Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

just in case Im keeping muckit up, waiting for late night dirty pictures of stokbord. picture is of the same dividing gate back and front. The outside is 2" gal piping with the internal bars 1.5" piping. the stokbord is bolted onto the perimeter bars with welded 30mmX5mm flat with holes in it. This stops the stokbord "peeling" with animals scratching as the edge of the stokboard is hiding under the piping IYKWIM. Can get better pic during daylight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

ah fair play to ya bob :D I'm off to dream about stokbord now! :p:D

strange, has Mr Goodman taken over the running of the Dept of Ag or what

http://www.aibp.ie/

dont know what I was doing on the ag site and noticed the web address, strange

anyway good news from de minister
    http://www.aibp.ie/press/pressreleases/2012/december/title,67957,en.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Could this be done with Dairy Cows to get the perfect Latte ?

IN the lush hills of northern Thailand, a herd of 20 elephants is excreting some of the world's most expensive coffee.

Trumpeted as earthy in flavour and smooth on the palate, the exotic new brew is made from beans eaten by Thai elephants and plucked a day later from their dung. A gut reaction inside the elephant creates what its founder calls the coffee's unique taste.

Stomach turning or oddly alluring, this is not just one of the world's most unusual specialty coffees. At $1,100 (€850) per kilogramme, it's also among the world's priciest.

Called Black Ivory Coffee, it was launched last month at a few luxury hotels, with the price tag of about $50 (€38) a cup.

Irish Independent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

colrow wrote: »
    Could this be done with Dairy Cows to get the perfect Latte ...
    Snobby people, will believe anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

colrow wrote: »
    Could this be done with Dairy Cows to get the perfect Latte ?

IN the lush hills of northern Thailand, a herd of 20 elephants is excreting some of the world's most expensive coffee.

Trumpeted as earthy in flavour and smooth on the palate, the exotic new brew is made from beans eaten by Thai elephants and plucked a day later from their dung. A gut reaction inside the elephant creates what its founder calls the coffee's unique taste.

Stomach turning or oddly alluring, this is not just one of the world's most unusual specialty coffees. At $1,100 (€850) per kilogramme, it's also among the world's priciest.

Called Black Ivory Coffee, it was launched last month at a few luxury hotels, with the price tag of about $50 (€38) a cup.

Irish Independent
    You can get weasel coffee too. something similar in production processes only fed through weasels. mad expensive ****.

1chippy wrote: »
    You can get weasel coffee too. something similar in production processes only fed through weasels. mad expensive ****.

and stuff through a cat. humans next I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

was in carnew mart today with 2 fr cull cows

580 kg €880 br fr type nice bit of flesh dry a good while
    660 kg €990 hol ave flesh dry month

both had no extra feeding and would need a good bit more

had to ask auctioneer if i heard bid right:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

dar31 wrote: »
    was in carnew mart today with 2 fr cull cows

580 kg €880 br fr type nice bit of flesh dry a good while
    660 kg €990 hol ave flesh dry month

both had no extra feeding and would need a good bit more

had to ask auctioneer if i heard bid right:D

:eek::eek::eek: some difference towards what ive seen recently
    anyone see any fr cull cows selling resonable enough? :):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

started a discussion on hunting but yet again it was closed:confused: have sheep grazing my land as it was too wet to be grazed by cattle/cows, yesterday there was abig red dog bigger than the sheep had 1 sheep cornered ... i rang the gun club, as we heard gun shots and rang owner of sheep... he had only been through them half an hour before hand .. when the owner of sheep arrived the dog ran away, he said it was as if the owner had called it away, i know in my mind a dog attacking a sheep doesnt leave it til the job is done... he hadnt his gun ready.... gun club said they have only weekend shooting in force, and dog description did not match any of their dogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

whelan1 wrote: »
    started a discussion on hunting but yet again it was closed:confused: have sheep grazing my land as it was too wet to be grazed by cattle/cows, yesterday there was abig red dog bigger than the sheep had 1 sheep cornered ... i rang the gun club, as we heard gun shots and rang owner of sheep... he had only been through them half an hour before hand .. when the owner of sheep arrived the dog ran away, he said it was as if the owner had called it away, i know in my mind a dog attacking a sheep doesnt leave it til the job is done... he hadnt his gun ready.... gun club said they have only weekend shooting in force, and dog description did not match any of their dogs
    What breed of dog do you think it was? What are they out hunting? Those there sheep are impossible to mind!

i hate sheep, only place for them is a lamb chop or a wooly jumper, but i have land that hasnt been grazed since august so let them in to graze it off. i do not like to see animals being cornered like that.apparently they are hunting pigeons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

i hate sheep, only place for them is a lamb chop or a wooly jumper, but i have land that hasnt been grazed since august so let them in to graze it off. i do not like to see animals being cornered like that.apparently they are hunting pigeons

Hunting fcuking pigeons you are kidding me, they must be bored, send them to Italy the place is full of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hi Whelan,

So there was lads in hunting pigeons, with a dog, and the dog had a sheep cornered?...

Any idea who they were?

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

One of the nicest sights i think myself in the farming community. Field of new born lambs in spring in a nice field of grass:eek: wooly jumpers

Jeez whealan1, put up another post. You're on 6666, that can't be a lucky number :D

Hi Whelan,

So there was lads in hunting pigeons, with a dog, and the dog had a sheep cornered?...

Any idea who they were?

no idea. rang gun club and sheep owner... i did my duty. i am fed up of anytime i start a thread on the hunting forum to ask an innocent question it gets closed:confused:

no idea. rang gun club and sheep owner... i did my duty. i am fed up of anytime i start a thread on the hunting forum to ask an innocent question it gets closed:confused:

Well, my experience is lads hunting cause more problems than anything else... :(

I guess the hunting forum dont like these sort of 'awkward' questions... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

"those there sheep are hard to mind "not that hard to mind if you put up a good fence. These people that cannot control their f...... dogs are the problem .Had a number of attacks on mine over the years.Between killed and having to be put down,not nice ,not nice at all.And then have to listen to "not my dog sure he would not hurt a fly":mad:

• Advertisement

Worth a look:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Not to question the moderation or attitude of the posters on the hunting forum but you are as well off to stay away from it, I learned this the hard way like you when they started talking about shooting ''mad'' cows. Its easier to just avoid the forum altogether because things normally end up boiling over into an argument.

"those there sheep are hard to mind "not that hard to mind if you put up a good fence. These people that cannot control their f...... dogs are the problem .Had a number of attacks on mine over the years.Between killed and having to be put down,not nice ,not nice at all.And then have to listen to "not my dog sure he would not hurt a fly":mad:

Agree with you 100%
    Know myself from bitter experience... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

I always find it hard to warm to people who take pleasure from shooting animals as a passtime. No issues with hunting to eat the kill, but pleasure, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

In october in calf heifers were running like hell around the field, so went to check on them.
    Couldnt see a thing that set them off so waited a while with them to calm them down.

Anyway just as I was leaving I saw two guys with dogs doing their best to avoid me (they obviously clocked me before I did) they swiftly made their way over the bounds ditch into the neighbours.

Caught up with them and explained that the lands were preserved and that I had in calf heifers close to calving. Also let them know that the local gun club knew that the land was preserved.

Their only response was 'we were only hunting rabbit' and carried on not giving two s**ts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

simx wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: some difference towards what ive seen recently
    anyone see any fr cull cows selling resonable enough? :):D

Where's Carnew?

I have a few culls I was going to fatten.

• Advertisement

Not to question the moderation or attitude of the posters on the hunting forum but you are as well off to stay away from it, I learned this the hard way like you when they started talking about shooting ''mad'' cows. Its easier to just avoid the forum altogether because things normally end up boiling over into an argument.

Nah mate just give the rest of us a shout next time you're going down there and we'll give you a hand. Couple of heineken bottles in the pockets and anyone who wants some can have it. We'll let whelan1 throw the first dig and then we'll all pile in.:D

it seems to be a very strange forum that landowners can not ask a simple question....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Took the plunge last night and bought the charlaois bull,Ada bull from indurain cow serious animal,

Can anyone tell me how to get the kids to do what their told, roll on bed time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

hugo29 wrote: »
    Took the plunge last night and bought the charlaois bull,Ada bull from indurain cow serious animal,

A big stick and an understanding community welfare officer, will work on the bull too, best of luck with him

good luck with the bull.....came in from milking yesterday to wotld war 3, 2 youngest having a row over the decorating of the christmas tree, felt like walking straight back out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

tumblr_ls59qr9Yar1qcqjlf.jpg

Although these days the kids may be able to sue you :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I always find it hard to warm to people who take pleasure from shooting animals as a passtime. No issues with hunting to eat the kill, but pleasure, no.
    I suppose it's at odds with what we do as farmers, looking after livestock and all that. Having to put down an animal is not something we enjoy either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

+1

Only got gun and licence in last month... Vermin and dogs if necessary ... Land is full of pheasant (too easy to kill) and woodcock but I've no interest in killing anything unless i or a family member /neighbour will eat it!

I don't have sheep and have often watched the young fox cubs playing so I don't have a horn for killing them either but if I get sheep in future all that will change if I lose lambs

I love duck to eat so I'd probably pop a duck alright and clean it/ cook it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

it seems to be a very strange forum that landowners can not ask a simple question....

Just after reading that forum.....you went hard on the gun club considering you couldn't prove who owned the dog!!!!!!! I had the same problem, but I just had to be patient and watch the field until I saw the dog and got to identify the owner, I tell you it didn't happen again.

rancher wrote: »
    Just after reading that forum.....you went hard on the gun club considering you couldn't prove who owned the dog!!!!!!! I had the same problem, but I just had to be patient and watch the field until I saw the dog and got to identify the owner, I tell you it didn't happen again.
    but how is the normal farmer supposed to know who owns what dog, have enough to be doing without knowing who owns what.... the gun club has a rule if there are sheep on land you do not go in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

but how is the normal farmer supposed to know who owns what dog, have enough to be doing without knowing who owns what.... the gun club has a rule if there are sheep on land you do not go in

Now whelan im on your side here and I dont allow anybody on my land to hunt.

But the gun club cant be held responsible if this dogs owner doesnt belong to it.

He may have been kicked out of it for acting the pr1ck before.

when you have a riffle for dealing with dogs etc stock worrying you usually find the owner pretty quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

pakalasa wrote: »
    I suppose it's at odds with what we do as farmers, looking after livestock and all that. Having to put down an animal is not something we enjoy either.

Are you comparing putting a cow down to shooting wild animals for pleasure? Please tell me that you can see a difference.

thanks lads, will just hope the dog doesnt enter our land again... have been on to gun club and let them know what i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Suckler

... have been on to gun club and let them know what i think

Why? If the dog is nothing to do with the the gun club whats the point in going after them?:confused:

• Advertisement

Suckler wrote: »
    Why? If the dog is nothing to do with the the gun club whats the point in going after them?:confused:
    to ask if the dog belonged to any of their members or if they knew who owned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Plenty of big red dogs are kept as pets, don't belong to shooters at all....have to be realistic, this problem has escalated since the start of celtic tiger years as urban dwellers who haven't a clue about the countryside have moved out into the country and are letting their pets go everywhere, cats, dogs, and believe it or not ...hens
    I've said it here before that every farmer should be reporting stray dogs, too many people going out in the morning for the day leaving the house empty and the dogs out and local farmers are aware of it and don't report them because they don't have sheep.
    end of rant

Plenty of big red dogs are kept as pets, don't belong to shooters at all....have to be realistic, this problem has escalated since the start of celtic tiger years as urban dwellers who haven't a clue about the countryside have moved out into the country and are letting their pets go everywhere, cats, dogs, and believe it or not ...hens
    I've said it here before that every farmer should be reporting stray dogs, too many people going out in the morning for the day leaving the house empty and the dogs out and local farmers are aware of it and don't report them because they don't have sheep.
    end of rant
    yipee for once we agree:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Suckler

Did you ask or did you let them know what you thought, there's a big difference.
    this problem has escalated since the start of celtic tiger years as urban dwellers who haven't a clue about the countryside have moved out into the country and are letting their pets go everywhere

This was a problem long before "Urban Dwellers" moved out to the countryside. They are just an easier group to point the finger at.

i asked them did they know who owned the dog, i said it wasnt good to be seeing dogs after the sheep, didnt loose my cool just let them know that straying dogs should not be near sheep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

They'd probably deny it was one of theres,thats what they did when someone shot at my 8 year old.

Despite what I posted about the hunting thread we have a very good relationship with the local gun club. They are always available for pest control be that around the yard or in the corn a sowing and near harvest, in return they have fairly free rain to hunt over our land in season. They release a couple of hundred phesants every year across all of the land where they have agreements like the one with us. We've never had a bother with straying dogs from the gun club at any rate. Funny thing is many of the members if not a majority aren't from the country at all but they have good respect for the agreement and respect for the landowners wishes.

One of the local hunts on the other hand are a complete bunch of ***** they approached us again through a memeber we knew well to allow them to hunt our ground a couple of years ago. We agreed because of who was asking but asked that they not hunt near or through the yard. Got a call to say they might be hunting near us in the next few days, no bother work away. Feeding out a couple of days later and suddenly every animal in the shed went mad, the whole f**king hunt dogs, horses, followers trotting through the yard. I enquired what they thought they were doing, we were only...... was the beginning of the reply,I directed them to the road by the shortest route and told them not to bother making any more calls. I was told since that the same crowd have more wire snips than whips amongst the riders. This was by a guy who hunts with them occasionally and who pulled up one of the organisers of the hunt as he was about to cut boundary wires on his brothers farm depite the fact there was a "hunting cut" in the ditch 60 yards away specifically for the hunt and where no fences needed to be interfered with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

No doubt there is a dog problem in this country. Here's an idea: Compulsory microchipping of all dogs linked into a Dept of Ag system similar to CMMS. Every dog then is traceable and the registered owner accountable for the dogs actions. The Dept of Ag has shown us they can implement such a system, so why not have them at it?
    The current system is poor and badly enforced, and even if you catch a dog in the act the "owner" may deny ownership, the dog may or may not be chipped, the chip may or may not be registered to the owner etc., and we as farmers are left carrying the can.
    I know there are limitations to what I'm saying, but it's a hell of a lot better than what's currently happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

td5man wrote: »
    They'd probably deny it was one of theres,thats what they did when someone shot at my 8 year old.

What happened:eek:?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Bizzum wrote: »

What happened:eek:?
    He was running behind a hedge to open a gate two lads in the next field saw something behind the hedge and fired.
    He said there was a flash and the grass lay down and stuff started to land all round him.
    The two lads disappeared fairly lively and the gun club said none of their lads where in the area that day despite the description
    matching two of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement