Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

td5man wrote: »
    He was running behind a hedge to open a gate two lads in the next field saw something behind the hedge and fired.
    He said there was a flash and the grass lay down and stuff started to land all round him.
    The two lads disappeared fairly lively and the gun club said none of their lads where in the area that day despite the description
    matching two of them.

This is exactly why all gun club members should ask for permission each and every time they want to come onto a farm. This thing of asking for blanket permission is no good. I've all lads warned coming into our land that they need to clear it with me every time they want to come on shooting.

What kind of lugs were those pair anyway?? They shouldn't be allowed carry a stck, let alone a loaded gun!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

td5man wrote: »
    He was running behind a hedge to open a gate two lads in the next field saw something behind the hedge and fired.
    He said there was a flash and the grass lay down and stuff started to land all round him.
    The two lads disappeared fairly lively and the gun club said none of their lads where in the area that day despite the description
    matching two of them.

Not gun club I'd have called gardai would be first call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Suckler wrote: »

This was a problem long before "Urban Dwellers" moved out to the countryside. They are just an easier group to point the finger at.

True, but I did say ''has escalated'' which it has around here anyway,
    As regards gun clubs, I think you'll find that the members are very clued in to their responsibilities and I know its drilled into them how to behave on farms and would seldom give hassle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭stanflt

have to dry off 14cows that are due the last week in january off in the morning:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Are you comparing putting a cow down to shooting wild animals for pleasure? Please tell me that you can see a difference.
    Idon't know what to say to that. Of course there is a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

pakalasa wrote: »
    Idon't know what to say to that. Of course there is a difference.

Stupid post by me. I misread it and got confused. It's the recession! Sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

rancher wrote: »

True, but I did say ''has escalated'' which it has around here anyway,
    As regards gun clubs, I think you'll find that the members are very clued in to their responsibilities and I know its drilled into them how to behave on farms and would seldom give hassle

Tbh - I have no problem with Gunclubs - it's the random shooters that turn up any time day or night without asking that pees me off
    These boyos appear to reckon anything fair game....:-H

I suppose in some ways I am lucky in that I have a excellent relationship with the local hunt who always ask for permissionand only turn up twice a year. They have also stood me a couple of good turns with regard to difficult to access sick / Mangey foxes out of their season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

gozunda wrote: »
    Tbh - I have no problem with Gunclubs - it's the random shooters that turn up any time day or night without asking that pees me off
    These boyos appear to reckon anything fair game....:-H.

I think this is spot on. A well run and regulated gunclub is an asset in an area.
    These travelling "All Ireland" gunmen have little regard for anywhere nor any ambition to put anything back, it's take,take,take.
    Give me a well run club any day!

Bizzum wrote: »
    I think this is spot on. A well run and regulated gunclub is an asset in an area.
    These travelling "All Ireland" gunmen have little regard for anywhere nor any ambition to put anything back, it's take,take,take.
    Give me a well run club any day!

Yup and they're inclined to take a dim view of the "All Ireland" gunmen as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

tad on low side alright:D

There's always something in the add that gives it away. Sean Murphy's wife Jessica....:D

There's always something in the add that gives it away. Sean Murphy's wife Jessica....:D

sure one of the pics has front linkage and the other doesnt

Never spotted that.:D I was looking for number plates in the background, types of building etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I think one of the interior pics shows a different control panel (not sure what the right name is, my 135 doesn't have one) ;):D
    Never spotted that.:D I was looking for number plates in the background, types of building etc.

There is a sign for this crowd in the background of one of the pics, they seem to be based in the UK...
    http://www.agritracexports.com/

let the bull back in with cows there this morning, was trying to leave him out there for another while and stick to ai but cows gone mad there the last day or two, impossible know who is bulling..annoying..hopefully when settles down will let him out again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

What do you think of this on donedeal? If it's ok what would it be worth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Anyone know what 1 or 2 wk old dairy bull calves are making at the minute? Stupidly late in the year I know, I'd usually bring them to Carnew. (anyone here know if there are many on a Saturday there now?). Or am I just wasting diesel going down with them? All big and strong in fairness from big holsteins cows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Timmaay wrote: »
    Anyone know what 1 or 2 wk old dairy bull calves are making at the minute? Stupidly late in the year I know, I'd usually bring them to Carnew. (anyone here know if there are many on a Saturday there now?). Or am I just wasting diesel going down with them? All big and strong in fairness from big holsteins cows.

What about Thursday morning in Blessington??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

just do it wrote: »

I'd prefer if it was on the tractor so that I could see that it was working properly and that there was no wear on the main pin. Also that it wasn't leaking any oil. Years and years ago we bought a new kit for our 168. It cost 450 pounds at the time. Have no idea what a kit costs these days.

• Advertisement

reilig wrote: »
    I'd prefer if it was on the tractor so that I could see that it was working properly and that there was no wear on the main pin. Also that it wasn't leaking any oil. Years and years ago we bought a new kit for our 168. It cost 450 pounds at the time. Have no idea what a kit costs these days.

A quick google threw up this. About half way down is a power steering kit (original type) for €420. Would a novice mechanic like me be able to fit this? Does this kit include everything i.e. is there anything else I'd need?

Mrs FIC left the house to go to work at 7 this morning temp on the car thermometer read 5.5 degrees C when she got to work in Kilkenny at 7.45 the outside temp was -1.5 degrees C. 7 degrees in less than 40 miles:eek:. I felt it got a little colder after 6.30 but not that much. Would have put it down to wind chill if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Suckler

7 degrees in less than 40 miles:eek:. I felt it got a little colder after 6.30 but not that much. Would have put it down to wind chill if anything.

Call me sceptical if you wish, but I never put too much faith in car thermometers. Like you said I think wind chill on these on a moving car is going to be a factor. Hard to beat the auld mercury!

I've worked in places where it hits +50 to +55 during the day!

Mrs FIC left the house to go to work at 7 this morning temp on the car thermometer read 5.5 degrees C when she got to work in Kilkenny at 7.45 the outside temp was -1.5 degrees C. 7 degrees in less than 40 miles:eek:. I felt it got a little colder after 6.30 but not that much. Would have put it down to wind chill if anything.

-3 when I left the house this morning. Went to -5 in longford. Back to -2 in westmeath.

A quick google threw up this. About half way down is a power steering kit (original type) for €420. Would a novice mechanic like me be able to fit this? Does this kit include everything i.e. is there anything else I'd need?

I spoke to the old man about this last night. Ours was put on in 1997. It cost £450 which included 2 new heavier duty front stubs/pins. Local mechanic installed it in about half a day. Don't think it was too big of job.

Depends on how much of a novice mechanic you are. Have you done anything like it before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I spoke to the old man about this last night. Ours was put on in 1997. It cost £450 which included 2 new heavier duty front stubs/pins. Local mechanic installed it in about half a day. Don't think it was too big of job.

Depends on how much of a novice mechanic you are. Have you done anything like it before?

Your old man must have some head to remember what he paid for something in 1997 Reilg. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

-7 to -1 in six miles, back at -7 now and the cattle are hoping the tractor starts for their grub:)

Your old man must have some head to remember what he paid for something in 1997 Reilg. ;)

He can tell you what he paid for stuff in 1970, never mind 1997.
    Engine rebuild in 1996 cost £1250.
    Hydraulic transport box in 1995 cost £700.
    20 diesel in 1972 cost £1000
    Cublcles in 1976 cost £7

I could go on, but I might bore ya! :D

He can tell you what he paid for stuff in 1970, never mind 1997.
    He probably has a small notebook where he wrote it all down.

• Advertisement

He probably has a small notebook where he wrote it all down.

Some lads are just wired that way, and have a remarkable ability to retain detail. I've an uncle and he's some man to tell ya what the weather was like year in year out for the last 60 odd years. I can hardly remember 2 year ago!

A bale of silage on the back will do the same thing! :p

Some lads are just wired that way, and have a remarkable ability to retain detail. I've an uncle and he's some man to tell ya what the weather was like year in year out for the last 60 odd years. I can hardly remember 2 year ago!
    I was at a local historical meeting a while back and the speaker starts talking about a local monumunt, saying that they have no idea what year it was put up. After the meeting, a relative of mine who is in his '80s and a little hard of hearing, starts complaining about how he gave money to the monument in 1964 (or whatever) on the understanding that certain peoples names would go on it and they hadn't. He could even remember how much he gave.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

the bloods came back for the cows as positive for the schmallenberg virus,cows that had a funny calf over a year ago came back as been exsposed to the virus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

That's tough, thanks for letting us know legs. Are you going to be locked up or anything like that?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

****e! This is shaping up to be a national problem.

• Advertisement

Sh1t, that's not good. Legs. You would think with the cold , wet summer we had, insects wouldnt make it over that far from Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭jfh

Bound to happen, there's so much in the UK. we need a winter like 2010.

blue5000 wrote: »
    That's tough, thanks for letting us know legs. Are you going to be locked up or anything like that?
    i have not heard anything so i prezume not,i sold 3 of them in ross mart 2 weeks ago
    Sh1t, that's not good. Legs. You would think with the cold , wet summer we had, insects wouldnt make it over that far from Europe.
    what about all the lorries and cars coming over every day ,bound to be extra passengers on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Sorry to hear that legs, its a tough result to get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

leg wax wrote: »
    the bloods came back for the cows as positive for the schmallenberg virus,cows that had a funny calf over a year ago came back as been exsposed to the virus.
    jeeny,at least you have answers now....what happens next

• Advertisement

Unpalatable as it is, it's better know what you're dealing with. I know it doesn't make things any easier to swallow but chin up, keep plugging away.
    Are there further implications for the rest of your herd do you know?

Sorry to hear it leg wax. Have you had a chance to talk to your vet about when it came in? I think the way it works is if it comes into your herd when the cows are early in calf the foetus is affected. Clinical signs don't then show until later on when they calve down. So by the time you see clinical signs the horse has bolted and it's too late to close the stable door. The good news is it shouldn't be a big problem for you once the initial outbreak is over (I hope I'm right on that one, where's LC when you need him?!)

Regarding restriction by the department I don't see that happening. Diseases they restrict herds for are spread by cattle. This virus is spread by midges. No stopping them thanks to global warming! Yet another condition due to industrialisation and farm intensification.

whelan1 wrote: »
    jeeny,at least you have answers now....what happens next
    i dont know its our vets first case ,they said they got a lot of info from labs in england so i have to get a copy.

From this leaflet on Schmallenberg Virus from the Dept website:

Trade restrictions/movement controls
    The EU does not apply any trade restrictions on live animals, their meat, milk or
    animal by-products in relation to Orthobunyaviruses, as it does not consider that
    these goods pose a risk of transmission of these viruses. No controls will be
    placed on farms with positive cases in Ireland – as is the policy in other EU
    Member States.

Picked up the farmers weekly in Tesco this evening, good articles on BVD.

Came across this story... :o

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/05/12/2012/136568/Machinery-firm-fined-16345000-over-farmer39s.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Father can remember nearly every animal he buys, often an old photo of something or other would be pulled out and in the background some animal would be pictured, he would be able to say where he bought them and for how much. Stockmans brain, I have met a couple of guys like that, they could be away with the fairies for the rest of the day:D. I also have a guy that does a few days with me and similar brain for stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

I knew a guy who could read a crush of cattle, remember the numbers and go in and get the cards. Yes you may say, easy when your own, but this guy was dealing the whole time. Brains to burn.

That's a bum deal leg wax. I'm sorry to hear it!
    Hope you can pick things up and get back to normal farming!!

I knew a guy who could read a crush of cattle, remember the numbers and go in and get the cards. Yes you may say, easy when your own, but this guy was dealing the whole time. Brains to burn.

Al lads come on! Yer either full of it or yer hanging around with lads that are a touch on the autistic spectrum.

I know a lad and if you give him a date, he can tell you straight off the day of the week it falls! I go forward a few years or back to try and catch him out... no way!! When you think each month has a different number of days, leap years etc... it's very very freaky!! He could tell me in 3 seconds what day of the week I was born after giving him my date of birth.... I didn't know myself!!

Muckit wrote: »
    Al lads come on! Yer either full of it or yer hanging around with lads that are a touch on the autistic spectrum.

I know a lad and if you give him a date, he can tell you straight off the day of the week it falls! I go forward a few years or back to try and catch him out... no way!! When you think each month has a different number of days, leap years etc... it's very very freaky!! He could tell me in 3 seconds what day of the week I was born after giving him my date of birth.... I didn't know myself!!

rain man ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement