Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Tis a cold 1, sitting in queue in mart, couple of hills on the way
    thought would be dodgy weren't too bad, all I need now is egar buyers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

reilig wrote: »
    Sorry to hear leg wax

Our best cow died last night, exactly 7 days after a section. She had a serious infection and we just couldn't get her to eat.

Haven't had a section around the place in 20 years. Worried about the rest of the autumn calvers now. We weined them early and gave them a good run in the back end because we thought they needed it because of the bad summer. It was a mistake. They are all on a diet of mainly rolled oats and straw now :o
    its times like this reilig that i can say i am not the only one losing stock,but why the fook was ut not a black lim or bad bastered of a cow,thats 2 cows this year that dropped for no apparent reason only that they new i liked them and that they were safe from going out the gate,i wonder is there a bit of sheep in my cows,as lads with sheep say they find new ways to die every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

leg wax wrote: »
    its times like this reilig that i can say i am not the only one losing stock,but why the fook was ut not a black lim or bad bastered of a cow,thats 2 cows this year that dropped for no apparent reason only that they new i liked them and that they were safe from going out the gate,i wonder is there a bit of sheep in my cows,as lads with sheep say they find new ways to die every year.

We have had an unlucky run. Had a calf born paralised in back legs a month ago and had to put him down. A cow scanned for twins calved a month early with a big calf and a small calf and the big one died. Then the section, the calf lived, but the cow died. I put it down to bad luck. We get a run of it every couple of years. Hopefully it will be gone with the death of the cow. We will watch cows more closely. We will restrict feed more as well.

Its murphy's law - you always lose the best animals!!
    All you can do is pick yourself up and keep going. It would be a whole lot worse if it was human life!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

simx wrote: »
    Tis a cold 1, sitting in queue in mart, couple of hills on the way
    thought would be dodgy weren't too bad, all I need now is egar buyers

Yea.
    Out early in the dark trying to get three pigs into trailer, feckin torture!
    Got them off to slaughter, they'll be back vac-packed in a few weeks, yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Lads, anyone any experience with charlaois bull , maerdy impeccable (MYI) looking at a bull which is offspring, fine animal, stars ok

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭TippNorth

Connacht gold in ballymote also do the breed of the animal.Handy if buying for the angus scheme.Dont have to be going in to office checking what is on the card

Sorry to jump in but while you are on the topic, for the Angus scheme, when buying cattle, is it enough that it says aa or AAX on the card for them to be acceptable for the scheme? Or do you need to know if the sire was an AI or purebred bull? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

starting to get ready for ai,ing again (mid jan). I have been looking into the eurogene catalogue particularly the blues. Has anyone any thoughts on the bulls ar any advice on what to go or what to avoid.
    I like the look of colosse and ross a but reckon ross might just throw an ordinary calf. we would have mainly lim x sim cows which would all be fairly big square sort of animals anything else will probably just get the stock bull. Anything suitable for export will be sold as weanlings everything else will probably be held.
    cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

1chippy wrote: »
    starting to get ready for ai,ing again (mid jan). I have been looking into the eurogene catalogue particularly the blues. Has anyone any thoughts on the bulls ar any advice on what to go or what to avoid.
    I like the look of colosse and ross a but reckon ross might just throw an ordinary calf. we would have mainly lim x sim cows which would all be fairly big square sort of animals anything else will probably just get the stock bull. Anything suitable for export will be sold as weanlings everything else will probably be held.
    cheers.

We use Eurogene. I didn't use that much BB over the years, but from what I did use and chatting with our AI man Satyre (SZS) seems to be doing well and aint brutal calved. Here he is on ICBF.
    http://herdplus.icbf.com/bull-search/view/animalId/713682345

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

my quiet saturday night a couple of weeks back:D:D:o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A2H4C59Beg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

my quiet saturday night a couple of weeks back:D:D:o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A2H4C59Beg

you like your spandex:D:D good show, you need balls to do that, or lack of them for those pants :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

I dont use Eurogene but I think its a great idea to ask other boardies about the different bulls they use and what sort of calves they got or difficulties they ran into with calving. I had three on yesterday and I was talking to my Ai man about the star system with ICBF. He was telling me that most of the technicians he has spoken to think the system is very flawed. He reckons that the star system is not a good reflection of what different bulls are producing and the figures are skewed.

One case is the BB bull DEP where he says most of his offspring are export quality and the best breeder in his opinion but he is only 2 stars for terminal. He also said that beef bulls that are used a lot in the dairy herd have the maternal figures skewed up slightly because a lot are kept for replacements.

I had looked up a few bulls on the PG site for the cows last night but changed to two LM bulls HCA and GWO and one AA bull GJB all on his advice.

One case is the BB bull DEP where he says most of his offspring are export quality and the best breeder in his opinion but he is only 2 stars for terminal. He also said that beef bulls that are used a lot in the dairy herd have the maternal figures skewed up slightly because a lot are kept for replacements.

My BB Stock bull was breeding out of DEP and I also used DEP from AI and yes he produces great quality calves but it depends on the cow type, he seems to suit LimX and SimX cross cows the best but he is not as easy calving as people say, no sections but the jack was out quite a few times

Another Fantastic BB Bull was BYU but I am not sure if his straws are still available- Both of those were from Progressive Genitics

cheers.

chippy given your problems would it be worth considering breeding animals with a larger lung capacity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Back off to hospital tonight, this will never end!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

Hi Kovu
    Hope you ok.

chippy given your problems would it be worth considering breeding animals with a larger lung capacity

Sorry for quoting myself but this show seriously be looked at by researchers. Its easy to understand why we see lower levels of BRD in Angus,herefords and fresians. Is it a trait that breeding could advance considering pneumonia in cattle is becoming a bigger problem each year probably due to the increased movement and specailisation of the beef sector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    hope you're allowed to watch the toy show:D look after yourself

Just back in and settled..
    Took the afternoon off and brought the girls up to Dublin for a wee shop and see the lights.. Must say the "big smoke" is looking well, lots of shopping going on too..
    Happy out to be home though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

one of his ped BB heifers caught him on the hop and actually calved naturally, complete mess. She was torn asunder, internal rips in the vagina, damage to urethra and anus anywhere else straight to factory though nowadays probably knackers bullet. The vet college took her in as a training exercise/just to see if they could repair the damage. I went with the guy to collect her around 3 weeks later and she could just about walk into the trailer. She recovered and fattened but that was that. Hence the 4 sections per week for that vet.

You really have to sit back and question breeding when a mammal is bred to such a degree that it isn't able to naturally calve it's own young

• Advertisement

You're some tulip.:D

Wild horses wouldn't drag me onto a stage.....Fair play to ya!

Muckit wrote: »
    You really have to sit back and question breeding when a mammal is bred to such a degree that it isn't able to naturally calve it's own young

The CS rate in our own species makes uncomfortable reading too!

Any idea what the Irish rate of CS on cows is ICBF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Was away all week with work and home late, it's lovely to throw on the rough clothes, the headlight and grab the dog and head out to see the cattle :-)

Bizzum wrote: »

'Out the sunroof' as one of the women at work put it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

your a class act boy, what are you doing farming? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

Muckit wrote: »
    'Out the sunroof' as one of the women at work put it! :D

No wear and tear on the ole cat flap:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Fell asleep on the bloddy chair last night didn't wake 'til 1.30 then had to go check the cows not happy:(

Found €20 that I didn't even know I'd lost out of the back pocket in the shed, covered in s**t but otherwise ok so not so so bad.:)

?
    dont ever think that its an easy way out- excuse the pun- had 3 , first one was horrendous, kept in hospital for 10 days.... its major abdominal surgery, in saying that i was back milking 10 days after my 3rd section

whelan1 wrote: »
    dont ever think that its an easy way out- excuse the pun- had 3 , first one was horrendous, kept in hospital for 10 days.... its major abdominal surgery, in saying that i was back milking 10 days after my 3rd section

I wasn't thinking it was easy for a second. I just wonder where the increasing CS rate will end. I saw a stat that it's at 50% in China, I wonder will it creep to 55% or 60% or 100%? And I wonder what is driving the rate up?

Maybe we should be restricting the intake for the last 6 weeks or selecting for easy calving......I myself am proven easy calving, long and lean but muscle up well later on, if anyone's interested!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Limited offer for this weekend only!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I wasn't thinking it was easy for a second. I just wonder where the increasing CS rate will end. I saw a stat that it's at 50% in China, I wonder will it creep to 55% or 60% or 100%? And I wonder what is driving the rate up?
    Maybe we should be restricting the intake for the last 6 weeks:D

I would say a lot of it is texel syndrome...to posh to push as they say :D

• Advertisement

I would have never put you in the too posh to push, brigade :D

I would have never put you in the too posh to push, brigade :D
    i tried and failed, god loves a trier:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I myself am proven easy calving, long and lean but muscle up well later on, if anyone's interested!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Limited offer for this weekend only!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jeez Bizzum, I need more notice than that to synchronise ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Is it like race horses - natural service only?:D

how much per cover and do you provide livery with that price?;)

Is it like race horses - natural service only?:D

how much per cover and do you provide livery with that price?;)

This is getting a bit creepy at this stage boys:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

In 1960's rural Ireland, a farmer bought a pedigree angus bull for 1400 pounds - a price that was unheard of at the time. He started a bulling service and farmers brought cows for service every day for miles around. He charged 10 shillings and business really took off - so much so that he decided to invest in a second bull. Anyway he went off to the sale, not intending to spend as much as the last time. He left his wife in charge and told her the price - 10 shillings for a first service, 5 shillings for a repeat.

While he was away a knock came to the door and the wife answered it. The man standing there asked "is your husband here". "No" replied the wife, "but the bull is in operation, its 10 shillings for the first service and 5 shillings for a repeat". "I really wanted to talk to your husband" he replied. She replied " I'm in charge today, its 10 shillings for the first service and 5 shillings for a repeat".

"I'm not here about the bull at all", the man said. "You see, your son Pat has been going out with my daughter for the past 6 months and now she's pregnant". "Well" she replied, I know for the bull he charges 10 shillings for a first service and 5 shillings for a repeat, but I really don't know what he charges for Pat!!"

This is getting a bit creepy at this stage boys:eek:

It only gets creepy when a crowd gathers round to watch:p

It only gets creepy when a crowd gathers round to watch:p

Whatever is de matter wit you is no small thing:D

reilig wrote: »
    In 1960's rural Ireland, a farmer bought a pedigree angus bull for 1400 pounds - a price that was unheard of at the time. He started a bulling service and farmers brought cows for service every day for miles around. He charged 10 shillings and business really took off - so much so that he decided to invest in a second bull. Anyway he went off to the sale, not intending to spend as much as the last time. He left his wife in charge and told her the price - 10 shillings for a first service, 5 shillings for a repeat.

While he was away a knock came to the door and the wife answered it. The man standing there asked "is your husband here". "No" replied the wife, "but the bull is in operation, its 10 shillings for the first service and 5 shillings for a repeat". "I really wanted to talk to your husband" he replied. She replied " I'm in charge today, its 10 shillings for the first service and 5 shillings for a repeat".

"I'm not here about the bull at all", the man said. "You see, your son Pat has been going out with my daughter for the past 6 months and now she's pregnant". "Well" she replied, I know for the bull he charges 10 shillings for a first service and 5 shillings for a repeat, but I really don't know what he charges for Pat!!"

Pub on a Saturday night... a distant memory at this stage I'm afraid ! :o

• Advertisement

bbam wrote: »
    Pub on a Saturday night... a distant memory at this stage I'm afraid ! :o
    ye we often say that and if you ever do go, you come home saying " that you miss nothing by not going":D too expensive to go out... few beers or glass of wine at home - no need for taxi, babysitters etc

bbam wrote: »
    Pub on a Saturday night...

What's a pub again?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭marknjb

had aherd test today the vet rang to say he was going to be late he had got an emergency call
    some farmer had started agitating with the cattle in the shed
    six were dead when he got there six more were down but he was hopefull they would be allright
    it was a bad morning for some poor devil

marknjb wrote: »
    had aherd test today the vet rang to say he was going to be late he had got an emergency call
    some farmer had started agitating with the cattle in the shed
    six were dead when he got there six more were down but he was hopefull they would be allright
    it was a bad morning for some poor devil
    why would people be agitating slurry in the closed period:confused: anyways evacuate and ventilate before you agitate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Tanks full maybe, moving slurry to other tanks.

Anyone head to Carrick for a look?

• Advertisement

What's a pub again?:confused:

What one wouldn't give for a few pints of Heineken and a lie in on Sunday morning, ah them were the days

hugo29 wrote: »
    What one wouldn't give for a few pints of Heineken and a lie in on Sunday morning, ah them were the days

What's a lie-in?:P

What's a lie-in?:P
    til 7am around here:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

til 7am around here:cool:
    10 past 7 this morning, great to have that extra few minutes on a sunday morning :) its some bad morning down here, driving rain and looks like some load of it got dumped down last night, soaked to d skin.

White frosty here, just an observation from the bed. Sunday is still a proper lie in day here, thank god.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement