Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

whelan1 wrote: »
    am thinking of a written warning, have already given him 2 verbal warnings- once where he forgot to feed the cows:eek: and another where he broke the pto shaft of the keenan feeder as he didnt have the arms down ( which i have drummed into him at this stage)

I have the drop arms hooked into the end of the lift arms gives a lot of extra clearance between the arms and pto shaft, you can turn until the wheel hits the drawbar. A picture might explain it better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

the last guy i had i got the solicitor to write a written warning, as he told me to fook off(charming) then a few weeks later sacked him for driving the tractor with no oil:o wonder could i write the written warning myself without getting the solicitor

Sure.
    If you have a copy of the last one the solicitor did, use that as a template, change the names, dates and details of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

td5man wrote: »
    I have the drop arms hooked into the end of the lift arms gives a lot of extra clearance between the arms and pto shaft, you can turn until the wheel hits the drawbar. A picture might explain it better
    we have another tractor a case that the topper is on , we take the arms off it for the summer and he still broke the pto shaft on it- now it wasnt as expensive as the keenan feeder one but you just want to scream:o i know no ones perfect but if i break something i have to pay for it, if he breaks something i have to pay for it:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Sounds like he'd make an excellent civil servant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The country would be f**ked without them though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

the reason i wanted him to work yesterday was a. my husband is away so i needed an extra hand to get milking done etc so i could be on time to get them ready
    b. kids have swimming lessons at 4.30 on a monday, half an hour each so its nearly 6 when i get home...
    if monday wasnt going to fit in with his drinking plans he should have said so .... he is here 2 years has been shown the ropes many times, i feed the calves as i know they are done properly, spent a good bit of today doing what he was supposed to do yesterday, will be docking his wages this week, hit him where it hurts, he has a family to support

Time to put up a job listing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

Yeah, there's a calling for him in the Department somewere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

Ah you are too far away I have 12 year old twins that can fodder top spread slurry and dung and help draw the silage bales. They are desperate to learn how to milk as we have a parlour but gave up milking 10 years ago. They have being in training for more than 2 years though

Muckit wrote: »
    The country would be f**ked without them though :D
    Not as much as you think. Outsourcing is becoming more prevalent in our banana republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »

Tj will tell you they are anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Not to rain on anybodys parade here but I think this trial by farming and forestry is unfair on this lad. He is gone home after getting his bollicking etc and thinks that is the end of. If it was.me.and I found out my future was.being discussed like this I would be livid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Not to rain on anybodys parade here but I think this trial by farming and forestry is unfair on this lad. He is gone home after getting his bollicking etc and thinks that is the end of. If it was.me.and I found out my future was.being discussed like this I would be livid.
    And Boards.ie is not as anonymous as some people might think. ;) People may only say small things from time to time, but it doesn't take a lot to put 2 and 2 together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ABlur

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »

Cheaper than a Tumosan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

ABlur wrote: »

Cheaper than a Tumosan!

It is good value only problem is it will be worth nothing after a few years.

pakalasa wrote: »
    And Boards.ie is not as anonymous as some people might think. ;) People may only say small things from time to time, but it doesn't take a lot to put 2 and 2 together.
    i dont care at this stage.... in my mind if you are being paid to look after animals you do what you are paid for, if cows are to be milked at 6.45 you are there are 6.40 that is the way i was brought up, you do not turn up drunk at 8.20 if the cap fits wear it... in my book there is no difference in looking after kids or animals, if your child was to be fed at 6.45 am you would do it, is it fair to assume you can just leave animals because you are drunk:confused::confused:

There is a difference in looking after kids or animals, unless the kids are little goats, then I suppose.....

There is a difference in looking after kids or animals, unless the kids are little goats, then I suppose.....
    not much of a difference imo.... escpecially if you are being paid to do the job.... if you feed the animals last thing before you go home , how do you forget???????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

not much of a difference imo.... escpecially if you are being paid to do the job.... if you feed the animals last thing before you go home , how do you forget???????????????????

Hi Whelan
    Having been a Company manager/owner I think you have to first take a step back let your emotions cool off and access the situation. Saying things like that's the way I was brought up etc will not do anygood, just because you turned up early doesn't mean everyone else will:
    Few questions you need to ask.

What are the advantages/ disadvantages of this guy? everyone has both even yourself!

Whoever you employ will they always be on time? Answer to this is no.

How was the agreement for Monday mornings reached? Was it mutual consent? Be honest here

Have you a specific job description/ responsibilities laid out and easily understood

Have you asked wht reason for drinking previous night ? Regular thing or something special/ one off? If regular then explain your situation and how you can't continue if this possibly going to happen in the future

Finally look at yourself and your man management style is it fair respectful and firm? Talking will solve most problems and disagreements and in my opinion there always has to be some give and take from both sides, however some people may never turn out like u want them too.

What happened can't be undone and turning up late n drunk is a no no, I have seen it happen and the guy was sent home and told come back tomorrow. Sometimes it comes down to available replacements and how disruptful replacing someone will be

As previous poster said there are some rules to follow for dismissal

Best of look

• Advertisement

Ya you wouldn't want to be postin any photos.... the walls have ears... and eyes!!

i text him every sunday morning the 3 days i need him for that week. he replies if they suit him or not. i wil have a chat with him tomorrow and see what the story is and will see where to go from there. i am a bit stuck at the minute as my dad is laid up so have no one to help me out. will definitely be a written warning and docked wages though.i have calmed down a bit from yesterday. thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Farming section Irish indo today page 4

That tractor/machinery quick connector looked a great idea too. Expensive though

Muckit wrote: »
    Ya you wouldn't want to be postin any photos.... the walls have ears... and eyes!!

You would be surprised by the people that you know..or know of...or are a relation of a relation...or that you might happen to sit beside at a breeding demo in the mart ;) my anonymity is well gone I think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gluckantanks

There's a new Hitler video out for anyone interested! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

a bit of a moan, as ye know have a guy on 3 day week, this week its mon, wed and friday- text him this on a sunday morning.... anyways he is supposed to be in at quarter to 7... he arrived in yesterday morning at 8.20:eek: i was just starting the washing in the milking parlor, now to say i was livid was an understatement, my husband is away so i am looking after kids and farm... if i'd known this fella was going to be late i would have started earlier... his excuse was that he had been out drinking:mad: now in my book for 3 mornings it would not kill him to be on time, especially when milking is concerned, he was also late a month ago but my husband rang him that morning and woke him up.... not very reliable... i wanted to sack him yesterday but my husband said you cant sack someone so close to christmas, so i havent spoken to this lad at all since yesterday morning when i gave him an earful.....tbh he looked like he was dying all day:p
    We all have drank too much one night and been a bit late to milk them, I couldn't count on my fingers how many mistakes I've made since starting farming be it breaking things, silly mistakes, bad judgements etc. at least the lad turned up be it over an hour too late! I wouldn't be happy and I'd say it. No ones perfect!

There is a difference between animals and children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

There is a difference between animals and children.

I should dearly hope there is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Oh oh, time to change my user name again then ;)

kevthegaff wrote: »
    We all have drank too much one night and been a bit late to milk them, I couldn't count on my fingers how many mistakes I've made since starting farming be it breaking things, silly mistakes, bad judgements etc. at least the lad turned up be it over an hour too late! I wouldn't be happy and I'd say it. No ones perfect!
    its different if i do it- which is maybe once every 5 years- if i am going drinking i make sure to have cover for the next morning, another annoying factor was he came in at 8.20 and still went for his breakfast as normal at 9.... anyways thats the end of my moan... thanks for the comments

Whelan1

Were you ever an employee? It's completely different. Similar difference between being a tenant and owning the property yourself.

I'm not saying your man should get off scot free, it just his behaviour doesn't surprise me given it is a manual labour job.

just do it wrote: »
    Whelan1

Were you ever an employee? It's completely different. Similar difference between being a tenant and owning the property yourself.

I'm not saying your man should get off scot free, it just his behaviour doesn't surprise me given it is a manual labour job.
    yup, spent 3 years working for other farmers, anyways had a chat with him, he said he should have text me sunday night tio say he wouldnt be in... all sorted,,,, wages being docked and written warning, sorry if i sound ott

yup, spent 3 years working for other farmers, anyways had a chat with him, he said he should have text me sunday night tio say he wouldnt be in... all sorted,,,, wages being docked and written warning, sorry if i sound ott
    Sure isn't that what the thread is for ;). Also some good HR advice from lads in the know so everyone has learned something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

off today to our first suckler meeting of 2013 , play catch up now lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

just do it wrote: »
    Oh oh, time to change my user name again then ;)

Ha ha - will we see a new user called "just do it again"

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭L driver

There's a new Hitler video out for anyone interested! :D:D

Could be Whelan 1 on Monday morning!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Ha ha - will we see a new user called "just do it again"

:D:D:D

Like the guys that work with my missus at a table quiz they had 2 tables. First crew picked "buried in her" as their team name, their mates along side them went with "buried in her too" as theirs.

L driver wrote: »
    Could be Whelan 1 on Monday morning!!
    thats nothing compared to me:D had a guy 4 or 5 years ago and on a friday evening i decided to go to the gym and left him to finish up, had a load of missed calls on my phone when i came out, he had busted the front wheel of the tm125 when feeding, then decided to use digger to feed, busted the back wheel, decided to use the case with loader and busted a hydraulic pipe on the loader... hitler wouldnt have had a look in that evening... you couldnt make it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Christmas is sorted! :Dhttp://www.qwertee.com/product/boards-ie-tee/

1000th post! i've joined the elite! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

fixed that 4 U

DOH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ABlur

You would be surprised by the people that you know..or know of...or are a relation of a relation...or that you might happen to sit beside at a breeding demo in the mart ;) my anonymity is well gone I think!!

Was that you in the woolly cap at the Burren Life thing pic in Journal last week????

ABlur wrote: »

Was that you in the woolly cap at the Burren Life thing pic in Journal last week????
    Didn't see it but I'll check, was it a green John Deere hat, I know I got caught with the camera a few times.

*looks for last weeks journal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

well done bogman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

sure just go to reds facebook page if ya want a to no what he looks like
    people should not have some much info on the interweb about them selves

there some wired fu1ckers out there:eek::eek:

little update on my kids bullying case.... if you are to go public for a child counsellor in my area you will wait up to 9 months:eek::eek::eek: that is just criminal imo... he is going to one privately, she is great for him but the other lad is still annoying him, he is just dealing with it better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

little update on my kids bullying case.... if you are to go public for a child counsellor in my area you will wait up to 9 months:eek::eek::eek: that is just criminal imo... he is going to one privately, she is great for him but the other lad is still annoying him, he is just dealing with it better
    Mine are doing karate

td5man wrote: »
    Mine are doing karate
    my fella has a a punchbag and is beating the crap of it... now if he would just do the same to someone else it would be great;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement