Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Muckit wrote: »
    Al lads come on! Yer either full of it or yer hanging around with lads that are a touch on the autistic spectrum.

I know a lad and if you give him a date, he can tell you straight off the day of the week it falls! I go forward a few years or back to try and catch him out... no way!! When you think each month has a different number of days, leap years etc... it's very very freaky!! He could tell me in 3 seconds what day of the week I was born after giving him my date of birth.... I didn't know myself!!

I bet he's a very good driver.

Picked up the farmers weekly in Tesco this evening, good articles on BVD.

Came across this story... :o

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/05/12/2012/136568/Machinery-firm-fined-16345000-over-farmer39s.htm

There was this also

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/12/12/2012/136694/Wheat-prices-fall-signalling-start-of-seasonal-lull.htm

No joy for meal prices there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

Al lads come on! Yer either full of it or yer hanging around with lads that are a touch on the autistic spectrum.

I know a lad and if you give him a date, he can tell you straight off the day of the week it falls! I go forward a few years or back to try and catch him out... no way!! When you think each month has a different number of days, leap years etc... it's very very freaky!! He could tell me in 3 seconds what day of the week I was born after giving him my date of birth.... I didn't know myself!!

but is he any good in the bog or drawing bales;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I met an autistic boy once, who would ask you the number plate of your car. When he'd meet you again, often years later, he'd tell you what the number was. He'd do it to everyone he met.
    I'd know the tag number of every animal I have. Well the last 4 digits anyway. I know all their breeding too.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Sometimes I can't even remember my mobile no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

just do it wrote: »
    Sometimes I can't even remember my mobile no!

Same ha, I'm shocking bad at remembering stuff, I don't know how I ever got through college ha, I always was utterly rubbish at spelling etc. I'm fairly sure I'm dyslexic to some small degree (not that I bothered to find out for definite), but when it comes to animals I always have to right down stuff, often on the phone etc if I've nothing else. I've a simple spray marking scheme for the cows though and stick to it religiously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Not full of it and can't be sure if he was on autistic spectrum. But what if he was? Bill gates is on the autism spectrum (aspergers). The guy I knew was a total genius but odd. It's a pity he took his own life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Not full of it and can't be sure if he was on autistic spectrum. But what if he was? Bill gates is on the autism spectrum (aspergers). The guy I knew was a total genius but odd. It's a pity he took his own life.

Apologies Manoffeeling if what I said caused offence. I have absolutely nothing against autistic people. The guy I know and mentioned in my earlier post is autistic. We get on well. If anything I was highlighting that an extraordinary ability for numbers is a gift autistic people possess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Timmaay wrote: »
    Same ha, I'm shocking bad at remembering stuff, I don't know how I ever got through college ha, I always was utterly rubbish at spelling etc. I'm fairly sure I'm dyslexic to some small degree (not that I bothered to find out for definite), but when it comes to animals I always have to right down stuff, often on the phone etc if I've nothing else. I've a simple spray marking scheme for the cows though and stick to it religiously!

I can never remember anything I am supposed to have told the wife :D, I always get "you said you were going to do this and that" or " I told you that" and I can never remember any of it;), strange must get me self checked out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

hugo29 wrote: »
    I can never remember anything I am supposed to have told the wife :D, I always get "you said you were going to do this and that" or " I told you that" and I can never remember any of it;), strange must get me self checked out
    If you can get a tablet that will cure that problem my wife will one happy woman :D I honestly forget half of the things she reckons i say .She has the patients of a saint with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

moy83 wrote: »
    If you can get a tablet that will cure that problem my wife will one happy woman :D I honestly forget half of the things she reckons i say .She has the patients of a saint with me
    I reckon half those things we never say but the wives thinks we said it because they wanted us to have said it (and done it usually!!)
    Its all a conspiracy, call Jim Corr quick......

Apologies Manoffeeling if what I said caused offence. I have absolutely nothing against autistic people. The guy I know and mentioned in my earlier post is autistic. We get on well. If anything I was highlighting that an extraordinary ability for numbers is a gift autistic people possess.

You did not cause offense. If someone is going to be offended by a person that they don't know on an anonymous discussion site, then they need to lighten up. No offence caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Had our first ozs calf born today. Absolute cracker for a limo. big wide calf with a neat head. couldnt recommend him enough. calved out of a first calving limo heifer, nothing special no problem at all. slow for a limo to get up though, took him nearly 2 hrs.

1chippy wrote: »
    Had our first ozs calf born today. Absolute cracker for a limo. big wide calf with a neat head. couldnt recommend him enough. calved out of a first calving limo heifer, nothing special no problem at all. slow for a limo to get up though, took him nearly 2 hrs.
    Great stuff and great to see some good news for you. You'll have to put up a pic, there's been a lot of talk about OZS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

great to see you having a bit of good news to post after all your bad luck. heres hoping that your luck has turned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

There is a very simple mathematical formula for working this it (I can't for the life of me remember it but it is straight forward)

So he is sharp but no genius

• Registered Users Posts: 10 vmfg

Could anyone out there explain the new tagging system for cattle come 1/1/13. I would be most grateful. In plain language please:o:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 vmfg

Could anyone out there explain the new tagging system for cattle come 1/1/13. I would be most grateful. In plain language please:o: Many thanks, in anticipation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

thanks for being patient:rolleyes: this year you order tags as normal, if you have tags left over from this year you order bvd button tags to correlate with these, you order a new set of taggers, around 25 euro.... the bvd tag for next year is part of the 2 tag system no need for 3 tags then iykwim.... you decide who does the test for you

Ella McSweeney calling the lotto numbers !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭limo_100

same as that chippy had one a while back. I'll be using him a good bit this year on heifers and cows. Hes probably the best limousine bull at the minute and everyone that has used him is happy so he seems to be very consistant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭limo_100

anyone any calves from ICR yet? I have one up to him at the minute almost 300days, i wonder is it a regular thing with him, surely its a once off...

High praise from both 1chippy and limo100, over to ICBF for a look quick!!!

What gestation length has he had with you lads? This is one thing that is turning me off LM bulls, particularly for cows with alot of LM breeding in them. It's fecken hard enough to get them calving every 365days without a long gestation thrown in to boot.

Edit: ICBF profile. Good figures but with low reliability. Gestation is excellent at 0.3days for a LM but this figure in particular has low reliability. And no figure at all for docility!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

Where is ozs standing .Is it pg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

limo_100 wrote: »
    anyone any calves from ICR yet? I have one up to him at the minute almost 300days, i wonder is it a regular thing with him, surely its a once off...

There's one at home off him. A super calf, I think calved about 295 days or so, but we would see 300 days up and down. You get sick looking at them again they get to 300 days. I won't be much longer now anyway;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Where is ozs standing .Is it pg

Yeah, he's a Progressive bull.

Tipp Man wrote: »
    There is a very simple mathematical formula for working this it (I can't for the life of me remember it but it is straight forward)

So he is sharp but no genius

There is no mathematical formula for remembering cattle tag numbers. Could you please define genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Delighted to hear the luck has turned Chippy .
    I was a bit nervous of him myself but had a heifer calve down to him 2 weeks ago , and no problems at all despite some of the stories ...

Just had a blue cow calve an ERE heifer calf couple of hours ago and no diffuclties either .
    I thought i was in trouble using him but worked out ok :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

whats the story with dung, when can you pile it up in the field, is it the same as the slurry spreading dates?

Richk2012 wrote: »
    I was a bit nervous of him myself but had a heifer calve down to him 2 weeks ago , and no problems at all despite some of the stories ...
    :confused:

Always remember a figure quoted in college about calving difficulty. A particular bull that ended up with a calving difficulty figure of 7 or 8% and therefore was borderline for recommendation had difficulty figures ranging from 2 or 3% on some farms to 27% in one extreme case. It all came down to dry cow management. If you are doing it right you will have much less problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

whats the story with dung, when can you pile it up in the field, is it the same as the slurry spreading dates?

usually the 15th of Jan in Zone B but presume its the first of Jan this year when landspreading is allowed, Im just going to be ignorant and heap in a quite place from 1st Jan onwards. Some fecker is after tipping 8 loads of dung into a garden of mine in the last few days. Thankfully its also in a quite place:rolleyes:

Supposed to be harvesting the first of my beet today, conditions good but contractor after getting held up working in some bog pulling. Half inch of rain due tonight:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Supposed to be harvesting the first of my beet today, conditions good but contractor after getting held up working in some bog pulling. Half inch of rain due tonight:(
    Any idea what beet is making this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

td5man wrote: »

Fifty notes in the midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Bizzum wrote: »
    Yeah, he's a Progressive bull.

My Ai man reckons demand is huge for him at the moment. Not always that easy landed from heifers though.
    The King of them all up here at the moment is GZP.. straws are pricier but exceptional calves off both cows and heifers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I'm not sure, but the lad in Cork that is sending it up to the anaerobic digester in Derry might be worth a buzz. He must be getting a good price to pay the haulage (or the boat). If you are in Meath, shur your half way there

€70 delivered for sugar beet :eek:, so expensive I cant afford to buy a load to carry me over to pulling my own which I would normally do. Most crops are only 60% of normal and worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

€70 delivered for sugar beet :eek:, so expensive I cant afford to buy a load to carry me over to pulling my own which I would normally do. Most crops are only 60% of normal and worse

we have never fed beat, so don't know what a normal price would be. But bob, do you rekon that the estmitated 30,000 tons going up north is pushing the price up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

How does any farmer up north make money? Considering all the loads of straw that go up also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

usually the 15th of Jan in Zone B but presume its the first of Jan this year when landspreading is allowed, Im just going to be ignorant and heap in a quite place from 1st Jan onwards. Some fecker is after tipping 8 loads of dung into a garden of mine in the last few days. Thankfully its also in a quite place:rolleyes:

Intresting. What is the differences in storage requirements of Dung as opposed to Slurry?

• Advertisement

we have never fed beat, so don't know what a normal price would be. But bob, do you rekon that the estmitated 30,000 tons going up north is pushing the price up here.

Darragh you were in the AD game, why not just load a boat in France where they can get at least another 10t per acre just with the better growing conditions than sticking in on a boat in Cork. Dont make sense to me as something is fishy. presume if the crops are grow locally (within Ireland) the tariff is bigger or else there must be a tax advantage. With your experience could you provide me with a figure of what beet is worth to a AD at say 20% DM, energy figure would be much higer than maize silage, around 50% more energy in a ton of DM beet over a DM ton maize

presume it is having an effect on price but yeild is also. probably lots of guys with contracted tonnages to be filled using the Fodder beet to make up the tonnage of contract thus reducing the supply. Alternatively animal ration is at €330 a ton and 4t of sugar beet would equal it so €60 - 70 a ton is about right in feed terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

How much does it cost to grow an acre of beet in a normal year, what sort of a yield would you get in a dry year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

How much does it cost to grow an acre of beet in a normal year, what sort of a yield would you get in a dry year

Am sure Bob will have more realistic info for you - but ManofFeeling sent me this link, which has some good info in it...

http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2012/1106/Crop_Costs&Returns2012.pdf

no such thing as a normal year :D €800 - €900 depending on rent etc. Its an expensive crop so you have to get a big crop.20t - good yield this year 25t of sugar beet is a good yield, 30 is super, 30+ top of the pops nearly hitting bull**** level. Variety of beet depends on tonnage. You could grow a variety at 15% dm and have a crop up to 45t an acre, or a 22%dm crop would be yielding much more energy at 25t per ac. No years are the same, I spent an arm and a leg on some fields for weed control this year

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

bought limousin heifers off donedeal. man was crying that my cheque wouldn't clear so i told him to keep the cards until it did. weeks passed and no cards. i was very easy on him because his father was sick, eventually the cards arrived... one short and two more registered as fresians. he agreed to take back the one with no card and promised to get the others sorted.
    i'll soon have them 3 months, he has delayed returning my calls, continually promised to have everything sorted by certain dates and not carried through.
    2 weeks ago he told me he would collect the one with no card inside three days.

what should i do? i feel like telling him to collect the whole lot and cover my expenses.

Tell him you are going to ring a solicitor .......

• Advertisement

I'd say mention the solicitor aswell and if that doesnt light a fire under his arse be sure to send the solicitors letter .

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

whelan1 wrote: »
    Tell him you are going to ring a solicitor .......

.....and the Dept.

(but having said that; I'd never do it after a previous incident which I'll elaborate on another time. but the threat of it might work)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Yea no big deal changing the two with wrong breed just apply for new card if in your herd.

Is the third one transferred into your herd also? If so just apply for replacement card.
    You may need your vet to sign it not sure on this.

If none in your herd yet then print off a sellers form for this guy fill it in for him. Call up to him n get it signed by him n post it. When this done then you can do assaid previously for the cards.

Forget solicitors for the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

i didn't want to put words in yer mouths guys but the solicitor was what i was thinking too.

whelan certainly gives plenty of good advice.

i might threaten the dept wes but would never actually do it, solicitor is another story.

the one with no card isn't on my profile.

dunno if you're farming or not jimmy but the breed on the card counts for plenty, it will affects future heifer icbf figures and eligibility for scws.... yes?

thanks, its amazing for all the perfect deals on donedeal theres always a few bad ones

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement