Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

10 6 month olds eating a bag of weanling ration a day and good grass for september and october and bales since dosed twice. e130 on diesel collecting them and e30 on tolls.

what would i ask for expenses, hoping i don't have to add solicitors costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

I hope for your sake the department aren't reading this

I can't believe you took cattle without cards to be honest

tell me about it. feel like an ass since, can only tell it here cos its anonymous.
    i'm not even giving ye d full details, he forged my signature on the movement form because he had left it too late to post it.

if i went to a yard to buy cattle again i would be more observant. i should've known at first glance he was a disaster, place was a mess and he probably had as many rats and cats as cows.

next time i see the likes of it i'll be asking myself what kind of man is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭limo_100

bought limousin heifers off donedeal. man was crying that my cheque wouldn't clear so i told him to keep the cards until it did. weeks passed and no cards. i was very easy on him because his father was sick, eventually the cards arrived... one short and two more registered as fresians. he agreed to take back the one with no card and promised to get the others sorted.
    i'll soon have them 3 months, he has delayed returning my calls, continually promised to have everything sorted by certain dates and not carried through.
    2 weeks ago he told me he would collect the one with no card inside three days.

what should i do? i feel like telling him to collect the whole lot and cover my expenses.

can i ask what difference is the breed on the card going to make? We have limousins registered as CH or AA that we bought in the mart. It doesn't seem to make any difference to them, there still limousins no matter what it says on the card

Bizzum wrote: »
    There's one at home off him. A super calf, I think calved about 295 days or so, but we would see 300 days up and down. You get sick looking at them again they get to 300 days. I won't be much longer now anyway;)

still waiting today, feck her anyway shes left me very tired this last week. Was your hard calved did ya pull him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Ya, it shouln't matter what breed is on the card. Not worth changing it really. Unless you need it for certain schemes like AA or Herdford.

in this part of the country teagasc run 'breeding heifer sales'. The sale is run with a catalogue with values based on the breeding of the heifer. if i was selling heifers in these sales they would be recogonised as half fresian.
    also fresian cows will not qualify for the scws or whatever the new scheme is going to be called.
    i hope i'm being clear?

just do it wrote: »
    High praise from both 1chippy and limo100, over to ICBF for a look quick!!!

What gestation length has he had with you lads? This is one thing that is turning me off LM bulls, particularly for cows with alot of LM breeding in them. It's fecken hard enough to get them calving every 365days without a long gestation thrown in to boot.

Edit: ICBF profile. Good figures but with low reliability. Gestation is excellent at 0.3days for a LM but this figure in particular has low reliability. And no figure at all for docility!
    for me it was 287 days to a charolais cow, i didnt think it was over long for him.

in this part of the country teagasc run 'breeding heifer sales'. The sale is run with a catalogue with values based on the breeding of the heifer. if i was selling heifers in these sales they would be recogonised as half fresian.
    also fresian cows will not qualify for the scws or whatever the new scheme is going to be called.
    i hope i'm being clear?

i have an uncle and he kept some of his fresian cows when he quit the milking and started suckling, hes gets the scws on his fresian cows because i the the paper work for him

If you want a short gestation go with the BB bull, AZL. he is in the top 1% across all breeds. 285 days. Very handy for the late calvers.

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    If you want a short gestation go with the BB bull, AZL. he is in the top 1% across all breeds. 285 days. Very handy for the late calvers.

had him in the quickest gestation i seen in years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Darragh you were in the AD game, why not just load a boat in France where they can get at least another 10t per acre just with the better growing conditions than sticking in on a boat in Cork. Dont make sense to me as something is fishy. presume if the crops are grow locally (within Ireland) the tariff is bigger or else there must be a tax advantage. With your experience could you provide me with a figure of what beet is worth to a AD at say 20% DM, energy figure would be much higer than maize silage, around 50% more energy in a ton of DM beet over a DM ton maize

presume it is having an effect on price but yeild is also. probably lots of guys with contracted tonnages to be filled using the Fodder beet to make up the tonnage of contract thus reducing the supply. Alternatively animal ration is at €330 a ton and 4t of sugar beet would equal it so €60 - 70 a ton is about right in feed terms.

I don't really know how much they were talking about a ton for beet with these digesters, but for grass they were saying 20 pounds a ton for 20% DM, 25 pounds a ton for 25% DM, 30 pounds for 30% DM etc. And that would be the owner of the digester collecting it (up to 8miles away) How that would translate for beet, I don't know. I was more involved in the construction than the nitty gritty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

limo_100 wrote: »
    can i ask what difference is the breed on the card going to make? We have limousins registered as CH or AA that we bought in the mart. It doesn't seem to make any difference to them, there still limousins no matter what it says on the card
    For collecting scws ,if fr is an the card you can't draw it

• Registered Users Posts: 10 vmfg

Many thanks everyone for your invaluable helpful. Much appreciated

caseman wrote: »
    For collecting scws ,if fr is an the card you can't draw it

actually just looking at the book there, there mountbellairds. Maybe hes not getting paid for them i just fill in the form he gets the cheques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

My Ai man reckons demand is huge for him at the moment. Not always that easy landed from heifers though.
    The King of them all up here at the moment is GZP.. straws are pricier but exceptional calves off both cows and heifers.
    Wesley, what price are the Gzp straws?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Wesley, what price are the Gzp straws?

€40 a pop but he said the next batch will be at least €60 due to limited availability.
    Thats getting saucy but is it a lot either if you get the calf you wanted..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

€40 a pop but he said the next batch will be at least €60 due to limited availability.

Well if it's a bull calf you're after each of them will be costing €150 in A.I. charges as a dropped calf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

absolutely lashing here and really dark

• Advertisement

Really bad Weather last night. Saw a high tide this morning, so checked the tide tables. Highest tide this month is for the next 3 days (5.5m in Galway). If more proof was needed that the high tides bring the wind and the rain.

http://www.sailing.ie/Racing/Tides/TidesGalway.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Lads and ladies,

The payment for the Suckler Discussion group is due to be paid out before christmas. All BTAP advisors have received confirmation by email of who in their group has met the 2 required measures and who has not in the last 5 days. It may be worth a call to your BTAP advisor to ensure that you have been approved for payment.

The majority of people who haven't met the 2 measures are those who are doing task 3 (Genetic Merit). Many people opted to use this measure and use a 5 star AI bull on 25% of their herd. The problem is that some of the AI men have not sent back the records of insemination to ICBF as yet and therefore there is no record of you having used this 5 star bull. To get over this, you need to go onto the ICBF website and input the AI codes for each of your cows. If you do this today, it is likely that you may get the payment before christmas!!

If you want a small stocking filler, it might be worth your while to get on top of this!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dairycattle/4304540 :eek: Lets hope thats a prank, or are Jerseys that bad these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

reilig wrote: »
    The payment for the Suckler Discussion group is due to be paid out before christmas.

Anyone know when the Dairy discussion payment is due?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Timmaay wrote: »
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dairycattle/4304540 :eek: Lets hope thats a prank, or are Jerseys that bad these days!

surlry youd get a tenner for them somewhere,dont look too bad in pic,saw jersey in calf cows calving in feb going for 250/300 recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Few weeks ago a JER/FR bull 9 months old went through the ring locally, sold at 90c/kilo. Dont remember the weight though.

Yes, I'd say they are nearly a dead loss if you were to value their feeding properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭tanko

That's some price hike, they were 10 euro a straw in the summer!!!

Anyone know when the Dairy discussion payment is due?
    normally february/ march

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Durrus Boy

tanko wrote: »
    That's some price hike, they were 10 euro a straw in the summer!!!

Just in relation to this topic,what do you guys think is max. reasonable price for beef semen on a commercial basis?

Deal with all the A.I. companies and was clearing the balance on all my accounts this week. Very little discount or extra straws provided by the 'main' companies which surprised me a little (bills only related from Sept. onwards before you ask!!:D)

Personally think €10 a pop is plenty considering there's a long road from purchasing straws to earning a few €€€€ and the 'lucky dip' that animal breeding tends to be!!

Opinions?????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Durrus Boy wrote: »
    Just in relation to this topic,what do you guys think is max. reasonable price for beef semen on a commercial basis?

Deal with all the A.I. companies and was clearing the balance on all my accounts this week. Very little discount or extra straws provided by the 'main' companies which surprised me a little (bills only related from Sept. onwards before you ask!!:D)

Personally think €10 a pop is plenty considering there's a long road from purchasing straws to earning a few €€€€ and the 'lucky dip' that animal breeding tends to be!!

Opinions?????????

i agree with u 10 is max for commercial breeding i try to get cheeper by getting volume without compromising on quality. on pedigrees have paid up as far as €100 per straw which i won't do again 50 -€60 will be tops!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭tanko

I think that the range of straws that can be bought from 8 to 14 euros are good value.There's a lad on donedeal looking for 1300 euros for two vantastic straws, i know he's the in bull at the moment but he'll never get that, will he?!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

I think that the range of straws that can be bought from 8 to 14 euros are good value.There's a lad on donedeal looking for 1300 euros for two vantastic straws, i know he's the in bull at the moment but he'll never get that, will he?!!
    http://www.semenstore.co.uk/view-bull/vantastic/36/
    could you drive over with your tank in the boot or is that illegal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

There's a lad on donedeal looking for 1300 euros for two vantastic straws, i know he's the in bull at the moment but he'll never get that, will he

We have quite a few straws of Vantastic in the flask and the oul fella put two up for auction at a charity event last year - went for £700 each!:)

paviya wrote: »
    I am new user here

welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

http://www.semenstore.co.uk/view-bull/vantastic/36/
    could you drive over with your tank in the boot or is that illegal?

nope. you need health papers and it has to come through a semen collection center.

as for buyinmg straws off donedeal, how do you know his pot didnt go dry and thats why he's flogging them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

yes he'l get it alrite. a friend of mine swaped 2 straws for 2 top drawer embryos! he really is a cracker we have one out our best cow gonna flush her in the new year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

reilig wrote: »
    Lads and ladies,

The payment for the Suckler Discussion group is due to be paid out before christmas. All BTAP advisors have received confirmation by email of who in their group has met the 2 required measures and who has not in the last 5 days. It may be worth a call to your BTAP advisor to ensure that you have been approved for payment.

The majority of people who haven't met the 2 measures are those who are doing task 3 (Genetic Merit). Many people opted to use this measure and use a 5 star AI bull on 25% of their herd. The problem is that some of the AI men have not sent back the records of insemination to ICBF as yet and therefore there is no record of you having used this 5 star bull. To get over this, you need to go onto the ICBF website and input the AI codes for each of your cows. If you do this today, it is likely that you may get the payment before christmas!!

If you want a small stocking filler, it might be worth your while to get on top of this!!
    Reilig I might throw a spanner in the works here but what happens if you do diy ai? Do I just go into icbf and record ai and fill it in and should I be ok?

There's a lad on donedeal looking for 1300 euros for two vantastic straws, i know he's the in bull at the moment but he'll never get that, will he

We have quite a few straws of Vantastic in the flask and the oul fella put two up for auction at a charity event last year - went for £700 each!:)

Or you could use either of his sons in NCBC, TVR or GWO for a €10 or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

What sort of super bull is "vantastic"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Lads and ladies, has anyone come across a constipated calf, few days ago he had milk scour, gave him a shot of bimostat, now he going around as if he is trying to push a bale of silage out of his ass,

hugo29 wrote: »
    What sort of super bull is "vantastic"

http://www.wilodge.com/html/limousin.html

His 1/2 brother Wilodge Cerberus. He's every bit as good, if not better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

Lads and ladies, has anyone come across a constipated calf, few days ago he had milk scour, gave him a shot of bimostat, now he going around as if he is trying to push a bale of silage out of his ass,

It could be cocidosis if hes forcing constantly, was there any blood in the milk scour a few days ago?

went to causey farm in county meath today, for the santa experience, anyone thinking of opening an open farm should go there, it was fantastic... kids loved it, had michael o leary of ryanair and his family in our group:o

whelan1 wrote: »
    went to causey farm in county meath today, for the santa experience, amyone thinking of opening an open farm should go there, it was frantastic... kids loved it, had michael o leary of ryanair and his family in our gruop:o
    A nice man.

A nice man.
    yup. very down to earth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

A couple of months ago a lad up the road was telling me that I was cracked using limo straws on our cows because they were poor sellers in the mart and would only get worse :rolleyes: There is no talking to this lad , he is always right and himself and his father often give me an ould dig because we only usually keep small black cows instead of charlies or blues that they use .
    Anyhow I was passing this evening when they called me in to show me six "cheap" suck calves they were after buying . Six 2wk old rotbunt bull calves at E200 each :D that are like blues he said but they dont muscle up as quick
    It made my evening to see them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

moy83 wrote: »
    A couple of months ago a lad up the road was telling me that I was cracked using limo straws on our cows because they were poor sellers in the mart and would only get worse :rolleyes: There is no talking to this lad , he is always right and himself and his father often give me an ould dig because we only usually keep small black cows instead of charlies or blues that they use .
    There's one in every parish :rolleyes:
    that are like blues he said but they dont muscle up as quick
    Sweet :). Are he's blues dual purpose as well?! ;)

just do it wrote: »
    There's one in every parish :rolleyes:

Sweet :). Are he's blues dual purpose as well?! ;)
    Should be milky alright I think the red is in them because they would be something like a simmental x blue . He will be getting around E700 for them in april/may he told me :D:D

moy83 wrote: »
    Should be milky alright I think the red is in them because they would be something like a simmental x blue . He will be getting around E700 for them in april/may he told me :D:D
    Great business move on his behalf so!! There's a few of them in every parish, all you can do is massage their ego a bit more!!

Great business move on his behalf so!! There's a few of them in every parish, all you can do is massage their ego a bit more!!
    I wouldnt usually like to see someone being codded but these lads got under my skin a few times so I left them as wise as they were about them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

I have had it. He would get up and walk a bit then sit down. He didn't look sick but knew he had a pain. Had a temp of 38. I assume you know how to arouse the bowel, for want of a better word. Plenty of parrafin oil and an antibiotic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement