Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

leg wax wrote: »
    theres your problem a hurley was only made to hit fellas around the knees and ankles,it must have fallen off the back of a kilkenny lorry.:p

Two best times to pull with the hurley, is first before the ball comes in, and second after the ball is gone:cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

mowed silage this mornin, hope it stays dry for a few hours now:cool:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

scanned 25 cows this morning 21 in calf , am happy enough with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

as whelan1 says fook it ,1 of my part heifers aborted,just back from the lab have to wait and see what they find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

as whelan1 says fook it ,1 of my part heifers aborted,just back from the lab have to wait and see what they find.

That's a bummer. Was she long gone?

reilig wrote: »
    That's a bummer. Was she long gone?
    due the end of july/aug:mad:

do you lepto ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

whelan1 wrote: »
    do you lepto ?

I hope you're not going to suggest that he should be vaccinating against lepto, that would consitute giving vetinary advice :D

Tipp Man wrote: »
    I hope you're not going to suggest that he should be vaccinating against lepto, that would consitute giving vetinary advice :D
    god no! was only asking as i am being nosey , maybe i should delete that question:)

do you lepto ?
    yes

• Advertisement

yes
    once or twice a year, maybe it was just one of those things , i had one threw her calf a few weeks got her tested and nothing showed up , i have a bitch of a cow that headbutts and i blame her :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Turf still under water in Mayo - my plot didn't even get a break from this rotten summer over the weekend up here:(!!

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Turf still under water in Mayo - my plot didn't even get a break from this rotten summer over the weekend up here:(!!

Mine are cut since May 1st. I have 19 out of 25 hoppers footed. Its painful work. They have received so much rain, and haven't shrunk at all. I sprayed the grass around them a few weeks back which has helped to dry them a bit better. Hopefully this week will see the rest of them lifted.

was looking out the window last night , i have 7 calves and 2 pet lambs in a paddock beside the house... the playacting of them was unreal , the 2 lambs where running through the calves legs and the calves where trying to catch them ... should have video'd it for you tube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭stanflt

did all the cows for lepto this morning-knocked 30acres of grass for second cut-hopefully rain will stay away-will do cows for bvd in 3days and then its time for spot on- like to leave 3days between them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Have all my turf home two weeks ago. It was cut in the real good spell back in april. Some people on on our bog cut a second cut two weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

sea12 wrote: »
    Have all my turf home two weeks ago. It was cut in the real good spell back in april. Some people on on our bog cut a second cut two weeks ago.

Where are you?? - since theres been a massive difference in the elements from East to West this summer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Rollant46

we have all footed and some of he turf on pallets so they are dry enough id say if ther was another day or two of dry weather they would be fit for home!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I've never cut turf....but, can you not bring it home wet and dry it in an open shed.

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    I've never cut turf....but, can you not bring it home wet and dry it in an open shed.

Its not the ideal solution. If you put it in the shed before it drys, it tends to break into very small pieces as it drys and you end up with a lot of turf moul.
    Turf needs weather (sun, rain and wind) in order for it to dry properly over a period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

The place to rear turf is the bog!
    It tends to 'sweat' if you put it in the shed wet. You would get away with a certain amount of it on the rare side by throwing it up on top of the dry turf in the shed.
    The odd time I see at home lads with a few footings in the garden trying to dry but its not ideal.
    I wouldn't panic yet about turf, people have in recent years got into the routine of trying to get turf home too early and some banks getting a second cut.
    It's a while till sept yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Where are you?? - since theres been a massive difference in the elements from East to West this summer!!

I'm in Laois;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I had a cow calve while i was laid up. Couldnt find the calf in rushes and thought he was either dead or hiding. If he was hiding he would get hungry in a day or two and i could catch him and bring him back. So every day when herding, i would drive round the field in the tractor looking for a calf or a body. As time went on i realised i was looking for a body. Day 11 and i went down for the last time to look and there was my poly heifer looking out the gate at me. She was hungry but in good condition considering how long she was lost. And then on day 14 her mother comes bulling:). I think i fell on my feet with those two. Happy days:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

5live wrote: »
    I had a cow calve while i was laid up. Couldnt find the calf in rushes and thought he was either dead or hiding. If he was hiding he would get hungry in a day or two and i could catch him and bring him back. So every day when herding, i would drive round the field in the tractor looking for a calf or a body. As time went on i realised i was looking for a body. Day 11 and i went down for the last time to look and there was my poly heifer looking out the gate at me. She was hungry but in good condition considering how long she was lost. And then on day 14 her mother comes bulling:). I think i fell on my feet with those two. Happy days:D

How many days was she in the field with out the mother ?

How many days was she in the field with out the mother ?
    11 days:eek:. I had no sucklers with that bunch of cattle so she couldnt have had anything to eat in 11 days. I think she must have been drinking from the river as there is no way she could survive for that long without something to drink. I have her up to 3 litres a day now but this girl has me in shock. You just cant kill a poly:)

• Advertisement

11 days:eek:. I had no sucklers with that bunch of cattle so she couldnt have had anything to eat in 11 days. I think she must have been drinking from the river as there is no way she could survive for that long without something to drink. I have her up to 3 litres a day now but this girl has me in shock. You just cant kill a poly:)
    yup , angus are hard to beat... that was some find .... glad she's ok...

Amazing, and you are right you can't beat a black poly

Should have her on Ripleys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Those drugs the quacks prescribed to you, are having some quite pleasant side effects:D

anyone going to the tall ships, i have a boardies camp site 3 tents so far in silage field opposite the park and ride.

anyone going to the tall ships, i have a boardies camp site 3 tents so far in silage field opposite the park and ride.

Perfect time to let in the bull;)

• Advertisement

BeeDI wrote: »
    Those drugs the quacks prescribed to you, are having some quite pleasant side effects:D
    LOL. You have no idea what happens when you mix up to 6 different meds:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

ye was thinking of heading down saturday once finished sowing some hayseed:D whats the story with camping etc in the area very little on the website??

• Registered Users Posts: 21 COCKPHESANT

which park and ride? have you room for 2 camper vans?

Cran wrote: »
    ye was thinking of heading down saturday once finished sowing some hayseed:D whats the story with camping etc in the area very little on the website??
    there is very little camping sites in the city if any at all nearest is tramore i think. silage field opp the green car park is there at your own risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 COCKPHESANT

Thanks, I will run it by the other half.

went checking the cattle this morning and my group of incalf heifers and bull had broken into my dads suckler herd :rolleyes: they had lifted gate and gate post clean out of the ground , didnt even break the post:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

bulls fight?

this is the funny bit the bull thats with the heifers stayed on his own so was easy to get back and all the friesian heifers went in with the angus , the bull that was with the sucklers was in his element and was not impressed at being seperated from them... at the same time there was an army helicopter flying really low - my dad said it was the dept guys keeping an eye on us:o it circled us about 5 times, dont know what that was for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

at the same time there was an army helicopter flying really low - my dad said it was the dept guys keeping an eye on us:o it circled us about 5 times, dont know what that was for

When I'm in work I like nothing more than checking out other farmers stock, on my travels.
    I don't pilot a chopper though!

went checking the cattle this morning and my group of incalf heifers and bull had broken into my dads suckler herd :rolleyes: they had lifted gate and gate post clean out of the ground , didnt even break the post:o

Aul fella has grass, young filly doesn't ;)

• Advertisement

injected my tumb with bimectin this morning-my eyes are all puffy now:eek:

stanflt wrote: »
    I INJECTED MYSELF WITH MICOTIL A FEW YEARS AGO , THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE:p had to go to hospital... did you ring doctor....

I INJECTED MYSELF WITH MICOTIL A FEW YEARS AGO , THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE:p had to go to hospital... did you ring doctor....

no rang the vet-he said that years ago some person that had worms in his eyes was injected with ivermec and it cured him:D
    it will just be a bit irratant thats all (i hope)
    got some spot on on my skin the other evening and the midgets arent coming near me in the evenings:p

used to always get really bad heartburn from pour ons - the lice ones- think they have changed the ingredients now... hate the iodine/ trodax hands though

going on hols today have to get into french mode back on the 14th so best of look to everyone while i am gone hope all the silage and hay is finished when i get back.

going on hols today have to get into french mode back on the 14th so best of look to everyone while i am gone hope all the silage and hay is finished when i get back.
    enjoy , hope the weather is as good there as here.... found a mushroom this morning when getting cows , first i have seen this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

stanflt wrote: »
    A few years back, I got a bad rash all over my body. It was like big hives. Turned out it was a bottle of Noromectin that I had in the booth of the car. It had fallen over and leaked a little.
    Imagine , the fumes alone did that. Powerful stuff that Ivermectin.
    I havent had worms since. :D

pakalasa wrote: »
    A few years back, I got a bad rash all over my body. It was like big hives. Turned out it was a bottle of Noromectin that I had in the booth of the car. It had fallen over and leaked a little.
    Imagine , the fumes alone did that. Powerful stuff that Ivermectin.
    I havent had worms since. :D
    I hope you filled in the animal remedies book;)

Bizzum wrote: »
    When I'm in work I like nothing more than checking out other farmers stock, on my travels.
    I don't pilot a chopper though!

Use to know a full time cattle dealer, part time guard back in the day.
    Two caves in the boot was not unusual

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Just got two compliments from the ould fella, I nearly dropped. Great grass, and good lambs says he, while we were moving my little flock. Well, I've good grass, not impressed with my lambs but I won't argue :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement