Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    O I have never been so frozen in my life as I was clerkin today. My poor tootsies were numb at the bull ring and then I was unceremoniously lifted down off the table by the auctioneer:o

Trade was iffy. Plainer animals had no buyers worthwhile, good stock went up to 3550 on the heifer side. But down to 830 I think.
    Highest on the bulls was 2110.

Sorely tempted to buy a red roan heifer....must think of Christmas! Have to buy a horse yet:eek:

never mind the horse, you need thermal socks and a hip flask

tell us any good simmental heifers about and if so what were prices like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]

Come on folks, you should know better than to go throwing ethnic stereotypes around! :mad:

Getting snarky and personal with each other isn't very becoming either.

Have a read of section 1 of the forum charter:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73710780&postcount=2

Some posts have been deleted, but no-one has been sanctioned in any way.
    Yet! :mad:

[/MOD]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

One of the cows just calved a week early there herself today! Stuck my head in for a look, twin friesian calves sitting there! Quickly checked them to see what they were, both females! Phew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

!cid_cidImage_P__8083.jpg

!cid_cidImage_P__D26E.jpgfirst cut silage results just back,have not tested in years,new clover grass brought up from wexford at 14 euros a bale looks super value.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Bean_Flicker

Bizzum wrote: »
    CH 470kgs €1425
    CH 490kgs €1430

!

Serious money for them two lads Bizzum ;)

Were they full bulls or did you castrate them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Bean_Flicker

What would old cull holstein cows be roughly making in the factory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

leg wax wrote: »
    !cid_cidImage_P__8083.jpg

!cid_cidImage_P__D26E.jpgfirst cut silage results just back,have not tested in years,new clover grass brought up from wexford at 14 euros a bale looks super value.

Results look good.
    I'm waiting on results from ours at the moment as I suspect it's not up to scratch.
    Did you take the sample from many bales.. I was told two baked would be enough to sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Rovi wrote: »
    [MOD]

Come on folks, you should know better than to go throwing ethnic stereotypes around! :mad:

Getting snarky and personal with each other isn't very becoming either.

Have a read of section 1 of the forum charter:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73710780&postcount=2

Some posts have been deleted, but no-one has been sanctioned in any way.
    Yet! :mad:

[/MOD]

You've lost me there bud..what was that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

What would old cull holstein cows be roughly making in the factory?

id be going mart if i was you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

You've lost me there bud..what was that about?
    It was about 'Those from across the water'.:rolleyes:
    Accusations of racism, but more like xenophobia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

pakalasa wrote: »
    It was about 'Those from across the water'.:rolleyes:
    Accusations of racism, but more like xenophobia.

Ah bugger! I missed that.
    U snooze u lose...nothing like a bit of controversy to get the blood up in some folk..
    Then again I guess this is Farming Chit Chat, not after-hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

hugo29 wrote: »
    [QUOTEBizzum, great prices, 14 or 15 0f those would be a bonus,what is that old bull breeding out off

Pic attached. He was by Newlook (NWK) and shy of 3yo at that time.
    Serious money for them two lads Bizzum ;)

Were they full bulls or did you castrate them?

Full bulls.

More Bull.

About 18mths old.

Still more Bull. Around 5/6mths. It's not the best shot of him, but he was never extra fancy as a calf, but then he would have never been overfed!

Sorry about all the posts, I should have put them all in the one but it didn't occur to me at the time.

There's a lesson there to be learned lads about all these pumped up bulls at shows, and it's not always the one that shows the early promise that throws the best calves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

thats a load of bull:D

whelan1 wrote: »
    thats a load of bull:D

And not a black hair on him:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Results back on last calf. vet says he had pneumonia, i didnt agree, i thought it was just a soft answer from the lab. i had seen no signs of any blowing or runny nose and he was thriving well.
    The vet called out this morning when i rang about the other one, checked every animal. He reckoned everything was in good condition and everything vaccinated as could be.
    I took all the outlyers in and gave them another shot tribovax t and all the weanlings that are in were done too, just in case i missed something.
    All weanlings are getting ctc through the meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Lovely full moon this morning and tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

1chippy wrote: »
    Results back on last calf. vet says he had pneumonia, i didnt agree, i thought it was just a soft answer from the lab. i had seen no signs of any blowing or runny nose and he was thriving well.
    The vet called out this morning when i rang about the other one, checked every animal. He reckoned everything was in good condition and everything vaccinated as could be.
    I took all the outlyers in and gave them another shot tribovax t and all the weanlings that are in were done too, just in case i missed something.

Very sorry to hear of all your misfortune chippy. How many stock have you lost over the past few weeks, sounds like the vet needs to be more proactive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Still more Bull. Around 5/6mths. It's not the best shot of him, but he was never extra fancy as a calf, but then he would have never been overfed!

Sorry about all the posts, I should have put them all in the one but it didn't occur to me at the time.

There's a lesson there to be learned lads about all these pumped up bulls at shows, and it's not always the one that shows the early promise that throws the best calves.

Never mind the bull which is a cracker, that's some field of grass, no wonder you got prices like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

why do you not agree, you don't have to see symptoms it can come quite sudden, raised tempetures clear runs from nose is sympoms of IBR. if your not happy go look for another vet but get advice from other particually large farmers who would have no option but to follow up problems like this all the time like feed-lots or large dairy farms.

funny man wrote: »
    why do you not agree, you don't have to see symptoms it can come quite sudden, raised tempetures clear runs from nose is sympoms of IBR. if your not happy go look for another vet but get advice from other particually large farmers who would have no option but to follow up problems like this all the time like feed-lots or large dairy farms.
    I have been onto others, a couple a lads out and looked at animals. the lab said that the pneumonia looked like it was there for a long time. If it was there were absolutaly no signs. at this stage we are having anyone with a decent understanding of animals look at them. everything has been done for ibr. we had a few vets check animals and the 2 we heard heavy lungs on got draxin and have cleared. the vet has said to open up one of the sheds to allow more air flow so we will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Pic attached. He was by Newlook (NWK) and shy of 3yo at that time.

Full bulls.

Nwk bred some great stock Bizzum. This is a pic of my neighbor's bull by newlook aswell, he breeds very shapey calves and they have great weight for age too. He looks a bit set in himself in the pic but the calves out of him have good size.

photo-171.jpg

Nwk bred some great stock Bizzum. This is a pic of my neighbor's bull by newlook aswell, he breeds very shapey calves and they have great weight for age too. He looks a bit set in himself in the pic but the calves out of him have good size.

That's a good lenghty bull too.
    I saw Newlook in the flesh over at Enfield a few years ago and he was a tank of a bull. Big, long, wide and impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I have been onto others, a couple a lads out and looked at animals. the lab said that the pneumonia looked like it was there for a long time. If it was there were absolutaly no signs. at this stage we are having anyone with a decent understanding of animals look at them. everything has been done for ibr. we had a few vets check animals and the 2 we heard heavy lungs on got draxin and have cleared. the vet has said to open up one of the sheds to allow more air flow so we will.

Chippy what Vaccines have you given the animals? Was draxin the only product that seemed to be good a treating sick animals. Results should be back for the lab quickly. I know my vet can get stuff back a very short notice, some of it is even sent to the Netherlands and back within days. knowledge is power when dealing with such problems. Have you a closed herd or are you buying in stock? So can you just state the vaccines used and this should allow allot of things to be crossed of the list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

the blonde cow that has and had the super bb heifer that made the big money,dead in her cubical this morn,fookit when will it stop.

the blonde cow that has and had the super bb heifer that made the big money,dead in her cubical this morn,fookit when will it stop.

sorry to hear leg wax

Our young cow that aborted at the weekend - I asked the VET that took the blood sample , would they be testing for the schmallenberg virus. It's the Dept that do the testing, so he reckoned they propably would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

I have been onto others, a couple a lads out and looked at animals. the lab said that the pneumonia looked like it was there for a long time. .
    Chippy what Vaccines have you given the animals? Was draxin the only product that seemed to be good a treating sick animals. Results should be back for the lab quickly. I know my vet can get stuff back a very short notice, some of it is even sent to the Netherlands and back within days. knowledge is power when dealing with such problems. Have you a closed herd or are you buying in stock? So can you just state the vaccines used and this should allow allot of things to be crossed of the list

it can take up to 6 weeks to culture some samples , Labs giving fast returns are sometimes more harmful that no pm

sounds like IBR to me & the vaccines most likely shrouding the symptoms, I would re vaccinate and treat any animal the slightest sign with Micotil today IT WILL BE TOO LATE TO MORROW ,

I had an IBR outbreak some years ago and only for the vet adopting this approach would have lost dearly , initial results from the lab all showed -, and 2 months later come the final culture from the lab showing IBR

always the good one !! sorry to hear, keep the chin up and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Sorry to hear leg wax

Our best cow died last night, exactly 7 days after a section. She had a serious infection and we just couldn't get her to eat.

Haven't had a section around the place in 20 years. Worried about the rest of the autumn calvers now. We weined them early and gave them a good run in the back end because we thought they needed it because of the bad summer. It was a mistake. They are all on a diet of mainly rolled oats and straw now :o

in new ross...?

was in new ross for first time the other night,only bought 2 heifers,big enough sale for last weanling sale and good quality, reckon ill be back next year,wasnt getting it handy off my local dealers,seemed very interested in lots i started bidding on,ah well i went to my limit for them,if i got them i got them,one thing ill say about the place is its a cold spot,couldnt wait to get into jeep and blast the heat out of it,also had one of the things i like in marts is how many moves an animal has had,dealers cant hide as much when this is up,some marts even show how long the owner has had the animal(2,384d)2nd owner,384 days,i think its a great thing, is this shown in marts any of ye visit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

simx wrote: »
    was in new ross for first time the other night,only bought 2 heifers,big enough sale for last weanling sale and good quality, reckon ill be back next year,wasnt getting it handy off my local dealers,seemed very interested in lots i started bidding on,ah well i went to my limit for them,if i got them i got them,one thing ill say about the place is its a cold spot,couldnt wait to get into jeep and blast the heat out of it,also had one of the things i like in marts is how many moves an animal has had,dealers cant hide as much when this is up,some marts even show how long the owner has had the animal(2,384d)2nd owner,384 days,i think its a great thing, is this shown in marts any of ye visit?

Connacht Gold have it anyway, but there's a wee glitch with the infoscience mart system. Lets say Joe Bloggs booked in 5 cattle, two for him and three for a neighbour, we'll input the cards in the office and then as it shows up they're in the wrong herd to be sold out of, they're transferred to the correct seller. It will then show on the board that the animal was only a day in the sellers herd, despite being changed over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

What were prices like?

Tis a raw spot alright - you wouldn't be going there without a coat and wooly cap!

nashmach wrote: »
    What were prices like?

Tis a raw spot alright - you wouldn't be going there without a coat and wooly cap!

prices were good,hat a wooly hat and coat and still nearly shivering,got 2 ch heifers,good square types 350kg,690e,was one of first few lots

what does enniscorthy be like for prices/quality??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

prices were good,hat a wooly hat and coat and still nearly shivering,got 2 ch heifers,good square types 350kg,690e,was one of first few lots

what does enniscorthy be like for prices/quality??

They sound like value enough to be fair.

Enniscorthy tends to have better quality but is a harder mart to buy at IMV.

Not as much stock as in Ross though for the regular sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

reilig wrote: »
    Sorry to hear leg wax

Our best cow died last night, exactly 7 days after a section. She had a serious infection and we just couldn't get her to eat.

Haven't had a section around the place in 20 years. Worried about the rest of the autumn calvers now. We weined them early and gave them a good run in the back end because we thought they needed it because of the bad summer. It was a mistake. They are all on a diet of mainly rolled oats and straw now :o

You have them on the right type of diet. Most of the damage in terms of big calves is done in the last couple of weeks/last month of pregnancy.

We were averaging at least one section per year at one point still less than 1% for us at the time. We noticed a huge difference in how well cows recovered depending on the vet who carrried out the operation. We never lost a cow because of a section but the chances of a cow going back in calf varied depending on which vet did the section. Cleanliness is vital if you think you're going to have a continuing problem talk to a BB breeder in your area about which vets are giving them the best results. I think pedigree Blondes have a fairly high section rate also. We always felt a section was a better option than a very hard pull. You know what the result will be when you start the section, when you start tearing with a jack you won't know until you're finished what you're going to have. Too often a very sick and sore cow and a dead calf. The section is an even better option now especially since the vets are using long lasting anesthetics and painkillers. Just my opinion/experience.

nashmach wrote: »
    They sound like value enough to be fair.

Enniscorthy tends to have better quality but is a harder mart to buy at IMV.

Not as much stock as in Ross though for the regular sales.

heard there was better value for a couple in kk yesterday, lad i know only got one heifer out of it 385kg 705e looks a grand beast too,saw her last night,said he had another one 375kg at same money but seller ran her again made 735 2nd time,still wouldnt be dear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

They are all on a diet of mainly rolled oats and straw now :o

Unfortunate with your cow. Shocking especially after having a section. Once vet is there, I always think to myself I've done all I can do (once cow wasn't left too long forcing).

Are you giving a shake of precalving loose mineral or lick bucket awell Reilig?

Giving loose nuitribo mineral for first time to the few we have calving this year. It can only be a help.

....We were averaging at least one section per year at one point still less than 1% for us at the time. We noticed a huge difference in how well cows recovered depending on the vet who carrried out the operation.....
    I helped the vet do a C-Section for a neighbour a few weeks back. First time seeing a section done. The Vet was foreign and trained in Belgium. She was saying that she would often do 4 sections a night in Belgium. Belgium farmers would do 4 sections on the usual side of the BB cow and another 2 on the far side.
    You're right in what you are saying about cleanliness. I was only helping her, but I had to gown up and scrub clean. She was absolutely meticolous. A pleasure to be honest to watch her work, in what was your normal farm shed. Calf was dead though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I helped the vet do a C-Section for a neighbour a few weeks back. First time seeing a section done. The Vet was foreign and trained in Belgium. She was saying that she would often do 4 sections a night in Belgium. Belgium farmers would do 4 sections on the usual side of the BB cow and another 2 on the far side.
    You're right in what you are saying about cleanliness. I was only helping her, but I had to gown up and scrub clean. She was absolutely meticolous. A pleasure to be honest to watch her work, in what was your normal farm shed. Calf was dead though.

if Im thinking who the vet is, she is more irish than ourselves nowadays! the effort that she puts into dealing with problems goes well beyond the call of her job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

574464_519850528040117_1519511524_n.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hard luck there legs, it's a tough year, it'll soon be over.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I did a bit of work experience with a guy in Merseyside back in the day. He had a large dairy herd and reasonable sized pedigree BB herd. He had a bull in either Enfield or Dovea in the late nineties. The Uof Liverpool vet college were his vets he had a fairly sweet deal with them other than night calls he only paid for meds flip side was he'd have 20 students turn up with a vet for pregnancy diagnosis on 6-8 cows.

Anyway one of his ped BB heifers caught him on the hop and actually calved naturally, complete mess. She was torn asunder, internal rips in the vagina, damage to urethra and anus anywhere else straight to factory though nowadays probably knackers bullet. The vet college took her in as a training exercise/just to see if they could repair the damage. I went with the guy to collect her around 3 weeks later and she could just about walk into the trailer. She recovered and fattened but that was that. Hence the 4 sections per week for that vet.

Its only recently i,ve taken a real interest in what the vets have been giving the animals, prior to that i just presumed they were doing whatever was best for the animal. Draxin is what we have been hitting them with recently, because it seems to work. I didnt take what was given before but i can check the book if i remeber to.
    They are vacinated for everything. All weanlings got done with tribovax t again yesterday, just in case we missed a few.
    I took a few side sheets of 2 of the sheds so as to increase airflow.
    got a new load of straw today to replace the cinders./
    Got the first of this years calves tagged and dehorned, hopefully they all keep coming like these, smashing calves all thriving well.

the blonde cow that has and had the super bb heifer that made the big money,dead in her cubical this morn
    Our best cow died last night, exactly 7 days after a section.

Sorry to read these lads. Always the good ones! We lost a good BB calf from a super cow lately too, it's sickening but at least we still have the cow.

We had none for years and then 3 last year. 3 heifers, one powerful big heifer that we AI'd and 2 younger heifers that proved incalf. 2 have been fattened and factoried since and the other we chanced AI on her. I think she's incalf. One was a shook unit for a month after calving, I dunno how she lived, but she did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

We had none for years and then 3 last year. 3 heifers, one powerful big heifer that we AI'd and 2 younger heifers that proved incalf. 2 have been fattened and factoried since and the other we chanced AI on her. I think she's incalf. One was a shook unit for a month after calving, I dunno how she lived, but she did.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering would you have any rough idea of the calving percentage of the bull you put on the powerful heifer you had to c-section? I'd be at work when they're calving and hoping to avoid this kind of scenario.

johnpawl wrote: »
    Just wondering would you have any rough idea of the calving percentage of the bull you put on the powerful heifer you had to c-section? I'd be at work when they're calving and hoping to avoid this kind of scenario.

I can't even remember the bull, don't mind his calving figures! Lim for sure.
    The problem was nothing to do with the bull though. I knew within 20 seconds of handling her that she wasn't gonna calve. It was a no brainer to CS her. Huge heifer to look at, no room in her to handle. There's a couple of pics of her in the photo thread (somewhere!), taken before and after CS. Go take a look and tell me what ya think;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Anyone on here near Moville, Donegal?!

Saw two of the most super pb BB calves sucking on the one recipient on seaside of road on way into moville... Quality animals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

Connacht gold in ballymote also do the breed of the animal.Handy if buying for the angus scheme.Dont have to be going in to office checking what is on the card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement