Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I go away for a few days and I miss all sorts of bickering, verbal warnings, written warnings, final warnings, landmark posts, personal issues, and weather moans!
    Christy Moore would have the makings of a song from it all:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

Fairly big fellow:eek: was giving my lads a hard time in the school so I said to the head master that I had the hand brake on them. He said to let it off and he would deal with the outcome. Got a phone call this evening from the other kids mother. The 2 boys had beat him back into the classroom and kept him there for the lunch break and shes not happy about it. Dont know where she got my number from:confused: but I told her that it was the first I heard about it and I would talk to the boys and ask them not to retailiate next time he bullied them she hung up straight away.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

naughto wrote: »
    sure just go to reds facebook page if ya want a to no what he looks like
    people should not have some much info on the interweb about them selves

there some wired fu1ckers out there:eek::eek:
    Sure if someone knows you they do and if they don't they don't, nothing to hide here. And anybody how does know me would twig me from my username fairly fast anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

dzer2 wrote: »
    Fairly big fellow:eek: was giving my lads a hard time in the school so I said to the head master that I had the hand brake on them. He said to let it off and he would deal with the outcome. Got a phone call this evening from the other kids mother. The 2 boys had beat him back into the classroom and kept him there for the lunch break and shes not happy about it. Dont know where she got my number from:confused: but I told her that it was the first I heard about it and I would talk to the boys and ask them not to retailiate next time he bullied them she hung up straight away.:D

Schooled!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

autumn calves all back bvd negative..phew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

one less thing to worry about.

just got the last of my results this morning, all calves for 2012 negative

dar31 wrote: »

ya it s relief, you hear so much about bvd now you kinda expect it, i have one calf that i cant stop coughing, calf from the same cow last year was the same, i kinda had it in my head that he might have it but no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

dar31 wrote: »

ya it s relief, you hear so much about bvd now you kinda expect it, i have one calf that i cant stop coughing, calf from the same cow last year was the same, i kinda had it in my head that he might have it but no

Great result lads.

Vander were you doing the voluntay BVD testing or have you just started this autumn?

• Advertisement

towzer2010 wrote: »
    Great result lads.

Vander were you doing the voluntay BVD testing or have you just started this autumn?

i back ordered the buttons for the calves already born this autumn, i figured there wasnt much point in doing the ones that calf in the new year if i wasnt going to do them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

all mine were negative last year too, does anyone know of any positive results

also another cow calved a smashing BB heifer last night, squirted her out on her own and calf bounced up and jumped onto the teet

jayus i wonder should I have changed to the Charlaois Bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

hugo29 wrote: »
    all mine were negative last year too, does anyone know of any positive results

also another cow calved a smashing BB heifer last night, squirted her out on her own and calf bounced up and jumped onto the teet

jayus i wonder should I have changed to the Charlaois Bull
    had 1 positive in march

whelan1 wrote: »
    had 1 positive in march
    What was the process from there

its different this year isnt it as scheme is compulsory

did I see also the Suckler Cow Welfare Scheme is being reduced to €20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

did I see also the Suckler Cow Welfare Scheme is being reduced to €20[/QUO

YOU WISH THAT WAS ALL:)!!!,scwsgone...will be max 400 euro payment per farm not per cow.

lads sent scour sample off to lab, having a share of trouble with it this year..came back with ecoli and crypto..
    is there a vaccine that would cover both, still waiting to hear back from vets

• Advertisement

lads sent scour sample off to lab, having a share of trouble with it this year..came back with ecoli and crypto..
    for the crypto, i give halocur for the first 3 days after birth.... some people give it for a week but works ok for me for the 3 days, 3x4ml shots a day

did I see also the Suckler Cow Welfare Scheme is being reduced to €20
    well, gert the calf blooded, blood the mother also, if it comes back positve then you dispose of calf... ahi pay 15e towrds disposal costs... my dad had a pb aa calf positive the same week as my one, calf came back positive on blood and was taken by knackery- smashing bull calf... he was supposed to get 100 euro compo towrds the upkeep of the dam, both mothers came back negative when blooded

do you vaccinate cows with rotavec corona?

do you vaccinate cows with rotavec corona?
    no have never vaccinated cows

no have never vaccinated cows
    rotavec covers ecoli along with other things, give at least 3 weeks before calving, ensure calf get adequate biestings from treated cow for at least a week after birth... here i use rotavec corona, halocur, vecoxxan:rolleyes: but if it works its worth it

• Advertisement

did I see also the Suckler Cow Welfare Scheme is being reduced to €20[/QUO

YOU WISH THAT WAS ALL:)!!!,scwsgone...will be max 400 euro payment per farm not per cow.

what gone, your effing kidding, so no matter how many calves you get €400 and is it pro rata on calf numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

what gone, your effing kidding, so no matter how many calves you get €400 and is it pro rata on calf numbers

If total calves < 20 then get total calves x 20
    Else you get 400

Bought a hook dosing gun in Ennis today, Im mad to try it out now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

As Whelan said Halocur is the only thing for crypto Van .
    Had my fair share of losses with that Crypto few years ago and Halocur was the only solution .
    If your cows are calving now your prob too late to use rotavec corona for the ecoli unless there spread out ???
    i think its between 3 weeks and 3 months of their due date is the vaccination time .

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

I broke the glass / optic in mine last week trying to lift a beasts head (felt like a right charlie when I heard it crack!)

Does anyone know if you can buy a new part or have I to buy a whole new gun? The local co-op where I bought it said I'd have to buy the whole thing. (Its not the hook type by the way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

I broke the glass / optic in mine last week trying to lift a beasts head (felt like a right charlie when I heard it crack!)

Does anyone know if you can buy a new part or have I to buy a whole new gun? The local co-op where I bought it said I'd have to buy the whole thing.

I send mine off to be serviced every now and again . It gets a fair bit of use in the summer at lambs .
    Hand it into the local Glanbia and they send them off for service and repairs . Usually get it back within a fortnight

jeeny. its fairly cold out. horrible wind and rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

jeeny. its fairly cold out. horrible wind and rain

Didn't get here yet but bad during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

adne wrote: »

If total calves < 20 then get total calves x 20
    Else you get 400

Thats some slap in the balls down from E80 a head, so for 6 calves and all the paperwork = 120.. they can stick it:pac: and creep E10+ a bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

Calves that are born this month will they still get the old rate:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

not sure what the hell is going on here
    http://youtu.be/4TczQZUboe0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Calves that are born this month will they still get the old rate:confused:
    yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Dad sold 2 AZL BB bull weanlings in Castlerea yesterday. Had pics of them on the Livestock Photo thread a while back.
    1st one born March, 400kg - €1,165. €2.91/kilo
    2nd one born April, 370kg - €1,070. 2.89/kilo
    He was happy enough as they got hardly any nuts except for the last 2-3 weeks and as he said he would have to keep them a while and feed them well to get them up to €1,800. Wishing he had a few more like them to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Fair play Redz! Is that lad from Ped cattle in there?

You'I have to get back to us and let us know how you get on with it, want to invest in one myself ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Any chance of a pic? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Muckit wrote: »
    Fair play Redz! Is that lad from Ped cattle in there?

You'I have to get back to us and let us know how you get on with it, want to invest in one myself ;)

if you dont have a hook drencher, dont wait for pictures, just go and buy one. one of the best investment I ever made, have our a good few years and put a huge volume of stuff through it and no problems and I constantly just leave it full of product. Just go get one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

if you dont have a hook drencher, dont wait for pictures

I'm still waiting for the pics of the stokbord!!!! :D:p:D:p

Ya it'I be bought. Just want to get a good one. I think they have the Prima tech ones (made in U.S. I think) in local place here

Would you loose drench if you turned up hook or is there a valve in them or what bob?

just do it wrote: »
    Any chance of a pic? :)

The gun itself is a prima tech 70ml one which your man told be is 65e by itself, he wanted 79e for the gun and the hook but I got it for 75. The hook itself is a fairly solid piece of equipment and the gun comes with a normal dosing nozzle and a nozzle for putting on pouron. I cant tell ye how good the gun is until I get to use it but your man made out they are one of the best of them.

photo-948.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

what is the hook for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Muckit wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the pics of the stokbord!!!! :D:p:D:p

Ya it'I be bought. Just want to get a good one. I think they have the Prima tech ones (made in U.S. I think) in local place here

Would you loose drench if you turned up hook or is there a valve in them or what bob?

Will you have patients, Jasus if I was only after getting married stokbord and a hook drencher would be the last think on my mind with the missus due to walk in the door :D:D

went to take the pictures 20mins ago of stokbord and the batteries were gone dead, will have a pic up before midnight

hook drencher has a vaccum so that does doesnt drip out unless lever is pushed. I have put hundreds of litres through mine, will check the make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

Jasus if I was only after getting married stokbord and a hook drencher would be the last think on my mind with the missus due to walk in the door :D:D

Now now bob, what goes on between two consenting adults behind closed doors is nobodys business but their own:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

mf240 wrote: »

Now now bob, what goes on between two consenting adults behind closed doors is nobodys business but their own:D:D:D
    Any pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

td5man wrote: »
    Any pics

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Durrus Boy

The gun itself is a prima tech 70ml one which your man told be is 65e by itself, he wanted 79e for the gun and the hook but I got it for 75. The hook itself is a fairly solid piece of equipment and the gun comes with a normal dosing nozzle and a nozzle for putting on pouron. I cant tell ye how good the gun is until I get to use it but your man made out they are one of the best of them.

photo-948.jpg

Bought exact same gun last year - only issue i had was that the plunger is 'driven' by the top of the grey handle which wraps around it and sits into 2 notches( all plastic). When i was dosing the cattle last year the wrap-around part cracked and slips over the notches - there can be a fair bit of pressure when pumping over 50ml. Have it sealed together again but always keep an eye on it when dosing and tend to pump smaller amounts if a large dosage required.

Anyone know of any other makes of a better design? - i.e less plastic!!

• Advertisement

a buddy of mine sold a very average blue by AZL...280-290kg E710 and he only got contacted by the mart to get vet to stamp form that he was going for export.. "export Quality" at E710? Seriously?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

going north or to spain maybe?

going north or to spain maybe?

Tunisia was on the form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

It would'nt take those lads long to plough a field. No need for fancy reversables.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

That fella reseeded a field for me 3 years ago . Decent lad, he put speedbumps in for me every 10 yards, and didn't charge a penny extra :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement