is a rip off

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    say nothing untill you hear more.

yep my thoughts exactly, except some nosey git will spot it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

yeah? I was talking to some guys at a show in millstreet a few weeks ago, and they said a 200ft well would be fairly typical, and would cost around 3 grand.

If hugo's at €2200 already, and with water charges to come on top I'd be seriously exploring my options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

D sfp should be in next week so happy days- for a few days- have santa letters to fulfill
    Did you get it in writing or was it a verbal agreement if the latter it could be subject to change as a neighbour found out last year after she had spent nearly €2k on her 2 darlings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

JohnBoy wrote: »
    yeah? I was talking to some guys at a show in millstreet a few weeks ago, and they said a 200ft well would be fairly typical, and would cost around 3 grand.

If hugo's at €2200 already, and with water charges to come on top I'd be seriously exploring my options.

I put in a well 3 years ago - 400ft deep + 1.5HP submersible pump for around 4k. I would imagine prices haven't increased by that much (if any)

As John Boy said - I'd look at all options...

JohnBoy wrote: »

Pumps don't run for nothing and they don't last forever either. Hard water pllaying f**k with square D switches, presure vessels needing replacing it's endless costs with your own supply. Our elec bills are around €150 per 2 months more than any of the in-laws with similar sized houses and familes who don't have their own pumps/supply. My pump supplies the farm and house. We had another well supplying the farm for 20 years but it was close to a km from the yard and the head of the bore was over 100ft below the yard now that was expensive to run.

td5man wrote: »
    Did you get it in writing or was it a verbal agreement if the latter it could be subject to change as a neighbour found out last year after she had spent nearly €2k on her 2 darlings.
    fook 2k ... some people never learn, only setting themselves up for trouble imo... my youngest lad wants a black hat and a sword:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

fook 2k ... some people never learn, only setting themselves up for trouble imo... my youngest lad wants a black hat and a sword:D
    She went out and bought what they asked for the second time as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

mother of jayus,

I think you're mad!

Paying that for a few drinkers for paddocks??

Have you got any low points in your fields where you could dig down a large corri pipe and then just hook a moveable pasture pump to it. Or if you have a stream or a drain close by, dig the corri pipe into it, good and deep and just let the pasture pump suck it out.

Unless you live in an area that suffers from extreme drought, this is your best and cheapest option!!

mine are getting 2 shovels so they can dig for that fcuking watermain

• Advertisement

reilig wrote: »
    I think you're mad!

Paying that for a few drinkers for paddocks??

Have you got any low points in your fields where you could dig down a large corri pipe and then just hook a moveable pasture pump to it. Or if you have a stream or a drain close by, dig the corri pipe into it, good and deep and just let the pasture pump suck it out.

Unless you live in an area that suffers from extreme drought, this is your best and cheapest option!!

i aint paying it, i am going under the road and saying fook all, and am going to buy a council camber and lid and stick it in the ground to keep the neighbours at bay,

also lads them prices for well seems dear, seen a well done for house for 2200 euro last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

i aint paying it, i am going under the road and saying fook all, and am going to buy a council camber and lid and stick it in the ground to keep the neighbours at bay,

Many people would call that theft. Your neighbours will be paying for the water that you use.

When the water scheme caretaker notices the main meter going higher than usual, they will go on the hunt for a leak. When they go through the maps and see that you have a chamber which isn't marked on the map then they could bring a criminal charge of theft against you!!

Thread carefully, that's all.

I'm the chairman of our local group water scheme and water usage and connections are monitored carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

also lads them prices for well seems dear, seen a well done for house for 2200 euro last year

Maybe so, altho I was kinda happy enough with it then to be honest...

Is the reason you are going to the trouble of taking it from the council, cos the water from your well is too hard, and causes problems? Or where you want to put the paddocks is not accessible by your own pump water?

I wont advocate stealing (even if its water) But if you gave a bit more info, maybe people could offer their suggestions / opinions (like Reilg above)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    I had something similar with a dwarf calf last year. If it's the same thing it would look like his 'elbows' are backwards?

This lad is certainly no dwarf, infact he's massive. The elbows are fine, it's the shoulders that were the problem. Anyway he is getting more mobile by the day to the extent that today you'd hardly know there was a problem. But he was a shook unit for the first week.

we have mains and a well.... we rebored the well a few years ago cost around 2k, mains is used as a back up... we have very hard water, had to lift pump earlier this year as it was blocked ... pay something like 25 euro per quarter to county council for meter

Maybe so, altho I was kinda happy enough with it then to be honest...

Is the reason you are going to the trouble of taking it from the council, cos the water from your well is too hard, and causes problems? Or where you want to put the paddocks is not accessible by your own pump water?

I wont advocate stealing (even if its water) But if you gave a bit more info, maybe people could offer their suggestions / opinions (like Reilg above)

ah dont mind me, i am only ranting, i have made an application to council for connection and am awaiting fees,

what pees me off is i paid 2200 in 2009 for my house, my dad paid 1700 in 2007 for connection to another bit of land and we contributed to the original group scheme 25 years ago

746 euro for what, a €5 tee piece, a €25 chamber and lid, and a half hours work for plumber to connect, i am quite happy to pay my way, but fair is fair

the land is an 30 acre out block split by the road, existing drinking is from two rivers at the far end of each block

i am splitting into 9 paddocks so i need to get water to each, cheaper suggestions more than welcome

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

the land is an 30 acre out block split by the road, existing drinking is from two rivers at the far end of each block

i am splitting into 9 paddocks so i need to get water to each, cheaper suggestions more than welcome

Could you put either a ram or a screw pump in one of the rivers and have your water for free after?

Could you put either a ram or a screw pump in one of the rivers and have your water for free after?

how does that work, submere a pump in the river and pump from there, is that it

does the fisheries board have an issue with that i wonder

wonder what cost pump is

got a quote of €1 a metre to mole plough in water pipe already

Muckit wrote: »
    Cut the road and pipe it across from existing meter?

sorry muckit, my existing connection off the main to my house is approx 2 mile further down the road,

wonder does that count for anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Thought i had all sorted,but found a limo heifer stretched cold this evening on an outfarm. this was a completly seperate batch to the others. i'm gettin really pissed with this now and those shower of incompetent asses in backweston still no conclusive results back yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Bizzum wrote: »

This lad is certainly no dwarf, infact he's massive. The elbows are fine, it's the shoulders that were the problem. Anyway he is getting more mobile by the day to the extent that today you'd hardly know there was a problem. But he was a shook unit for the first week.
    was he knuckling over on his feet any bit? Selenium deficiency?

1chippy wrote: »
    Thought i had all sorted,but found a limo heifer stretched cold this evening on an outfarm. this was a completly seperate batch to the others. i'm gettin really pissed with this now and those shower of incompetent asses in backweston still no conclusive results back yet.

Sorry to hear that. What if you sent this one to the lab in omagh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Thats a real bummer..
    We lost two CH/LI heifers in the summer, within a few days of each other, sent off samples from the second and it came back with spleen enlarged and white muscle disease in the heart.. "most likely" a selenium deficiency due to the poor weather was the best guess, nothing since though...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gluckantanks

Another Hitler for anyone interested.. :Dhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tPOKgrUftM&feature=youtu.be

just do it wrote: »
    was he knuckling over on his feet any bit? Selenium deficiency?

Slightly. We would see this a bit particularly with the big CH calves, but this lads shoulders, up where they joined his chest would rotate in and out. Looking at him now you'd never think he had a problem, thankfully.

First calf on the ground bb bull no problems, hope it continues, has me thumb sucked off though

Sold a few weanlings bulls tonight. 8 to 10 mths old.
    FL22 Lim 460kgs €1050
    AI Lim 395kgs €850
    CH 400kgs €870
    CH 470kgs €1425
    CH 490kgs €1430

A couple were plain enough. The FL22 calf was disappointing cos he was a decent calf. The 2 heavier CH calves both off BAX cows were exceptional calves, one of them was barely 8mths old. I cant remember the other one of the Lim bulls but the calf looked more like a shorthorn than a Lim. Thats the story anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Chippy, this is getting strange to say the least. Could you start a complete new thread and sumarise all your losses to date? If your cattle are dropping dead like that, the place should be crawling with DAFF officials by now. Maybe if all the info is in one place ,someone might be bale to help you in some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

iam sure most have seen this all ready

545561_537356949612441_1737440587_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Odelay

pakalasa wrote: »
    Chippy, this is getting strange to say the least. Could you start a complete new thread and sumarise all your losses to date? If your cattle are dropping dead like that, the place should be crawling with DAFF officials by now. Maybe if all the info is in one place ,someone might be bale to help you in some way.

I also agree, i think this info needs to be kept in one place for others to learn. This for you has been going on too long, you need to find some solution.

So sorry for all of your troubles recently chippy1, chin up, not long to the shortest day of the year.

Not sure what else to say. You come across as a good lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

You never know where the bottom is when dealing with animals. just when you think you have all bases covered then bang again. must take a trip back to look over some of the deaths again as I think we put a few suggestions together of what might be the case. Frankly I think your vets either are not doing enough for you to sort whatever problem, or else they are not man enough for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Jamesleacy501

FL22 Lim 460kgs €1050
    AI Lim 395kgs €850
    CH 400kgs €870
    CH 470kgs €1425
    CH 490kgs €1430

A couple were plain enough. The FL22 calf was disappointing cos he was a decent calf. The 2 heavier CH calves both off BAX cows were exceptional calves, one of them was barely 8mths old. I cant remember the other one of the Lim bulls but the calf looked more like a shorthorn than a Lim. Thats the story anyway!

in new ross...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I was planning to splash out there today for some fancy little sim/hrd heifers but got sidetracked and wont make it...
    Will you let us know what the trade was like later?;)

O I have never been so frozen in my life as I was clerkin today. My poor tootsies were numb at the bull ring and then I was unceremoniously lifted down off the table by the auctioneer:o

Trade was iffy. Plainer animals had no buyers worthwhile, good stock went up to 3550 on the heifer side. But down to 830 I think.
    Highest on the bulls was 2110.

Sorely tempted to buy a red roan heifer....must think of Christmas! Have to buy a horse yet:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

in new ross...?

Was going to ask the same.

The last two are quite impressive and clearly only went one place!

in new ross...?

Tullamore.
    nashmach wrote: »
    Was going to ask the same.

The last two are quite impressive and clearly only went one place!

Same buyer for them 2. 2 serious calves though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

The one morning I'm up at 8am......no-one is up.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

CH 470kgs €1425
    CH 490kgs €1430

The 2 heavier CH calves both off BAX cows were exceptional calves, one of them was barely 8mths old.

Excellent prices Bizzum for those two charolais! Your some man to breed cattle ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

FL22 Lim 460kgs €1050
    AI Lim 395kgs €850
    CH 400kgs €870
    CH 470kgs €1425
    CH 490kgs €1430

Super prices. When you see the price 30 month old continental bullocks are making in the marts, you have to wonder.

Muckit wrote: »
    Excellent prices Bizzum for those two charolais! Your some man to breed cattle ;)

We just get lucky the odd time!
    That old bull of ours got super calves, great lenght in them.
    pakalasa wrote: »
    Super prices. When you see the price 30 month old continental bullocks are making in the marts, you have to wonder.

The real good calf is making good money, anything a bit lighter or plainer is a good bit back from the big money. Like I said the FL22 calfs price was disappointing, he was a nice quality calf, I think pictures of some of them are in the photo thread.

If we could get it right and produce more of the real top quality ones I'd be happy.

• Advertisement

We just get lucky the odd time!
    That old bull of ours got super calves, great lenght in them.

Bizzum, great prices, 14 or 15 0f those would be a bonus,what is that old bull breeding out off

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement